Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-17-2012   #21
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: kipers new mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I think Briesel is much more likely to leave than Myers. He could play in a power or zone scheme. Myers is 293 lbs soaking wet. He is too light in anything but a ZBS.
Brisiel is listed at 300 lbs. Not exactly what I would call your everyday power OG.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #22
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
You should, might help!
Doubt it!

Quote:
Coples has great size but will need to improve technique, hence emphasis on his work ethic/consistency. His value should project to 15-20 not top 10.
Coples is considered the best pass rushing prospect in the draft. He dominated the senior bowl workouts. All the negatives you point out about him were the same things people were saying about Mario Williams when he was coming out. He easily could go top ten.

This guy seems to disagree with you Bl Top 32 he has him ranked #7 of the top 32 players in the draft.

Quote:
Mark Barron is not a first round pick.
You are right that he probably wont go in the first round but not because of a lack of talent. He will miss the combine because of a double-hernia surgery that held him out of the Senior Bowl. Still barring injury he was widely considered the best safety prospect in the draft and he graded out as a first round pick by many scouts.

Quote:
Kirkpatrick will need to play FS doesn't have fluid hips to play corner plus not overly fast. Again both reaches.
Depends on the system. There are many that he could fit right into and he is most likely gone top twenty @ CB! Want more proof he is a top twenty prospect? I know you are a big fan of this guy and read his stuff. LINK

Quote:
Reiff should not be a top 10 pick, RT's should not go this high.
Have you ever watched an actual draft? Maybe you should it might help! If you are talented enough (and Reiff is) and you play a position of need for a high picking team it doesn't matter the position is. People used to say that C's never go in the first round. They used to say G's don't go in the first round. Yet year after year they do.

On top of that he is rated top ten by most talent evaluators if you need proof look Bl Top 32This guy has him ranked eight overall.

Quote:
Those are just a sampling of nitpicks the Patriot picks are downright horrible as is the Texans pick.
The patriots are known for taking players that fit their system even though others think they are reaching. As far as the Texans pick goes, again this guy Bl Top 32 thinks Worthy is #28 of the top 32 players in the draft.

Quote:
Stay thirsty, my friend
Always my friend, always.

Last edited by mussop; 02-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Vinny Curry would be an OLB in our system, and I said he should be considered, not taken. It depends on how other things shake out in free agency. If we keep Myers, Brisiel and Foster, WR and OLB would be our top two positions of need. However, I expect Blackmon, Floyd and Wright to be off the board by 26, so I would rather spend that pick on a good OLB. That's all, it's just a bunch of IF statements
I'm sorry I meant OLB. I'm just used to calling Mario a DE. I understand all the IF statements and agree with all of them except that we should use our first pick on depth at OLB. We defiantly need to address it but not necessarily taht early IMO.

Quote:
As I said, each of those picks is dependent on free agency. If Myers leaves, we must take Konz to keep the o-line in tact. I belive Konz can easily come into our system and start week 1. Same with Decastro. If we lost both Myers and Brisiel, I would have a hard time picking between the two of those guys, but I think Decastro will be gone before Konz. Either way, I hope the Texans aren't forced to pick one of those two due to losses.
Agree 1000000%

Quote:
I agree with that, but consider all the conditions here. If we keep Myers, Brisiel, Foster (I think that's reasonable) and lose Mario, wouldn't OLB be one of our top needs? We don't have much behind Barwin and Reed, and we need depth there. I think it would come down to OLB and WR, but given the free agency class, I would expect the Texans to pick up a WR more so than an OLB. There is a lot of talent at WR free agency and I would prefer filling that need through free agency. Good WRs are easier to find in this second round than OLBs too, so if that's the case, I would prefer going with Curry at 26 and seeing who falls to 58. Rueben Randel, Dwight Jones, Alshon Jeffery, Tommy Streeter, Sanu, etc etc, any of them could be there.

I already responded to this in the first paragraph but will add, depth is depth. We don't really have very good depth on the interior OL, S, CB, ILB if we loose Dobbins, and we could stand to improve depth at DT and DE. Give me best player available at any of those positions for depth in this draft and we are improving our team. If we can find some young talent that is versatile enough to play more than one position that is a bonus.
Old 02-18-2012   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Have you ever watched an actual draft? Maybe you should it might help! If you are talented enough (and Reiff is) and you play a position of need for a high picking team it doesn't matter the position is. People used to say that C's never go in the first round. They used to say G's don't go in the first round. Yet year after year they do.
Now I know how McShay feels when Kiper goes postal & uses his own words to eat him

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

This guy seems to disagree with you Bl Top 32 he has him ranked #7 of the top 32 players in the draft.

That's cold blooded.
Old 02-20-2012   #26
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Not going to read all of the posts, but where is he supposed to play if we draft him? NT?
Old 02-20-2012   #27
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate Kiper...he's annoying as hell....This is the deepest draft at WR i can remember since we took AJ. We can't lose if we get 1 of the top 5 guys at the position imo. So if we don't take a WR in the 1st im going to be
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #28
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with that, but consider all the conditions here. If we keep Myers, Brisiel, Foster (I think that's reasonable) and lose Mario, wouldn't OLB be one of our top needs? We don't have much behind Barwin and Reed, and we need depth there. I think it would come down to OLB and WR, but given the free agency class, I would expect the Texans to pick up a WR more so than an OLB. There is a lot of talent at WR free agency and I would prefer filling that need through free agency. Good WRs are easier to find in this second round than OLBs too, so if that's the case, I would prefer going with Curry at 26 and seeing who falls to 58. Rueben Randel, Dwight Jones, Alshon Jeffery, Tommy Streeter, Sanu, etc etc, any of them could be there.
And we don't have ANYTHING beyond Brisiel or Myers. Antoine Caldwell? Not on the same level as Barwin/Reed. I definitely can see them going pass rusher DE or OLB at some point in the draft (maybe both) but this #1 pick is getting real tricky. Just in a bad spot.

