Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2012   #161
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cleveland Browns Rumors: Talks for Houston Texans RB Ben Tate Surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Who do you replace Tate with?
There are alot of FA RB's out there, and im sure a few of them fit our scheme. Thats for Gary and his staff to decide.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/running-back/

Also the draft will produce a few zone runners in the later rounds or Undrafted Free Agents. Here are a couple.

Bernard Pierce, Temple
Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati
Robert Turbin, Utah State
LaMichael James, Oregon
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #162
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cleveland Browns Rumors: Talks for Houston Texans RB Ben Tate Surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Winston already visited Miami and has visits scheduled with St Louis, KC, Baltimore and Detroit. He is a hot commodity and the best OT remaining in free agency. I really can't imagine he would have no trade value even at 4.5 million a year non-guaranteed. The Browns just released OG Eric Steinbach who took 6 million off their cap. They already had some room before that, and could have easily fit Winston into their lineup. Pair him and Ben Tate together and you should be able to snag their 2nd and 3rd round picks easily or #22 and a late 4th.
You are not paying enough attention the NFL if you think this.
Old 03-15-2012   #163
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Derrick Ward?
LT?
Tim Hightower?
BenJarvus Green-Ellis?
Ryan Grant?

Cyrus Grey in the 4th!

Lots of option. They aren't better than Tate, but they can take some carries.
Wasn't being critical just want some options to think on. I like Ward but he will be 32 even if not a lot of wear.

I was reviewing Grey this morning but like Turbin better.
Old 03-15-2012   #164
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wasn't being critical just want some options to think on. I like Ward but he will be 32 even if not a lot of wear.

I was reviewing Grey this morning but like Turbin better.
I'm good to go with Turbin, too. That makes three of us who like Turbin.
Old 03-15-2012   #165
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You are not paying enough attention the NFL if you think this.
I get it, trades are less common in the NFL, but it's a matter of need vs value. Look at this guy:

Jared Gaither got $9 M guaranteed, $13.5 M in the first 2 years of his deal with the Chargers. $18.5 M in first 3 yrs

A guy who played in 26 of 48 games over the last 3 years got that much, and you don't think Winston at 4.5 million a year is an attractive contract? Winston hasn't missed a start since he was given the position in 2006. The dude is worth that much for sure.
Old 03-15-2012   #166
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Derrick Ward?
LT?
Tim Hightower?
BenJarvus Green-Ellis?
Ryan Grant?

Cyrus Grey in the 4th!

Lots of option. They aren't better than Tate, but they can take some carries.
Yes. A bruiser who doesn't go backwards and has yet to fumble. A good second back IMHO.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #167
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get it, trades are less common in the NFL, but it's a matter of need vs value. Look at this guy:

Jared Gaither got $9 M guaranteed, $13.5 M in the first 2 years of his deal with the Chargers. $18.5 M in first 3 yrs

A guy who played in 26 of 48 games over the last 3 years got that much, and you don't think Winston at 4.5 million a year is an attractive contract? Winston hasn't missed a start since he was given the position in 2006. The dude is worth that much for sure.
I am not saying that it should not be the way you are thinking, but the NFL values (over probably) draft picks greatly. I didn't feel like looking it up, but I can't remember the last straight 1st rounder for player trade.
Old 03-15-2012   #168
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am not saying that it should not be the way you are thinking, but the NFL values (over probably) draft picks greatly. I didn't feel like looking it up, but I can't remember the last straight 1st rounder for player trade.
Carson Palmer for a 1st and more last year to go to the Raiders. Tate is highly unlikely to get a 1st though, I agree with you there.
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #169
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm thinking thunderkyss and Bill can both kiss my ass.

The pill referance was the the move Matrix by the way. I'm surprised no one caught that.
Oh, I caught it.

Just thought you might need that other blue pill.

Old 03-15-2012   #170
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL Close
Ben Tate has 2 years left on his contract....
That's another reason it's difficult to get a good draft pick for a player. The Browns can draft a RB and have him under contract for 4 or 5 years.
Old 03-15-2012   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winston already visited Miami and has visits scheduled with St Louis, KC, Baltimore and Detroit. He is a hot commodity and the best OT remaining in free agency. I really can't imagine he would have no trade value even at 4.5 million a year non-guaranteed.

Pair him and Ben Tate together and you should be able to snag their 2nd and 3rd round picks easily or #22 and a late 4th.
OJT.

