Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-31-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default T Dilfer what is he thinking. QB AFC South ranking

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...s-quarterbacks

Hall of Fame Level (top level)

Peyton Manning, Colts: “May not be back in 2012, but his legacy is entirely secure. From pure performance -- i.e., discounting number of Super Bowls discussion -- will be considered the best QB of his generation.”

A Ring Away (third level)

Matt Schaub, Texans:“It's not unfair to say that the Texans would be a good bet to reach the Super Bowl had Schaub been healthy. He has limitations, but might be the best deep passer in the game. Good trajectory.”

Mostly Good (fourth level)

Matt Hasselbeck, Titans: “Proved that, when healthy, he can still lead a winning NFL team. That's the league perception of him and I think it's fair.”

Short Leash (sixth level)

Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars: “He needs more weapons around him, but looked overmatched as a rookie. Might have been a mistake to start him.”

Curtis Painter, Colts: “Almost certainly a backup to enter 2012.”

Intriguing wild cards

Jake Locker, Titans: “Great skill set, but accuracy questions remain. Can he beat out Hasselbeck if the Titans feel they can be a playoff team?”

T.J. Yates, Texans: “Got great experience, and is now clearly a prospect in terms of league perception.”
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: T Dilfer what is he thinking. QB AFC South ranking

It's not all about arm strength. He is very accurate on the deep throws and usually is at the top of the league in "big" plays. I agree with his assessment.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It's not all about arm strength. He is very accurate on the deep throws and usually is at the top of the league in "big" plays. I agree with his assessment.
lol I think I actually pulled this stat at one time. but Ive always thought of Schaub as a mid range thrower.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #4
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

No issue here on the rankings. I do think AJ makes Matty S. look better than he should at times, but there are receivers on the team that make him look worse. All teams have their go-to person that help the QB succeed. Satan Manning had plenty of play makers throughout his years.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #5
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Although he was a sorry quarterback, Dilfer knows his **** and is one of the better analyst out there.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Nonsense! Schaub is "average(i.e. 16th best)" at best. I heard it on the radio, so it must be true.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Nonsense! Schaub is "average(i.e. 16th best)" at best. I heard it on the radio, so it must be true.
Well now you're reading the opposite on the internet. Get with the 21st century, man. Internet always trumps radio.
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2012   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Idk bout bombing 'em, he certainly does it from time to time but as far as mid range goes Schaub is deadly accurate.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #9
machineo
Rookie

Rep Power: 234 machineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respected

Best at cross body deep throws maybe.
machineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #10
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3783 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

he's pretty accurate on deep throws but I've seen receivers have to slow down quite a bit after beating the CB/safety because Schaub's under throws the ball.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Deep throws are not just about arm strength...Sometimes too much arm strength can actually hurt you on a deep throw.

I've said this a million times, but arm strength is a bigger factor in the short passing game and being able to consistently fit the ball into tight windows. This is one of the things that I believe has hurt Schaub throwing the ball down by the goal line.

But I don't see anything wrong with what dilfer says. Schaub is accurate, he knows the where everyone is, can read defenses and find the open man. That alone puts him on a higher level than a lot of QB's in the NFL despite what ever physical shortcomings he has.

But if we happen to find someone better, I don't think he is untouchable.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Curtis Painter, Colts: “Almost certainly a backup to enter 2012.”
Rose colored glasses off & everything, I thought Dan O did a better job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Even so, he said "the best" He might be among the best.... a stretch if you ask me..... but "the best" c'mon Rey
Old 02-01-2012   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

they consider those +20 yard passes, which we get plenty of in the stat column.. Schaub > 35 yards in the air good luck, the receiver is usually waiting.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Even so, he said "the best" He might be among the best.... a stretch if you ask me..... but "the best" c'mon Rey
I guess that was one of those 'the brain filling in letters monents' because that was Ryan...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
Although he was a sorry quarterback, Dilfer knows his **** and is one of the better analyst out there.
This is wrong. Trent Dilfer is considered a terrible analyst, and tries to talk himself up as a great former QB as well when on TV.
Old 02-02-2012   #16
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2096 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Dilfer is very self-deprecating. I don't think he's ever said anything positive about his play other than that he had to overcome a lack of physical talent to play in the NFL, which is 100% true.
Quick II Draw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...s-quarterbacks

A Ring Away (third level)

Matt Schaub, Texans:“It's not unfair to say that the Texans would be a good bet to reach the Super Bowl had Schaub been healthy. He has limitations, but might be the best deep passer in the game. Good trajectory.”

T.J. Yates, Texans: “Got great experience, and is now clearly a prospect in terms of league perception.”
"Best deep passer"...? Maybe Dilfer's emphasis is on Schaub knowing when to throw it and, perhaps more importantly, what he does pre-throw to help his guys get open. That his receivers have to wait on the ball speaks to inadequate arm strength. That they CAN wait on the ball and yet still make the catch says his play action fakes and ability to look off the safety help get the receivers wiiiiide open in the first place. So maybe more to this "deep passer" thing than arm strength. And goodness knows I've knocked Schaub's arm strength myself in the past.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub doesn't have a good deep ball. Kubiak's scheme gets a few one on one shots deep each game and Schaub looks good when AJ makes a play. Schaub has an outstanding intermediate game and manages the game well to create those deep shots, but I've seen a lot of QB's who do a better job at attacking deep down the field.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Schaub doesn't have a good deep ball. Kubiak's scheme gets a few one on one shots deep each game and Schaub looks good when AJ makes a play. Schaub has an outstanding intermediate game and manages the game well to create those deep shots, but I've seen a lot of QB's who do a better job at attacking deep down the field.
Schaub does an excellent job of converting those opportunities downfield. He rarely misses the open receiver anywhere and that remains true on the deep passes. The underthrows are good risk/reward management when a guy has 8 yards on the coverage, 45 yards downfield.

However, there are certainly QBs that are better able to hit a WR in stride, deep downfield, when the receiver may only have 1 step on the coverage.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how he can convert those one on ones when/if they get a deep threat that can run a route and catch the ball opposite AJ. Completing deep balls in tight windows to Jacoby and KWalter is a near impossibility (for different reasons).
Old 02-02-2012   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought I logged onto Bizarro World's forums when I read through a thread that said Trent Dilfer is a great football analyst and Matt Schaub is the "best deep passer in the game".

Thank you b0ng and Vinny for restoring some sense of sanity to this world.

And as far as Dilfer's take that Manning "will be considered the best QB of his generation"...

One of the best of his generation, sure. But the best? Debatable. Dilfer is not of the authority to make such absolutes true.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read