Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-02-2012   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texan Post 2012 Senior Bowl Mock Draft

Without Free Agent to be Mario Williams:

First Round: Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall, 6'3 3/8" 265

Explosive pass rusher with elite length, high ceiling, lower cost option to maintain quality 3-4 pass rushing fleet & resign other key free agents.

Second Round: Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6'2 1/8" 220

Experienced, NFL ready, size/speed/hands/route combination. Bright, eager teammate, rises to top of competition, ideal #2 to Andre Johnson.

Third Round: Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina, 6'0" 203

First round talent vs small school competition. Ballhawk. Physical & competitive. Both long & short area recovery speed. Long arms, big hands, tremendous instincts ideal #2 CB for Texans.

Fourth Round: Isaiah Pead, RB/Returner, Cincinnati, 5'10 193

Premium return man who can also save roster spot in back-up RB duties. In the same mold as Joshua Cribbs who went undrafted, now return game is costing teams playoff games stock in reliable, playmaking returners a premium.

Fifth Round: Levy Adcock, OT, 6'5" 322

Where's the beef is here with next two picks. ZBS style OL who may compete immediately for LG duties. In time starter material immediate swing tackle.

6th Round: Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina, 6'5" 324

Disruptive, nasty-streak, unblock-able at times, will require double team next level. Adds strength to inside while Curry adds speed outside.

7th Round: David Paulson, TE, Oregon, 6'4" 250

Complete TE in Kubiak mold who is willing, effective blocker both on line & downfield, reliable hands, knack of finding seam/separate in coverage. Excellent red zone target, in Dwight Clark mold.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan Post 2012 Senior Bowl Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Explosive pass rusher with elite length, high ceiling, lower cost option to maintain quality 3-4 pass rushing fleet & resign other key free agents.

Experienced, NFL ready, size/speed/hands/route combination. Bright, eager teammate, rises to top of competition, ideal #2 to Andre Johnson.

First round talent vs small school competition. Ballhawk. Physical & competitive. Both long & short area recovery speed. Long arms, big hands, tremendous instincts ideal #2 CB for Texans.

Premium return man who can also save roster spot in back-up RB duties. In the same mold as Joshua Cribbs who went undrafted, now return game is costing teams playoff games stock in reliable, playmaking returners a premium.

Where's the beef is here with next two picks. ZBS style OL who may compete immediately for LG duties. In time starter material immediate swing tackle.

Disruptive, nasty-streak, unblock-able at times, will require double team next level. Adds strength to inside while Curry adds speed outside.

Complete TE in Kubiak mold who is willing, effective blocker both on line & downfield, reliable hands, knack of finding seam/separate in coverage. Excellent red zone target, in Dwight Clark mold.
Nice! Your first 3 picks are money, and the others are definitely not slouches.

1) Curry- dude has pass rush stud written all over him. Has the athleticism and the football sense to make an impact right away.

2) Criner- I have a hard time pegging Criner. I want to like him, but I think he gets overrated at times. However, the size is there, the talent is there, so if he can just stay on the field, he is worth a 2nd round pick. I would like Texans to take a chance on a big red zone target, so I like this pick a lot.

3) Norman is undoubtedly one of the biggest winners of the all star game circuit. The guy has great size and athleticism, just needs a little polishing. While corner may not be a need for the Texans any more, you dont pass on talent.

4) Pead.. I just dont like him. I like the idea of a backup running back, and I like the idea of a returner, but I just dont like him. He has speed, but I dont see him creating- I see the line opening a lot of holes.

5) I dont know a lot about Adock, but you are money with lineman. Nice pick.

6) Hicks worries me, but a developmental NT this late is a good idea. Hicks could be special, but he was a nobody before a couple weeks ago.

7) I like the Paulson pick. Solid player, fits the Texans' mold of TEs.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You had the same idea I had with the 1st round pick .
Old 02-02-2012   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
You had the same idea I had with the 1st round pick .
Great Minds Think Alike

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-02-2012   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Nice! Your first 3 picks are money, and the others are definitely not slouches.

1) Curry- dude has pass rush stud written all over him. Has the athleticism and the football sense to make an impact right away.

2) Criner- I have a hard time pegging Criner. I want to like him, but I think he gets overrated at times. However, the size is there, the talent is there, so if he can just stay on the field, he is worth a 2nd round pick. I would like Texans to take a chance on a big red zone target, so I like this pick a lot.

3) Norman is undoubtedly one of the biggest winners of the all star game circuit. The guy has great size and athleticism, just needs a little polishing. While corner may not be a need for the Texans any more, you dont pass on talent.

4) Pead.. I just dont like him. I like the idea of a backup running back, and I like the idea of a returner, but I just dont like him. He has speed, but I dont see him creating- I see the line opening a lot of holes.

5) I dont know a lot about Adock, but you are money with lineman. Nice pick.

6) Hicks worries me, but a developmental NT this late is a good idea. Hicks could be special, but he was a nobody before a couple weeks ago.

7) I like the Paulson pick. Solid player, fits the Texans' mold of TEs.
Thanks for your positive feedback, to reassure you regarding Pead & Hicks (not in our upcoming mock) I'll just say the following:

4) Pead..I just couldn't resist a positive game changing return guy in 4th rd. & special teams is a point of concern.
6) at least I'm not spending a 1st on a guy we haven't seen who isn't anymore raw that can still move up-field & penetrate the pocket. I think his off field issues can be addressed, contract restrictions, value is off the chart. Plus Texans need someone with an edge who can push Cody island.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-02-2012   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great Minds Think Alike
I went OLB , G , NT , WR/TE , WR .

