Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-26-2012   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Quotes from Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I like the part where he talked about character concerns..That is encouraging as there are a couple guys that I want them to look at with some blemishes..

Do your homework Rick!!
Janzen Jackson?

Me too
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #22
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rick is the gm.

Going 3 for 5 on 1st rd picks= Fail

Letting Bush talk you into picking KJ when you played CB in college and you are the GM should be a firable offense.Does Rick spend time watching tape like Jerry Reese does? Or does Rick spend most of his time smoozing with BoB and the competition like Casserly spent with his NFL office buddies?

KJ wasn't BPA if you include the offensive and defensive side of the ball.
steelb,

You know as well as everyone else that there's got to be some discretion employed here (read HC GM speak). All teams publicly state they're going to draft BPA when in fact what they really mean is BPA (in their opinion) at our position of NEED. No ism involved here but the proof is in the puddin'. The roster says they've done a pretty good job.

They won the AFC South. By default I guess. No #18, soft schedule, yada, yada.

Had they went on to win the SB there would still be those here that could & would find fault whether it be imagined or made up.

I *thought* I read one, perhaps two positive statements you made about the team this past season, but then, maybe not.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #23
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Because Wade has a long history of drafting good to great players?

No, because Rick has a long history of making more mistakes than successes, and because Wade was the new catalyst last year and they gave him the defense and the final say in the defensive draft picks.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Rick is the gm.

Letting Bush talk you into picking KJ

Rick spend most of his time smoozing with BoB and the competition committee

Rick is a teflon man.

But he's not very good at his job as GM.

Which should be aquiring the best talent possible for the Texans. Just let Wade/Gary do his job and be done with it. But dont sit there and tell me your taking the BPA. When you're actually taking whoever Wade/Gary are telling you to take. (It's offensive) Look, Rick you've got a good place in life, dont over play your hand.

If you weren't sitting on your ass for most of your life drinking away your brain cells, you could be running your own NFL team.

Don't like it when people judge you making off the wall assumptions do you?

(I don't really think you were sitting on your ass drinking your brain cells away, I posted that to make a point.. no offense intended.)
Old 02-26-2012   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
steelb,

You know as well as everyone else that there's got to be some discretion employed here (read HC GM speak). All teams publicly state they're going to draft BPA when in fact what they really mean is BPA (in their opinion) at our position of NEED. No ism involved here but the proof is in the puddin'. The roster says they've done a pretty good job.

Had they went on to win the SB there would still be those here that could & would find fault whether it be imagined or made up.

I *thought* I read one, perhaps two positive statements you made about the team this past season, but then, maybe not.
Repped.

BPA means BPA at whatever position we want to select with a particular pick.

The whole "BPA" thing is so funny, IMO.
Old 02-26-2012   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When has Wade ever gotten the chance to draft his own players?

Denver? no

Buffalo? No, John Butler
Dallass? No, Jerrah

Last yr is the 1st time in Wades career that he got to call the shots on draft. The results ended up fantastic.
How do you know he wasn't drafting his own players in Denver, Buffalo, or Dallas?

& what makes you think he drafted his own players in Houston?
Old 02-26-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
No, because Rick has a long history of making more mistakes than successes, and because Wade was the new catalyst last year and they gave him the defense and the final say in the defensive draft picks.
FYI, that's just speculation.

Another thing, in the last three years, our defense "averages" out to be pretty darn good. Going from worst to first from 2010 to 2011 is remarkable indeed... unless you take into account where we were in 2009.

10th against the run, & improving across the board at the end of the season.

We lost half of our DL rotation before the end of our first game in 2010 (Bullman in the preseason & Barwin week 1). We only had one game all season when we started all three of our starting LBs (Cushing, Demeco, Diles)..... & Eugene Wilson obviously lost a step.

& while I didn't think much of Dunta Robinson's on field ability, starting a rookie & approaching the game with what appeared to be a "protect the rookie" philosophy didn't help.

Not taking anything away from Wade, I'd much rather Wade Phillips than Frank Bush..... but we also gave Wade Jj Watt (in place of Amobi Okoye), Conor Barwin, Cushing, and Jonathan Joseph & Danieal Manning (I'm sure those were Wade's idea as well right?)...

