Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Late Morning Mock...

1) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

I think Wright will be on the board. I think it's a stretch for 4 WR's to be picked before our pick and I think that some team could pick Alshon ahead of Wright. My only concern is Cleveland taking RG3 and then wanting Wright with their next pick. I like Wright a lot and I've made that known. If I were the Texans I'd trade up a few spots to grab him, so either way I'm mocking him with our first.

2) Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Coming off of an injury and I think he'll fall. If he was healthy I think he would be a first round pick. High energy, high motor guy similar to JJ Watt. I think Crick gives us more flexibility and more insurance on the D-Line. I think he could also play over the center some if necessary. I think this would be a high value pick up. The guy is a really good football player.



3) Isiah Pead, RB, Cincy
Pead is perfect for our scheme. He ran a variation of it in college and is already a one cut/cutback runner. Good vision, Really good balance, really good speed. He is also a pretty good pass protector. He also can compete for kick-off return duties.

4) Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina
Big Athletic guy. Transferred to Regina from LSU. Has tons of potential and talent. I think this is a good situation for him and with Collar and Wade we could have a beast on our hands. 6'5" 324 lbs and moves his frame very well.

5) Chris Rainey, RB, WR, Returner

Do it all guy with excellent athleticism and speed. Will likely run in the mid to low 4.3's. Soft hands, can play the slot. Some comparisons to Percy Harvin as far as potential and ability. This would give Kubiak even more toys to play with. I would think of him as a more polished Trindon Holiday. Taking Rainey is like taking a WR, RB, and KR all in one because he is pretty good at all of them.


6) Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly

Played RB in highschool. Good toughness, excellent ball skills, returner ability. I think he wil lbe available here as there are a bunch of corners in this draft and there are quite a few ranked above him. I think the fact that he is coming out of a small school and isn't the biggest guy will hurt him some.


7) Tyler Nielsen, LB, Iowa

Smart, tough, hardworking and athletic. Perfect fit for our defense. Would probably play ILB in our defense, but should make an immediate impact on special teams.



Overview:

Offensive Line is missing from this mock. I don't know if this is how it will be in actuality, but I didn't take a linemen because of the depth that we currently have at the position. Caldwell had some mistakes this year, but I think he is good depth. Shelley Smith is good depth. I liked the little I saw from Newton during the season when they brought him in on short yardage plays as a TE or Tackle Over.

I took Crick because I think he is good value in the second round. I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about him, but he is a really good player. that would be a boost to our rotation and allow guys to stay fresh while not losing much in terms of defensive ability. He would also be good insurance if anyone happened to get hurt. I also like his versatility to be able to play inside some if needed.

I think for the most part we only had 5 DL last season. I took Hicks and again, I think he provides good value for the selection. I think he'd immediately push for playing time.

I like Rainey a lot and he's a guy that I'd look to take regardless (kind of like how I feel about Kendall Wright). I think he would be an excellent addition to the offense and special teams.

Asa Jackson is also the DB I would target. Again, I took a guy who can double as a returner. I don't want to see Manning taking every rep on kickoffs and I don't want to see Jacoby taking any reps anywhere. (He should be cut and I think this mock allows us to do so).

Annnnndddd...that's pretty much it...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #2
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro
 
TdotTexas2Step's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 545
Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Kendall Wright's getting imaginary hype from the media right now, and if Wright capitalizes on this at the combine with a good 40 speed, he won't make it to 26.

With that said, I really hope he's there, but something's telling me it's going to be one of those "If he's as good as some Texans fans peg him to be, he won't be there when we pick" kind of things.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
Kendall Wright's getting imaginary hype from the media right now, and if Wright capitalizes on this at the combine with a good 40 speed, he won't make it to 26.

With that said, I really hope he's there, but something's telling me it's going to be one of those "If he's as good as some Texans fans peg him to be, he won't be there when we pick" kind of things.
Last year I wanted Von Miller and I pegged him as our pick early in the mock draft process...

