Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2012   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:Flat salary cap challenges teams like Texans

Quote:
The NFL released its 2012 team salary cap number Sunday and as expected it's not much different than 2011.

Andrew Brandt, among many others, reported the 2012 cap has been set at $120.6 million.

The league mandated cap in 2011 was $120.375 million.

Brandt pointed out a couple of other factoids about this year's cap:

The $120.6 million figure represents the salary portion of the cap. The overall cap, which includes player benefits, is $142 million which is also the same as last season. Team cap values are typically reported against the salary portion of the cap and not the overall number.
Last year, teams could 'borrow' an additional $3 million from future caps. This year, teams can only borrow $1.5 million. The option to 'borrow' $3 million last season was often referred to as a 'soft cap' where teams could be granted a $3 million dollar exemption from the 2011 cap ($1 million per player for up to three players with five or more accrued seasons). This was put in place, presumably, to soften the blow of coming off a year with no cap in 2012.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Flat salary cap challenges teams like Texans - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...#ixzz1oqG6OiyL
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Flat salary cap challenges teams like Texans

Tick...tick...tick...tick...

Quote:
Texans players who are not under contract and will become unrestricted free agents unless re-signed by tomorrow are [Mario] Williams, Chris Myers, Mike Brisiel, Joel Dreessen, Derrick Ward, Tim Bulman, Tim Dobbins, Jason Allen, Dominique Barber, Bryant Johnson, Kasey Studdard, Matt Turk, Neil Rackers, Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Everyone after Brisiel on that list won't be a major loss
Old 03-11-2012   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why didn't it go up?
Old 03-11-2012   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why didn't it go up?
It's based on an agreed percentage of specifically defined revenues, so it's a pretty good assumption that those revenues didn't go up.

Don't look for much next year either.
Old 03-11-2012   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

It didn't go up because they withheld certain programs last season to keep the cap at 120 million, those programs have been re-instated this season and the costs factored into the equation this time
Old 03-11-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers, Dreessen, Rackers, and Briesel (If Briesel is willing). Everyone else is pretty JAG (except Mario) and could walk if need be. Will still be able to sign a lot of those, IMO.

Turk might need to be back due to Hartmanm being suspended early 2012 reg season.
Old 03-11-2012   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why didn't it go up?
Because of an increase in player benefits and the return of the performance based pay system in 2011 which starts hitting the cap again this year.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think retaining Dreesen will be an underrated thing.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

A question I've not seem addressed anywhere. What happens if an NFL team goes over the cap? NBA has a much known luxury tax but I cannot recall NFL consequences being mentioned.
Old 03-11-2012   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I think retaining Dreessen will be an underrated thing.
Will Dreessen really attract teams to offer a contract much bigger than his last one (3 years, $3.6 million)? He's a backup TE. A good backup TE. But, still a backup TE. He should do a backflip if he gets a 3 year, $5 million offer. I'd worry about the Skins, but they are already paying a couple of TEs big bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
A question I've not seem addressed anywhere. What happens if an NFL team goes over the cap?
They can't go over the cap. They couldn't get a contract approved if it put the team over the cap. They also won't be able to participate in the draft unless they have the cap room allotted for their draft picks. A hard cap is just that...hard.
Old 03-11-2012   #12
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A question I've not seem addressed anywhere. What happens if an NFL team goes over the cap? NBA has a much known luxury tax but I cannot recall NFL consequences being mentioned.
Forfeiture of draft picks, I think.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Will Dreessen really attract teams to offer a contract much bigger than his last one (3 years, $3.6 million)? He's a backup TE. A good backup TE. But, still a backup TE. He should do a backflip if he gets a 3 year, $5 million offer. I'd worry about the Skins, but they are already paying a couple of TEs big bucks.

They can't go over the cap. They couldn't get a contract approved if it put the team over the cap. They also won't be able to participate in the draft unless they have the cap room allotted for their draft picks. A hard cap is just that...hard.
Thanks, NFL has to agree on each deal; but what if Texans had resigned Foster and Mario 2 weeks ago but were unable to be below at deadline? Are those contracts nullified? I do realize that teams can cut players at last moment to get there.
Old 03-11-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
Forfeiture of draft picks, I think.
I guess the commissioner could do that but never have I seen any rules or disciplinary measures. I think Lucky is right.
Old 03-11-2012   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks, NFL has to agree on each deal; but what if Texans had resigned Foster and Mario 2 weeks ago but were unable to be below at deadline? Are those contracts nullified? I do realize that teams can cut players at last moment to get there.
I think in that case contracts would be voided. Probably the most recent ones that took the team over the cap. It's never happened, to my knowledge.
Old 03-11-2012   #16
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Article 14 Section 6
http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaRe..._Final_CBA.pdf

Forfeit new contracts, forfeit draft pick, or fine.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Article 14 Section 6
http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaRe..._Final_CBA.pdf

Forfeit new contracts, forfeit draft pick, or fine.
Very significant penalties for violations but does not mention cap specifically. Thanks CBS!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read