Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-28-2012   #1
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Dream Mock thread

Just having a little fun here. Post your ideal draft for the Texans, not who you think they'll take but who you'd really like to see in a Texans uniform. Pretend for just a moment that the stars align perfectly for us for once. Just don't get too crazy, like RG3 or Blackman in rd 1 or giving us sure fire 1st rd picks in later rounds.

Rd 1 Michael Floyd WR

I doubt he makes to us but as a long time ND fan I really like this guy's game. He's a terrific football player. Great hands, good speed, willing blocker in the running game, and has played in a pro style offense. Not a great season this year due to very spotty QB play, but this guy would be terrific as a WR2 with AJ

Rd 2 Vinny Curry OLB

I thought this guy would be a late first or early second rounders but with a slower than expected 40 time, he may indeed fall to us in rd 2. He would make a terrific addition to our OLB rotation. Remember 40 time isn't everything, Suggs ran a very pedestrian 40 but has obviously been very productive.

Rd 3 Mike Martin NT

I just like this guy, tough, athletic, strong and physical. He would make a great addition to our NT rotation and allow Mitchell to move out to DE bolstering our depth their as well.

Rd 4 Janzen Jackson DB

Ultra athletic DB to add to this mix

Rd 5

Philip Blake or David Molk OC

young center to groom.

Rd 6

Devon Wylie Wr

Quick slot receiver and return man

Rd 7

Chase Ford TE

Come on, it's the Texas, we've got to pick at least 1 TE.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dream Mock thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Just having a little fun here. Post your ideal draft for the Texans, not who you think they'll take but who you'd really like to see in a Texans uniform. Pretend for just a moment that the stars align perfectly for us for once. Just don't get too crazy, like RG3 or Blackman in rd 1 or giving us sure fire 1st rd picks in later rounds.

Rd 1 Michael Floyd WR

I doubt he makes to us but as a long time ND fan I really like this guy's game. He's a terrific football player. Great hands, good speed, willing blocker in the running game, and has played in a pro style offense. Not a great season this year due to very spotty QB play, but this guy would be terrific as a WR2 with AJ

Rd 2 Vinny Curry OLB

I thought this guy would be a late first or early second rounders but with a slower than expected 40 time, he may indeed fall to us in rd 2. He would make a terrific addition to our OLB rotation. Remember 40 time isn't everything, Suggs ran a very pedestrian 40 but has obviously been very productive.

Rd 3 Mike Martin NT

I just like this guy, tough, athletic, strong and physical. He would make a great addition to our NT rotation and allow Mitchell to move out to DE bolstering our depth their as well.

Rd 4 Janzen Jackson DB

Ultra athletic DB to add to this mix

Rd 5

Philip Blake or David Molk OC

young center to groom.

Rd 6

Devon Wylie Wr

Quick slot receiver and return man

Rd 7

Chase Ford TE

Come on, it's the Texas, we've got to pick at least 1 TE.
I'm concerned if Floyd has corrected the drinking issue. One of the ESPN guys@ combine stated Floyd had "handled his business on and off field". I don't see a DB and would go WR in 4th ideally as at least 2 guys there I want. Blake in 5th violates your parameters imo as he is a 3rd minimum (listed #5 G/C per Mayock).

Enjoyed the mock
Old 02-28-2012   #3
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm concerned if Floyd has corrected the drinking issue. One of the ESPN guys@ combine stated Floyd had "handled his business on and off field". I don't see a DB and would go WR in 4th ideally as at least 2 guys there I want. Blake in 5th violates your parameters imo as he is a 3rd minimum (listed #5 G/C per Mayock).

Enjoyed the mock
I think Floyd has cleaned himself up. I was looking at nfldraftscout.com for rankings. We might not go DB, he's just a really good athlete and I think we need some S depth. Taylor form LSU might be interesting in the 4th or 5th, we could also easily flip flop 4 and 5 and go interior OL in 4 and a solid S for depth in 5
Old 02-28-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Floyd has cleaned himself up. I was looking at nfldraftscout.com for rankings. We might not go DB, he's just a really good athlete and I think we need some S depth. Taylor form LSU might be interesting in the 4th or 5th, we could also easily flip flop 4 and 5 and go interior OL in 4 and a solid S for depth in 5
We really need a OG. I mocked Lonnie Edwards in 3rd as a true left guard.
Old 02-28-2012   #5
otisbean
All Pro

I agree we need some depth at OG, to be honest Im not super familiar with the interior OL in the draft outside the top5-6 guys.
Old 02-28-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I agree we need some depth at OG, to be honest Im not super familiar with the interior OL in the draft outside the top5-6 guys.
Decastro is the best and he and Konz should be gone although some have Konz available. I like Zeitler from Wisconsin (Beerlover turned me on to him some time ago) but he is a second round that may also be gone by #58.
Old 02-28-2012   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Konz may be there at 26. And if that is the case, he should garner heavy consideration.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think Konz may be there at 26. And if that is the case, he should garner heavy consideration.
if he could play OG also that would be useful and worth #26. Go WR 2nd & 4th and NT in 3rd. Do you agree that Phillip Blake will be a 3rd round?
Old 02-28-2012   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
if he could play OG also that would be useful and worth #26. Go WR 2nd & 4th and NT in 3rd. Do you agree that Phillip Blake will be a 3rd round?
The mock I am currently working on has Konz in the first, a NT in the second, a WR in the 3rd. That is where I am at now.