But by the time the draft came around he was long gone by the time we were on the clock...I was hoping for a trade up...

I hadn't looked at JJ Watt much, but after we made the pick I understood why...

If we don't get Wright, I'm hoping for a similar situation...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Age: 28
Posts: 7,648
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Kind of mix of your own and beerlover's mock but if it fell like this I'd be pretty stoked. I don't think Wright will be around but time will tell. Crick looks like a beast to me, I don't really believe his injury will drop him past mid 2nd round but if he's around when the Texans pick....my goodness he would be a treat to watch.

Probably would've gone OL instead of that RB but that's just me. I don't think Nielsen falls to the 7th, everything I read of him is that he's got size and covers like a blanket. Can't find any video of him though, I'd be interested if you found anything.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,012
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
1) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

I think Wright will be on the board. I think it's a stretch for 4 WR's to be picked before our pick and I think that some team could pick Alshon ahead of Wright. My only concern is Cleveland taking RG3 and then wanting Wright with their next pick. I like Wright a lot and I've made that known. If I were the Texans I'd trade up a few spots to grab him, so either way I'm mocking him with our first.

2) Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Coming off of an injury and I think he'll fall. If he was healthy I think he would be a first round pick. High energy, high motor guy similar to JJ Watt. I think Crick gives us more flexibility and more insurance on the D-Line. I think he could also play over the center some if necessary. I think this would be a high value pick up. The guy is a really good football player.



3) Isiah Pead, RB, Cincy
Pead is perfect for our scheme. He ran a variation of it in college and is already a one cut/cutback runner. Good vision, Really good balance, really good speed. He is also a pretty good pass protector. He also can compete for kick-off return duties.

4) Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina
Big Athletic guy. Transferred to Regina from LSU. Has tons of potential and talent. I think this is a good situation for him and with Collar and Wade we could have a beast on our hands. 6'5" 324 lbs and moves his frame very well.

5) Chris Rainey, RB, WR, Returner

Do it all guy with excellent athleticism and speed. Will likely run in the mid to low 4.3's. Soft hands, can play the slot. Some comparisons to Percy Harvin as far as potential and ability. This would give Kubiak even more toys to play with. I would think of him as a more polished Trindon Holiday. Taking Rainey is like taking a WR, RB, and KR all in one because he is pretty good at all of them.


6) Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly

Played RB in highschool. Good toughness, excellent ball skills, returner ability. I think he wil lbe available here as there are a bunch of corners in this draft and there are quite a few ranked above him. I think the fact that he is coming out of a small school and isn't the biggest guy will hurt him some.


7) Tyler Nielsen, LB, Iowa

Smart, tough, hardworking and athletic. Perfect fit for our defense. Would probably play ILB in our defense, but should make an immediate impact on special teams.



Overview:

Offensive Line is missing from this mock. I don't know if this is how it will be in actuality, but I didn't take a linemen because of the depth that we currently have at the position. Caldwell had some mistakes this year, but I think he is good depth. Shelley Smith is good depth. I liked the little I saw from Newton during the season when they brought him in on short yardage plays as a TE or Tackle Over.

I took Crick because I think he is good value in the second round. I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about him, but he is a really good player. that would be a boost to our rotation and allow guys to stay fresh while not losing much in terms of defensive ability. He would also be good insurance if anyone happened to get hurt. I also like his versatility to be able to play inside some if needed.

I think for the most part we only had 5 DL last season. I took Hicks and again, I think he provides good value for the selection. I think he'd immediately push for playing time.

I like Rainey a lot and he's a guy that I'd look to take regardless (kind of like how I feel about Kendall Wright). I think he would be an excellent addition to the offense and special teams.

Asa Jackson is also the DB I would target. Again, I took a guy who can double as a returner. I don't want to see Manning taking every rep on kickoffs and I don't want to see Jacoby taking any reps anywhere. (He should be cut and I think this mock allows us to do so).

