Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-07-2012   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BB/65/BL Post Super Bowl Texan 2012 Mock Draft 1A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I of course like the 1st rounder you guys suggested... 2nd rounder I'm okay with...

I really like where you're going with the 3rd round pick... I've never seen any video or anything on the kid, but i understand the value you're shooting for... So my question is: what other QBs may be available come the Texans 3rd rd pick that you think hold good value for that pick? I'd like to look at all of them...
here is a tough match-up for Lindley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZKHc0FKDsQ vs Louisiana Lafayette who has an outstanding CB named Dwight Bentley who I absolutely love (would consider him in 3rd as well). Notice how athletic he is, that he keeps his eyes down field, even on the run, making progressions, excellent arm strength, good accuracy. In regards to other QB's with 2nd/3rd rd. grades who have the size combined with athletic ability are the two Arizona QB's Foles, Arizona, 6-5 244 & Osweiler, Arizona State, 6-7 240 out of the three we favored Lindley. Also in mock 1A we target Chattanooga, QB BJ Coleman, 6-3 234. Also athletic with strong arm, w/smooth, quick release with good mechanics. TJ for instance had the quickest release of any QB prospect in last years draft, something Texans really like from a mechanics standpoint.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Strange, isn't it? Took me a minute to like the idea...

I like the idea of more ILB depth in the 3rd, heck maybe even 2nd (if Mario is gone, OLB depth un 3rd)...but having two very young QBs with promise learning, maturing and competing for the starting job in the future is very tempting to me...

Wouldn't say I'm sold, but I'm liking it...
good on you, its very important to keep an open mind & show ability to process needs while not overlooking value.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-07-2012   #23
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Third string QB in the beginning. Taking time to develop the right way & becoming your starter in 3-5 years.
Kubiak has used a single 5th and single 7th round draft selection to take QB's over his tenure. And you guys think he will take one in the 3rd when we have Schaub and Yates?

Not to mention he has selected at least one DB in every single draft since 2007.

Now maybe you are right, and maybe you are wrong. But the evidence suggests that QB is not high on their priority list.

You wouldnt rather have another WR, or OL?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Kubiak has used a single 5th and single 7th round draft selection to take QB's over his tenure. And you guys think he will take one in the 3rd when we have Schaub and Yates?

Not to mention he has selected at least one DB in every single draft since 2007.

Now maybe you are right, and maybe you are wrong. But the evidence suggests that QB is not high on their priority list.

You wouldnt rather have another WR, or OL?
suggests QB position has been overlooked for too long while Texans, as you mentioned, have selected at least one DB in every single draft since 2007 should have a nice stable by now

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-07-2012   #25
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
suggests QB position has been overlooked for too long while Texans, as you mentioned, have selected at least one DB in every single draft since 2007 should have a nice stable by now
lol e for effort.

1 QB can start. 5 DB's can start.
Old 02-07-2012   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
lol e for effort.

1 QB can start. 5 DB's can start.
which position is the most coveted & important?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-07-2012   #27
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
which position is the most coveted & important?
The one we have staffed with 2 starting caliber players.
Old 02-07-2012   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
The one we have staffed with 2 starting caliber players.
Can't speak to my draft partners opinion on this but I'm not a big fan of Schaub. His lack of athletic ability kills me. He's also a free agent in 2013. Matt was acquired via trade & Yates the draft. Free agency has been disappointing to me as well. The best route to address QB position is to draft smart & develop talent that fits mold of system, as long as Kubiak is here. Guess we'll agree to disagree, obviously I respect your opinion especially when it comes to the draft.

I have high hopes for Roc Carmichael, actually had a 3rd grade for him last year. Too bad he was lost for season in training camp, I expect him to bounce back & make an impact this upcoming season. Brice McCain has turned into an outstanding nickle CB. His short area speed & ability to play the pass has kept 2nd rd. pick Brandon Harris on the sidelines. Of course Jonathan Joseph was one of the best free agent acquisitions in the league last year, proving he is elite @ his position. KJ is a work in progress who shows signs of improvement in ball recognition & body position & has plus physical size. Glover Quin had an outstanding rookie year playing SS I thought & Daniel Manning is excellent run defender & FS over the top. A whole bunch of young talent waiting in the wings to get their reps as well, including Troy Nolan, Sherrick McManis, Quinton Demps, Shilo Keo & Torri Williams stashed on practice squad. That's assuming Texans will not resign Jason Allen or Dominque Barber? I just don't share the same sense of urgency to address DB in the 2012 draft, doesn't mean I'm right, just a feeling.

