Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-15-2012   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default kipers new mock

1. Indianapolis Colts: QB Andrew Luck

2. St. Louis Rams: WR Justin Blackmon

3. Minnesota Vikings: OT Matt Kalil

4. Cleveland Browns: QB Robert Griffin III

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: RB Trent Richardson

6. Washington Redskins: CB Morris Claiborne

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: DE Quinton Coples

8. Carolina Panthers: DT Michael Brockers

9, Miami Dolphins: OT Riley Reiff

10. Buffalo Bills: LB Courtney Upshaw

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Kuechly

12. Seattle Seahawks: DE Melvin Ingram

13. Arizona Cardinals: OT Jonathan Martin

14. Dallas Cowboys: S Mark Barron

15. Philadelphia Eagles: DT Fletcher Cox

16. New York Jets: G Cordy Glenn

17. Cincinnati Bengals: CB Dre Kirkpatrick

18. San Diego Chargers: WR Michael Floyd

19. Chicago Bears: OT Mike Adams

20. Tennessee Titans: DE Whitney Mercilus

21. Cincinnati Bengals: G David DeCastro

22. Cleveland Browns: WR Kendall Wright

23. Detroit Lions: CB Janoris Jenkins

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: DT Dontari Poe

25. Denver Broncos: DT Devon Still

26. Houston Texans: DT Jerel Worthy

Me likey.

27. New England Patriots: OLB Vinny Curry

28. Green Bay Packers: S Harrison Smith

29. Baltimore Ravens: C Peter Konz

30. San Francisco 49ers: WR Rueben Randle

31. New England Patriots: DT Kendall Reyes

32. New York Giants: TE Dwayne Allen
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: kipers new mock

I thought Devon Still was generally considered a top 10-15 pick? If it fell like this I'd rather see Konz in a Texans uni...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I thought Devon Still was generally considered a top 10-15 pick? If it fell like this I'd rather see Konz in a Texans uni...
Still has been falling since the senior bowl. I would love Konz but he is no Worthy!
Old 02-16-2012   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be a reach to move Jerel Worthy to play a position he is not familiar with. This mock falls apart to me quickly, not a big fan of his scouting abilities.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree with Beerlover's post.
Old 02-16-2012   #6
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Still has been falling since the senior bowl. I would love Konz but he is no Worthy!
They play different positions....and Konz is best OC in the draft. Worthy isn't the best DL by a wide margin.
Old 02-16-2012   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If we don't sign Mario, Curry should be considered.
If we don't sign Myers, Konz shouldn't be passed up.
If Decastro is there, I say we take him if Myers is re-signed, regardless of what else happens.
If Michael Floyd is there, I say we take him, but only if Konz and Decastro are gone.

Lots of contingencies to consider, but we will have a much better idea by the end of March.
Old 02-16-2012   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
They play different positions....and Konz is best OC in the draft. Worthy isn't the best DL by a wide margin.
LOL I know who they are and what position they play. I guess my attempt at word play didn't workout like I thought it would. Also, what do positional rankings have to do with the price of butter in China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It would be a reach to move Jerel Worthy to play a position he is not familiar with.
Like it was when we drafted JJ Watt who played 4/3 DE and started him at DE in our 3/4? Worthy's best attribute is his ability to penetrate. At 6'3" and 310 lbs with his explosive burst at the snap he could play inside or out in our defense. He is vocal and plays with alot of emotion. Can be real nasty but is has a high football IQ. He's known for pointing out things like hot receivers and run plays to team mates before plays.

If somehow he is still available when we're up at 26 we should run up to the podium. He fits this defense in so many ways its scary.

Quote:
This mock falls apart to me quickly, not a big fan of his scouting abilities.
I'm wondering about your scouting abilities after that last comment.

So where do you think this mock falls apart and why?
Old 02-16-2012   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If Decastro is there, I say we take him if Myers is re-signed, regardless of what else happens.
If Michael Floyd is there, I say we take him, but only if Konz and Decastro are gone.

