Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-29-2012   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kuharsky: What I'd do if I ran the Texans

The money isnt mine. Im not certain about what you can afford and what the market will pay when free agency opens on March 13. Im not positive about your plans and schemes.

But Ive got a good sense of your team. We've looked at your free agents.

And heres what Id try to do with your major issues:

1. Make one, big solid offer to defensive end Mario Williams. Very soon. Tell him its the best you are going to be able to do now or later. Expect him not to take it. Prepare for life without him and the crushing reviews youll get when he goes to a place like Seattle or, worse, Jacksonville, and wreaks some havoc as a pass rusher. Take solace that hes overpaid by his new team and will ultimately mess up its cap. Plan to draft a outside linebacker to be third in a rotation with Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed.

2. Free up money with the following moves: Cut receiver Jacoby Jones (due a $3 million base salary) and reserve quarterback Matt Leinart (due a $1.75 million base). Make it clear while youd like to keep them on your team, you cannot pay inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans ($5.9 million), receiver Kevin Walter ($3.5 million base) or defensive tackle Shaun Cody ($2 million) the base salaries they are scheduled to make. Ryans is a good player and a great locker room guy. But he played 58 percent of the Texans' defensive snaps last season. He can't make that money for that time on the field.

3. Do what you need to do to hold on to running back Arian Foster, but realize you have control. Hes a restricted free agent. A team trying to lure him away with an offer sheet would have to give up a first-rounder for him, and as great as he is, a first round pick is a high price for a running back. I think you can be a little risky here in terms of not worrying about outsiders. An offer sheet could be front-loaded and hard to match straight up. Hopefully if hes offered one, hell share the numbers because he likes you and youve give him an equivalent deal shaped differently to get him to steer clear of signing the sheet. With or without outside influence, you should be able to give him a deal hell like that has a smaller 2012 cap number than the franchise tag of nearly $8 million.

4. Find a way to lock up center Chris Myers and dont worry about guard Mike Brisiel, who's not the same caliber and won't cost nearly as much, unless he can be had for cheap. While youd like to keep both, Myers is a better player, who's more valuable and has a better injury history. Hes also more of a the leader of the group. You need him long-term to keep that great running game going. Antoine Caldwell can take over at right guard without major drop off. There is no obvious replacement for Myers on the roster, so theyd have to find one if you let him go.

Link to story here.
Old 02-29-2012   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky: What I'd do if I ran the Texans

I more or less agree with what he said, except his statement that there's no drop off from Briesel to Caldwell at the guard position. Disagree much.

What do you think about his ideas? His article on this issue reads pretty much like the discussions we've had on here regarding Myers, Foster, Williams, JJ and KW, and DeMeco.

I read that article and thought to myself, "Well, all this has pretty much been kicked around on the texanstalk board for the past two months already."

Did he bring anything new to the table, in your opinion?
Old 02-29-2012   #3
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't want to cut Walter, Cody or Ryans but rather see if they can restructure their current contracts. I don't think it would be smart to cut them. IMO, there is a need to have proven veterans on the team for leadership & guidance. History for this team has shown when you don't have a good mix of veterans on the team, it's not pretty <see 2005 & 2010 seasons>
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajoker View Post
I wouldn't want to cut Walter, Cody or Ryans but rather see if they can restructure their current contracts. I don't think it would be smart to cut them. IMO, there is a need to have proven veterans on the team for leadership & guidance. History for this team has shown when you don't have a good mix of veterans on the team, it's not pretty <see 2005 & 2010 seasons>
Yeah, I don't want to be the Cowboys. No leadership AT ALL.
Old 02-29-2012   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't risk the offer sheet with Foster. Thats the only real difference I see
Plus, Id try to keep Briesel. I think he wants to play here
Old 02-29-2012   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Where I disagree: Tie up Foster soon, keep Brisiel, and don't restructure DeMeco's contract. DeMeco's early contract renewal was an example for the rest of the team. That good faith gesture reverses itself if you reduce it.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutting/restructuring DeMeco is a very tricky situation, even if warranted.

He is unquestioned clubhouse leader/cheerleader/motivator -- to a man players love him. Sometimes chemistry is worth more than that.

Everything else is: keep Mario/Arian/Myers & cut Jacoby & Leinart. (Don't want Leinart back, personally.) I'm down with that, as I think most are, but can we do all that?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2012   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

QB - Let Leinart go. Draft a QB to replace him if you want. I trust Yates as QB #2.

HB - Pay Foster.

WR - Cut Jacoby. Draft a replacement. See if Walter will restructure his contract.

OL - Pay Myers. Pay Brisiel if we can. If we can't then expect to draft OG pretty high. I loved Caldwell when we drafted him but he has shown me nothing.

OLB - I would love to keep Mario. Offer him somthing we can afford. If he says no that is fine. He is deserving of the pay day that somebody else will offer him. I like what we have coming back here. Draft OLB depth.