If we did target a CB it would have to early to make this roster. In the first really the only one around the #26 spot would be Janoris Jenkins, but question how Texans would factor in character aspect. 2nd rd. like Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina. Actually we discussed placing him in one or the other mock draft, because he possess starter talent, but then again there is some off field issues. As mentioned my favorite considered is in the Lindley tape from LA, Lafayette, Dwight Bentley. He is almost a carbon copy of Roc Carmichael, aggressive little corner who doesn't back away from a fight, has no off field issue that I know of either.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-07-2012   #29
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't speak to my draft partners opinion on this but I'm not a big fan of Schaub. His lack of athletic ability kills me. He's also a free agent in 2013. Matt was acquired via trade & Yates the draft. Free agency has been disappointing to me as well. The best route to address QB position is to draft smart & develop talent that fits mold of system, as long as Kubiak is here. Guess we'll agree to disagree, obviously I respect your opinion especially when it comes to the draft.

I have high hopes for Roc Carmichael, actually had a 3rd grade for him last year. Too bad he was lost for season in training camp, I expect him to bounce back & make an impact this upcoming season. Brice McCain has turned into an outstanding nickle CB. His short area speed & ability to play the pass has kept 2nd rd. pick Brandon Harris on the sidelines. Of course Jonathan Joseph was one of the best free agent acquisitions in the league last year, proving he is elite @ his position. KJ is a work in progress who shows signs of improvement in ball recognition & body position & has plus physical size. Glover Quin had an outstanding rookie year playing SS I thought & Daniel Manning is excellent run defender & FS over the top. A whole bunch of young talent waiting in the wings to get their reps as well, including Troy Nolan, Sherrick McManis, Quinton Demps, Shilo Keo & Torri Williams stashed on practice squad. That's assuming Texans will not resign Jason Allen or Dominque Barber? I just don't share the same sense of urgency to address DB in the 2012 draft, doesn't mean I'm right, just a feeling.

If we did target a CB it would have to early to make this roster. In the first really the only one around the #26 spot would be Janoris Jenkins, but question how Texans would factor in character aspect. 2nd rd. like Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina. Actually we discussed placing him in one or the other mock draft, because he possess starter talent, but then again there is some off field issues. As mentioned my favorite considered is in the Lindley tape from LA, Lafayette, Dwight Bentley. He is almost a carbon copy of Roc Carmichael, aggressive little corner who doesn't back away from a fight, has no off field issue that I know of either.
I have to agree with just about all of this.

Schaub is older, immobile, and coming off of a serious injury. Yates is a nice insurance policy, but he is far from a sure thing. So is Lindley. By having 2 young QBs in the pipeline, we have a good chance at uncovering a top tier QB. If by some miracle they both pan out, we trade one for draft picks or something.

Now, I do disagree with my partners when it comes to Cliff Harris. I would grab him in the 4th without ever looking back.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #30
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Wright will be gone by Bears pick. WR is a good choice but I think Jeffrey or Sanu would probably be more available than Kendall Wright unfortunately.
Old 02-07-2012   #31
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well put. Harris and Carmicheal are basically rookies who got a little extra experience, not exactly a brand shiny new draft choice but it's not that far of a stretch. If KJ takes the same step forward that he took from his rookie to 2nd years, won't that be a competent level of CB play? He went from not-even-funny bad to an ok rotation player. I think the next step would be average starter.

As far as setting up Kubiak with a QB of the future.....what would you say to drafting Tannehill in the 1st? There aren't going to be any elite guys, even getting a WR like most want is probably going to be by way of reaching for one. There are a couple decent DL choices, maybe Peter Konz slips but right now that 26th pick is looking ugly, especially for a team makings gains on the depth chart.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Well put. Harris and Carmicheal are basically rookies who got a little extra experience, not exactly a brand shiny new draft choice but it's not that far of a stretch. If KJ takes the same step forward that he took from his rookie to 2nd years, won't that be a competent level of CB play? He went from not-even-funny bad to an ok rotation player. I think the next step would be average starter.

As far as setting up Kubiak with a QB of the future.....what would you say to drafting Tannehill in the 1st? There aren't going to be any elite guys, even getting a WR like most want is probably going to be by way of reaching for one. There are a couple decent DL choices, maybe Peter Konz slips but right now that 26th pick is looking ugly, especially for a team makings gains on the depth chart.
I dont think KJ will improve. (Lack of awareness) They need to move on from KJ.

In this scenario trading up for one of the top WR's would be they way to go.

If Tannehill falls I would hope that a team like Seattle would give up their 2nd/3rd rd picks to move up and take Tannehill. If that didn't materialize I would have no problem with the Gary taking Tannehill. I'm not as optimistic about Schaub making it back to 100%. Lisfranc is usually a career killer.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 02-07-2012 at 10:28 PM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #33
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I hope Allen stays here unless they find someone better than him.
Old 02-08-2012   #34
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

If Tannehill falls I would hope that a team like Seattle would give up their 2nd/3rd rd picks to move up and take Tannehill. If that didn't materialize I would have no problem with the Gary taking Tannehill. I'm not as optimistic about Schaub making it back to 100%. Lisfranc is usually a career killer.
Explain.