Annnnndddd...that's pretty much it...
I'm thinking if Cleveland trades up they may have to also give their second first round to beat out Washington's offer. We are talking about 2nd pick and it should be worth a lot. It would also be interesting if Wright is gone and Washington beaten out for RG3, drafts a WR or OL @6 and then trades up for our #26 to select Tannehill.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm thinking if Cleveland trades up they may have to also give their second first round to beat out Washington's offer. We are talking about 2nd pick and it should be worth a lot. It would also be interesting if Wright is gone and Washington beaten out for RG3, drafts a WR or OL @6 and then trades up for our #26 to select Tannehill.
I think it will be interesting as well...

I think someone is going to trade up for RG3...or Luck (if the colts pull a surprise move and take RG3)...

Alshon is starting to drop, but if he runs a good time at the combine he'll move back up...

But like I said in this mock...I'd trade up to get Wright if I had to. We don't have as many holes on the back end so trading mid-late round draft picks from this year or next shouldn't be a huge issue.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,012
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Hoping Alshon shows up fit and runs like the wind is in his pants. If Kendall drops to 26 I'll do the Macarina. Think Zeitler could be there #58? I found a mock recently that was exactly like mine: Wright, Zeitler, Chapman and Jordan White. I almost fainted.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2012   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the "Control Room"
Age: 59
Posts: 1,718
Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hoping Alshon shows up fit and runs like the wind is in his pants. If Kendall drops to 26 I'll do the Macarina. Think Zeitler could be there #58? I found a mock recently that was exactly like mine: Wright, Zeitler, Chapman and Jordan White. I almost fainted.
I think that would be a great draft if it fell that way. But alas, it never falls that way. Either the player is gone before the Texans pick, or if he is there, they pick someone else. And then everyone is going nuts trying to figure out why they didn't pick the guy you thought they should pick and who the heck is the guy they did pick!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Gonna just piggy back off my old thread...

1) Dontari Poe -- I had mocked him to us before, but that was way back when he was considered a mid round prospect. The guy has shot up the boards since then. He is exploxive, strong and massive. He has Ngata type potential. He would immediately challenge mitchell and Cody for playing time. He would also make an immediate impact on this defense. With the high motor, high energy guys we have hopefully it would rub off and we could have a true beast on our hands.

2) Tommy Streeter--Big, blazing fast and has tons of potential. This is an overview of him I found:

Quote:
Streeter is quite raw and is currently winning off natural ability. He usually wins contested catches and has deceptive downfield speed during his routes and after the catch. However, Streeter has been quite limited in creating separation and the routes that he succeeds with.

He may not look like the typical slot receiver, but that is where Streeter is most successful. When facing off coverage or after moving in motion, Streeter can certainly win down the seam or in soft zones on intermediate routes. He is an instant red-zone target that can begin his career as an NFL team's fourth wide receiver and developmental project.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...tommy-streeter

This is the perfect receiver to add to our offense. I have been stuck on Kendall Wright, but Streeter is my new crush. Enough speed to blow the roof off of defenses, but is very adept to playing in the slot. Big body, should be able to block well. He is the perfect #3 receiver for us IMHO.


3) Janzen Jackson-- This is another new face in my mocks. I am really liking this kids ability, but he does have some character concerns. I think that he will be a good character guy though and I think this is a good city and a good team for him to really concentrate on football. I think that he would be awesome coming in for certain packages. He is a big hitter and he is really good in coverage. Fluid enough to play corner but he definitely has the physiclity of a safety.

4) Chris Rainey -- Another infusion of speed into the offense and....Wala, we found our return man. Rainey is a do it all guy. Can play in the slot, is a really good running back and like I previously mentioned he a dynamic return man. He has world class speed, but he is definitely a football player and not just a track guy.

5) Ryan Miller -- OG from Colorado. Tall guy at 6'8", but plays with excellent leverage. He can probably play some tackle if needed to, but will probably have to adjust to the speed rushers in the NFL. Would be an excellent addition as a late round guard though.

