Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-29-2012   #61
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I could have heard wrong but thought McClain stated on 610 that Texans like Hill both his size, speed & coach-ability but after combine won't be there in 2nd & could be targeted in first
I see Hill as more of a 2nd to 3rd guy, he is still a project for many teams, and using such a high pick could really hurt.
Old 02-29-2012   #62
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

WalterFootball has Texans taking Hill in their latest mock:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Of all the spots we have a need, LG, WR2, center, CB2, NT and maybe OLB all but WR offer a starter ahead of draft pick that allows a #1 pick to not have pressure to start. Some could argue that Walter could be #2 WR and allow Hill (if selected) to train behind him. I just do not see that. A WR selection in first or second should compete for starter minutes, imo. The talk and goal has been to draft someone to play opposite AJ.

A high potential non starter WR should be taken later such as Jordan White or Broyles; not #26.
Old 02-29-2012   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Not knowing anything about this guy and after reading this thread I saw a guy over at BRB putting a scouting report on him. They evaluated him for his game against UNC and had this to say..

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/2/...9/stephen-hill

It was just one game, but they came away with the same negative impressions many people on here are saying.
I disagree with most of their takes.
Except for the drop, there were a lot to like about his game.
One needs to pay more attention to the details when scouting a player, IMHO.
I watched another game last night.
Hopefully, I can come up with a report tonight.
He has pretty good route running ability already, there I said it.

First impressions (after watching 3 games and highlights of 4 other games): I can see him going late in the first or somewhere in the second round.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I disagree with most of their takes.
Except for the drop, there were a lot to like about his game.
One needs to pay more attention to the details when scouting a player, IMHO.
I watched another game last night.
Hopefully, I can come up with a report tonight.
He has pretty good route running ability already, there I said it.

First impressions (after watching 3 games and highlights of 4 other games): I can see him going late in the first or somewhere in the second round.
76 aren't most if not all his routes straight and deep? Usually left uncovered which adds to his avg. Reminds me some of an early career Bob Hayes Dallas in that respect.
Old 02-29-2012   #66
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2088 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/29...es-going-deep/
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #67
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I see Hill as more of a 2nd to 3rd guy, he is still a project for many teams, and using such a high pick could really hurt.
He probably should be a 2nd or 3rd round guy. But somebody will fall in love with his athleticism and take him in the 1st. It happens every year.

I think the guy is a tremendous athlete. But he is a project. I don't like him for the Texans unless we are taking two WRs in this draft.

Last edited by bah007; 02-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #68
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody has their own opinion. Which makes this forum go around & around. To me there is too much focus on the first pick, always! I'm already tired of the debate & would just accept Stephen Hill now & be done with it so could focus on other players/positions. As is custom around here a lot of people are going to be upset with whoever Texans select anyway. For those negative on Hill have your crying towels ready come April 26th around 10:30 pm.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Everybody has their own opinion. Which makes this forum go around & around. To me there is too much focus on the first pick, always! I'm already tired of the debate & would just accept Stephen Hill now & be done with it so could focus on other players/positions. As is custom around here a lot of people are going to be upset with whoever Texans select anyway. For those negative on Hill have your crying towels ready come April 26th around 10:30 pm.
Scout has Hill rated as the 7th best WR behind both Sanu & Randle. How would you feel if the Texans selected Hill before both?

Scout.com doesn't list Hill in the top 50 players. Wouldn't you be upset if the Texans picked someone not in the top 50 at 26?
Old 02-29-2012   #70
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't dislike Hill, but rather see him in a pack of WRs with 2nd round grades.

I'd prefer to nab a DT as there will be very good relative talent available at 26 this year.

But I can't decide until knowing if we keep Myers (I'd go OL, then) and if we keep Mario (opens option for LBs who I haven't focused on.) IMO, losing Myers kills us -- and Green Bay has to be darned tempting.
Old 02-29-2012   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I don't dislike Hill, but rather see him in a pack of WRs with 2nd round grades.

I'd prefer to nab a DT as there will be very good relative talent available at 26 this year.