Anyone given any thought to grabbing Mark Barron? Or hell, if Kirkpatrick fell and they thought of him to be a FS? Or are we too scared of Alabama DB's to try it again? Since it's such an ugly area...would it be a terrible idea to grab the best safety on most boards even if it's a small reach?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
And we don't have ANYTHING beyond Brisiel or Myers. Antoine Caldwell? Not on the same level as Barwin/Reed. I definitely can see them going pass rusher DE or OLB at some point in the draft (maybe both) but this #1 pick is getting real tricky. Just in a bad spot.

Anyone given any thought to grabbing Mark Barron? Or hell, if Kirkpatrick fell and they thought of him to be a FS? Or are we too scared of Alabama DB's to try it again? Since it's such an ugly area...would it be a terrible idea to grab the best safety on most boards even if it's a small reach?
Barron would be an upgrade over Quin IMO. I wouldn't hate it if we picked him. With the pressure we put on QB's you would think Quin would of picked at least one pass off last year.
Old 03-02-2012   #30
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Barron would be an upgrade over Quin IMO. I wouldn't hate it if we picked him. With the pressure we put on QB's you would think Quin would of picked at least one pass off last year.
Meh, INT's are pretty random. Especially on the backend I think you're looking for tipped passes as much as trying to jump a route. Not everybody has that instinct to jump passes like Ed Reed, that's what makes him special. Besides, Quin was never a high INT guy, pretty sure he got all 3 against Rusty Smith his first year. Quin's coverage was an obvious improvement over Wilson/Pollard though and he brought a pretty good pile of wood to the position as well.

I wouldn't oppose Barron, he's big, he's fast, he's a good tackler and has a nose for playmaking when the ball is in the air. He and Manning would be awesome and Quin could play CB or backup S or nickel/slot cover guy.

People want to say, Wade and Barwin/Reed/Watt improved the pass rush and it did, no doubt....but Confucious knows: Improved coverage::Improved pass rush. The 2ndary is still a few players away, they might be Harris or Carmichael but Barron would be a helluva choice, especially since it seems like there are about 20 no doubter 1st rounders and more than a few guys who will be considered a reach when they get picked at the end of the 1st.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #31
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 43499 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ya grabbing Barron and allowing Quin to play corner improves our secondary. I would be fine with this.....
Old 03-02-2012   #32
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

So EVERYBODY wanted Quin to move over to FS last year. And now we want to move him back to CB?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
So EVERYBODY wanted Quin to move over to FS last year. And now we want to move him back to CB?
Yeah, I really don't understand this either? Quin is the consummate teammate, moved to a new position & started every game for a defense that did a complete turnaround all for much less than a first round pick would cost (still playing on his rookie four-year, $2.240 million contract). Freaking genius'es around here

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-02-2012   #34
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 43499 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I really don't understand this either? Quin is the consummate teammate, moved to a new position & started every game for a defense that did a complete turnaround all for much less than a first round pick would cost (still playing on his rookie four-year, $2.240 million contract). Freaking genius'es around here
Well lets be honest what other good options were there last season at SS? If we can grab a potential star like Barron at SS wouldn't you consider it? Then if you do that Quin is still good enough to start, so you move him to corner....
Old 03-02-2012   #35
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, but, but.....interceptions!!!!!

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #36
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Well lets be honest what other good options were there last season at SS? If we can grab a potential star like Barron at SS wouldn't you consider it? Then if you do that Quin is still good enough to start, so you move him to corner....
CB & Safety are 2 different positions & besides that, You just don't do that to a player. How's he supposed to show improvement at a spot if you keep changing his position? Aside from that, We still don't know what we have in Brandon Harris & Roc Carmicheal...you know, 2 cbs we drafted just last year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
yeah, lets be honest, hell no. Quin is the Texans starting Srong Safety going forward & Wade loves the guy. CB yes, DL, OL yes, LB sure.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-03-2012   #38
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't get it either. Quin is a fine safety, he's nowhere near contending for All-pro or even second team. He's solid safety, but not spectacular. That's fine with me. You can't have pro-bowlers at every spot on a roster.
Old 03-03-2012   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't get it either. Quin is a fine safety, he's nowhere near contending for All-pro or even second team. He's solid safety, but not spectacular. That's fine with me. You can't have pro-bowlers at every spot on a roster.
I thought he looked pretty good at corner.

I think he looks pretty good at safety. Damn good considering it was his first year.

I'd like to see him after a full off-season. With better play from the #2 corner & our Free safety & Glover himself, I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised from the group as a whole.
Old 03-03-2012   #40
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

If Barron were an amazing Polamalu type talent, then he would be a consideration. But, he's not. So this pick makes little sense. Taking a Tackle, RB, or QB makes little sense. I would include TE, but I don't know if Dreessen is a certain re-sign. Pretty much everything else should be on the table, with WR getting the edge if the talent is equal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read