Look, the defense stayed healthy through 2009, they had a good year. Didn't stay healthy through 2010... didn't look good. Stayed healthy (mostly) through 2011... they looked good. Football Outsiders called it before the 2010 season (6 wins, because of defensive injuries).

Last edited by thunderkyss; 02-26-2012 at 12:09 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& what makes you think he drafted his own players in Houston?
It has been reported that Wade gave Smith a list of players he wanted. And Smith got 5 of them.
Old 02-26-2012   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick is the gm.

Letting Bush talk you into picking KJ when you played CB in college and you are the GM should be a firable offense.Does Rick spend time watching tape like Jerry Reese does? Or does Rick spend most of his time smoozing with BoB and the competition like Casserly spent with his NFL office buddies?

Batting .600 is excellent in any league. Unless you can name a GM that bats 1.000 you're talking out of your hat. Please... show me a GM that has hit on EVERY 1st round pick he ever selected. Or just show me one that's hit on better than 3 out of 5 of his first round picks over a five year period.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #30
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Rick Smith has not proven to be a good judge of potential NFL talent. As GM of the Texans, his overall record of drafting defensive backs has been surprisingly poor, especially since he was a DB himself at Purdue. To be fair, the credit for the success of last year's draft of Watt, Reed and other defensive players goes to Wade.
I've never put that together until I read your post, he really has a surprisingly poor read on the very position he played. Bennett, Molden, Barber, KJ is still batting but has a few strikes, McMannis, McCain, Quin, Harris, Carmichael and Keo. Kind of a hot mess when 1 out of 10 picks turned into a decent player.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #31
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Batting .600 is excellent in any league. Unless you can name a GM that bats 1.000 you're talking out of your hat. Please... show me a GM that has hit on EVERY 1st round pick he ever selected. Or just show me one that's hit on better than 3 out of 5 of his first round picks over a five year period.
Probably could just list off a few of the recent SB winners. Packers, Giants, Steelers, so on. I'm not saying you're wrong, as far as 1st rounders go .600 isn't bad but there are teams that do better.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It has been reported that Wade gave Smith a list of players he wanted. And Smith got 5 of them.
I would think that is the job of the GM. Get the need list (i.e., the type of players they need for their scheme) from the coaches, input from the scouting staff on who best fills those needs, and make the moves necessary to snag as many of the guys on the shopping list as possible. And as a bonus, make draft day trades that result in extra picks. Once those picks are made, get the rookies signed up in time for camp.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
steelb,

I've made many positive statements.

Gary bringing along Yates was genius

Wade building a championship quality defense. Getting his guys to buy in.

Gary improving his gameday use of timeouts/challenges. etc....

But I get offended when Rick steps up to the podium and says the Texans always select the BPA. That's a lie. Rick is blowing smoke up his fabase a**l.
Old 02-26-2012   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

If you weren't sitting on your ass for most of your life drinking away your brain cells, you could be running your own NFL team.

Don't like it when people judge you making off the wall assumptions do you?

(I don't really think you were sitting on your ass drinking your brain cells away, I posted that to make a point.. no offense intended.)
Point taken

And you happen to be wrong and slightly offensive.
Old 02-26-2012   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
FYI, that's just speculation.

Another thing, in the last three years, our defense "averages" out to be pretty darn good. Going from worst to first from 2010 to 2011 is remarkable indeed... unless you take into account where we were in 2009.

10th against the run, & improving across the board at the end of the season.

We lost half of our DL rotation before the end of our first game in 2011 (Bullman in the preseason & Barwin week 1). We only had one game all season when we started all three of our starting LBs (Cushing, Demeco, Diles)..... & Eugene Wilson obviously lost a step.

& while I didn't think much of Dunta Robinson's on field ability, starting a rookie & approaching the game with what appeared to be a "protect the rookie" philosophy didn't help.

Not taking anything away from Wade, I'd much rather Wade Phillips than Frank Bush..... but we also gave Wade Jj Watt (in place of Amobi Okoye), Conor Barwin, Cushing, and Jonathan Joseph & Danieal Manning (I'm sure those were Wade's idea as well right?)...

