Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-25-2012   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I agree with what Vinny said. McClain has contacts that sometimes provides him with insightful information.

I don't read McClain until it is posted on this website, so I don't understand the constant vitrol spewed at the man.

He's JAG....
McLain has NFL contacts. When the Texans started he wasn't the Texans reporter he was the NFL reporter for the Chronicle. It seemed Casserly was one of those guys who would talk to him. Then he got assigned to the Texans instead of the NFL at large. That really seemed to piss him off as he couldn't fly to any game any time he wanted. Then Kubiak and Smith came in and they do not appear to be on his contact list. Since then there has been a notable absence of "a source with the Texans" attributions in his articles. He has never been an x's and o's kind of guy. I don't dislike him at all but I think he has jack insight to the current Texans organization and at this point his opinion is little if any more meaningful than many fan's.
Old 02-25-2012   #42
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I agree with what Vinny said. McClain has contacts that sometimes provides him with insightful information.

I don't read McClain until it is posted on this website, so I don't understand the constant vitrol spewed at the man.

He's JAG....
I think the biggest probelm for Houston football fans is that JAG is the centerpiece of the teams coverage. While the Cowboys' coverage up here is sickening, there are two newspapers with multiple guys who are better than McCalin.

Does help that McClain is a bit arrogant about the little more he knows that the rank and file fan.
Old 02-25-2012   #43
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans should draft BPA in every single round of the draft, regardless of position. Anything different is sheer stupidity.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The Texans should draft BPA in every single round of the draft, regardless of position. Anything different is sheer stupidity.
Rick Smith agrees with you...
link
Quote:
(on if he will draft with the best-player-available approach) “We always do. We stay true to our board and that’s not a philosophy that we’re going to alter because I think it gives you the best chance to have success. If you assess value and you follow the value of your board and don’t stretch for need, because I think that’s where people make mistakes. We’ve not done that before and I would suspect that we stay true to that philosophy and not do that in the future.”
...although he was a bit more P.C.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye/KJ were BPA? LOL

As I said in another thread in a different way. Rick Smith is a terrible liar. Who is BOB's yes man.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #46
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do we have this exact discussion every year?

All GMs say some version of "we follow our board" or "we always take the best player available." This isn't rick smith speak per se...it is NFL GM speak.

Reality is that it is never blind BPA versus blind need for any team. It is mix.

Obviously, if you have paid attention to draft of the Texans, especially in the 1st 3 rounds or so, they weigh need heavily. Later in the draft, we will see the TJ Yates obvious BPA stuff.
Old 02-26-2012   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Why do we have this exact discussion every year?

All GMs say some version of "we follow our board" or "we always take the best player available." This isn't rick smith speak per se...it is NFL GM speak.

Reality is that it is never blind BPA versus blind need for any team. It is mix.
Pissing in the wind.
Old 02-26-2012   #48
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Two things I'm sick of hearing.

1.) We are going to draft a wide receiver in the first round.

Really? This is what the majority of the fans and the media thinks. Yet I haven't seen a single quote or heard a single sound bite from someone inside the organization say this. Walter is a coaches favorite and JJ just signed a new contract last year. I don't think Smithiack views WR as big a need as everyone else.

2.) If Williams leaves, they’ll need an outside linebacker in the first two rounds.

Why? Why in the first two rounds? We have our starters.
Does this count...

Quote:
Randle could be a fit for Texans at 26

By Paul Kuharsky

INDIANAPOLIS -- While still backing Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones, Texans coach Gary Kubiak conceded this week the Texans are looking for a wide receiver.

wide receiver Rueben Randle could be of interest to the Texans at No. 26.
One draft prospect who looks like a nice fit to play with, and eventually succeed, Andre Johnson is LSU’s Rueben Randle.

At just under 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, he’s a nice combination of size, strength and speed. He’s a willing blocker which also makes him a potential fit for Houston, which drafts 26th in the first round.

“I try to model myself after Calvin Johnson, he’s a big body receiver," Randle said. “He makes a lot of plays deep down the field and also yards after the catch. I try to model myself in that kind of way.”

Johnson’s also been on Randle’s radar.

“You’ve got no choice but to look at him," Randle said. “He makes plays each and every Sunday whether it’s two guys on him, three he just goes and makes plays on the ball and the quarterback trusts him. That’s the kind of thing I’m trying to build with the quarterbacks I play with.

“…That’d be great (to play with him). I’m pretty sure he’s going to get a lot of attention, that would free me up a little bit so it wouldn’t be much of a struggle for me. It’d be great to play with a great receiver like Andre Johnson, I’d just look forward to that.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...r-texans-at-26

As much as you're sick of hearing about the Texans taking a wide receiver in the first round... it doesn't change the fact that will be what they will most likely do.. It's the biggest need on this team and even if they don't spend a first round pick on a WR... you can be assured that their 2nd round pick will be spent on a WR. This is a very good WR draft and they're going to get one early.

As far as BPA goes... No G.M. really takes the BPA approach.. all G.M.s draft for team needs. I wish they'd just come out and say "they draft the BPA at their positions of need". So like Arlington said above... this isn't a Rick Smith or Gary issue, it's what every G.M. does and that's the reason why J.J. Watt is on this team. They had Aldon Smith rated higher, but when he was gone they took the next best available front 7 player. It really wasn't about getting just a OLBer, but a player who could dominate in the front 7. They then took the next best available OLBer with their 2nd round pick which rounded out their front 7 needs.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 02-26-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #49
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Does this count...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...r-texans-at-26

As much as you're sick of hearing about the Texans taking a wide receiver in the first round... it doesn't change the fact that will be what they most likely will do.. It's the biggest need on this team and even if they don't spend a first round pick on a WR... you can be assured that their 2nd round pick will be spent on a WR. This is a very good WR draft and they're going to get one early.

