Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2012   #181
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So... WTF is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
If they wait too long they're sitting on their thumbs, if they act now they're overreacting... People need to simmer down...

We learned last year that this FO has no problem waiting a little, then pulling the trigger at the right time... It's still been less than 72 hours since this whole mess started, it's early... Hell, took 'em four days last year to make a splash and there was a shorter time period to that FAgency...

The "are we there yet? are we there yet?" crowd needs to just sit in the back and settle down...
A year ago we were all worried about the lack of movement with Nnamdi. The team made their offer, was patient, and then grabbed a better value when it was apparent that Nnamdi wasn't coming here.
Old 03-16-2012   #182
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Good post. And Vince Young is still out there so there is hope.
FYL
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #183
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
I had hoped they would take a look at Meachem, but...what worries me is that pancakes is talking about how well Butler will fill the hole left by Winston's departure. Smells like 12-16 sacks from the right tackle position.
Because Butler was so terrible filling in for Brown?
Old 03-16-2012   #184
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'd totally be good with this plan. Additionally I would cut J.J. (Wright becomes our new PR). Then keep the best between LeStar Jean and Jeff Maehl, and hold onto K.W. for another year (to help groom whichever youngster wins) then and we're five deep. Now we still don't have an A.J. replacement unit. We need a big, physical WR for that. But there's always next year to fill that need.
I say wrong to Wright.

The Texans don't need a high-end and/or highly paid slot receiver - and that's all Wright will be, IMO.

If we can't get Floyd, then we go for Hill. There's your 2 NFL ready guys right there. I believe Jeffery is ready as well - despite his sub-par 40.

You never know:AJ's replacement might be right there. Of course at this stage I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans didn't go WR at all until the later rounds. All of this is predicated on how the FAs are handled, yes? Yes.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #185
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I say wrong to Wright.

The Texans don't need a high-end and/or highly paid slot receiver - and that's all Wright will be, IMO.

If we can't get Floyd, then we go for Hill. There's your 2 NFL ready guys right there. I believe Jeffery is ready as well - despite his sub-par 40.

You never know:AJ's replacement might be right there. Of course at this stage I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans didn't go WR at all until the later rounds. All of this is predicated on how the FAs are handled, yes? Yes.
In what way is Stephen Hill NFL ready...?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #186
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Hill has said himself he needs to work on his route running and that he didn't run a wide variety of routes in college. He wasn't asked to do much more than block and go deep. He will need practice a lot more on his intermediate/short routes before he's ready to be a big help on every down, IMO. He could be very good in the future, but I don't think he can be proclaimed to be NFL ready as of today. He does certainly have a lot of athletic ability though, to say the least.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #187
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's yet to be seen with Stephen Hill, where he's drafted and by what team - but if you go in the first 2 rounds, as Hill is projected, you had better be NFL ready.

"NFL Ready" to me means you're producing at a high level within two years of your draft. That's either a.) Accounts for a big freshman year or b.) Accounts for not too big of a sophomore slump or c.) Showing brief flashes as a rookie but really turning it on in your second year.

This does not, however, account for injuries or being on a team who doesn't cater to your skillset, which has been known to hamper players.

In that Hill is an exeptional blocker with elite speed, right now, and he already runs less sloppy routes than Jacoby Jones, in theory, even though we know the draft is a crap shoot, if the Texans drafted him, I see that he'd be an upgrade over JJ, at the very least. Too bad JJ wasn't "NFL Ready" in my book. More like the soup line ready since day-one.
Old 03-16-2012   #188
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
None of those guys are NFL ready outside of Blackmon. These aren't AJ Green/Julio Jones caliber.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #189
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
It's yet to be seen with Stephen Hill, where he's drafted and by what team - but if you go in the first 2 rounds, as Hill is projected, you had better be NFL ready.

"NFL Ready" to me means you're producing at a high level within two years of your draft. That's either a.) Accounts for a big freshman year or b.) Accounts for not too big of a sophomore slump or c.) Showing brief flashes as a rookie but really turning it on in your second year.

This does not, however, account for injuries or being on a team who doesn't cater to your skillset, which has been known to hamper players.

In that Hill is an exeptional blocker with elite speed, right now, and he already runs less sloppy routes than Jacoby Jones, in theory, even though we know the draft is a crap shoot, if the Texans drafted him, I see that he'd be an upgrade over JJ, at the very least. Too bad JJ wasn't "NFL Ready" in my book. More like the soup line ready since day-one.
Teams draft off potential. Hill will get drafted in the top 40 because of his measureables despite the fact that he's not ready to see the field. If you want someone who will see the field early then don't draft this guy. If you want a project player who could possibly/eventually be a beast in a few years then you take him.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-16-2012   #190
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
None of those guys are NFL ready outside of Blackmon. These aren't AJ Green/Julio Jones caliber.
Michael Floyd. Floyd is actually the most pro ready WR in this draft, IMO. More so than Blackmon even.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-16-2012   #191
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68887 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Dammit! I cant believe Brisiel is a Raider!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #192
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Dammit! I cant believe Brisiel is a Raider!
They paid a little more than I thought he'd get. I guess when you don't have draft picks you have to go after FA hard if you want people - at least we aren't in their position.

Old 03-16-2012   #193
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68887 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
They paid a little more than I thought he'd get. I guess when you don't have draft picks you have to go after FA hard if you want people - at least we aren't in their position.
True, but I was hoping to see Biscuit back in a Texans uni.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #194
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Quote:
Michael Floyd. Floyd is actually the most pro ready WR in this draft, IMO. More so than Blackmon even.
I agree with you, in theory, about Floyd. But I don't believe you take any "projects" based upon "potential" in the top-40 or even the top-60 of the draft unless they are a QB or a CB.

Having said that, after the aforementioned positions, WR is so difficult to grade. For every AJ Green you'll have 2 Charles Rodgers, Quincy Morgans and Troy Edwards. Moreover, there's always some kids taken in the 3rd-7th, every year, that blows up. Guys like Stephen Hill, given the right psychological atmosphere, who have underachieved in college because of scheme are prime candidates to blow up in the NFL, though of course nothing is a given.

Yet, overall, we're still talking about the Texans. If they're going to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd, I'm just saying it better be someone who's ready to play. The way it looks, however, is that they'll not go that route, and it will probably be someone like Dwight Jones or Tommy Streeter. Projects. While we still have Jacoby Jones on roster: "A project."

I simply think there's less of a chance that Hill will be a project. But I'm not really trusting the FO right now, so really, I don't know sh!t.
Old 03-16-2012   #195
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
True, but I was hoping to see Biscuit back in a Texans uni.
Me, too, at least we kept Myers.

Old 03-16-2012   #196
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

We just signed Myers, that is what is going on! Going to drink a couple of cold ones tonight. We really needed that.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read