Lots of contingencies to consider, but we will have a much better idea by the end of March.
I don't understand the line of thinking that we should draft a DE in the first round if we loose Mario. Why? I love Decastro, there aren't a lot of players I would take in front of him. If we loose Meyers we better draft Konz. I'm not sold Smithiak thinks like all the fans and the media about our WR situation. I really hope the early portion of our draft goes to adding talent to our trenches be it OL or DL.

Foster is incredible, we need to give him the best blocking possible while he is still young and at the top of his game. RB's don't last that long. With the way our defense flies around the ball we need major depth and talent in our front seven. As long as we see to it that those two things are taken care of we will be in good shape.
Old 02-16-2012   #10
TimeKiller

Quote:
LOL I know who they are and what position they play. I guess my attempt at word play didn't workout like I thought it would. Also, what do positional rankings have to do with the price of butter in China?
No it didn't. Just seemed like you thought they were comparable.
Old 02-16-2012   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like it was when we drafted JJ Watt who played 4/3 DE and started him at DE in our 3/4? Worthy's best attribute is his ability to penetrate. At 6'3" and 310 lbs with his explosive burst at the snap he could play inside or out in our defense. He is vocal and plays with alot of emotion. Can be real nasty but is has a high football IQ. He's known for pointing out things like hot receivers and run plays to team mates before plays.

If somehow he is still available when we're up at 26 we should run up to the podium. He fits this defense in so many ways its scary.
Worthy is no 3-4 DE. He did not play similar position either @ Michigan State. Now if Texans played in a 4-3 & needed a one gap DT that would be different. To compare him to Watt is inaccurate, nor does he fit NG or played that position either. Not a fit here.

Quote:
I'm wondering about your scouting abilities after that last comment.
I've seen worse but c'mon he is supposed to be the authority or are you actually..... Mel? taking my comments personel?

Quote:
So where do you think this mock falls apart and why?
You don't pay me like you pay Kipper in golden laced gobblets

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-16-2012   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Worthy is no 3-4 DE. He did not play similar position either @ Michigan State. Now if Texans played in a 4-3 & needed a one gap DT that would be different. To compare him to Watt is inaccurate, nor does he fit NG or played that position either. Not a fit here.

Watt played DE in a 4/3 then came here and played DE in a 3/4. There are numerous scouting reports out there that say he could play the 5 in a 3/4.

I've seen worse but c'mon he is supposed to be the authority or are you actually..... Mel? taking my comments personel?

Just playin!

You don't pay me like you pay Kipper in golden laced gobblets
I don't pay anyone for scouting reports.
Old 02-16-2012   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan of Mel Kiper, and I dislike his scouting even more. Last year he said we would take a receiver first, knowing our needs on defense.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I don't pay anyone for scouting reports.
You should, might help!

Coples has great size but will need to improve technique, hence emphasis on his work ethic/consistency. His value should project to 15-20 not top 10.

Mark Barron is not a first round pick. Kirkpatrick will need to play FS doesn't have fluid hips to play corner plus not overly fast. Again both reaches.

Reiff should not be a top 10 pick, RT's should not go this high.

Those are just a sampling of nitpicks the Patriot picks are downright horrible as is the Texans pick.

Stay thirsty, my friend

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-17-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As I think a good OG can be taken in 2nd, I'd take Wright or Floyd (if Texan would sign him due to off field issues).
Old 02-17-2012   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand the line of thinking that we should draft a DE in the first round if we loose Mario. Why?
Vinny Curry would be an OLB in our system, and I said he should be considered, not taken. It depends on how other things shake out in free agency. If we keep Myers, Brisiel and Foster, WR and OLB would be our top two positions of need. However, I expect Blackmon, Floyd and Wright to be off the board by 26, so I would rather spend that pick on a good OLB. That's all, it's just a bunch of IF statements

Quote:
I love Decastro, there aren't a lot of players I would take in front of him. If we loose Meyers we better draft Konz. I'm not sold Smithiak thinks like all the fans and the media about our WR situation. I really hope the early portion of our draft goes to adding talent to our trenches be it OL or DL.
As I said, each of those picks is dependent on free agency. If Myers leaves, we must take Konz to keep the o-line in tact. I belive Konz can easily come into our system and start week 1. Same with Decastro. If we lost both Myers and Brisiel, I would have a hard time picking between the two of those guys, but I think Decastro will be gone before Konz. Either way, I hope the Texans aren't forced to pick one of those two due to losses.