As far as BPA goes... No G.M. really takes the BPA approach.. all G.M.s draft for team needs. I wish they'd just come out and say "they draft the BPA at their positions of need". So like Arlington said above... this isn't a Rick Smith or Gary issue, it's what every G.M. does and that's the reason why J.J. Watt is on this team. They had Aldon Smith rated higher, but when he was gone they took the next best available front 7 player. It really wasn't about getting just a OLBer, but a player who could dominate in the front 7. They then took the next best available OLBer with their 2nd round pick which rounded out their front 7 needs.
This one of those homerun situations Smith was talking about. It wouldn't really be a stretch at all to take Randle at 26 and it would fill a big need. He could be BPA at his position and high on Smithiaks draft board. BTW, I'm not sick of the WR thing. I wouldn't get my feelings hurt if the Texans drafted an OLB at 26, either.
Old 02-26-2012   #50
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This one of those homerun situations Smith was talking about. It wouldn't really be a stretch at all to take Randle at 26 and it would fill a big need. He could be BPA at his position and high on Smithiaks draft board. BTW, I'm not sick of the WR thing. I wouldn't get my feelings hurt if the Texans drafted an OLB at 26, either.

I would definitely welcome Rueben Randle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qTJkl-4s2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXexXpY6Gb8

It's about time we add a real WR prospect to this team... One who played in a big conference, played in big games, and is not some small school project who's trying to play the position. We need to add a legit prospect who can learn the ropes under Andre while Dre still has some good years left and we need a prospect who can step into Andre's place as the #1 wideout when Andre starts to tail off into more of a #2 role. WR is a HUGE need for this team and this Randle kid looks legit. He has size, speed, and looks like he has good run after the catch (YAC) ability. I hope Paul Kuharsky is correct.
Old 02-26-2012   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Hill just put himself into the conversation after today's combine performance. Underclassman, primarily a blocking WR with size 6-4 & blazing speed 4.30, 4.31 hand timed 4.36 electronic in forty. Runs through the whistle, good effort guy who's running style reminds me a little of Usain Bolt. Paired with Andre he would change how teams game plan against the Texans adding a new dimension to the offense.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #52
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I sent two mock drafts with us taking a COG. Nose tackle
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #53
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think Hill just put himself into the conversation after today's combine performance. Underclassman, primarily a blocking WR with size 6-4 & blazing speed 4.30, 4.31 hand timed 4.36 electronic in forty. Runs through the whistle, good effort guy who's running style reminds me a little of Usain Bolt. Paired with Andre he would change how teams game plan against the Texans adding a new dimension to the offense.
Where do you see him being drafted? According to everything on him, he'll likely be a project. I like the size and speed, but can he be a productive WR in the NFL? round 3 or 4?
Old 02-26-2012   #54
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where do you see him being drafted? According to everything on him, he'll likely be a project. I like the size and speed, but can he be a productive WR in the NFL? round 3 or 4?
It's so hard. Know this, Texan scouting department has probably already wrote a small book covering his positives & negatives. In the end it's how well a prospect fits a team needs, specific skill-set, character & background checks. Wish I could honestly answer your question, my best guess is after today, if everything adds up as believed, Stephen Hill will be drafted no later than 2nd rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-26-2012   #55
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's so hard. Know this, Texan scouting department has probably already wrote a small book covering his positives & negatives. In the end it's how well a prospect fits a team needs, specific skill-set, character & background checks. Wish I could honestly answer your question, my best guess is after today, if everything adds up as believed, Stephen Hill will be drafted no later than 2nd rd.
I hope he's around for our 2nd round pick, if that's the case. I would hate to see the Texans reach on a project in the 1st round. It didn;t work out so well the last time they did that.
Old 02-26-2012   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

There will be have to be something that triggers a decision like this. Combine will soon pass & scouting departments will be reviewing tons of tape while the front office & director of Pro Scouting prepare for free agency. If Texans cannot come to terms with Mario Williams, best believe they address WR position with a notable free agent, thus lessoning need come draft day. Then more than ever someone like Hill would make an excellent 2nd rd. Choice.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-26-2012   #57
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...who's running style reminds me a little of Usain Bolt.
That's what I was thinking, watching Hill run. Effortless.

Hill long jumped 25'8-3/4" as a high school senior, still the state record. He also won the state 300M hurdles.
Old 02-26-2012   #58
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope he's around for our 2nd round pick, if that's the case. I would hate to see the Texans reach on a project in the 1st round. It didn;t work out so well the last time they did that.
No way we take a WR in the first.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #59
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's what I was thinking, watching Hill run. Effortless.

Hill long jumped 25'8-3/4" as a high school senior, still the state record. He also won the state 300M hurdles.
That's a world class athlete.

I knew he was going to run well but not blow away the field good.

Rd1. Hill/Randle

If the Texans dont draft Hill, the Pats will.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #60
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
No way we take a WR in the first.
Care to offer a argument as to why it's out of the question, instead of some one sentence snibbit? Because there is a "way" we take a WR in the first round...in fact it's a BIG way and a very logical assumption.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read