Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-26-2012   #21
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 52238 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Sometime, even so call experts miss evaluate prospects. So, you never know Hill maybe a legit late 1st rd pick.

Go Texans!!!
I'm not a UT fan. I watch a lot of Big 12 and ACC games though, I've seen 4 Georgia Tech games this year. Yes, he's dropped almost 40% of what he's caught. And he drops them in wide open situations. He's a Jacoby Jones. He is. Don't believe me? Earmark this thread with a potential big bowl of crow. **** I'll eat 100 bowls of it if he makes it, but he's nothing and will turnout to be nothing other than a speedy dropster. He fears contact and can't make the marquee catches a WR should (gasp, who do we have that does that?).

Nate
Old 02-26-2012   #22
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 52238 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Nate, have you actually seen Hill play one game? Ever? How do you know how many passes he has or hasn't dropped?
Yes I've watched 4 games Hill has played. Don't want him, not even a hint of big time playmaking ability. Get outta my draft Hill. Drops everything in wide open coverage, minimal route skills, won't be ish in the NFL. Mark it zero dude, mark it zero.
Old 02-26-2012   #23
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

by smaller i went not a major program. obviously its a bigger program then lane college
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He looks pretty good in one portion of the drills that I saw.
He was attacking the ball really well.
i've got a bunch of game tapes on him; I guess I'll start pulling them out.
Yes, please do.

Knock is he never ran/learned a route tree -- just streaks/slants. And he can't separate off the line, had some drops. How long will his learning curve be???
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #25
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
by smaller i went not a major program. obviously its a bigger program then lane college
How major do you need? GT is an ACC school a conference we have done quite well drafting from.
Old 02-26-2012   #26
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I'm not a UT fan. I watch a lot of Big 12 and ACC games though, I've seen 4 Georgia Tech games this year. Yes, he's dropped almost 40% of what he's caught. And he drops them in wide open situations. He's a Jacoby Jones. He is. Don't believe me? Earmark this thread with a potential big bowl of crow. **** I'll eat 100 bowls of it if he makes it, but he's nothing and will turnout to be nothing other than a speedy dropster. He fears contact and can't make the marquee catches a WR should (gasp, who do we have that does that?).

Nate
When dealing with a player like Jacoby, we tend to focus more of hands issue than anything which is a natural reaction. I said many times before that I aint an expert and just fan of the Texans. From my eyes, guy that is 6'4" with 4.3 range speed is just insane. I am very intrigued by Hill and Streeter 6'5" with speed. They are both vertical and red zone threat to me.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
...Streeter 6'5" with speed. They are both vertical and red zone threat to me.

Go Texans!!!
Streeter looked awful to me -- wouldn't touch him.
Old 02-26-2012   #28
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Streeter looked awful to me -- wouldn't touch him.
On the contrary, I wouldn't mind us invest in him to develop as our future #1 or #2 WR and should help us some in red zone as a rook. But I do respect your guys comment since I believe your guys have better eyes for the talent. And, my eyes are too small to see a whole picture lol.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Too bad they don't make youtube videos of drops or he would have his own library.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #30
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Too bad they don't make youtube videos of drops or he would have his own library.
He'd probably have 48 videos. There are 100 Al Davis' in this thread right meow.
Old 02-27-2012   #31
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nate, have you actually seen Hill play one game? Ever? How do you know how many passes he has or hasn't dropped?
I can't speak for Nate, but being an ACC guy I have seen Hill play many times.

His strength is his blocking and explosiveness. He does have a knack for dropping balls and/or not in sync with his quarterback. He is extremely limited in his knowledge of routes and his ability to read the holes in zones. I'm not saying he can't do those things, only that he has limited experience in doing so. We are talking about what 48 or 49 career catches at GTech.

A guy like Stephen Hill is a project on the Texans, and I wouldn't take him with our first round selection. I am hoping the Texans can get an outside or slot receiver in this draft that can contribute in the 2012 season.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #32
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

A buddy of mine who does a great job with the draft has been talking this guy up for a month. He's very similar to thomas. Thing is, who can get the ball to him?
Old 02-27-2012   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
A buddy of mine who does a great job with the draft has been talking this guy up for a month. He's very similar to thomas. Thing is, who can get the ball to him?
Good point, but a good problem to have.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Watched 2 Stephen Hill games last night (UNC, CLEM). Baller. Stands out as best player on field when involved. Way better RAC than expected.
Hill catches everything w/ his hands. Growing up to do but freak length, catch radius, speed, high effort. Plays fast. 1st rd within reach.
Old 02-27-2012   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Watched 2 Stephen Hill games last night (UNC, CLEM). Baller. Stands out as best player on field when involved. Way better RAC than expected.
Hill catches everything w/ his hands. Growing up to do but freak length, catch radius, speed, high effort. Plays fast. 1st rd within reach.
I guess nastynate missed a couple games? All I know is what I watched. Everything as stated by Silva look true to me. Add clean bill of health, no off field issues, high character kid, not a diva type willing to block & work within team concept, #26 isn't out of the question.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-27-2012   #36
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ironic that most of the guys here have been bashing Jacoby Jones for years and they want to take a similar project with our 1st round pick. Hill was a mid round prospect before the combine (and that's taking potential into account beforehand). Anyone who was familiar with him before this weekend knew he was going to run fast.

We don't need another project WR right now. Grab a solid guy in the 1st or 2nd because that's what we need. We don't need 2 Jacoby Jones' running around out there.

If WR is as big a need as many on this board say it is, then why would you waste your top pick on a project player who will not contribute early in his career.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

It's just plain silliness to compare Hill with Jones.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-27-2012   #38
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
from the combine web site.

WEAKNESSES Hill's value is based purely off his ability as a deep threat. He has average quickness and moves off the line of scrimmage to avoid a jam. He ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech that didn't allow him to showcase many skills. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. He dropped as many big balls as he made big plays; his YPC stat defines him perfectly as a player who is capable of making flash plays but isn't reliable.

The forty time is impressive but the body of work in college is not. There is major risk in taking this type player. has alot of the same qualities that JJ had coming out. Is a high risk, high reward type that would not touch until the 3rd round.
This, this, this.

As a Georgia Tech fan I have seen a bunch of Hill. He has no problem getting downfield and has the size you'd love. But, he simply cannot catch the ball.

He's the quintessential workout warrior who will be overdrafted because of his combine numbers and will bust in the NFL.

I would not touch him with a 10-foot pole.
Old 02-27-2012   #39
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It's just plain silliness to compare Hill with Jones.
Why is that? They are/were both projects. That was the comparison.

We don't need to waste another 1st round pick on a project player at a position of need (Okoye). If WR is truly a need then pass on the 'sexier' prospect and take the solid guy who can contribute to the team. Guys like Floyd, Sanu, McNutt, etc. can contribute now.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #40
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've seen more of him than anyone here, and way more than the 4 Evan Silva watched. Granted, I don't get paid to evaluate NFL talent, but I can tell you as a fan of the team that Hill has played on, he has broken my heart with blatant drops in the wide open field more times than I can count.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read