Look, the defense stayed healthy through 2009, they had a good year. Didn't stay healthy through 2010... didn't look good. Stayed healthy (mostly) through 2011... they looked good. Football Outsiders called it before the 2010 season (6 wins, because of defensive injuries).
You're right it is speculation. This is what MB's are made for.

History should tell you BoB turned to Wade to rebuild the defense thru the draft and FA.

The question should be is there a correlation between BoB spending the $$$$ in FA to build the defense and putting a winning product on the field and will BoB be willing to spend the $$$$ in FA again?

I know this is just speculation but the MW situation will be a sign. If he lets MW walk and doesn't spend the $$$$ in FA you will know BoB has reverted to his old ways. Either that or just re-sign MW. Which I am on the fence with. Pending speculation on MW's contract demands.
Old 02-26-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I know this is just speculation but the MW situation will be a sign. If he lets MW walk and doesn't spend the $$$$ in FA you will know BoB has reverted to his old ways. Either that or just re-sign MW. Which I am on the fence with. Pending speculation on MW's contract demands.
We've been pretty active in FA since 2002 & spending the money has never been an issue. Look at all of Casserly's signings, we over paid for marginal talent. He did the same with Weaver in 2006.

Smith has been a lot better with his FA signings, with guys like Antonio Smith, Wade Smith, Joel Dressen, etc.. (Casserly did get us Walters)..... & those guys (Smith & Smith) got some serious money.

He doesn't have a good history of bringing in star FA, & the Texans have not wanted to overpay FAs just to get them to come here. I'm fine with that & I'm fine if we elect not to over-pay Mario Williams.

Bob is not cheap. Bob has never been cheap. Look at the quality of players we have on the roster now, & we spent $119M last year... Who was getting paid? Jjo (worth it) Andre (worth it) Mario (Lent)... who else was getting mad jack that was worth it?
Old 02-26-2012   #37
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Players Rick Smith has brought in since he's been GM.

1. Matt Schaub(Top 8 QB)
2. Arian Foster( Top 2 RB)
3. Duane Brown( Top 3 LT)
4. Brian Cushing( Top 2 MLB)
5. Connor Barwin( Top 5 OLB)
6. Johnathan Joseph( Top 3 CB)
7. Glover Quinn
8. Wade Smith
9. Daniel Manning
10. Brooks Reed
11. JJ Watt(Top 3 3-4 DE)

Not only is our roster the most talented the Texans have ever had but its one of the best rosters in the NFL. All of this has been brought in under Ricks watch. Has his missed absolutely, but the talent of the team speaks for itself.

All GM's listen to their coaches for draft input. Richard Smith was in love with Okoye, David Gibbs loved Jacksons toughness and technique.. As the final decision maker Rick Smith gets credit and blame for all picks done under his watch.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Players Rick Smith has brought in since he's been GM.

1. Matt Schaub(Top 8 QB)
2. Arian Foster( Top 2 RB)
3. Duane Brown( Top 3 LT)
4. Brian Cushing( Top 2 MLB)
5. Connor Barwin( Top 5 OLB)
6. Johnathan Joseph( Top 3 CB)
7. Glover Quinn
8. Wade Smith
9. Daniel Manning
10. Brooks Reed
11. JJ Watt(Top 3 3-4 DE)
Half of our members think we're favorites for next year's Super Bowl.

Other notable additions thanks to Rick Smith
  1. Kevin Walter
  2. Ben Tate
  3. Antonio Smith
  4. Chris Myers
  5. Jason Allen
Old 02-26-2012   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This is where we disagree, I can point out 1st rd teams that have done better. I look at drafts as a whole though. 75/80% should be a GM who's doing an above avg jobs hit rate on 1st rd picks.

Packers,49ers (Hiring Harbaugh) Giants, Lions (Mayhew) Ravens, Pats,Bengals off the top of my head.
Old 02-26-2012   #40
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Half of our members think we're favorites for next year's Super Bowl.

Other notable additions thanks to Rick Smith
  1. Kevin Walter
  2. Ben Tate
  3. Antonio Smith
  4. Chris Myers
  5. Jason Allen
I think Kevin Walter was picked up the before Rick Smith, but the Chris Myers trade was one of the best ones we've ever made.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read