6) Asa Jackson -- Yes, I'm taking a corner. Asa has return skills, is tough, fast, and has ball skills. Would be a good 6th round pick. I think Asa would challenge to make the roster right away, but if not hopefully he'd last on the practice squad...or Gary may pull one of his "IR" tricks.

7) Grant Garner -- Center from Oklahoma state. Perfect guy for what we want our linemen to do. He is 6'2", 292 lbs. Very consistent player that uses physicality and toughness to make his blocks.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame
 
WolverineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,349
Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Gonna just piggy back off my old thread...

1) Dontari Poe -- I had mocked him to us before, but that was way back when he was considered a mid round prospect. The guy has shot up the boards since then. He is exploxive, strong and massive. He has Ngata type potential. He would immediately challenge mitchell and Cody for playing time. He would also make an immediate impact on this defense. With the high motor, high energy guys we have hopefully it would rub off and we could have a true beast on our hands.

2) Tommy Streeter--Big, blazing fast and has tons of potential. This is an overview of him I found:




http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...tommy-streeter

This is the perfect receiver to add to our offense. I have been stuck on Kendall Wright, but Streeter is my new crush. Enough speed to blow the roof off of defenses, but is very adept to playing in the slot. Big body, should be able to block well. He is the perfect #3 receiver for us IMHO.


3) Janzen Jackson-- This is another new face in my mocks. I am really liking this kids ability, but he does have some character concerns. I think that he will be a good character guy though and I think this is a good city and a good team for him to really concentrate on football. I think that he would be awesome coming in for certain packages. He is a big hitter and he is really good in coverage. Fluid enough to play corner but he definitely has the physiclity of a safety.

4) Chris Rainey -- Another infusion of speed into the offense and....Wala, we found our return man. Rainey is a do it all guy. Can play in the slot, is a really good running back and like I previously mentioned he a dynamic return man. He has world class speed, but he is definitely a football player and not just a track guy.

5) Ryan Miller -- OG from Colorado. Tall guy at 6'8", but plays with excellent leverage. He can probably play some tackle if needed to, but will probably have to adjust to the speed rushers in the NFL. Would be an excellent addition as a late round guard though.

6) Asa Jackson -- Yes, I'm taking a corner. Asa has return skills, is tough, fast, and has ball skills. Would be a good 6th round pick. I think Asa would challenge to make the roster right away, but if not hopefully he'd last on the practice squad...or Gary may pull one of his "IR" tricks.

7) Grant Garner -- Center from Oklahoma state. Perfect guy for what we want our linemen to do. He is 6'2", 292 lbs. Very consistent player that uses physicality and toughness to make his blocks.
Gonna be honest, not a fan. Lots of 'potential' picks here, especially early.

Poe did nothing outstanding in college, he was only rated high because he's a NT. The only thing similar to Ngata is his size, after that they are totally different. Ngata dominated in a BCS conference and Poe was above average in C-USA. Now he'll be pegged as a 1st round talent because of his combine workout.

Streeter is extremely raw. If we're looking for a guy to contribute quickly, then he's a bad pick.

Jackson carries a huge red flag character-wise. He has skills, but he's one of those guys with ability that I'd pass on because of his off the field stuff.

Rainey is a utility guy and could be useful on offense and in the return game. I'm not his biggest fan but he's a huge upgrade over Holliday.

Miller is another 'potential' pick, but this late in the draft that's totally fine. Guy has the size and the measureables, but something is missing. He got exposed at the Senior Bowl and did not have a good senior year.

Not familiar with Jackson.

Garner is a decent prospect and has experience in the ZBS. Can't hate on the pickup.
__________________
"Those who stay will be champions."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,968
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Gonna just piggy back off my old thread...

1) Dontari Poe -- I had mocked him to us before, but that was way back when he was considered a mid round prospect. The guy has shot up the boards since then. He is exploxive, strong and massive. He has Ngata type potential. He would immediately challenge mitchell and Cody for playing time. He would also make an immediate impact on this defense. With the high motor, high energy guys we have hopefully it would rub off and we could have a true beast on our hands.

