Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2012   #141
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
How would you like to be Kubiak 2 years from now and realize that Manning has taken his team to the SB twice and you missed the playoffs with no QB after Schaub couldn't go on his foot more than a couple of games into this coming season. And, you had the chance to bring Manning here and didn't take it. I realize this is highly theoretical, but could happen. It is evident from the news coming out of NFL.com (no particular link) that a lot of people think Manning will be healthy and ready to go next season from the number of teams pursuing him. A lot of football people on there think Houston is an SB "waiting to happen" with Manning at the helm.

Kubiak and the FO would have a lot of egg on their faces at this point.
I don't think Kubiak would notice considering the amount of egg he still has on his face from picking Mario over Reggie Bush.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #142
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I don't think Kubiak would notice considering the amount of egg he still has on his face from picking Mario over Reggie Bush.

well at least you didn't say VY
Old 03-12-2012   #143
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5078 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Matt Schaub will make 7.15 million this year and become a free agent in 2013 unless the Texans sign him to an extension.

My question is this, should/will the Texans extend Matt Schaub? Should/will the Texans start TJ Yates ahead of Schaub for the 2012 season?

I pose this question because IMO I think Matt may have found himself in no man's land unless he stays healthy all year and guides the Texans to an AFC South title. I say this because in 2013 he turns 32 and what kind of deal would you give a 32 year old NFL player? The current average age for a starting NFL QB is 27.65 and this number may drop further after this years draft.

Out of the 32 teams there are 12 QB's currently in there 30's. Matt Schaub turns 31 before the start of this season, Brees 33, Manning 35, Romo 31, Cassel 30, Brady 34, the other Manning 31, Big Ben 30, Rivers 30, Grossman 31, Vick 31, Palmer 32.

Out of this group of 30yo there are only a few I can say will continue to perform at a high level getting you to a Superbowl. Brady, Eli, and Big Ben. The other aforementioned QB's, IMO, are seeing the twilight of their careers. Brees just got the franchise tag and compiled with all the offseason distractions I expect them to have a bad year and he will be 34 next year. I think last year was Brees' window and he missed it, P. Manning may never play again, Romo is over-rated, Vick can't stay healthy (Schaub), Palmer is over-rated, Rivers is over-rated, Grossman sux, Cassel is a back up.

So what do you do with a 32yo Schaub? Up to this year he had played 5 season from 2007-2011. In 2007, 2008, and 2011 he has finished the season on IR. Only 2009 and 2010 has he completed a full season. He has won 31 games and lost 32, he is also 8-14 in the division. The only good thing I can say about Schaub is his home record is 20-11. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...aMa00/gamelog/

I think Kubiak and Smith need to sit down with one another and make a decision on Schaub before the season gets under way. Is Schaub the future? Are you going to extend his contract? What does Schaub offer the Texans that TJ Yates does not? I also think you have to take into account that the Texans are about to play a brutal schedule.

I personally would take Yates and start him over Schaub this year. This is why. He is younger, more athletic and mobile, has a stronger arm, and shows up in big games. Schaub was never mobile to begin with and now will play with a screw in his foot. What Schaub brings to the table over TJ is his years of experience, and accuracy.

IMO in big time games Schaub has reverted back to being a back up QB. I don't think Schaub would have won that game against the Bengals last year to win the division. And I say this based on his prime time record (it's an O'fer) and his division record (every division game is huge. The amendment to that being you have already won the division and you are not playing for anything).

This is a perfect time to find out what we have in TJ. A tough schedule is perfect to evaluate him. Does he have the stones to hang? You know we are going to get some prime time games, how does he react to the pressure of the nation watching? At worse we still win the division but see enough of TJ and his abilities to know he is not the future so we are drafting a QB in 2013.

So what would you do with an aging QB that has started 64 out of 80 games missing 20% of his starts? He couldn't stay healthy in his 20's I don't see him suddenly getting better with age and a screw in his foot.
did u forget about the three interceptions? The other three that shoulda happened but he got lucky and they didn'? Don't get me wrong I think he could get what it takes but we have a small window here to get to the big show, In my opinion starting schaub is the way to go. Starting Yates... a guy who had 3 decent games out of six and who routinely makes poor decisions would be a mistake. After a yr of reading NFL defenses and getting coached up by schaub and Kubes and others I would say do not resign schaub and let him take the reigns provided he progressed in his ability to read a D.
Old 03-12-2012   #144
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

well at least you didn't say VY
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read