I could see Blake being there in the third. He did not have a great showing, but it was not bad. Late 3rd is within the range he could go.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't been keeping up, is Myers pretty much gone because they want to keep Mario?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
The mock I am currently working on has Konz in the first, a NT in the second, a WR in the 3rd. That is where I am at now.

I could see Blake being there in the third. He did not have a great showing, but it was not bad. Late 3rd is within the range he could go.
Really like Blake after watching him so much. Depending on whom you select in third as WR I could go with you. If you remember from our early mock discussion, I expected Konz to go way before us. I do think Myers will be with us and therefore would prefer a lower round for C/G
Old 02-28-2012   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

1 Andrew Luck, QB
2 Michael Floyd, WR
3 Peter Konz, C
4 Kevin Zietler, OG
5 Kendall Wright, WR
6 Quentin Coples, DE
7 Blake Griffin, TE
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it bother draftniks that Kontz has missed 6-7 games in the last 2 yrs?

Or that Kontz only lifted 18 reps at the combine?

It surely made me pause. I had him as a 10 yr probowler. Now not so much. But Strength is the one thing that can easily be improved upon. Given Kontz work ethic getting stronger shouldn't be a problem.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Does it bother draftniks that Kontz has missed 6-7 games in the last 2 yrs?

Or that Kontz only lifted 18 reps at the combine?

It surely made me pause. I had him as a 10 yr probowler. Now not so much. But Strength is the one thing that can easily be improved upon. Given Kontz work ethic getting stronger shouldn't be a problem.
Because of the bench press reps?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Because of the bench press reps?
Not really,

Because of his work ethic.

But it did suprise me.

But the injury history bothers me more.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Not really,

Because of his work ethic.

But it did suprise me.

But the injury history bothers me more.
I agree. I put zero stock in bench press reps unless we're talking about a guy who can't hardly throw it up at all.

There are guys who throw up 35 reps but can't block a soul. And then you have guys who throw up 20 and end up as All Pros.

The only thing X number of reps on 225 tells me is how many times a guy can bench 225. It tells me nothing about his ability to play football.

I understand that people want to see a test for strength at the combine but repping out on bench press isn't a test of functional football strength.
Old 02-29-2012   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Decastro is the best and he and Konz should be gone although some have Konz available. I like Zeitler from Wisconsin (Beerlover turned me on to him some time ago) but he is a second round that may also be gone by #58.
Its quite possible Zietler goes late in the first round ..... Pittsburgh or New England maybe. Both desperately need to upgrade their OL toprotect those milti-million dollar QB's.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. I put zero stock in bench press reps unless we're talking about a guy who can't hardly throw it up at all.

There are guys who throw up 35 reps but can't block a soul. And then you have guys who throw up 20 and end up as All Pros.

The only thing X number of reps on 225 tells me is how many times a guy can bench 225. It tells me nothing about his ability to play football.

I understand that people want to see a test for strength at the combine but repping out on bench press isn't a test of functional football strength.
It's suppose to show if a college player is dedicated to staying in good condition (strength) or if he was not so dedicated in the weight room. True, it doesn't show how good a football player he is, but it speaks more to his discipline as a player. As an example, no one can question Cushing's discipline because of his dedication in the weight room and his intense workouts. They knew he could play football by watching his tapes. The bench press is just another tool to find out what kind of person you're drafting.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
It's suppose to show if a college player is dedicated to staying in good condition (strength) or if he was not so dedicated in the weight room. True, it doesn't show how good a football player he is, but it speaks more to his discipline as a player. As an example, no one can question Cushing's discipline because of his dedication in the weight room and his intense workouts. They knew he could play football by watching his tapes. The bench press is just another tool to find out what kind of person you're drafting.
I know a lot of people buy into that but I don't. Now, if we're talking about a guy that does significantly less reps than the other players at his position then I agree we have a problem. But moving guys down your board because they did 5 or so less reps than someone else? That's crazy.

Once you start getting to 15+ reps you are not even testing muscular strength anymore anyway, you are testing muscular endurance.

Football is a fast twitch sport, and benching for reps recruits your slow twitch muscle fibers. So I would say it has very little to do with anything, unless like I mentioned, if a guy is significantly behind his peers.
Old 02-29-2012   #20
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
I know a lot of people buy into that but I don't. Now, if we're talking about a guy that does significantly less reps than the other players at his position then I agree we have a problem. But moving guys down your board because they did 5 or so less reps than someone else? That's crazy.

Once you start getting to 15+ reps you are not even testing muscular strength anymore anyway, you are testing muscular endurance.

Football is a fast twitch sport, and benching for reps recruits your slow twitch muscle fibers. So I would say it has very little to do with anything, unless like I mentioned, if a guy is significantly behind his peers.
I've been a strength coach for over 16 years, I hate the 225 test. There's a story about a bodybuilder and powerlifter having a squat contest. The PL squatted over 900lbs while the BB put up 800 (for the record the PL was the first man to squat over 1,000 in competition so 900 wan't a max). Then they put on 625 to see who could perform the most reps, the PL hit 12-15 and the BB hit 25. If you just look at their 625 numbers you would think the BB was the stronger of the 2, but in reality the PL is WAAAY stronger. It's the same thing with the 225 test. The theory is the stronger guy will bench 225 more times, but you need to factor in limb length and the athlete's genetic make up (fast twitch vs slow twitch ect..). Truth is you can't serve two masters. You can be good at reps or you can be good at a max output, but not both, they're too dissimilar.

There are so many cool aspects of the combine, but there are a bunch of things that I would love to see changed - a fully electronically timed 40, a better upper body strength/power evaluation, more position specific drills ect..

Last edited by otisbean; 02-29-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read