Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2012   #21
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shawntee Spencer rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
More players need to do that in my opinion. I've turned down jobs that would have paid better, but they weren't as good of a fit for me as a slightly lower paying job. In the long run, it worked out - I make more and have a higher position now because of my performance than I would have made in the other job. I also want to be in a position where I can do great work, no just get paid more. Getting pid more to work for a bad company would drive me nuts after a while - it's harder to put out a max effort at a bad company once you've been there a while living in a culture of mediocrity.

Same thing might be true for players - they may earn less money, but they could wind up with Super Bowl rings, Pro Bowl nods, or even HOF status by choosing a better fit over more $$$.

Money isn't everything. Nobody really remembers a player years later for their big contract, because someone else will have always had a bigger one later. They'll remember them for their play, so fit becomes important. If a player cares about "legacy" they should care about fit, too.

These comments are in general - in no way is Myers a HOF center, but the general concept applies.

Note: I fully appreciate that players feel the need to maximize their earnings in their short careers, and that money is the only thing that drives some people.

Im not sure you can compare everyday joe and his career to a NFL player who on avg plays something around 3 years. If you were faced with the chance to sign a big money contract knowing you had a much shorter timeframe to make your money I think your choices might be different
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #22
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

HoustonDiehards.com ‏ @HoustonDiehards
@LanceZierlein right, I'm talking as if the Wells thing isn't imminent, LOL. Myers gonna be disappointed w/his real value vs Rosenhaus value
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #23
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Double tapped

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #24
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Im not sure you can compare everyday joe and his career to a NFL player who on avg plays something around 3 years. If you were faced with the chance to sign a big money contract knowing you had a much shorter timeframe to make your money I think your choices might be different
Maybe, but I know I'd rather be a champion and make $40M than be a guy who made $50M and never made the playoffs - but that has to do with my own beliefs, personality and work ethic. I like to be the best, and my personal measuring stick isn't just cash. I'm not saying I'd play for the minimum or something, the cash is a large part of it, but I'd take a little less if it meant I could be a better player and be in a better position to excel.

I know there are plenty who would and obviously do take the money, even though they know they're going into a situation where the only success they'll see is their paycheck. There's a deeper discussion we could get into, but I doubt I'd change anyone's mind. People are either wired that way or they're not, no matter what their profession is.

Apologies for the thread drift.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #25
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
I am starting to think that the more time goes by the better as far as Myers, The reason is he has visited a couple teams and left without a deal so he has to be seeing his true value.
Possible. Or maybe he's doing the Texans a solid by not signing with anyone, giving the Texans a chance to draw up a matching contract or at least something close... You never know...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I'd honestly prefer them to move on from the split time thing next season.

I supported it wholly last year and it worked to good effect, but now I feel its time for Kareem to sink or swim, and if it was to be sink, I think it'd be time to see what Harris and Roc are bringing to the party, having had a year of coaching.

I know some people will be apoplectic at the thought of this, but I trust Wade to be able to scheme through any inherent weakness and I expect a first rounder to be able to hold his own at this point.

If not, at the end of next season, I will be on the goodbye Kareem bandwagon, although I really don't believe it would come to that.

This isn't to say that them looking at Spencer would mean that they would definitely start him/put him in the Allen role, but then, if he's not going to play, then why load up at CB again when we have this perpetual movement of young CB's on our roster who never get the chance.

Molden went to the Pats last year and started at times. Ok he wasn't great, but he never saw the field for us even through 2010!!
While I agree on KJ and the backups (sink or swim) not sure I see it after watching the trial of Jacoby.
Old 03-19-2012   #27
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Signed with the Raiders

@espn_afcwest Raiders add Shawntae Spencer es.pn/FQ6Sok
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read