Quote:
Foster is incredible, we need to give him the best blocking possible while he is still young and at the top of his game. RB's don't last that long. With the way our defense flies around the ball we need major depth and talent in our front seven. As long as we see to it that those two things are taken care of we will be in good shape.
I agree with that, but consider all the conditions here. If we keep Myers, Brisiel, Foster (I think that's reasonable) and lose Mario, wouldn't OLB be one of our top needs? We don't have much behind Barwin and Reed, and we need depth there. I think it would come down to OLB and WR, but given the free agency class, I would expect the Texans to pick up a WR more so than an OLB. There is a lot of talent at WR free agency and I would prefer filling that need through free agency. Good WRs are easier to find in this second round than OLBs too, so if that's the case, I would prefer going with Curry at 26 and seeing who falls to 58. Rueben Randel, Dwight Jones, Alshon Jeffery, Tommy Streeter, Sanu, etc etc, any of them could be there.
Old 02-17-2012   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As I think a good OG can be taken in 2nd, I'd take Wright or Floyd (if Texan would sign him due to off field issues).
If Zeitler is who you're thinking of, I don't think he makes it to our 2nd round pick. I don't believe Wright or Floyd will be there at 26 either, but if they are I will be happy taking them.
Old 02-17-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
If Zeitler is who you're thinking of, I don't think he makes it to our 2nd round pick. I don't believe Wright or Floyd will be there at 26 either, but if they are I will be happy taking them.
My opinion has fluctuated on those exact players also. I'm rooting that Cleveland trades up to #2 for RG3 and theryby gives up the other first and somehow Alshon & Floyd are taken before Wright giving us a chance. It sort of pains me to have been right about Wright being so well thought of.
Washington and Lonnie Edwards also interest me as OGs.
Old 02-17-2012   #19
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As I said, each of those picks is dependent on free agency. If Myers leaves, we must take Konz to keep the o-line in tact. I belive Konz can easily come into our system and start week 1. Same with Decastro. If we lost both Myers and Brisiel, I would have a hard time picking between the two of those guys, but I think Decastro will be gone before Konz. Either way, I hope the Texans aren't forced to pick one of those two due to losses.

I can't imagine Myers or Brisiel leaving. Myers will be 31 and Brisiel will be 29 this year. They are suited to the Zone Blocking scheme. How many other teams run this exclusively like the Texans? Maybe Washington and Seattle. Both of those teams are trying to rebuild. Unless one of those teams, or any other team, throw a boatload of at them, I don't see either one leaving. I think both want to stay and know they have a good thing going here and would be willing to take a little less $$$ to stay. Just hope they can work it all out with Mario, Foster, and the rest of the FA's.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #20
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I can't imagine Myers or Brisiel leaving. Myers will be 31 and Brisiel will be 29 this year. They are suited to the Zone Blocking scheme. How many other teams run this exclusively like the Texans? Maybe Washington and Seattle. Both of those teams are trying to rebuild. Unless one of those teams, or any other team, throw a boatload of at them, I don't see either one leaving. I think both want to stay and know they have a good thing going here and would be willing to take a little less $$$ to stay. Just hope they can work it all out with Mario, Foster, and the rest of the FA's.
I think Briesel is much more likely to leave than Myers. He could play in a power or zone scheme. Myers is 293 lbs soaking wet. He is too light in anything but a ZBS.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read