Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-13-2012   #661
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
NFL teams undervalue OGs and overvalue other positions. DTs and Especially NTs are getting bigger and bigger every year. We see a guy like Poe fly up the board and that makes sense. But people forget about the guy who is placed to block him is equally as important.
There is a good reason the gaurds are undervalued.

Most of the guards in the league blocking those big, strong, fast guys are not going to be taken in the first round...

Hell, most probably aren't even taken in the second or third round.

Look at what we gave up to get our Meyers and Brisel...

You can find serviceable guards. Dominant guards are great to have, but they don't make or break your offense like dominant QB's, RB's WR's ect...

I think if you have the chance to take a game breaking WR or a game breaking corner or other defensive player I'd take them. A guard would have to really be THAT much better than everyone else on the board or I'd have to have a big need for one.

I'm not saying I think it's a horrible pick at all. In fact I think it's a good one.

I'm just saying I'd have probably gone in a different direction with regards to what the Colts situation looks like.

But again, I'm not saying you did a bad job there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #662
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
My guard can beat up your guard! haha

I like Cordy Glenn. If he is available at 26, Texans should really think about grabbing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The only criticism I have of Blake is that his frame is reported and looks maxed out. Dude could double as a roly poly.
I get that. He is not exactly shredded. But, I actually think his gut helps him out because people don't expect him to be able to move as well as he does.

Here are couple of guys who don't look athletic but really are.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #663
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: 2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
There is a good reason the gaurds are undervalued.

Most of the guards in the league blocking those big, strong, fast guys are not going to be taken in the first round...

Hell, most probably aren't even taken in the second or third round.

Look at what we gave up to get our Meyers and Brisel...

You can find serviceable guards. Dominant guards are great to have, but they don't make or break your offense like dominant QB's, RB's WR's ect...

I think if you have the chance to take a game breaking WR or a game breaking corner or other defensive player I'd take them. A guard would have to really be THAT much better than everyone else on the board or I'd have to have a big need for one.

I'm not saying I think it's a horrible pick at all. In fact I think it's a good one.

I'm just saying I'd have probably gone in a different direction with regards to what the Colts situation looks like.

But again, I'm not saying you did a bad job there.
I hear you. You are right, most guards are not taken high. You can certainly get by with 4th/5th round OGS. But if you want a guy who can dominate, who can shut down the opposing DT, and be a force on the OL, typically you need to grab him early. Sure, some good ones slip, but the game changers tend not to.

Steve Hutchinson: #17, first round.
Logan Mankins: #32, first round.
Alan Faneca: #26, first round,
Ben Grubbs: #29, first round
Mike Iupati: #17, first round
Andy Levitre, #51, second round
Davin Joseph, #29, first round
Larry Allen, # 46, second round
Randall McDaniel, #19, first round

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #664
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

with the 2nd pick of the 3rd round of the 2012 texans talk mock draft, the st. louis rams select..

mike martin, dt, michigan

opting to solidify the defensive line instead of reaching for a WR that they feels would fit their gameplan, the rams select one of their favorite players in the entire draft in martin from michigan. able to play in multiple looks from the 0 to 3, martin provides an upgrade over fred robbins and justin bannan. with a strong presence in the middle, this allows the underrated chris long and last years #1 robert quinn to do what they do best; get to the passer.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #665
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok.

I searched my draft board.
I searched google to see if the prospective player was caught blowing coke with Irvin or hanging in bathroom stalls with Big Ben.

I don't know why he is still available.
I am confused as to why the battling for the #1 ranked TE Dwayne Allen is still on the board..

BPA screams at me. Its in my nature. Don't reach. I need LB help. I need CB help. I need OL help.

But, looking at the NE way of offense, with RG3 coming in (in this mock)

I pick..

Dwayne Allen, Clemson, TE, Meet Kyle Rudolph. Watch gametape of Hernandez and Gronk.
Old 03-13-2012   #666
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
Ok.

I searched my draft board.
I searched google to see if the prospective player was caught blowing coke with Irvin or hanging in bathroom stalls with Big Ben.

I don't know why he is still available.
I am confused as to why the battling for the #1 ranked TE Dwayne Allen is still on the board..

BPA screams at me. Its in my nature. Don't reach. I need LB help. I need CB help. I need OL help.

But, looking at the NE way of offense, with RG3 coming in (in this mock)

I pick..

Dwayne Allen, Clemson, TE, Meet Kyle Rudolph. Watch gametape of Hernandez and Gronk.
I see nothing wrong with grabbing talent regardless of need in the 3rd. Dwayne Allen is a good player and can make some pretty spectacular catches at times.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #667
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

^ Good pick, he was BPA on my board as well, there have been a few guys picked that weren't even on my radar so I see some good values. These last 10 picks or so have taken nearly every guy I had my eye on in hopes of them dropping to here. Now I'm just going with BPA at a need. It was a tough pick, because several positions of need have great players available, but I gotta address the captain of this ship that is the Browns. With the 68th pick in the 2012 TTalk Mock Draft, the Browns select:

Brandon Weeden QB out of Oklahoma State

Taking a page out of the Bengals playbook, the Browns go with the soulless ginger from the south. Hey, it worked out pretty well for them last year, right? Weeden lead the Cowboys to their best season in school history this past year and upset the highly touted Andrew Luck's team in the Fiesta Bowl this year. Weeden will need to adjust to taking snaps under center this year, but I'm confident he can make the switch. He will bring much needed competition and maturity to the Browns QB position.

