Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-07-2012   #161
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

4th qtr

(1st and 10) GEORGIA TECH drive start at 10:51.

(1st and 10) Washington, T. pass intercepted by HALL at the GT35, HALL return 26 yards to the GT9 (Washington, T.).

Hill was all alone down the side line as both the CB and the safety somehow came down to play the run.

The QB picked the wrong receiver to throw to; his pass to the slot receiver was intercepted by the off-side safety.

The on-side safety tried to recover, but as we all know, speed kills.
You can't hardly afford a mistake against speed.

Side note:

Clemson's true freshman WR Watkins made a big mistake cutting off his route causing his QB to throw an INT; other than that, this guy looks like a highly possible 1st rounder in the future. I'm thinking he'll come out early.

Aside from that route, Watkins ran several great routes, with good stems, good planting and good sharp break out of the cut. And he attacks the ball, snatching it out of the air. Looks like a young Fitzgerald to me.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #162
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I just watched a some clips of Stephen Hill and I am impressed. The does like to catch with his body, but he has shown excellent ability to catch with his hands too. He is a physical specimen (which is something I love).
This is what I saw. He looks to have good hands to me. But, has a tendency to try to catch with his body.

At the combine, they had a couple of WRs & scouts talking about all the players & pointing out some technique things. Keeping your elbows in, locating the ball early... several things that could help receivers improve their catching skills.

When I look at Hill, I see things that proper coaching can fix. I don't know if we have proper coaching at the WR position.

But like you said, he is an elite athlete, there is no question about that. Can he become an elite WR? that is the chance that someone will take if they draft him in the first or second rounds.

I'm not saying the Texans should take him, like you though, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if they did.
Old 03-07-2012   #163
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason I like Randle more than Hill has to do with the last time the Texans drafted an unpolished WR (JJ) = Fail. I know it's it's not fair.

Hill has unreal talent and D.Thomas is now vouching for Hill saying Hill is going to be the next great WR. This is making me reconsider my position on Hill.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #164
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The reason I like Randle more than Hill has to do with the last time the Texans drafted an unpolished WR (JJ) = Fail. I know it's it's not fair.

Hill has unreal talent and D.Thomas is now vouching for Hill saying Hill is going to be the next great WR. This is making me reconsider my position on Hill.
I like fact your displaying flexibility to change your stance. The aspect of Hill skill set is a rare combination of size & speed. His route tree will expand here, you know the Texans coaching staff will be excited to work with him & his humble demeanor will endear him to his teammates. Specifically, is the type of WR who Andre could groom & help him adjust to NFL.

Hill is the vertical threat Texans need, will keep defenses from compressing the box, most likely pulling both a corner & safety deep.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #165
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is what I saw. He looks to have good hands to me. But, has a tendency to try to catch with his body.

At the combine, they had a couple of WRs & scouts talking about all the players & pointing out some technique things. Keeping your elbows in, locating the ball early... several things that could help receivers improve their catching skills.

When I look at Hill, I see things that proper coaching can fix. I don't know if we have proper coaching at the WR position.

But like you said, he is an elite athlete, there is no question about that. Can he become an elite WR? that is the chance that someone will take if they draft him in the first or second rounds.

I'm not saying the Texans should take him, like you though, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if they did.
This! Add to that that he is a good blocker so I can see the texans taking a chance on him. Don't know if that is the route I would go but he brings alot to the table from the Texans POV.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #166
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I like fact your displaying flexibility to change your stance. The aspect of Hill skill set is a rare combination of size & speed. His route tree will expand here, you know the Texans coaching staff will be excited to work with him & his humble demeanor will endear him to his teammates. Specifically, is the type of WR who Andre could groom & help him adjust to NFL.

Hill is the vertical threat Texans need, will keep defenses from compressing the box, most likely pulling both a corner & safety deep.
What is the difference between Hill and Streeter as far as physical attributes?

I don't understand why Streeter isn't getting more attention. '

Texans seem to dip into the canes well almost every draft. I'm sure AJ would love to help Streeter become a solid pro. He's 6'5", runs extremely well, comes in as a really good redzone target already...He's good in the slot..

He's just raw...hasn't had a lot of playing time prior to this past season, but he did really well in his first extensive action. He is a field stretcher and has strong hands to bring the ball down in traffic.

Lets play a game....It's called Hill or Streeter...

Quote:
Has a very impressive frame and the speed to match, an will be capable of making splash plays for his team as a rookie in the NFL. Late third-round value with the opportunity to ascend.

