Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-09-2012   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BB/65/BL Post Super Bowl Texan 2012 Mock Draft 1A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Tannehill is not part of our equation, not sure why some big time mock drafts have him so high? I would take a chance on Weeden before Tannehill, at least I know that he could be an adequate back-up. my QB ranking would look something like this: (doesn't mean where I expect them to be selected because it never does)
  • Luck -1st
  • Griffin - 1st
  • Foles - 2nd
  • Lindley - 2nd/3rd
  • Weeden - 3rd
  • Osweiler - 3rd
  • Tannehill - 3rd
  • Coleman - 4th/5th
  • Cousins -5th

I haven't seen a whole lot of Foles or Lindley, but I like what I saw out of Weeden better than Tannehill.

I really like Weeden. The zip on his passes is really, really nice.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tannehill is not part of our equation, not sure why some big time mock drafts have him so high? I would take a chance on Weeden before Tannehill, at least I know that he could be an adequate back-up. my QB ranking would look something like this: (doesn't mean where I expect them to be selected because it never does)
  • Luck -1st
  • Griffin - 1st
  • Foles - 2nd
  • Lindley - 2nd/3rd
  • Weeden - 3rd
  • Osweiler - 3rd
  • Tannehill - 3rd
  • Coleman - 4th/5th
  • Cousins -5th
Agreed, good list, you guys rate Lindley much higher than I do. 4th/5th. The sleeper on your list to me is Coleman. He impressed me at the East/West game. He's got an above avg arm, touch and some pocket presence. I've read he just needs to improve his accuracy. (Same with Lindley)

The one advantage Tannehill has over the other QB's listed is that he has already basically run Garys offense for the last yr and a half under Sherman.

I've got Tannehill rated as a late 2nd rd pick. (Just about where the Texans will be picking.) He probably will be long gone by then, taken by one of the QB needy teams.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Explain.

I think it's possible. It's entirely possible with the way QB's are drafted that he will be gone by the 10th pick. Hopefully the league is learning it's lesson from hella reaching on QBs. He seems like he's been propped up a bit by other guys going back to school but he's got a lot of skills and from what I can read, needs to sit and learn to be effective. Who better to learn from than fellow Aggie and Qb magician Gary Kubiak?

You and I share the same view of lisfranc injuries. Not that Schaub's game relied on mobility but can he be ANOTHER mental step ahead of the action to compensate for having absolutely nothing in terms of movement? I think we've already seen the best of Schaub. Lisfranc I believe is what ended Glenn Earl's time in the NFL. Tannehill could definitely be a Texan, Schaub could be tagged next year if he needed more time to learn and in case of emergency (break glass) Tannehill is likely a better option than Delhomme.
KJ is still very vunerable to double moves. He still got burned alot even though he was only playing 50% of the snaps last yr. His lack of ints is also another sign of lack of where/when the ball is coming his way. IMHO

God, please dont let this turn into another KJ debate.
Old 02-09-2012   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed, good list, you guys rate Lindley much higher than I do. 4th/5th. The sleeper on your list to me is Coleman. He impressed me at the East/West game. He's got an above avg arm, touch and some pocket presence. I've read he just needs to improve his accuracy. (Same with Lindley)

The one advantage Tannehill has over the other QB's listed is that he has already basically run Garys offense for the last yr and a half under Sherman.

I've got Tannehill rated as a late 2nd rd pick. (Just about where the Texans will be picking.) He probably will be long gone by then, taken by one of the QB needy teams.
Agree on Coleman, see mock 1B.

Another angle is player trade value. Yates has curb appeal as a trade target to other teams needing QB help. Where on this list would you place him?

What is his trade value to another NFL team? Heck no I don't want to trade him but there will be some calls to inquire about his services come draft day so when do they listen, a mid/early 2nd? Seems like pretty good return out of a player selected middle of the 5th rd. one year earlier. This process needs to be executed when opportunity presents itself, with fewer & fewer pressing needs Kubiak & Smith can leverage their strengths.