Browns Draft so far:
1.4 Justin Blackmon WR
1.22 Mike Adams OT
2.37 Whitney Mercilus DE
3.68 Brandon Weeden QB

3.69) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TexansSeminole -

3.70) Washington Redskins - Aussie Texan -

3.71) Jacksonville Jaguars - Hou-Tex -

3.72) Buffalo Bills - Texan4Ever -

3.73) Miami Dolphins - RMartin65 -

3.74) Chicago Bears - MistaRed -

3.75) Kansas City Chiefs - Honoring Earl 34 -
Old 03-13-2012   #668
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Dutchrudder;1915697]^ Good pick, he was BPA on my board as well, there have been a few guys picked that weren't even on my radar so I see some good values. These last 10 picks or so have taken nearly every guy I had my eye on in hopes of them dropping to here. Now I'm just going with BPA at a need. It was a tough pick, because several positions of need have great players available, but I gotta address the captain of this ship that is the Browns. With the 68th pick in the 2012 TTalk Mock Draft, the Browns select:

Brandon Weeden QB out of Oklahoma State

Taking a page out of the Bengals playbook, the Browns go with the soulless ginger from the south. Hey, it worked out pretty well for them last year, right? Weeden lead the Cowboys to their best season in school history this past year and upset the highly touted Andrew Luck's team in the Fiesta Bowl this year. Weeden will need to adjust to taking snaps under center this year, but I'm confident he can make the switch. He will bring much needed competition and maturity to the Browns QB position.

Browns Draft so far:
1.4 Justin Blackmon WR
1.22 Mike Adams OT
2.37 Whitney Mercilus DE
3.68 Brandon Weeden QB

The Weeden to Blackmon combo is back together again, putting up huge numbers. I love Weeden, has the arm/sees field well and although he's not a runner he moves around well in the pocket. If Weeden was 23 instead of 28 he would be a top 10 pick.

Weeden needs to be able to start quickly and reuniting him with Blackmon should help make this happen. I could actually see the real draft falling this way.

Best drafts so far 1. Dutch 2. BL and for their teams needs I would call them about even.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #669
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

RT Bobby Massie, Ole Miss.

At 6"6' 316, Bobby Massie is a big, strong right tackle prospect from the SEC. He has been the starting right tackle at Ole Miss since he took over in the final 5 games of the 2009 season. He is more athletic than his size would indicate and can dominate opponents at times. The Bucs need a RT to replace or at least challenge Jeremy Youngblood. I would think that Massie could at least challenge him in his first year, but I don't expect Massie's pass blocking to be at a starter's level until 2013.

On the clock:

3.70) Washington Redskins - Aussie Texan -

TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #670
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=TexansSeminole;1915733]Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

RT Bobby Massie, Ole Miss.

At 6"6' 316, Bobby Massie is a big, strong right tackle prospect from the SEC. He has been the starting right tackle at Ole Miss since he took over in the final 5 games of the 2009 season. He is more athletic than his size would indicate and can dominate opponents at times. The Bucs need a RT to replace or at least challenge Jeremy Youngblood. I would think that Massie could at least challenge him in his first year, but I don't expect Massie's pass blocking to be at a starter's level until 2013.

Who i was going to pick, before i noticed Allen.
Old 03-13-2012   #671
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Massie was top of my board..... still have a couple of players up my sleeve I would be happy with.

Not sure this draft's strengths gel with my Jets needs.
Old 03-13-2012   #672
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 70th pick in the 2012 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select...

Tommy Streeter WR Miami

Redskins have a lot of underneath WR but no number 1 receiver.
With streeters measurable and athletic ability he has the potential to develop into that number 1 receiver. will be used to stretch the field to open up the running game.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #673
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

:cry:

I got dem no 3rd round pick bluuuuuueeeesss....

Also, it's Trumaine Johnson not Trumaine Jones. Why you gotta misspell my guy's name huh?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #674
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post

Tommy Streeter WR Miami

With streeters measurable and athletic ability he has the potential to develop into that number 1 receiver. will be used to stretch the field to open up the running game.
Damn...

I was hoping he'd fall to me and I'd have a couple of young athletic studs in Streeter and Hill....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #675
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post

Tommy Streeter WR Miami

Excellent pick. He might take a year or 2 to mature and learn but he's got star potential. I was hoping the Texans might take him in the 3rd.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #676
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we should do a 3 round re-mock post free agent frenzy. A lot of team needs are being shuffled around right now.

For example, I'm thinking now that the pick at 26 for us should be Perry, instead of Hill or Randle. Don't think there will be any 1st round RT's. But hell, also if we don't get Myers or fill that vacancy, the pick could be Konz.

Everything is still up in the air...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #677
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I think we should do a 3 round re-mock post free agent frenzy. A lot of team needs are being shuffled around right now.

For example, I'm thinking now that the pick at 26 for us should be Perry, instead of Hill or Randle. Don't think there will be any 1st round RT's. But hell, also if we don't get Myers or fill that vacancy, the pick could be Konz.

Everything is still up in the air...
Everyone knew needs would be filled when FA started. Thats just how things go this time of year. Carry on.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #678
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dutch suggested a 4 rd mock after this one.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #679
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #680
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be back shortly with a selection

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read