AnalysisStrengths: has premier tools to immediately stretch the field for an NFL offense. Has an elongated gate and is very comfortable sticking his foot in the ground to go up and get the football. Has really come on strong of late in his ability to separate from defenders in short/intermediate routes.

Weaknesses: needs to develop the technical parts of his game to be able to demand consistent playing time on the outside. He false steps often at the snap and has a below-average burst off the line, and although he uses his length well to avoid press, could have issues once teams start to get in his face at the line of scrimmage. Runs sloppy routes and isn't definitive in his movements.
Hill...Or Streeter....????

Quote:

has great length and an outstanding catch radius, which along with his speed makes him a serious deep-threat option in the NFL. He has a thin frame and will be hurt by the fact that he ran a very basic route tree.

will be a legitimate deep threat at the next level -- by recording nearly 30 yards per catch, he showed he was capable of going deep and scoring on every play. He consistently runs past corners on deep routes and is impressive at the point of the catch, as he is able to lay out for the ball or rise above his defender.

value is based purely off his ability as a deep threat. Has average quickness and moves off the line of scrimmage to avoid a jam. He ran a very basic route tree in college that didn't allow him to showcase many skills. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. He looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player
Hill....or Streeter......

Most of you probably know who is who, but my point is that Streeter is almost the same guy, but with more of an ability to help right away because of his ability to run and get separation on short and intermediate routes as well as his ability to take the top off the defense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #167
Lucky

Rep Power: 191859 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From watching the two, Hill just seems like the stronger athlete. He seems to break more tackles and keep his feet under him.
Old 03-07-2012   #168
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

NFLDraftScout.com
Stephen Hill caught 12 of 12 passes, running routes crisply and apparently answering questions about his route running. This from NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock, who was on hand: "I think he's just kind of overwhelming from a height-weight-speed-upside perspective. I think he runs too well and catches too well to get out of the first round, in my opinion."

NFLDraftScout.com

Wide receiver Stephen Hill wanted to leave a specific impression with the NFL coaches who flocked to Georgia Tech's pro day. "I just want to show them, because those are the guys who will be drafting me, that I can do great things other than just running deep routes," said the 6-4, 215-pounder, one of the stars of the NFL Combine, where he posted an unofficial 4.36 time in the 40-yard dash. Mission accomplished. With two head coaches -- Atlanta's Mike Smith and Lovie Smith of the Bears -- and most NFL teams in attendance, Hill did his part to continue nudging his draft stock upward. Running a variety of short and intermediate routes, Hill got in and out of his breaks fast and caught all 12 passes, including a fingertip-grab off the turf, form quarterback Eric Ward in Tuesday's workout. Vikings wide receiver coach George Stewart ran the receiver drills and ordered Hill through the route tree.

Matt Barrows, The Sacramento Bee

There were 31 teams on hand to watch ascending wide receiver Stephen Hill run routes and catch passes today at Georgia Tech's pro day. The one absence, according to two people who attended? The San Francisco 49ers. Hill is the receiver who turned heads a couple of weeks ago at the scouting combine where, at 6-4, 215 pounds, he ran his 40-yard dash in less than 4.4 seconds and then looked fluid in his pass-catching drills. He understandingly opted to rest on his combine numbers today - which is perhaps why the 49ers didn't attend - and instead ran routes and caught passes. NFL Network's Mike Mayock reported that Hill caught 28 of the 33 balls that went his way. Don't be fooled by the 49ers' absence. He was one of the players they interviewed at the scouting combine, and they appear to be in a good position to take him in the draft.
Old 03-07-2012   #169
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't understand why Streeter isn't getting more attention. '

Texans seem to dip into the canes well almost every draft. I'm sure AJ would love to help Streeter become a solid pro. He's 6'5", runs extremely well, comes in as a really good redzone target already...He's good in the slot..

He's just raw...hasn't had a lot of playing time prior to this past season, but he did really well in his first extensive action. He is a field stretcher and has strong hands to bring the ball down.
Not sure Streeter is coachable that is difference #1. #2 Streeter has not been coached up or had similar role model?#3 he quits early on plays, doesn't play through the whistle. #4 doesn't have good hands or technique is poor? I could go on but Hill has a good shot making instant impact, rather than Jacoby time line as a developmental prospect. That is the difference between a late first & third round WR.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #170
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I've yet to study Streeter much.
Just three games: Ohio St (wk 3), Ks St (wk 4), and Ga Tech.

