Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2005   #1
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA
Default Actual Game Planning?

This will mostly come across as simplistic but it's meant to serve a purpose. Do we game plan? Seriously...

The night before the Cowboys played the Eagles, Parcells decided that he was going to attack and let it fly - the NIGHT BEFORE!

If we do in fact gameplan, why is it that our coaches feel every team we play is vulnerable to the:

screen
hitch
2 yard-3 step slant
4 yard out
audible TO the hitch
audible TO the dive
TE 4 yard drag and/or out

Are other teams NOT vulnerable to going 4 wide?
Are other teams NOT vulnerable to OMG - THE SHOTGUN?
Are other teams NOT vulnerable to throwing the HAILMARY to Mathis for NO OTHER REASON than to make the defense think that we MAY throw a route longer than 10 yards?

If you watch the Texans for the last 2 years (I say 2 because most likely teams did not scheme for us in year 1 and 2) teams have found out that if they stack the box with what seems like 14 players or drop into a cover 2, then they simply shut us down - easy enough.

The fake reverse isn't working for us (Nor does it work for my 8th grade 'A' team)
The play-action on 3 & 12 isn't working
This management is working...

If you're 0 & 6, isn't it possible to practice the shotgun for implementation at least by week 10?
If you're 0 & 6, isn't it possible to try the 4 wide so as to use it by week 10?
Can we try anything else besides the bend but don't break mentality that was EXTREMELY effective for us year 1 & 2 but is destroying us in year 4?

Maybe I'm just ranting and this makes no sense. Maybe it is to childish to focus on fundamentals and gameplanning and OMG 'Strategy' as dictated by a 'general commander' mentality. Dom Caper's mouth open in the form of a oblong O, is not instillnig confidence in the masses, I believe.

Again, can we not just throw it as far as our 2.5 seconds allow just as a decoy 1 singular time?
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #2
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Just accept that Capers has dumbed down the offense to just a handful of plays, thinking we could get by on strict execution of simple playcalls. Our offense has to be the lamest in the league. I mean our longest pass 90% of the time is like some little quick out that might net 8 yards if the WR has some room to move.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not so much a gameplan as an overall philosophy. Take what the opponent gives you and try to keep it close.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #4
William.carter
Veteran

It's hard to go 4-wide when we need 7 to keep the QB upright for more than 2 seconds after the snap.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #5
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

yeah, but if he takes his three step drop (for that luxurious 2.3 seconds) from the shotgun in 4 wide, it does three things:

1.) It moves people out of the box. Period.
2.) It allows you the 2.3 seconds PLUS whatever time those fewer in the box take to get to the QB. Thus, 4 seconds or so...
3.) It looks like we're trying...

Right now, I'd do it simply for reason #3.

:brickwall
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We stopped using the shotgun when we fired Palmer I think....like Palmer was the reason our offense blows....lol

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #7
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

all the other team has to do if we go 4 wide is blitz one guy... any linebacker or safety in the NFL can cover the 15 yards in less than 2 seconds... Our inept offense will usually miss the blitzing opponent, but if by some miracle they pick him up, we still come up empty cause Carr's head is on a swivel trying to avoid the sack instead of completing the pass... and I can't blame him.

It's a sad state of affairs indeed... my plan would be to have Carr roll out about 30 yards deep every other play and throw the ball away if necessary. Have our o-line stay close to the line of scrimmage and let the d-line run themselves ragged chasing Carr all over the field. This would weaken the pass rush of the d-line by starving them for oxygen.

maybe even go with a no huddle to maximize the effect

Last edited by Crank_It_Up; 10-19-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Crank_It_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2005   #8
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default behind the curve

Capers is not an innovator and is one of the last to implement anything new that the rest of the league is at least trying out. Saying this, there is a point/thought that other posters have brought up that I think has a great deal to say about how defenses are being read. Manning is a master of this-reading a defense at the line of scrimage and making adjustments before the ball is even hiked. For one thing-and this really applies to Carr big time-he doesn't have to worry as much about trying to read the defense while running for his life since he already has a good idea of where he is going to throw the ball. Sure, QB's do some reading at the line but most wait for the play to develope which-if you have protection-is OK.

