Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2012   #21
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Compensatory picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
We need Mario to be healthy and have a dominant year this year. Unless we bring in Manning we should be in shape to get a 3rd round pick. I'd just hate to have him be hurt this season and then have 5 great years after that and we'd get nothing.
I don't believe his performance matters. It's about the contract that he signs. Being the largest in NFL history, I can't see us getting any lower than a 3rd for him. And no way do we sign anyone anywhere near that kind of contract, so it's a safe bet we'll get at least one pick for him next year. Thanks, Buffalo!
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #22
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

In this article it says playing time is part of the formula. This is for last season's draft, though. I don't know if any changes were made in the new CBA.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...ks-to-23-clubs
Old 03-16-2012   #23
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
In this article it says playing time is part of the formula. This is for last season's draft, though. I don't know if any changes were made in the new CBA.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...ks-to-23-clubs
The new CBA states that "the rules and proceedures regarding compensatory draft selections previously agreed upon by the NFL & NFLPA shall reman in effect, subsequent to any future changes as to which the parties may agree."

Unless they had some separate negotiations to deal with compensatory picks after the new CBA that we don't know about, the rules are the same.
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #24
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

does this mean if we sign some FA punter (other than turk), we're gonna get nothing for mario? or does it mean we get a 4/5/6 instead of a 3?

also what about backups/camp bodies? do they count?

edit: nvm i looked it up

for any1 else wondering, basically we'll prob get a lesser pick if we sign the same amount of qualifying FA's as we lose. if we sign more fa's than we lose we get nothing.

...and obviously camp bodies dont qualify as they dont make the salary requirements
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #25
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going to attempt to keep a running total

Qualifying free agetns lost

Mario Willaims
Mike Breisel

Qualifying free signed

none

Texans 2-0

woiuld get 2 compensatory picks in the 2013 draft as St. Patrick's Day 2012
Old 03-17-2012   #26
MidtownMikey
Rookie

Rep Power: 2083 MidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thing to consider is when the free-agent is signed. From my understanding, signings after June 1st do not qualify unless their previous team made them a qualifying offer (at least a 10% raise over previous salary). It would not surprise me then if to guarantee the comp picks and also to first try to fill in the draft that signings of depth from other teams occurs after June 1st. The Texans also tend to like to look at waivers of other teams during training camp.

I would like to see us sign Rackers before the draft though. If they don't, that might be a signal they truly do want to draft the A&M kicker in a late round.
MidtownMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #27
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is, can you receive a pick higher than the 3rd round?

If so, then I'm going to be rooting for Mario to get 20 sacks (0 against us) next year & that he plays in every game.

As for the issue of losing the 3rd or higher pick by signing an equal number of FA's, the team has to decide if the player they're pursuing in free agency is better than any player they could find at that point in the draft.

For example, would you value these players higher than a late 3rd round pick if they were in the draft this year?

Peyton Manning (QB)
Michael Bush (RB)
Brandon Lloyd (WR)
David Hawthorne (MLB/OLB)
Laron Landry (SS)
Reggie Nelson (FS)
Demetrius Bell (OT)
Marcus McNeil (OT)

I know there are age & health concerns with some of these players, but if they fill a need & can help you win now, would they be worth a late 3rd round pick?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #28
MidtownMikey
Rookie

Rep Power: 2083 MidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respected

If the player signed has more value than a 3rd round pick, then sure, I'd be in favor of signing them.

My worry would be if they signed a different kicker than Rackers and something like that cost us the 3rd round pick. That I would not be in favor of. One potential option (though not likely valid with our salary cap issues) is to sign a player but then cut them before week 9 so they don't count for the compensatory picks (at least it sounds from what I read they have to be on the team or IR for 9 weeks to count).

And no, you cannot get better than a 3rd round pick from compensatory picks.
MidtownMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #29
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

So far the Texans are 3-0 in the comp pick running.

Players Lost (my estimate):
Mario (3rd)
Brisiel (5th)
Jason Allen (6/7th)

All three should qualify for picks. It would be nice to have lots of picks next year, because we will likely lose a lot of depth due to being up against the cap after re-signing Duane Brown, Schaub and Barwin.
Old 03-17-2012   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So far the Texans are 3-0 in the comp pick running.

