Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2012   #41
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Isn't it obvious what's going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This isn't what I would call "obvious" but it appears from the actions that they are taking, is they weren't making moves to free up cap money in order to sign Mario, Myers, and whoever else.

They were making these moves to get underneath the cap PERIOD!! It reflects just how dire their cap situation is. As to why this player instead of that player, I think it was just cap numbers.
That's what it appears to me. La Confora and Jerome Solomon said we have less than a million in space, Lance Zierlien believes 6.5 million. They might not be 100% accurate but I'm sure they've tried to crunch the numbers themselves and that's what they got.

We really can't negotiate with any of these guys because we don't have the money to. If they don't like what they saw on the market potentially they can come back to us and try to work out a lesser deal than what they originally thought they would get, that's seems to be what we're holding out for. I really don't think we would just sit idly by if we had 25 million plus in cap space. There isn't a single word of us having any sort of negotiation with anyone not even interest rumors. The Myers talks were nothing more than just "talk" apparently.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
We really can't negotiate with any of these guys because we don't have the money to.
That still doesn't make any sense, We've got to get our roster back up to 53, we currently have 38 players on our roster & are supposedly right under $120M....

Let's say we were over by $4M (someone said we were, I don't know who), then we cut Winston, Leinart, & Vickers, saving something like $9M, so that puts us $5M under the cap & needing to sign 15 players before the season starts.

Or, we'll say we were right at $120M ($650K below if you want to believe that number), with the same cuts, that would put us at $9M under the cap, needing to sign 15 players before the start of the season.

Either way, it just don't sound right. Sounds like a big boo-boo or poor reporting.
Old 03-14-2012   #43
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget the rookie pool, the additional $1.6mm given to teams not named Redskins or cowboys, and the ability to "borrow" cap from future years.

I think the plan was to re-sign Myers and let Mario walk, and hope to re-sign Brisiel. Seeing Myers get greedy was unexpected and has screwed everything up.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #44
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

arent we at the day of age were a oline is really not that important ..... well i guess it is two us since we seem to be soooo ol school

but some teams are like screw the Oline we are getting a badass QB 3 Badass W'rs bassically a TE/WR hyrbid and a RB who can also catch the ball and then go pass happy

alla successful teams like the GIants QB and 3 good WR's Nick cruz and manninham
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #45
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
arent we at the day of age were a oline is really not that important .....
ask Jay Cutler how that worked out for him the last couple of seasons.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #46
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams joining the Buffalo Bills is looking more and more likely.

His fiancee joined him in Buffalo Wednesday, and he’s not flying her up to show her a place he doesn’t want to play or live.

Paul Peck of WIVB-TV in Buffalo talked to Williams at the airport and initially thought the defensive end was leaving. Peck approached Williams and in a drive-by interview learned that he was merely picking up the future Mrs.

If and when Williams signs with the Bills, the Texans may become more active. They've set aside the money they offered the outside linebacker/defensive end in case he changes course and decides to accept.

If he doesn't, those dollars will come free and we can expect them to try to retain their free-agent center, Chris Myers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth
Old 03-14-2012   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
From that list, how many of those guys restructured their contracts last off season and would that result in their numbers going up this year?
I'm not sure but I think that Demeco , Walter , and Jacoby getting cut to save Myers and Briesel is worth it . I'd throw in Daniels if need be and see what Graham can do .
Old 03-14-2012   #48
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That still doesn't make any sense, We've got to get our roster back up to 53, we currently have 38 players on our roster & are supposedly right under $120M....

Let's say we were over by $4M (someone said we were, I don't know who), then we cut Winston, Leinart, & Vickers, saving something like $9M, so that puts us $5M under the cap & needing to sign 15 players before the season starts.

Or, we'll say we were right at $120M ($650K below if you want to believe that number), with the same cuts, that would put us at $9M under the cap, needing to sign 15 players before the start of the season.

Either way, it just don't sound right. Sounds like a big boo-boo or poor reporting.
It doesn't make any sense because you, nor anyone else, has enough accurate information. If that falls under 'poor reporting', well...

Speculation is one thing, but speculating with wrong numbers leads to wacky conclusions.
Old 03-14-2012   #49
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Or they think next year's draft is the deepest one in 10 years and they are trying to acquire 5 or 6 compensatory picks. Yeah, that's it. Looking forward to late April of 2013 when everything that has happened this week will all make sense.
Compensatory picks are awarded the year after based on a complex, secret formula. From what I have been able to gather these are some of the factors:

1. Players that are cut or not tendered as RFAs and ERFAs are not counted.
2. Players earning minimum salaries do not count.
3. Each player signed cancels out one player lost.
4. The round of the pick awarded is primarily determined by the annual value of the contract signed. Signed players cancel out lost players with equal contracts, then lower contracts, before canceling out higher contracts.

For example. We lost Dunta Robinson in 2010 but signed Wade Smith and Neil Rackers. DR was a true FA lost and Smith/Rackers were true FAs signed. Smith cancelled out DR and Rackers was a +1 for Htown.

Htown did not get a compensatory pick for DR becuase their value was +1. In order to get any pick of any kind, they would have needed to lose 2 additional FAs. Since that did not happen, Htown received zilch.

But, you may be asking: Doppelganger, the Texans did get the final pick in 2011(a year later) wasn't that a compensatory pick?

In this case no. Another NFL rule is that there are only a handful of compensatory picks per year. In this case there were no other compensatory picks awarded in the 7th round for 2011. Thus since picks were available, they were handed out to teams based on draft order until they ran out. Texans happened to get the last pick due to record.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read