Texans will rate QB's value in upcoming draft just like any other position. From combine fast forward to draft I fully expect both these prospects stock to rise, it's a fluid process. Texans are probably in depth evaluations right this minute over current roster players, which should be completed along with coaching hires before the combine (maybe in early stages of a Draft Big Board construction as well).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agree on Coleman, see mock 1B.

Another angle is player trade value. Yates has curb appeal as a trade target to other teams needing QB help. Where on this list would you place him?

What is his trade value to another NFL team? Heck no I don't want to trade him but there will be some calls to inquire about his services come draft day so when do they listen, a mid/early 2nd? Seems like pretty good return out of a player selected middle of the 5th rd. one year earlier. This process needs to be executed when opportunity presents itself, with fewer & fewer pressing needs Kubiak & Smith can leverage their strengths.

Texans will rate QB's value in upcoming draft just like any other position. From combine fast forward to draft I fully expect both these prospects stock to rise, it's a fluid process. Texans are probably in depth evaluations right this minute over current roster players, which should be completed along with coaching hires before the combine (maybe in early stages of a Draft Big Board construction as well).
Depending on if Rick really sees somebody he likes

Say if Josh Norman fell late 2nd/early 3rd or Josh Chapman for instance.

Would you trade Yates? I would.

Rd.1 Randle
Rd.2 Norman
Rd.2 Chapman
Rd.3 White
Rd.4 Bequette
Rd.5 Coleman

Looks pretty good to me. What do you think about this?
Old 02-09-2012   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rd.1 Randle
Rd.2 Norman
Rd.2 Chapman
Rd.3 White
Rd.4 Bequette
Rd.5 Coleman

Shoot us another WR, Randle was not on our board.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-09-2012   #47
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rd.1 Randle
Rd.2 Norman
Rd.2 Chapman
Rd.3 White
Rd.4 Bequette
Rd.5 Coleman

If Schaub wasn't hurt last year, I would do it, but I'm leery of moving Yates given that Schaub may not be ready week 1. I'm also leaning towards keeping Lienart next year and not drafting a QB at all this time around. I'm not worried about losing Schaub in free agency next year, I think he will stick with Kubiak, especially given his age and injury history at that point. 2012 will be the year for us to draft a QB if we don't see a good one fall to a late round.
Old 02-09-2012   #48
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rd.1 Randle
Rd.2 Norman
Rd.2 Chapman
Rd.3 White
Rd.4 Bequette
Rd.5 Coleman

Ugh, no to Randle. Dude just does not seem to be a pro receiver- a lot of hype, no substance. If we are looking first, one of the big 4 will drop- Blackmon, Wright, Jeffery, or Floyd. I would take any of those in a heart beat.

And then I would much rather take Criner, Toon, etc in the second, if one of the 4 were not available in the first.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #49
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
KJ is still very vunerable to double moves. He still got burned alot even though he was only playing 50% of the snaps last yr. His lack of ints is also another sign of lack of where/when the ball is coming his way. IMHO

God, please dont let this turn into another KJ debate.
You don't think he made a pretty significant stride towards competency this year? I'm not saying he was good but....come on, he was A LOT better.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #50
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You don't think he made a pretty significant stride towards competency this year? I'm not saying he was good but....come on, he was A LOT better.
Absolutely he got better, I don't think anyone would dispute that. Not falling down makes him a million times better than he was last year. The problem is, we could do better, so if a CB/return guy is available in the 3rd like Boykin, I'd take him and let Jason Allen leave. Boykin would be a great ST gunner too, so I think he would be valuable. Gives KJ competition and incentive to improve, and makes the team deeper at a key position. Still have Roc Carmichael and Brandon Harris coming back in 2012 to compete too, so CB#2 should be pretty young either way.
Old 02-09-2012   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Shoot us another WR, Randle was not on our board.
Jeffery or Sanu

Were they on your board?
Old 02-09-2012   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Jeffery or Sanu