Players Lost (my estimate):
Mario (3rd)
Brisiel (5th)
Jason Allen (6/7th)

All three should qualify for picks. It would be nice to have lots of picks next year, because we will likely lose a lot of depth due to being up against the cap after re-signing Duane Brown, Schaub and Barwin.
Of course, the Texans would need to have a net 3 loss to be awarded these picks.

Mario (3rd) - absolutely
Brisiel (5th) - I think this is correct, seeing that the Vikings received a 5th after losing Matt Birk (whose contract averaged $ 4 million/year) to the Ravens.
Jason Allen (6/7th) - Haven't seen what Allen signed for. I think he will need to sign a contract that averages more than $2 million/year to get the pick in the 6th round.
Old 03-17-2012   #31
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
My question is, can you receive a pick higher than the 3rd round?
No, the earliest compensatory selections occur between the 3rd and 4th rounds.
Old 03-17-2012   #32
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
For example, would you value these players higher than a late 3rd round pick if they were in the draft this year?

Peyton Manning (QB)
Michael Bush (RB)
Brandon Lloyd (WR)
David Hawthorne (MLB/OLB)
Laron Landry (SS)
Reggie Nelson (FS)
Demetrius Bell (OT)
Marcus McNeil (OT)
Manning and some of the other players listed wouldn't count against the compensatory pick formula, because they are considered "street" free agents. They were cut or released rather than have their contracts expire.
Old 03-17-2012   #33
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Of course, the Texans would need to have a net 3 loss to be awarded these picks.

Mario (3rd) - absolutely
Brisiel (5th) - I think this is correct, seeing that the Vikings received a 5th after losing Matt Birk (whose contract averaged $ 4 million/year) to the Ravens.
Jason Allen (6/7th) - Haven't seen what Allen signed for. I think he will need to sign a contract that averages more than $2 million/year to get the pick in the 6th round.
I was thinking of Wade Smith as a comparison. He netted the Chiefs a 6th, but he signed for 4 years 12 million. Brisiel got 4 years 20 million, so I figure he ought to be worth about a 5th depending on playtime. Possibly a 4th, but I doubt it.

I haven't seen Allen's numbers yet, but I'm guessing it will be 2 mill a year. That could be 6/7th depending on playtimie. I also expect us to sign some scrapheap FAs, so we probably will cancel him out anyways.
Old 03-17-2012   #34
Lucky

Quote:
I also expect us to sign some scrapheap FAs, so we probably will cancel him out anyways.
Only if the free agents the Texans sign receive a qualifying offer (usually over $1 million/year). Plus, the Texans could still lose Dreessen and Rackers. I can't see the Texans going on a free agent spending spree that would endanger the Mario compensatory pick, and I think the Texans will wind up with at least 3.
Old 03-17-2012   #35
Xcellerator
Veteran

Rep Power: 231 Xcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respectedXcellerator is a quality contributor and well respected

Allen signed for 2/8.2Million! Whoa! Overpaid.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/17...nd-8-2-million
Xcellerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #36
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellerator View Post

Holy crap! That's great news for us! Might push his comp pick up to a 5th, or at least a 6th I would assume. Never thought he would get more than 2.5 million a year. I guess the Bengals are hard up after not signing any free agents before yesterday.
Old 03-18-2012   #37
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we get anything for a UFA? We could have signed them at any time during their period with the team and didnt, and now they sign with another team and we get compensated? That doesnt seem right.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #38
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Why would we get anything for a UFA? We could have signed them at any time during their period with the team and didnt, and now they sign with another team and we get compensated? That doesnt seem right.
Well, the system has been in place since the salary cap era began. Nothing new.

And there can be good players plucked with these picks. Among the notable compensatory selections are Hines Ward, Marques Colston, Larry Allen, and this QB that New England picked up after the regular portion of the 6th round in 2000. Tom Brady, I believe, is his name.
Old 03-18-2012   #39
Lucky

Quote:
Holy crap! That's great news for us! Might push his comp pick up to a 5th, or at least a 6th I would assume. Never thought he would get more than 2.5 million a year. I guess the Bengals are hard up after not signing any free agents before yesterday.
Yes, maybe back-to-back picks in the 5th for Allen and Briesel. I thought the guy did an OK job for the Texans, but no way is he a $4 millon/year player. Cincy has too much cap room on their hands and no one wants to take it.
Old 03-18-2012   #40
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Mario (3rd) - absolutely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellerator View Post

Curent qualifying loses 3
no qualify signing yet

running total 3 compensatory picks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read