Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-04-2012   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan Post 2012 Senior Bowl Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
No ... I want depth , he can win the job if he wants .
It's funny how some fans have such short term memory loss. Guess he forgot Connor Barwin being carted off the field in 2010 season opener against Indianapolis with a severe right leg injury. Not sure how but he obviously did -

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #42
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It's funny how some fans have such short term memory loss. Guess he forgot Connor Barwin being carted off the field in 2010 season opener against Indianapolis with a severe right leg injury. Not sure how but he obviously did -
The chances of Vinny Curry breaking an ankle is just as likely as it is for Barwin. Injuries happen, I don't see anyone clamoring for a 1st round QB because Schaub broke his foot.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
The chances of Vinny Curry breaking an ankle is just as likely as it is for Barwin. Injuries happen, I don't see anyone clamoring for a 1st round QB because Schaub broke his foot.
This is exactly why depth is important & every position.

Schaub out in comes Leinart. First half Leinart out in comes TJ. Rick Smith combs the available QB market & brings in Jake Delhomme who was not enough so they brought in Jerry Garcia, oops I mean Jeff Garcia. Talk about depth concerns & short term memory lapses.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 02-04-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2012   #44
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is exactly why depth is important & every position.

Schaub out in comes Leinart. First half Leinart out in comes TJ. Rick Smith combs the available QB market & brings in Jake Delhomme who was not enough so they brought in Jerry Garcia, oops I mean Jeff Garcia. Talk about depth concerns & short term memory lapses.
Um, I remember what happened, thank you very little. BPA/Need drafting is one thing but if you're seriously going to prop this up as a pick we must have because someone is going to get injured...

Yeah, you need DEPTH behind Barwin and Reed...I just don't see how selecting an OLB is a prudent choice while you still need a boost at interior OL, WR and CB. Much less reaching on a guy who is still considered a 2nd round pick...
Old 02-05-2012   #45
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Um, I remember what happened, thank you very little. BPA/Need drafting is one thing but if you're seriously going to prop this up as a pick we must have because someone is going to get injured...

Yeah, you need DEPTH behind Barwin and Reed...I just don't see how selecting an OLB is a prudent choice while you still need a boost at interior OL, WR and CB. Much less reaching on a guy who is still considered a 2nd round pick...
Atlanta gave up a bunch to get Julio Jones and they didn't go as far as the Texans . Why ... cause they could only muster 2 points vs the Giants . The Giants had a FA Wr out play Julio .

The point is a guy who can put pressure on a QB is extremely valuable . A good G/C can be had in the 2nd and I'd rather get a FA good CB because they haven't had a lot of success in the draft .

As far as WR goes if Blackmon or Wright are there go for it . I don't think they'll draft the ND guy and there's a bunch of players who are carbon copies of each other .
Old 02-05-2012   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

IMO, it's simple. If Andre wasn't expected to come back, then WR is a big need. We'll get someone in FA & we'll pick a high draft pick & a low draft pick. FAs, just like the draft, you don't know what you're going to get.....Randy Moss to Oakland/Randy Moss to New England. Draft picks are pretty much the same. Tedd Ginn Jr, Robert Meachum, Darius Heyward-BAy(sp), so you have to load up & hedge your bets.

We were still a top 5 offense without Andre, but you're silly if you think this team is not better with him.

Same goes for Mario. Like it or not, the rest of the league sees him as a dominant pass rusher. He might not put out the "effort" some would like to see on every play, but you don't run at him. He contains the backside & he gets to the QB.

Barwin + Mario is a much better package than Barwin + Reed, right now. There is a good chance that Reed can improve in 2012 & be as good as Mario..... or there is a chance that Barwin can be as good as Mario & Reed be as good as Barwin.

But there is as good a chance that Reed, or JjWatt will hit that sophomore slump. It's more likely that they won't hit that slump if Mario is the focus of the OL.

Again, it's just my opinion & it's obvious not everyone agrees. But neither Barwin or Reed was elite (JjWatt was elite), so you're hoping they will be elite in 2012. You need a high draft pick, or an elite pass rushing FA (which do not normally hit FA) to hedge your bets.
Old 02-05-2012   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
IMO, it's simple. If Andre wasn't expected to come back, then WR is a big need. We'll get someone in FA & we'll pick a high draft pick & a low draft pick. FAs, just like the draft, you don't know what you're going to get.....Randy Moss to Oakland/Randy Moss to New England. Draft picks are pretty much the same. Tedd Ginn Jr, Robert Meachum, Darius Heyward-BAy(sp), so you have to load up & hedge your bets.

We were still a top 5 offense without Andre, but you're silly if you think this team is not better with him.

Same goes for Mario. Like it or not, the rest of the league sees him as a dominant pass rusher. He might not put out the "effort" some would like to see on every play, but you don't run at him. He contains the backside & he gets to the QB.

Barwin + Mario is a much better package than Barwin + Reed, right now. There is a good chance that Reed can improve in 2012 & be as good as Mario..... or there is a chance that Barwin can be as good as Mario & Reed be as good as Barwin.

But there is as good a chance that Reed, or JjWatt will hit that sophomore slump. It's more likely that they won't hit that slump if Mario is the focus of the OL.

