Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-06-2012   #361
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: 2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft

I'd rather a point system, top pick on 3 and they get 3 points, 2nd on 2 etc. Add up the points after 30 posts and the winner is the pick

For example my vote would be
3. Konz
2. Randle
1. Mercilus

Would need a new thread
Old 03-06-2012   #362
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
I'd rather a point system, top pick on 3 and they get 3 points, 2nd on 2 etc. Add up the points after 30 posts and the winner is the pick

For example my vote would be
3. Konz
2. Randle
1. Mercilus

Would need a new thread

Why is that better than a poll?

A poll is less work on the people doing it...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #363
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Poll incoming in 10, 9, 8, 7.................
Old 03-06-2012   #364
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected

because I love votes like that, and it really shows popular opinion better. Most people have 2 people that they wishy-wash back and forth between anyway. Could go 1 and 2
Old 03-06-2012   #365
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
because I love votes like that, and it really shows popular opinion better. Most people have 2 people that they wishy-wash back and forth between anyway. Could go 1 and 2
That is why in the poll you can pick more than one.
Old 03-06-2012   #366
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
That is why in the poll you can pick more than one.
Already did, I still like the point system, but whatev, it'll still work out like this, especially if we can limit it to 3 picks a person
Old 03-06-2012   #367
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote for Konz!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #368
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
So how did we come to the conclusion of drafting Konz? Is there a head count or what?

I thought everyone was pretty mixed on this. Shouldn't every owner get a chance to bring their input before we make it official?
I don't recall ever using a poll before, and I saw his name listed about ten times. I figured it was enough to make a consensus for the pick. It's how we've done it in the past with a group selection.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #369
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Mark Barron would be a horrible pick.

Manning and Quin are good enough to get it done.

I am ok with Konz.

I would be looking at Perry just because pass rushers are king in the 3-4.

I think that we assume that Briesel or Myers is leaving, that we can't trust Caldwell and make Konz official.

We can get a decent WR later.
For how long will Manning be good enough? He will be 30 years old this season.

Barron would be a fantastic pick as he could be a quality, quality backup SS and special teamer for now. We also have a formation in which we bring in another safety. We used Demps on alot of those packages during the year. Put Barron deep and have Quin play that inside cover position or vise versa. It gives us ALOT of versatility, especially with Quin being such a good nickel back. He could take over at SS when we get rid of Manning and Quin could play FS. Not that big of a transition for a guy like Quin to move from SS to FS.

Barron would be a fantastic pick IMO.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #370
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm against the Konz pick...I just watched some more clips of him and I'm not impressed...I'd much rather have Randle who looks like he will be a solid pro for years.
I really like Randle, he's my #1 WR.

But with Briesel probably leaving. Picking up the best C prospect that can also play OG would seem to be the way to go. Is there really that much difference between Randle and Marvin Jones or Jeffery in the 2/3rd rd?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #371
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I don't recall ever using a poll before, and I saw his name listed about ten times. I figured it was enough to make a consensus for the pick. It's how we've done it in the past with a group selection.
This is different than the previous group picks. We're not picking in the 5th round for a vacated team. Since everyone picks for the Texans, we need to get everyone's input. A poll works best for that.

I like it this way. We all have a say and it's a consensus of all the fans participating.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #372
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 26th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select:

Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

I was greatly tempted to take Nick Perry, the top talent left on the board here. But with the overwhelming need for an impact WR I was forced to take one here.

The choice came down to Randle or Stephen Hill. Despite Hill's higher potential ceiling I decided to go with Randle. I think he has a higher floor and the ability to be a bigger contributor at the beginning of his career.

Randle has good size and speed. He catches the ball with great hands instead of letting it come into his body. He runs great routes down the field. He may need some work on his underneath routes but I am confident that he has the skills and potential of a first round prospect.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #373
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hill has greater potential and better measurables than Randle. Big mistake by the Texans to pass him up for a player that is more "ready" for the job. Similar to taking KJ because he was also "ready" for the job.
Old 03-07-2012   #374
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hill has greater potential and better measurables than Randle. Big mistake by the Texans to pass him up for a player that is more "ready" for the job. Similar to taking KJ because he was also "ready" for the job.
Potential and measureables mean nothing when it comes to production. I've been on board saying for weeks that Hill is a "project" pick and if we want to upgrade the WR position immediately then Randle would be the better choice.

Hill would be fighting Lestar Jean and Jacoby Jones for scraps of playing time while Randle would be splitting starting reps with Kevin Walter. Randle helps us win in 2012, Hill helps us win in 2014 (if he even pans out).

KJ may have been classified as the "more ready" player in 2010 but tell me, what CB taken after him has been better?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #375
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I agree with you in theory and Hill may turn out to be the better pro. Randle isn't chopped liver. He will probably run in the 4.4's at his pro day. He will be a 10 yr starter barring injury. Randle compares to Reggie Wayne when he was coming out of college. IMHO

The only thing that held Randle back last yr was terrible QB play.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #376
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not ready to call KJ a great pick yet but I think he compares very favorably to Devin McCourty, Kyle Wilson, and Patrick Robinson (the guys who were drafted right behind him). KJ was thrown into the fire on one of the worst defenses in history. His growth between seasons one and two was pretty substantial. If he improves again this off season I wouldn't hesitate to say that most fans would see the pick as a success.

That really has nothing to do with this pick though. Apples to oranges.

I think Randle is a better player right now, and I think he will turn out to be the better player. Hill is considered to have better potential because he has better measurable, but I disagree. Hill is the better athlete, but I see Randle ending up as the better football player.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #377
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a problem with the pick. Randle was always a big talent but didn't get a ton of opportunities in that LSU offense with horrible QB play. I can see him being a threat in the red zone, which is something that the Texans need desperately.

Next up:
27- Patriots- Beerlover
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #378
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
For how long will Manning be good enough? He will be 30 years old this season.

Barron would be a fantastic pick as he could be a quality, quality backup SS and special teamer for now. We also have a formation in which we bring in another safety. We used Demps on alot of those packages during the year. Put Barron deep and have Quin play that inside cover position or vise versa. It gives us ALOT of versatility, especially with Quin being such a good nickel back. He could take over at SS when we get rid of Manning and Quin could play FS. Not that big of a transition for a guy like Quin to move from SS to FS.

Barron would be a fantastic pick IMO.
Barron is strictly an in the box safety, which we don't use, and is being phased out league wide because everyone is passing, passing, passing.

Putting Barron deep, is asking to get beat deep.
Old 03-07-2012   #379
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

On the clock:

27- Patriots- Beerlover
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365
Old 03-07-2012   #380
Shaft75
Site Contributor

We're talking about two gifted athletes, so I get going either way. Both were standouts in college and did well at the combine. However, Hill stands out to me as a pretty damn good prospect. He ran a 4.36, his cone drill was like a 6.8 and vertical almost 40". He's an inch taller than Randle, about .2 seconds dater in the 40, jumps 9 inches higher. That's a pretty big advantage if you ask me. Hill's also a team player that excelled at his roll on a team that was based solely on the running game. The dude's almost a can't miss prospect and we have the chance to pick him up at the back end of the 1st round.

To me, Hill's a no brainer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read