ILB - Ryans' deal was a reward. Asking him to restructure would send a negative message. I think we just need to grit our teeth while he plays out this deal.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Lock down Foster asap.

Agree about cutting Jacoby Jones and Leinart.

Leave DeMeco Ryans alone, but try to work with Cody and Walter, who are both replaceable.

And definitely lock up Chris Myers and Mike Brisiel. Keep that line intact. Continuity is important.

Bye bye Mario.
Old 02-29-2012   #10
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
QB - Let Leinart go. Draft a QB to replace him if you want. I trust Yates as QB #2.

HB - Pay Foster.

WR - Cut Jacoby. Draft a replacement. See if Walter will restructure his contract.

OL - Pay Myers. Pay Brisiel if we can. If we can't then expect to draft OG pretty high. I loved Caldwell when we drafted him but he has shown me nothing.

OLB - I would love to keep Mario. Offer him somthing we can afford. If he says no that is fine. He is deserving of the pay day that somebody else will offer him. I like what we have coming back here. Draft OLB depth.

ILB - Ryans' deal was a reward. Asking him to restructure would send a negative message. I think we just need to grit our teeth while he plays out this deal.
Agreed on all counts.
Old 02-29-2012   #11
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

1-I agree with all of this about Mario.

2-Sure I would cut JJ and Leinart. I don't see Cody as a problem at 2 million. Leave Ryans alone. Try and restructure Walters because I don't really think any teams are going to be blowing up his phone if he is cut and hopefully he knows this.

3-Most will say pay Foster and I agree but I think he is right on how to go about it.

4-Locking up Myers is a no brainer but dumping Brisiel for Caldwell is an extremely bad move.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why anyone would want to cut Cody. 2 million for a starting NT who is capable, not great, is fine. Not much savings in cutting him anyways, but we should draft a NT to groom behind him.
Old 02-29-2012   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

HB - Pay Foster.

This. offer something reasonable to both parties for mario, if he declines, no biggie.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #14
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with what Paul has to say for the most part.
Demeco's contract is a little hefty and his playing time has been cut as well due to the defensive scheme we are running now.
I agree with cutting Jacoby but would keep Leinart so you have 3 qbs.....
I agree with how you offer Mario a contract.....and see if he takes it or heads for the better offer somewhere else....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

HB - Pay Foster.

good post. My understanding is Leinert's & JJ's cap for 2012 is apprx $7m which should get us Foster & a back ended deal.

Mario will sign with enough wiggle room to sign both Myers and Briesel imo. Contracts other than Cody and Ryans could be enough to re-sign Dreesen (unless he gets a starter option elsewhere). I am predicting new NFl cap of at least $124 million. We still can borrow money from a future cap per new CBA. We did not use this tool in 2011 & not sure if that $3m can be rolled over; probably not. Still $4m + $1.5m (my figure though some have stated $3m can be borrowed this season)= 4.5 million which could go towards draft.
Old 02-29-2012   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
I agree with what Paul has to say for the most part.
Demeco's contract is a little hefty and his playing time has been cut as well due to the defensive scheme we are running now.
I agree with cutting Jacoby but would keep Leinart so you have 3 qbs.....
I agree with how you offer Mario a contract.....and see if he takes it or heads for the better offer somewhere else....
You don't think his severe injuries last season had anything to do with his productivity?
Old 02-29-2012   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't see why anyone would want to cut Cody. 2 million for a starting NT who is capable, not great, is fine. Not much savings in cutting him anyways, but we should draft a NT to groom behind him.
I'm thinking that between Cody and Earl Mitchell at a 2012 salary cap hit of probably not much more than $3 Million combined, the Texans are pretty likely to sit tight on NT. Not a strength, but the combo of the two guys doesn't appear to be viewed as a weakness by Wade or Gary, so my guess is that they're thinkin' "If it ain't broke (and it's cheap), don't fix it".

The NT to be groomed probably comes next year after Cody's current contract is up.
Old 02-29-2012   #18
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

how would asking ryans to restructure be a negative????? hes still getting all the money hes owed, just more of it upfront...
Old 02-29-2012   #19
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I would get demeco deal down to 3m with 3m in incentives like snaps,probowl,and all pro. This is serious business and with ryans making almost 7m for a 2 down lb isn't good business. Deqwell jackson dea is at about 5m per and he's as good if not better than ryans. Whe they go sub package, which is over 60%, demeco isn't even on the field.

As stated before, mario@12-14m per,meyers at 5m,foster at 8m in terms of cap hit. Cut cody,jones,lienhart, and let all the other fre agents go. They can be replaced via draft or 2nd tier/3rd free agents. I would like to see the texans bring in a someone like brady quinn to develop with yates.
Old 02-29-2012   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I pretty much agree with everything he said, except the Briesel thing.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read