I think it's possible. It's entirely possible with the way QB's are drafted that he will be gone by the 10th pick. Hopefully the league is learning it's lesson from hella reaching on QBs. He seems like he's been propped up a bit by other guys going back to school but he's got a lot of skills and from what I can read, needs to sit and learn to be effective. Who better to learn from than fellow Aggie and Qb magician Gary Kubiak?

You and I share the same view of lisfranc injuries. Not that Schaub's game relied on mobility but can he be ANOTHER mental step ahead of the action to compensate for having absolutely nothing in terms of movement? I think we've already seen the best of Schaub. Lisfranc I believe is what ended Glenn Earl's time in the NFL. Tannehill could definitely be a Texan, Schaub could be tagged next year if he needed more time to learn and in case of emergency (break glass) Tannehill is likely a better option than Delhomme.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Third string QB in the beginning. Taking time to develop the right way & becoming your starter in 3-5 years.
does that actually ever happen?
Old 02-08-2012   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
does that actually ever happen?
Matt Schaub ~

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-08-2012   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yates was prone to making mistakes in College. I'm on record, when Texans made the pick I didn't like it. Said similar thing as you, that if they felt QB was a need they should have taken a top tier prospect earlier in the draft. But Kubiak proved he can develop a young QB with some ability & overcome less desirable tendencies with good mechanics, this is key to pick. So why not clean out the bullpen (Leinart, Delhomme, Garcia) with a solid, talented & young QB trio, while saving cap room? This theme is carried foward in both mock 1A & 1B. Let's take advantage of Coach Kubiak's strength, QB development & settle QB position next 10 years. The final draft grade for Lindley is yet to be established but should come in at least on par with that of current starting Texan QB Matt Schaub drafted out of Virginia 3rd rd. 2004. Lindley is legitimate starter material to develop & eventually replace Schaub. It's a bold stroke but if you look at the numbers & play to the strength of this organization it makes a lot of sense. Ryan Lindley's numbers smash those of Schaub in College, he has a strong arm, is athletic (also baseball player) threw for 12,700 yards & 90 TD's.
Folks as Beerlover says above Lindley is starter material and should prove to be a steal in 3rd. I am high on Yates but expect Lindley to beat him out for back up. Also, our thinking as BL says is clean out the left overs and go with Schaub/ Lindley/ Yates. I fully support Schuab but we would be foolish to expect him to get better & I for one will be happy if he maintains stats from 2 seasons ago. As another poster mentioned 2012 is Matt's final contract year & Lindley & Yates will give us opportunity to see if we have to re-sign Matt to a long high $ deal. You do not want to draft 2013 QB to replace Matt. Also, trading up cost Falcons a lot to get Julio Jones, can you imagine what RG3 would take?
Old 02-08-2012   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

TK, I watched almost all A&M games and Tannehill is no one I want especially @ round he will be drafted. Several Aggies were on my early radar from last season including Fuller and Judie but I was disappointed.
We are swamped with very good defensive backs and should select one only if value supercedes round. Concerning Peter Konz, we debated long on hard as he is a terrific center who should be a great OG and prob beat out Smith. I thought he would be gone top 20 but now think possible he could be there. I am slowly re-thinking my mandate of Kendall Wright who looks more like he will be gone #26. Like you I'm thinking 26 is ugly step child that we might be abe to trade down.
Old 02-09-2012   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Tannehill is not part of our equation, not sure why some big time mock drafts have him so high? I would take a chance on Weeden before Tannehill, at least I know that he could be an adequate back-up. my QB ranking would look something like this: (doesn't mean where I expect them to be selected because it never does)
  • Luck -1st
  • Griffin - 1st
  • Foles - 2nd
  • Lindley - 2nd/3rd
  • Weeden - 3rd
  • Osweiler - 3rd
  • Tannehill - 3rd
  • Coleman - 4th/5th
  • Cousins -5th

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-09-2012   #40
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Tannehill is not part of our equation, not sure why some big time mock drafts have him so high? I would take a chance on Weeden before Tannehill, at least I know that he could be an adequate back-up. my QB ranking would look something like this: (doesn't mean where I expect them to be selected because it never does)
  • Luck -1st
  • Griffin - 1st
  • Foles - 2nd
  • Lindley - 2nd/3rd
  • Weeden - 3rd
  • Osweiler - 3rd
  • Tannehill - 3rd
  • Coleman - 4th/5th
  • Cousins -5th
I will be honest, I really like Foles. I watched a few of his games the past couple seasons and he looks the part.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read