2) Tommy Streeter--Big, blazing fast and has tons of potential. This is an overview of him I found:




http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...tommy-streeter

This is the perfect receiver to add to our offense. I have been stuck on Kendall Wright, but Streeter is my new crush. Enough speed to blow the roof off of defenses, but is very adept to playing in the slot. Big body, should be able to block well. He is the perfect #3 receiver for us IMHO.


3) Janzen Jackson-- This is another new face in my mocks. I am really liking this kids ability, but he does have some character concerns. I think that he will be a good character guy though and I think this is a good city and a good team for him to really concentrate on football. I think that he would be awesome coming in for certain packages. He is a big hitter and he is really good in coverage. Fluid enough to play corner but he definitely has the physiclity of a safety.

4) Chris Rainey -- Another infusion of speed into the offense and....Wala, we found our return man. Rainey is a do it all guy. Can play in the slot, is a really good running back and like I previously mentioned he a dynamic return man. He has world class speed, but he is definitely a football player and not just a track guy.

5) Ryan Miller -- OG from Colorado. Tall guy at 6'8", but plays with excellent leverage. He can probably play some tackle if needed to, but will probably have to adjust to the speed rushers in the NFL. Would be an excellent addition as a late round guard though.

6) Asa Jackson -- Yes, I'm taking a corner. Asa has return skills, is tough, fast, and has ball skills. Would be a good 6th round pick. I think Asa would challenge to make the roster right away, but if not hopefully he'd last on the practice squad...or Gary may pull one of his "IR" tricks.

7) Grant Garner -- Center from Oklahoma state. Perfect guy for what we want our linemen to do. He is 6'2", 292 lbs. Very consistent player that uses physicality and toughness to make his blocks.
I am quite torn here. I love the Poe pick, but hate the Streeter pick. The guy is just not a natural receiver.

And then I like Janzen Jackson, but am only meh with Rainey. I think he is a better pick than Streeter, but I doubt he does anything more than return kicks.

Miller is not a good pick to me. A 6'8" guy is just too tall for an interior lineman. All the QBs would need to be 6'3"+ to be able to see and throw comfortably over him.

But your last 2 picks are solid. Jackson brings a lot to the table, and Garner has the history in the ZBS.

After writing that, I feel that it is a solid mock. 4 picks I really like (Poe, Jackson, Jackson and Garner), 1 that I can take or leave (Rainey), and 2 that I dislike (Streeter, Miller).
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 11,855
Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Simply put I like it.

The only questionable pick I see is Streeter.

However he has as much god given talent as any WR in this draft.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

From what I've read and seen streeter is a very good red zone guy because 1) he is good at simply beating his man for the ball 2) he is good working against zone coverage.

Also listening to kubiak I'm not sure jacoby gets cut. I think streeter is would be a good coompliment to what we have. Jacioby or no jacoby.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Gonna be honest, not a fan. Lots of 'potential' picks here, especially early.
I here you and I thought about that.

I think we are at a point though where we don't have to target starters...Hell, even last year Watt was the only starter out of the gate...

I think we can take some calculated risks with some prospects that have the potential to be great players. If you just hit on one or two of these guys and they live up to their potential it changes this team into a super power.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,674
Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
1) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

I think Wright will be on the board. I think it's a stretch for 4 WR's to be picked before our pick and I think that some team could pick Alshon ahead of Wright. My only concern is Cleveland taking RG3 and then wanting Wright with their next pick. I like Wright a lot and I've made that known. If I were the Texans I'd trade up a few spots to grab him, so either way I'm mocking him with our first.

2) Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Coming off of an injury and I think he'll fall. If he was healthy I think he would be a first round pick. High energy, high motor guy similar to JJ Watt. I think Crick gives us more flexibility and more insurance on the D-Line. I think he could also play over the center some if necessary. I think this would be a high value pick up. The guy is a really good football player.