But I can't decide until knowing if we keep Myers (I'd go OL, then) and if we keep Mario (opens option for LBs who I haven't focused on.) IMO, losing Myers kills us -- and Green Bay has to be darned tempting.
I'd be thrilled if we drop out of the first all together, resulting in 3 second round picks..... using two of them on WR
Old 02-29-2012   #72
axisv
Rookie

Default Stephen Hill WR

If this guy is available when we pick in the first should be take him? His measurables are amazing but he seems to be unpolished as a receiver/route runner. Personally, I hope Dontari Poe is still available but I doubt it.
axisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #73
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: Stephen Hill WR

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90033
Old 02-29-2012   #74
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisv View Post
If this guy is available when we pick in the first should be take him? His measurables are amazing but he seems to be unpolished as a receiver/route runner. Personally, I hope Dontari Poe is still available but I doubt it.
If our only options are Hill and Poe then I hope like hell that we trade back.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #75
axisv
Rookie

Did not see the previous thread. Thanks for the link.
axisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #76
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
He'd probably have 48 videos. There are 100 Al Davis' in this thread right meow.
This. Speed is less important that the ability to get seperation and sure hands. I hate the 40. The only people it is actually relevant for are returners. They are the only ones who truly get a head start. Burst, change of direction, use of body to shield defenders, catching away from your body with soft hands, change of direction. All more important.
Old 02-29-2012   #77
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not buying it. No matter what the sport, players who come out of nowhere like this due to combine results typically never work out like teams want to.

Texans don't need a project right now, and Hill would definitely be a project. They need someone who can contribute now should the injury bug settle in with Andre again. Even with Walter and possibly Jones on the team, this rookie (if we take a WR early) will be expected to pick things up quick, because we've got playoffs on the mind, and we don't have time we used to in the past to wait on players.

It might even be a smokescreen by the Texans, trying to hype Hill so another WR they want drops to them.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #78
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
This. Speed is less important that the ability to get seperation and sure hands. I hate the 40. The only people it is actually relevant for are returners. They are the only ones who truly get a head start. Burst, change of direction, use of body to shield defenders, catching away from your body with soft hands, change of direction. All more important.
catching away from your body & body control you say?

Lol, i know you guys are tired of me talking about this kid, but i think he's going to be a steal for whomever picks him up.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #79
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
catching away from your body & body control you say?

Lol, i know you guys are tired of me talking about this kid, but i think he's going to be a steal for whomever picks him up.
I will not be tired of you talking about him. What I also like about him is that he is the son of former Jets WR Al Toon, a very good WR in his day. Not that I think blood lines will equal to a great WR but typically the kids whose father played pro ball before tend to know how to be a professional and you don't have to worry about behavior issues.

Secondly, we have yet to be disappointed from any of our draft picks from Wisconsin. Even Garrett Graham, in his limited duty has shown flashes and I think will be a contributor this year. When Watt was drafted there was an interview with the head coach and he was asked why has Wisconsin put out some good pros. His response was "because we play football over here. We play it the wya it is supposed to be played. Not with all these zone read offenses and flashy defenses."

I think Toon is going to give you a very solid, productive receiver. Is he able to take teams off AJ, I don't know. Is he a first rounder, I don't know. But he hasn't shown anything to make you say no either.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #80
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I will not be tired of you talking about him. What I also like about him is that he is the son of former Jets WR Al Toon, a very good WR in his day. Not that I think blood lines will equal to a great WR but typically the kids whose father played pro ball before tend to know how to be a professional and you don't have to worry about behavior issues.

Secondly, we have yet to be disappointed from any of our draft picks from Wisconsin. Even Garrett Graham, in his limited duty has shown flashes and I think will be a contributor this year. When Watt was drafted there was an interview with the head coach and he was asked why has Wisconsin put out some good pros. His response was "because we play football over here. We play it the wya it is supposed to be played. Not with all these zone read offenses and flashy defenses."

I think Toon is going to give you a very solid, productive receiver. Is he able to take teams off AJ, I don't know. Is he a first rounder, I don't know. But he hasn't shown anything to make you say no either.
yeah, i just don't understand how teams continue to let the 40 time ruin the whole draft scouting process. The league & its history are riddled with guys that don't have what you would call elite speed. but those same guys show a knack for being able to get open. Jerry Rice, Micheal Irvin, Rod Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker & the 2 guys i most associate this kid to..Anquan Boldin & Marques Colston.

I really hope we're seriously targeting this kid somewhere in the 1st or 2nd. My only fear is that SF, Tenn, Jax, TB or worse ......NE / NO snatch him up before us.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read