Again, it's just my opinion & it's obvious not everyone agrees. But neither Barwin or Reed was elite (JjWatt was elite), so you're hoping they will be elite in 2012. You need a high draft pick, or an elite pass rushing FA (which do not normally hit FA) to hedge your bets.
I think an elite QB , shut down CB , Elite LT , and an elite pass rusher are are endangered spieces on the FA/ trade market and there's a reason why .

Off the top of my head in recent years

Drew Brees ... FA
Jared Allen ... trade
Jason Peters ... trade
Champ Bailey ... trade
Old 02-05-2012   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think an elite QB , shut down CB , Elite LT , and an elite pass rusher are are endangered spieces on the FA/ trade market and there's a reason why .

Off the top of my head in recent years

Drew Brees ... FA
Jared Allen ... trade
Jason Peters ... trade
Champ Bailey ... trade
Nnamdi Asomugha was thought to be a shutdown corner. He is another example of FA acquisitions not always working out. Doesn't matter the reason, it happens.

Jjo was not considered a shutdown corner in Cincy, in fact he was thought to be their #2 CB behind Leon Hall. He outperformed all expectations.
Old 02-05-2012   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Even still.. you put your best players on the field. If K.W. has better grasp of the play-book, you go with his sure hands. Let the rook play spot duty 'till we are sure he can contribute. Bryant Johnson is a good example, 1st round pick in 2003 (17th overall) but didn't work out.

The biggest difference between this draft & others, unless we cut KDub, Sean Cody, Wade Smith..... our 1st round pick is going to have to earn a starter position.
I think we're saying the same thing. No one, not even our 1st round pick, is guaranteed a starting job as in years past. And that's a good thing. It means we've assembled a very solid team.

Having said that, we should draft with the idea that our 1st round pick will give the current starter a good, hard, run for his money. And he should, at least make the current #2 guy very nervous about his status on the depth chart.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Nnamdi Asomugha was thought to be a shutdown corner. He is another example of FA acquisitions not always working out. Doesn't matter the reason, it happens.

Jjo was not considered a shutdown corner in Cincy, in fact he was thought to be their #2 CB behind Leon Hall. He outperformed all expectations.
I'm not sure Oakland would have let Nnambi go if he was in his prime . The key was Smith making the deal with the player on the rise for less money .
Old 02-05-2012   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I'm not sure Oakland would have let Nnambi go if he was in his prime . The key was Smith making the deal with the player on the rise for less money .
The key was Smith not acting like a love sick puppy & letting the FA define when a deal will or will not be done, thereby missing out on the other quality FAs.

basically I'm agreeing with you, just augmenting your point. (msr & all that)
Old 02-05-2012   #52
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
The key was Smith not acting like a love sick puppy & letting the FA define when a deal will or will not be done, thereby missing out on the other quality FAs.

basically I'm agreeing with you, just augmenting your point. (msr & all that)
Yep ... Rick read his Consumer Reports .
Old 02-05-2012   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

JPP is a stud can't have too many pass rushers. Now you can see why....

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 02-05-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2012   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
He is.

But Eli got rushed, hit, smaked, & sacked more often than Brady did. The Giants pass rush let me down.... till the end of the game.

New England doesn't have the pass rushers the Giants have & they made Eli work for that Super Bowl.

But I do get, & agree, with your point.
Old 02-06-2012   #55
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...and yet some want to let MW go elsewhere....
if he leaves - no matter why - we better draft his replacement in the first 3 picks.
Old 02-06-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
if he leaves - no matter why - we better draft his replacement in the first 3 picks.
What doesn't make sense.... these draft guys know that losing Mario creates a big need @ outside pass rusher

Truth is we'll be looking for an outside pass-rusher in FA as well, & the top pass rusher in FA will be off limits. We'll be trying to replace Mario with players we know aren't as good.
Old 02-06-2012   #57
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Didn't they?

Connor Barwin- Round 2
Brooks Reed- Round 2
Old 02-06-2012   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Didn't they?

Connor Barwin- Round 2
Brooks Reed- Round 2
Both those guys are great. But I don't see them as Mario's replacement. Mario, Barwin, Reed..... that's a good rotation.

Barwin, Reed, Nading..... is not.

If I thought Barwin or Reed were going to play like CM III in 2012 I can kind of see your argument. But I don't. We need to draft a Von Miller type prospect..... a CM III kind of guy... a Harrison.... a beast coming off the edge.

Or just resign Mario.

Before we get to the Mario is not "those guys" argument, look at CM III's numbers this year, with no help. That's where Mario has been. No help on the line (Barwin got hurt last year) & no help in the secondary (we got our first coverage sack in the MW era in 2011).
Old 02-06-2012   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have seen several people indicate wanting Griffin or Luck or even Manning.

But the difference is that those are far fetched if not impossible scenarios. Grabbing Curry is verrrrry doable..

I don't agree with OLB in the first, I'm just sayin...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #60
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Didn't they?

Connor Barwin- Round 2
Brooks Reed- Round 2
If these two are good, how come having all three isn't better??

Let me ask another way (and I know this is tough, but try to take relative salaries out of your decision-making); if Mario returns do you think either of these guys would start ahead of him?

Man, the three of them in a OLB rotation! Wade would be drooling - no - probably IS drooling at the havok they will wreak from week to week.

I know I am.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read