3) Isiah Pead, RB, Cincy
Pead is perfect for our scheme. He ran a variation of it in college and is already a one cut/cutback runner. Good vision, Really good balance, really good speed. He is also a pretty good pass protector. He also can compete for kick-off return duties.

4) Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina
Big Athletic guy. Transferred to Regina from LSU. Has tons of potential and talent. I think this is a good situation for him and with Collar and Wade we could have a beast on our hands. 6'5" 324 lbs and moves his frame very well.

5) Chris Rainey, RB, WR, Returner

Do it all guy with excellent athleticism and speed. Will likely run in the mid to low 4.3's. Soft hands, can play the slot. Some comparisons to Percy Harvin as far as potential and ability. This would give Kubiak even more toys to play with. I would think of him as a more polished Trindon Holiday. Taking Rainey is like taking a WR, RB, and KR all in one because he is pretty good at all of them.


6) Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly

Played RB in highschool. Good toughness, excellent ball skills, returner ability. I think he wil lbe available here as there are a bunch of corners in this draft and there are quite a few ranked above him. I think the fact that he is coming out of a small school and isn't the biggest guy will hurt him some.


7) Tyler Nielsen, LB, Iowa

Smart, tough, hardworking and athletic. Perfect fit for our defense. Would probably play ILB in our defense, but should make an immediate impact on special teams.



Overview:

Offensive Line is missing from this mock. I don't know if this is how it will be in actuality, but I didn't take a linemen because of the depth that we currently have at the position. Caldwell had some mistakes this year, but I think he is good depth. Shelley Smith is good depth. I liked the little I saw from Newton during the season when they brought him in on short yardage plays as a TE or Tackle Over.

I took Crick because I think he is good value in the second round. I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about him, but he is a really good player. that would be a boost to our rotation and allow guys to stay fresh while not losing much in terms of defensive ability. He would also be good insurance if anyone happened to get hurt. I also like his versatility to be able to play inside some if needed.

I think for the most part we only had 5 DL last season. I took Hicks and again, I think he provides good value for the selection. I think he'd immediately push for playing time.

I like Rainey a lot and he's a guy that I'd look to take regardless (kind of like how I feel about Kendall Wright). I think he would be an excellent addition to the offense and special teams.

Asa Jackson is also the DB I would target. Again, I took a guy who can double as a returner. I don't want to see Manning taking every rep on kickoffs and I don't want to see Jacoby taking any reps anywhere. (He should be cut and I think this mock allows us to do so).

Annnnndddd...that's pretty much it...
Yeah, i love picks 2 and 5 but can't say i'd be thrilled with kendall wright as our #1. I'm just not sold on the kid. It's not even about his 40 time with me to be honest; i had reservations about him before the combine.

After sitting & watching Briles' offense for years at UH & now Sumlin's the thing that sticks out to me about all spread offenses is that all of their WR's look great.....in that type of offense. most of them don't see very much press coverage (which they struggle with in the NFL) & they get free releases...the same is true for Wright. i don't think he could be a #1 go to guy in the future & imo WR's that are picked in the 1st have to be guys that can be future #1 WR's. The only time i make an exception for spread offense WR's is if they are big fast guys........Dez Bryant-esque. Wright's smallish & now this thing about his 40 time..i don't think he's worth the risk....even at 26 imo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Yeah, i love picks 2 and 5 but can't say i'd be thrilled with kendall wright as our #1. I'm just not sold on the kid. It's not even about his 40 time with me to be honest; i had reservations about him before the combine.

After sitting & watching Briles' offense for years at UH & now Sumlin's the thing that sticks out to me about all spread offenses is that all of their WR's look great.....in that type of offense. most of them don't see very much press coverage (which they struggle with in the NFL) & they get free releases...the same is true for Wright. i don't think he could be a #1 go to guy in the future & imo WR's that are picked in the 1st have to be guys that can be future #1 WR's. The only time i make an exception for spread offense WR's is if they are big fast guys........Dez Bryant-esque. Wright's smallish & now this thing about his 40 time..i don't think he's worth the risk....even at 26 imo.