I think the Giants added two DE's and a DT after they won the SB in 2007 with a dominant DL .

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...3410&type=team
Old 02-02-2012   #7
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Is Brooks Reed not good enough to be a starter for us? And I'd rather take a WR in the first, and one later on, but not later than the forth round.
Old 02-02-2012   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Is Brooks Reed not good enough to be a starter for us? And I'd rather take a WR in the first, and one later on, but not later than the forth round.
They won because of the defense and if Mario leaves who will be the backup .
Old 02-02-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

BL, you mocked two guys that I had in my latest mock in Hicks and Pead and in the same rounds...

Hicks, Pead, and Wright are my three major targets for this upcoming draft. I think they are going to be really good on the next level.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
BL, you mocked two guys that I had in my latest mock in Hicks and Pead and in the same rounds...

Hicks, Pead, and Wright are my three major targets for this upcoming draft. I think they are going to be really good on the next level.
I would select Wright if he's there & Texans resign Mario Williams

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-02-2012   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I think the Texans will shy away from Floyd so that leaves Wright . I had to go back and look what I did . I think OLB , G/C , DL , WR , are priorities for the draft .

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89250
Old 02-02-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah...And I think he will be there....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Curry- I'm OK with this pick. Not sure how he transitions to a 5-2 defense. You probably could get the same player (Cam Johnson, Bequette in the 3rd)
2. Criner- Good pick, he looks NFL ready to me.
3. Norman- Love this pick. Big physical CB that is able to flip his hips and run.
4. Pead- Love this pick, Immediately makes huge KR/PR upgrade. Ward is going to walk and Pead is exactly the type of change of pace RB that I want on the Texans. Also a good 3rd down back, good hands. Hope he's there in the 4th rd.
5. Adcock- Dont really like this pick. He had a bad Sr. yr. Not really physical/mobile. A bad combination for a NFL OL.
6. Hicks- Love this pick. Hope he's there.
7. Paulson- Good pick. Do you think his all star performances dropped Paulson from the 4th rd spot you had him going in. To a 7th rd fringe roster kinda guy now?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #14
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

This would be a great draft it it happened this way. But, I don't think they will go OLB in the 1st even if Mario leaves. I do think Curry is going to be a good one in the NFL and I think he does fit the Texans type of player (relentless, hustles, leader). However, if he's there for them in the 1st, it may be just too tempting!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Is there a thread somewhere, where you & the other draftniks discussed & reached a consensus about team needs.. FA retention, & that kind of thing?

Do we think a late first round OLB can be the dynamic pass rusher we need? Are we expecting more from Barwin & Reed... where this first rounder would actually play behind both Barwin & Reed?

Did we conclude that we do not need interior offensive line talent?

Or is this just your take on team needs?

Not trying to be rude, just asking.
Old 02-02-2012   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Is there a thread somewhere, where you & the other draftniks discussed & reached a consensus about team needs.. FA retention, & that kind of thing?

Do we think a late first round OLB can be the dynamic pass rusher we need? Are we expecting more from Barwin & Reed... where this first rounder would actually play behind both Barwin & Reed?

Did we conclude that we do not need interior offensive line talent?

Or is this just your take on team needs?

Not trying to be rude, just asking.
I would imagine Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak, all refreshed from vacation in Hawaii, are evaluating current roster assigning grades, prioritizing needs then applying everything together under the salary cap. How much can we afford to spend on OLB position, for example. It's almost as big of question as the man himself. Taking this into consideration is just one option that keeps position of strength without breaking the cap so other Texans can be re-signed, like Center Chris Myers & OG Mike Brisel just to name a couple since your focus is offensive linemen.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-02-2012   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I would imagine Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak, all refreshed from vacation in Hawaii, are evaluating current roster assigning grades, prioritizing needs then applying everything together under the salary cap. How much can we afford to spend on OLB position, for example. It's almost as big of question as the man himself. Taking this into consideration is just one option that keeps position of strength without breaking the cap so other Texans can be re-signed, like Center Chris Myers & OG Mike Brisel just to name a couple since your focus is offensive linemen.
Saving money while keeping the unit strong .
Old 02-02-2012   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I know you guys do this "mock draft" stuff for fun, I was wondering how far you guys take it..... I used to stay up late nights in dark rooms playing dungeons & dragons.. did y'all get together and make these decisions, as if y'all were Rick, Gary, & Cal?
Old 02-02-2012   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=beerlover;1893763]Without Free Agent to be Mario Williams:

Even with Mario leaving I don't like pick. Doubtful he's BPA and Barwin/Reed have proven themselves worthy of another shot. Even if it's another OL pick and not a top flight skill guy they've got to get some blue chip talent on the offensive side. Got a couple more names to research but I liked your other mocks better.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=TimeKiller;1894066]
Quote:

Even with Mario leaving I don't like pick. Doubtful he's BPA and Barwin/Reed have proven themselves worthy of another shot. Even if it's another OL pick and not a top flight skill guy they've got to get some blue chip talent on the offensive side. Got a couple more names to research but I liked your other mocks better.
Curry is gonna be another Cushing on the field and has been moving up boards all season. If Mario is gone few will want to depend on last season's roster guys to back up Reed and Barwin. Curry does not have to start to be our first pick. Our starters are sound except WR2. BL addresses that need in round two.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read