Rick Smith is making the Colts GM look like a seasoned pro.
Old 03-15-2012   #172
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yes. A bruiser who doesn't go backwards and has yet to fumble. A good second back IMHO.
With our luck his first fumble would come with us and be really, REALLY important.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #173
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
The reason they lead in passes dropped was because Colt McCoy was woefully underthrowing and missing WRs.
Your sentence doesn't even make any sense. If he was missing the WRs, there'd no chance at dropping the ball.

Cleveland have other needs before they go and ruin another QB. The only linemen they have that's worth anything is Joe Thomas and maybe Alex Mack. Their best target is Ben freaking Watson... That should tell you about their WRs... Greg Little could be a decent WR but he simply drops too much. Not to mention Colt had little to no help in the run game, since Hillis and Hardesty(sp?) were hurt for some of the season and weren't very effective when they were in the games. To blame Colt for all of those drops is just ridiculous, and there's not QB worth getting in this draft unless Luck or RGIII somehow don't get drafted by the Colts or Redskins. The Browns needs to improve their offense with skill players this year and if Colt doesn't pan out, next year QB class is DEEP.

That said, I wouldn't even attempt to trade Ben Tate unless the Browns are willing to give up their 22nd pick. Ben Tate is a proven player who's going to get better, and we need a good backup for Foster, and Tate is the perfect guy for that.
Old 03-15-2012   #174
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But Gaither didn't cost a draft choice and a contract. All the Chargers had to do was pay Gaither.

What is a draft pick worth in NFL money? That's a part of the equation that teams have computed but fans don't have a handle on.
Old 03-15-2012   #175
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do we have to have a back up OLB in first?
Not necessarily. But I'm thinking (and I know all this is imaginary) that if we give one of the firsts to Wade, he's gonna want to replace the first string pass rusher he just lost (to those A-holes who FIRED him no less!). I just figure Wade will want to fill out the OLB rotation. Even Uncle Bob said the other day that Wade would like to have 3 studs in that rotation.

And if Wade picks him, maybe he won't be the backup. Maybe he leap frogs Brooks.

Are you good with only Barwin, Reed, Nading, and Braman? Because that's all the OLBs we have on the roster now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #176
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Not necessarily. But I'm thinking (and I know all this is imaginary) that if we give one of the firsts to Wade, he's gonna want to replace the first string pass rusher he just lost (to those A-holes who FIRED him no less!). I just figure Wade will want to fill out the OLB rotation. Even Uncle Bob said the other day that Wade would like to have 3 studs in that rotation.
And if Wade picks him, maybe he won't be the backup. Maybe he leap frogs Brooks.

Are you good with only Barwin, Reed, Nading, and Braman? Because that's all the OLBs we have on the roster now.
Honest question....what's wrong with Braman? Dude showed some flashes as a rookie. I think we forget about him.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #177
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
There are alot of FA RB's out there, and im sure a few of them fit our scheme. Thats for Gary and his staff to decide.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/running-back/

Also the draft will produce a few zone runners in the later rounds or Undrafted Free Agents. Here are a couple.

Bernard Pierce, Temple
Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati
Robert Turbin, Utah State
LaMichael James, Oregon
Yeah I like Turbin in 4th only if we lose Tate.
Old 03-15-2012   #178
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Honest question....what's wrong with Braman? Dude showed some flashes as a rookie. I think we forget about him.
James Harrison was cut from the Steelers twice before he became the player we know today.

That said, there is nothing wrong with Brahman & we aren't forgetting about him. I think we need three talented pass rushers before we can say "we're set" at OLB. Brahman is a maybe.

We can't count Brahman & not address the position in the offseason & expect to do as well next year as we did in 2011.

Think of it like this. In 2009, Glover Quin was our best CB, Brice McCain was arguably our second. We ditched Dunta, drafted a first round rookie & viola.......

Right now, Brahman is a fraction of a hair better than a second day draft pick; as far as projections go.
Old 03-16-2012   #179
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Nothing's wrong with him but he was mainly a special teams guy. I didn't see anything that said he's ready to be a key part of the OLB rotation. Dressed out all 16 games - only 8 tackles. As a comparison, Nading saw action in 11 games and had 11 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.

I guess I'd just like to see an upgrade.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #180
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Nothing's wrong with him but he was mainly a special teams guy. I didn't see anything that said he's ready to be a key part of the OLB rotation. Dressed out all 16 games - only 8 tackles. As a comparison, Nading saw action in 11 games and had 11 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.

I guess I'd just like to see an upgrade.
Braman is a great back end of the roster player with starter potential. I love the guy. ...

My 11 year old son is a very thoughtful, mature young man. One day, barring the unforeseen, he will make a very reliable driver. However, I'm not handing him my keys, the car, and a license yet. I'm going to wait for things to unfold and see how he handles adolescence.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read