What do you think of the new one in post #9?

I really like Kendall Wright, but he does have some refining to do to his game...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Miller is not a good pick to me. A 6'8" guy is just too tall for an interior lineman. All the QBs would need to be 6'3"+ to be able to see and throw comfortably over him.

Well I think our QB's tend to be taller than 6'3"...

But besides that, this in't the traditional offense where the QB is throwing out of the pocket all of the time...A lot of the throws come of some kind of play action or bootleg so it's not like the O linemen are really directly in front of the QB...

I do get what you are saying, but at the same time it's one guy...It's not like you have three 6'8" guys standing in front of the QB...

I think that we could manage if he had to see anytime...If we even picked him up...

JMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,674
Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What do you think of the new one in post #9?

I really like Kendall Wright, but he does have some refining to do to his game...
way too much risk with either of those 2 guys too. regarding Poe.. i just think high motor guys are high motor guys & that kind of stuff doesn't rub off on others.. Most guys who have high motors have them b/c they've had to make up any deficit they've had talent wise. That's not the case with Poe. We dealt with a similar type of thing with Frank Okam a few years back. & although there was little to no risk with Okam, they'll be tons of it with Poe. Aside from that, Cody & Mitchell did well for us last year, don't see why we would have to upset that.

As far as Streeter, yeah i see the potential but i don't think he could contribute right away b/c of his rawness. Honestly, the guy doesn't look like a football player to me...just a flyer that you call a couple of deep shots to a game & hope for the best....I'm thinking like Torrey Smith for Balt. Not a guy i would invest a #1 in unless i have a top 5 qb who can make this guy look like a monster until he reaches his potential. He could stand to eat a couple of ham sandwhiches too. I'm afraid that if we pick him, we'd wind up in the same boat that we're in now with JJ...a few flashes here & there, but not enough progress to warrant keeping him around.

I just think that we're at a point as a team that our big picks need to be safe & our risk should be limited. If Rueben Randle Nick Toon or Konz is there at 26...i don't think we can pass either of those guys up.

Last edited by Mr teX; 02-28-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

I'm feeling Mockalicious right now....

Here's another with a trade back:

Tannehill may be on the board and Washington probably won't get RG3 nor Luck. They may want to trade back up into the first to and grab Tannehill...

So I'd trade them our pick for their 2nd, 3rd and next years 5th.



2) Rueben Randle, WR

2) Tommy Streeter, WR

3) Janzen Jackson, FS

3) Mike Martin, NT

4) Chris Rainey, RB, Slot, Returner

5) Ryan Miller, OG

6) Asa Jackson , CB

7) Grant Garner , C
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,012
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Late Morning Mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
way too much risk with either of those 2 guys too. regarding Poe.. i just think high motor guys are high motor guys & that kind of stuff doesn't rub off on others.. Most guys who have high motors have them b/c they've had to make up any deficit they've had talent wise. That's not the case with Poe. We dealt with a similar type of thing with Frank Okam a few years back. & although there was little to no risk with Okam, they'll be tons of it with Poe. Aside from that, Cody & Mitchell did well for us last year, don't see why we would have to upset that.

As far as Streeter, yeah i see the potential but i don't think he could contribute right away b/c of his rawness. Honestly, the guy doesn't look like a football player to me...just a flyer that you call a couple of deep shots to a game & hope for the best....I'm thinking like Torrey Smith for Balt. Not a guy i would invest a #1 in unless i have a top 5 qb who can make this guy look like a monster until he reaches his potential. He could stand to eat a couple of ham sandwhiches too. I'm afraid that if we pick him, we'd wind up in the same boat that we're in now with JJ...a few flashes here & there, but not enough progress to warrant keeping him around.

I just think that we're at a point as a team that our big picks need to be safe & our risk should be limited. If Rueben Randle Nick Toon or Konz is there at 26...i don't think we can pass either of those guys up.
You don't see Toon or Randle as risks?
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger