Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2012   #21
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild
Default Re: It's to early to panic over the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You seem to be focusing on only Oline, maybe SMith is trying to make entire roster better?
Without the o'line the the offense goes nowhere and no matter the skill players on the offense their talent will be wasted

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #22
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking Konz in first and or Blake in 3/4 could play both C and OG. I really enjoyed watching Phillip Blake in the Baylor offense.
Love all these guys

Peter Konz C Wisconsin Jr 6-5 314 1-2
Philip Blake C Baylor Sr 6-2 311 4
David Molk C Michigan Sr 6-1 298 5
Garth Gerhart C Arizona State Sr 6-1 305 6-7
William Vlachos C Alabama Sr 6-0 306 7-FA

David DeCastro OG Stanford Jr 6-5 316 1
Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin Sr 6-4 314 2
Ryan Miller OG Colorado Sr 6-7 321 5-6

Zebrie Sanders OT Florida State Sr 6-6 320 2
Mitchell Schwartz OT California Sr 6-5 318 2-3
Nate Potter OT Boise State Sr 6-6 303 4

But do you want two rookie's starting in the middle of our OL? Maybe one and Caldwell will look better with more playing time? I just really don't like Caldwell. I was against draft him big time.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #23
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Love all these guys

But do you want two rookie's starting in the middle of our OL? Maybe one and Caldwell will look better with more playing time? I just really don't like Caldwell. I was against draft him big time.
I don't doubt there are some great prospects in this years draft, but, I do doubt the ability of our coaches to wrestle production out of guys in this system early.

Winston came before Alex Gibbs went to town on ZBS, Duane Brown was a slow starter as a rook, Myers, whether its injury or whatever was dog**** for years to begin with, Brisiel was battling with Studdard for a while, Wade Smith came in and performed well but then didn't keep it up this year so much.

I suppose Butler and Caldwell at least give us some protection although I'm not that convinced on either, then you still have the issue of the center.

Its not an issue with either the coaching or the quality of the players imo, I think the system simply takes a long time for some guys to pick up.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #24
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll only panic if we lose both Briesel and Myers.

If we lose Myers, Briesel becomes the Center and Caldwell steps in at RG. Butler at RT.

If we lose Briesel, Caldwell steps in at RG.

If we lost both, Caldwell may play Center, and Studdard will be RG (that's if we don't' pick someone up in the draft or FA).

So yes, panic button if we don't sign at least one.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #25
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I'll only panic if we lose both Briesel and Myers.

If we lose Myers, Briesel becomes the Center and Caldwell steps in at RG. Butler at RT.

If we lose Briesel, Caldwell steps in at RG.

If we lost both, Caldwell may play Center, and Studdard will be RG (that's if we don't' pick someone up in the draft or FA).

So yes, panic button if we don't sign at least one.
At least all these guys have starting experience in our system and have been here a long time. They may not have been great but at least the coaches know what to work on with increased snaps all through the pre-season. Lets just hope they bring in some competition if the worst happens via other FA's and the draft. Its hard to see another team making Briesel unnaffordable to us though.
We will remember them.
Old 03-15-2012   #26
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers and former Packer C Scott Wells visited Tenn over the weekend. I hear they are more interested in Wells, so that may be a good thing for the Texans. John McClain was on the radio today saying he would expect Green Bay to push hard for Myers if Wells were to sign elsewhere. The Texans are in no position for a bidding war though, are they?
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #27
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

When caldwell was drafted, many thought he was for guard, I thought he was for center. I'm not sure now, but I think his best position is center. Butler is the swing tackle they resigned last yr and coming off injury, maybe its his time. They've been stashing guys on the practice squad for awhile nw and now maybe some of those guys are gonna play. Briesel battled studdard for awhile and people laughed when they drafted shelley smith.
Old 03-15-2012   #28
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
When caldwell was drafted, many thought he was for guard, I thought he was for center. I'm not sure now, but I think his best position is center. Butler is the swing tackle they resigned last yr and coming off injury, maybe its his time. They've been stashing guys on the practice squad for awhile nw and now maybe some of those guys are gonna play. Briesel battled studdard for awhile and people laughed when they drafted shelley smith.
Who/why did they laugh when we drafted Shelley Smith? I thought Shelley Smith was drafted to battle Wade Smith for the starting LG spot? Wade Smith won that battle when Shelley was a rookie despite SS flashing some promise during pre-season.

I can believe that Kubiak is confident in these guys to step in to starting roles if need be and perform at an adequate level. Obviously they'd likely look to bring in competition though.
We will remember them.
Old 03-15-2012   #29
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Whos in panic mode im happy right now we cut some of the fat off our oline Winston and im pretty sure since we are not keeping mario all dat money will go to myers and brisles...Plzzzzzz he can keep him 2 besides we have younger depth at guard 2 brisles better hope he can keep his job come Traning camp battles ...if other teams wanna Spend millions on Brisles ... Then IMO they are making a mastake
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #30
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Who/why did they laugh when we drafted Shelley Smith? I thought Shelley Smith was drafted to battle Wade Smith for the starting LG spot? Wade Smith won that battle when Shelley was a rookie despite SS flashing some promise during pre-season.

I can believe that Kubiak is confident in these guys to step in to starting roles if need be and perform at an adequate level. Obviously they'd likely look to bring in competition though.

Colorado State connection. Hilarity ensued.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #31
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
Colorado State connection. Hilarity ensued.
Suppose its better than drafted TE's isn't it.
We will remember them.
Old 03-15-2012   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Love all these guys

You & I are pretty much in agreement, especially on Caldwell. I feel he and Studdard were wasted picks. I'm leaning towards Konz and Blake because can play C&OG. If I knew I could get Zeitler (pure guard) in second and Blake for C in 4th, that would allow us another position in first. I want a WR #26 but my guys are prob gone & it is a long drop from there for me. Unlike most, I am not as adamant about a OLB in first or second as we are not looking starter but more of a Reed type pick only later.
Old 03-15-2012   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

I was going to type this but decided to look one more post & saw yours. Shelley came with good potential althought he did not show much. He could be dark horse for RG.

What we are not focusing on is Wade Smith's weak 2011. He was solid 2010 but unless unkown injury existed, I am very concerned about LG. Hopefully Gary and Smith have the right guys "up next" but I'm hesitant to endorse any other than Butler. We have only minimum plays to judge him on and this is where we depend on coaching.
Old 03-15-2012   #34
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
I was going to type this but decided to look one more post & saw yours. Shelley came with good potential althought he did not show much. He could be dark horse for RG.

What we are not focusing on is Wade Smith's weak 2011. He was solid 2010 but unless unkown injury existed, I am very concerned about LG. Hopefully Gary and Smith have the right guys "up next" but I'm hesitant to endorse any other than Butler. We have only minimum plays to judge him on and this is where we depend on coaching.
I've said it before on the Wade Smith issue, I can't claim to be any great authority on Oline play but through the bad years I've heard it said over and over that you can't look good if the guy next to you sucks on Oline. Wade Smith's next door neighbors both went to the ProBowl so, whilst I can't give you any play-by-play analysis to support it, I can't believe for a second that Wade Smith was that bad last year.
We will remember them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read