Capers is a fundamentalist. He believes there are certain things a team can do that when executed properly will lead to success. This is obviously flawed for many reasons. First, you've got to have specific ways to move the ball to score points or specific ways to stop the other team from scoring and-most important-you have to have the mindset that every team as well as every game is different....i.e, what worked last week may not work this week but maybe will next week. Capers fails miserably in this area, as he stresses doing basic fundamentals that he thinks will succeed instead of creating plays that may catch the other team off guard. There has not been a single post game press conferfence where Capers has not mentioned execution/doing the basics/playing smart,etc. Ok, why has that not happened?After 2 1/2 years in the NFL, the other teams know what the Texans are going to do week in and week out and probally feel like a kid in a candy store.
...no innovation,no adjustments,no suprises and I have not even mentioned player personnel because no players could succeed in Caper's system. :brickwall
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #9
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
Capers is not an innovator and is one of the last to implement anything new that the rest of the league is at least trying out. Saying this, there is a point/thought that other posters have brought up that I think has a great deal to say about how defenses are being read. Manning is a master of this-reading a defense at the line of scrimage and making adjustments before the ball is even hiked. For one thing-and this really applies to Carr big time-he doesn't have to worry as much about trying to read the defense while running for his life since he already has a good idea of where he is going to throw the ball. Sure, QB's do some reading at the line but most wait for the play to develope which-if you have protection-is OK.

Capers is a fundamentalist. He believes there are certain things a team can do that when executed properly will lead to success. This is obviously flawed for many reasons. First, you've got to have specific ways to move the ball to score points or specific ways to stop the other team from scoring and-most important-you have to have the mindset that every team as well as every game is different....i.e, what worked last week may not work this week but maybe will next week. Capers fails miserably in this area, as he stresses doing basic fundamentals that he thinks will succeed instead of creating plays that may catch the other team off guard. There has not been a single post game press conferfence where Capers has not mentioned execution/doing the basics/playing smart,etc. Ok, why has that not happened?After 2 1/2 years in the NFL, the other teams know what the Texans are going to do week in and week out and probally feel like a kid in a candy store.
...no innovation,no adjustments,no suprises and I have not even mentioned player personnel because no players could succeed in Caper's system. :brickwall
Yes, you have said it well.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #10
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I second that!!
Old 10-20-2005   #11
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA
This will mostly come across as simplistic but it's meant to serve a purpose. Do we game plan? Seriously...

The night before the Cowboys played the Eagles, Parcells decided that he was going to attack and let it fly - the NIGHT BEFORE!

If we do in fact gameplan, why is it that our coaches feel every team we play is vulnerable to the:

screen
hitch
2 yard-3 step slant
4 yard out
audible TO the hitch
audible TO the dive
TE 4 yard drag and/or out

Are other teams NOT vulnerable to going 4 wide?
Are other teams NOT vulnerable to OMG - THE SHOTGUN?
Are other teams NOT vulnerable to throwing the HAILMARY to Mathis for NO OTHER REASON than to make the defense think that we MAY throw a route longer than 10 yards?

If you watch the Texans for the last 2 years (I say 2 because most likely teams did not scheme for us in year 1 and 2) teams have found out that if they stack the box with what seems like 14 players or drop into a cover 2, then they simply shut us down - easy enough.

The fake reverse isn't working for us (Nor does it work for my 8th grade 'A' team)
The play-action on 3 & 12 isn't working
This management is working...

If you're 0 & 6, isn't it possible to practice the shotgun for implementation at least by week 10?
If you're 0 & 6, isn't it possible to try the 4 wide so as to use it by week 10?
Can we try anything else besides the bend but don't break mentality that was EXTREMELY effective for us year 1 & 2 but is destroying us in year 4?

Maybe I'm just ranting and this makes no sense. Maybe it is to childish to focus on fundamentals and gameplanning and OMG 'Strategy' as dictated by a 'general commander' mentality. Dom Caper's mouth open in the form of a oblong O, is not instillnig confidence in the masses, I believe.

Again, can we not just throw it as far as our 2.5 seconds allow just as a decoy 1 singular time?

It's not very hard to defense an offense when you know exactly what plays or schemes they will use!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #12
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA
I thought I was the only one with that thought.
At Seattle, I didn't think the game would ever get past go ... 10 minutes into the game, and they were still trying to figure out how to line up. Looked like pee-wee ball. < this guy is going to get worn out by the end of the season if we stay on this track.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #13
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

The question is not do we gameplan. It should be to we gameplan correctly. I mean of course we gameplan. We always come out with a strengths and weaknesses that we want to try and exploit. The problem with the coaching staff is that they do not change on the fly. Take Seattle with 8 men in the box and we run right at them, instead of audibling to a deep route or intermediate route. That is the main problem. The Indy game they are gonna stack against our run and then drop back into their cover 2 assignments. The best way to beat the cover 2 is deep middle passes or deep sidleline passes either streaks or crosses. Crosses work very well due to the fact that you get through to the windows. Will the coaching staff run these things. NO. But they will run right at the 8 man front. So yes, we do gameplan, just not well...
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read