Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2012   #41
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Replacements... Who should we target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Texan View Post
Why is everyone so concerened with getting a def player with the first pick. thats where you pick up supposed starters not back ups. While i think we should look for depth in the draft I also think our starter last year with the exception of NT are great. DOnt get me wrong our NTs are servicable if we dont upgrade but a space eating NT would be great.
This has been re-hashed on the board so many times. We don't need a big space eater. Wade runs a one-gap system that utilizes guys who can penetrate. He made Jay Ratliff a pro bowl NT in Dallas and they guy weighs like 295.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #42
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Raider cut:

Wimbley was an effective pass rusher in his two seasons with the Raiders with 16 sacks. He had seven sacks, 21.5 quarterback knockdowns and 9.5 hurries last season, according to STATS LLC, although much of that production came in a dominant four-sack performance at San Diego.

Wimbley will likely be highly sought after now that he is a free agent. He has experience playing outside linebacker and defensive end in 4-3 alignments, as well as outside linebacker in 3-4 systems.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1pKQt1BH6

Affordable?

Old 03-17-2012   #43
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Raider cut:

Wimbley was an effective pass rusher in his two seasons with the Raiders with 16 sacks. He had seven sacks, 21.5 quarterback knockdowns and 9.5 hurries last season, according to STATS LLC, although much of that production came in a dominant four-sack performance at San Diego.

Wimbley will likely be highly sought after now that he is a free agent. He has experience playing outside linebacker and defensive end in 4-3 alignments, as well as outside linebacker in 3-4 systems.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1pKQt1BH6

Affordable?

would loooooove me some Wimbley, don't think they get him UNLESS and I am sure I will get the sink thrown at me, they release DeMeco Ryans and use that money to sign Wimbley.

I say this becasue I think in this 3-4 scheme you could use Wimbley both inside and outside in certain packages. He could play inside with Cush (Wimbley is 6'4" and 255), then move outside on 3rd downs or in nickle and dime situations. He could stay on the field for most of the snaps where with Ryans, you couldn't do that....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #44
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
would loooooove me some Wimbley, don't think they get him UNLESS and I am sure I will get the sink thrown at me, they release DeMeco Ryans and use that money to sign Wimbley.
DeMeco's contract is problematic. He has four years left, and his signing bonus was amortized at $1.25M/yr. So, we'd still have to pay $5M against the cap if we cut him. That would net $2.15M in cap savings, assuming he has no other guaranteed money remaining. Do you think Wimbley would sign for $2M or so?

Another point though - it could easily be worth it to cut DeMeco and take the cap hit this year in order to free up money to keep Brown, Schaub or other QB, and Barwin next year, though. DeMeco's contract is really going to be hurting us if his play doesn't pick up to match the dollars this year.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #45
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

My sleeper pick at guard is Will Blackwell LSU . Why ... He's used to being on a winner and he's a converted DE which means he's got a nasty streak . He came out of nowhere to get 1st team all SEC , which means he can play .
Old 03-17-2012   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Affordable?
The Texans are so poor, they don't have enough money to pay attention.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

This defense wouldn't be the same without Demeco. Maybe after Cushing has another year things will be different. Everyone acts as if Demeco had a bad year. He started off slow obviously still not fully recovered from last years injury but, got better and started looking like his old self towards the end of the year. I hunk this year he will be back to pre injury form.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read