Were they on your board?
As a group, we felt Alshon would be off the board while Sanu is realistic but lacks deep speed to take the top off coverages. Maybe pick up someone like Adams in the 2nd or 3rd to compliment?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-09-2012   #53
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As a group, we felt Alshon would be off the board while Sanu is realistic but lacks deep speed to take the top off coverages. Maybe pick up someone like Adams in the 2nd or 3rd to compliment?
Yep. And I still really like Broyles, having watched his entire career at Oklahoma, if he recovers from his injury then he is a pretty sure bet to be at least a 3rd receiver in the NFL for many years. And he has PR value.
Old 02-09-2012   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I love Adams and J.Wright.

A WR corps of

AJ, Meachem, Adams, Walter and White would be a massive upgrade.

I mean adding Patrick Crayton would be an upgrade over JJ.
Old 02-09-2012   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Yep. And I still really like Broyles, having watched his entire career at Oklahoma, if he recovers from his injury then he is a pretty sure bet to be at least a 3rd receiver in the NFL for many years. And he has PR value.
Broyles was a great college player.

I wondered how he would do in the pros at WR before his injury. If he was there in the 4/5th I would take him as a PR guy.

Before Broyles injury did you consider Bryles>Adams as a PR?
Old 02-09-2012   #56
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Broyles was a great college player.

I wondered how he would do in the pros at WR before his injury. If he was there in the 4/5th I would take him as a PR guy.

Before Broyles injury did you consider Bryles>Adams as a PR?
Just as a PR? No. Broyles will be above average, I think, but Adams can be a game breaker returning punts.
Old 02-10-2012   #57
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Adams has more versatility than just about everyone in the draft too. He could double...or triple as HB depth too. His speed is threatening anywhere and he has the skills to lineup anywhere. What's keeping him in the mid rounds? Size?
Old 02-10-2012   #58
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Absolutely he got better, I don't think anyone would dispute that. Not falling down makes him a million times better than he was last year. The problem is, we could do better, so if a CB/return guy is available in the 3rd like Boykin, I'd take him and let Jason Allen leave. Boykin would be a great ST gunner too, so I think he would be valuable. Gives KJ competition and incentive to improve, and makes the team deeper at a key position. Still have Roc Carmichael and Brandon Harris coming back in 2012 to compete too, so CB#2 should be pretty young either way.
You can do better? Come on that's not a real reason, until you have Jerry Rice catching passes from Montana with Reggie White on the DL and..................anyone CAN be upgraded, the thing is value. If Boykin is selected in the 3rd, decent value but it would mostly be for his return ability. As has been pointed out, CB is young including those 2 guys who are basically just rookies with experience. Lots of talent left in the 3rd but is it more valuable to pick up a depth CB/return man or an OL that possibly pushes to start? Or a WR that probably does start?

While we sit here and project players futures...why not look at KJ's future? If he makes the same strides he did this past year, what level of play would you say that is? He's still young, only 2 years experience so it's not like he's an old dog learning new tricks. He was vastly improved and clearly has better coaches and better leadership around him too.
Old 02-10-2012   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While we sit here and project players futures...why not look at KJ's future? If he makes the same strides he did this past year, what level of play would you say that is? He's still young, only 2 years experience so it's not like he's an old dog learning new tricks. He was vastly improved and clearly has better coaches and better leadership around him too.
I can't speak for anyone else, but when I say that we can do better at the CB#2 spot I mean that we could probably find someone that we'd all feel comfortable taking the bulk (if not all) of the starters reps there. Someone that was better at finding and locating the ball in the air. Someone that actually made plays on the ball.

To me, with the level KJ was playing at last year he would have been a good back up corner doing spot duty.

Jason Allen isn't all that but KJ couldn't keep him off the field.

Hopefully KJ shows continued growth, but if we can pick up a better player there I'm all for it.

The next step up from KJ isn't hall of famer.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I truly hope so, in fact I really hope he goes top 25.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read