He didn't get his first start until week 4

Supposedly the Canes had a guy who's faster and a guy who's more explosive (Benjamin and Hurns).
Benjamin is a Sr; I think he also ran 4.36 at the combine, same as Hill; is that right?
Any thought on him?

Hurns is a true Soph; Streeter is a Rs Jr (so basically, Streeter had 2 years on Hurns.
Both Hurns and Streeter ended up with 7 starts. Benjamin had 9.

Should there be a concern with Streeter not being to start over Hurns early in the year?

In the 2 games that I watched so far, Streeter looked to be a possession receiver, running short route most of the time.
There were things to like and there were things not to like.

His routes didn't look as sharp as in the Ga Tech game.
He didn't attack the ball as much either.
Other than that, I like his hands and he can find the open space often, except when his routes weren't sharp.

I have yet to come to a conclusion on him yet; too early for me.
Old 03-08-2012   #171
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Not sure Streeter is coachable that is difference #1. #2 Streeter has not been coached up or had similar role model?#3 he quits early on plays, doesn't play through the whistle. #4 doesn't have good hands or technique is poor? I could go on but Hill has a good shot making instant impact, rather than Jacoby time line as a developmental prospect. That is the difference between a late first & third round WR.
#1 what makes you say this?
#2 Hill has been coached up?
#3 surely you have some examples of this!
#4 hasn't the same thing been said about Hill?
What makes you think Hill will make an immediate impact? What in his college career did he acomplish that makes you think he is further along than JJ was at the same point?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #172
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Streeter got a big red flag from me at the combine. Drops everywhere, but worse was a bad attitude & body language. I wouldn't touch him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #173
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Streeter got a big red flag from me at the combine. Drops everywhere, but worse was a bad attitude & body language. I wouldn't touch him.
I didn't watch him at the combine.
What kind of bad attitude & body language that he gave off?

I have yet to see him dropping any ball in those 3 games (he might in other games though). He just didn't help out the QB enough (sometimes he waits for the ball to arrive instead of attacking it - allowing the DB to close the gap.)

I just wonder why the QB Harris hadn't been connected with him much until this year. They played together in highschool, so what happened to the rapport?
Streeter caught 5 passes in his Rs Fr season, but only 1 in his Rs Soph season - he didn't play in the first four games of that season. Was he injured or was there another reason?
Old 03-08-2012   #174
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think if you work him in as a 1 trick pony at first, he will be ok. The problem is with college wrs are the conversions routes. People think most of the drops are bad hands and they're not. Say the play calls for the wr to run a 12 yard incut, but as you're running, you notice the cb bails out to give the look of cover 3.The wr accelerate, but he notices the lb like urlacher reading running in the middle. Covenrtional wisdom says break that to an out route or a hook. All of this is done withing 5 steps. Suddenly the qb throws the ball while you're converting and you drop it because it got on you too fast. Thats why guys drop passes. They're trying to read coverage and get where theyre trying to get to. Now the steelers only run wallace on a couple of routes and none of which he is converting routes. Thats why he has the production he has.
Old 03-08-2012   #175
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2725 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

Uh oh Bears could become players at #19 for Stephen Hill

https://twitter.com/#!/walterfootbal...95028256014336

"Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune says that Lovie Smith had lunch with #GT WR Stephen Hill after his Pro Day."
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #176
Lucky

Rep Power: 191859 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiirb View Post

https://twitter.com/#!/walterfootball/status/177895028256014336

"Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune says that Lovie Smith had lunch with #GT WR Stephen Hill after his Pro Day."
Could be they think Floyd will be off the board @ #19. Or they took Floyd off their board due to character concerns.
Old 03-08-2012   #177
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if they took Hill 1 and Streeter 2? Just saying.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #178
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Could be they think Floyd will be off the board @ #19. Or they took Floyd off their board due to character concerns.
I think Floyd is pretty much a top 15 lock. I doubt he gets past #13.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #179
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiirb View Post

https://twitter.com/#!/walterfootbal...95028256014336

Yep,

I thought there was a good chance of Hill going to the Bears at 19 if Floyd is off the board. Cutler asked for a bigger WR. I could see the Bears drafting Hill at 19 and Streeter in the 3rd.

Give me Marvin Jones in the 2nd and Streeter in the 3rd. Unless Randle is there in the 2nd. I know Gary talked to Jones at the Sr Bowl.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #180
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Wouldn't it be ridiculous if they took Hill 1 and Streeter 2? Just saying.
I've thought about that as well. It sure would solidify us at WR for years to come.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read