Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-31-2012   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's your rankings of WRs in this draft class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Which NFL teams might look for a receiver early, anybody knows?
Lots... but it also depends on who goes where in free agency. All these teams could fill a #1 or #2 WR role:

Rams - Likely losing Lloyd in FA
Vikings
Browns
Bucs
Redskins
Jags
Panthers - Steve Smith is gettin old
Chiefs - if they lose Bowe
Bills - if they lose Stevie Johnson
Jets - if they lose plax
Eagles if they lose Djax
Chargers - if they lose Vjax
Bears
Broncos - maybe
Texans
Old 01-31-2012   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would any of those teams have interest in DeSean Jackson; any rumors or semi-serious possibility?
I have no idea what teams have interest in him .... I dont see him as a fit for the Texans because of the cost and their cap space. I think he's going to want a payday more significant than the Texans could offer .... Unless MW is playing in another uniform next season - Then all bets are off.

If one of those teams were to pick him up in FA , you could likely strike them from the list of teams taking a first round WR .... again there is the possibility a teams see's value in a certain prospect and takes them.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When does FA start? And how long and what is the process?
A link would be fine.
I'm a little tired and it would help not having to dig for something I know many of you draftniks and FA buffs already know.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I have no idea what teams have interest in him .... I dont see him as a fit for the Texans because of the cost and their cap space. I think he's going to want a payday more significant than the Texans could offer .... Unless MW is playing in another uniform next season - Then all bets are off.

If one of those teams were to pick him up in FA , you could likely strike them from the list of teams taking a first round WR .... again there is the possibility a teams see's value in a certain prospect and takes them.
Jax probably have cap space, does it make sense that they would go after a FA WR?
Old 01-31-2012   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Lots... but it also depends on who goes where in free agency. All these teams could fill a #1 or #2 WR role:

Rams - Likely losing Lloyd in FA
Vikings
Browns
Bucs
Redskins
Jags
Panthers - Steve Smith is gettin old
Chiefs - if they lose Bowe
Bills - if they lose Stevie Johnson
Jets - if they lose plax
Eagles if they lose Djax
Chargers - if they lose Vjax
Bears
Broncos - maybe
Texans
What are the chance that some of these guys trading places or get signed by a team on this list.

Steve Smith didn't look old at all to me when I watched him play (in about 10 games). Heck, I would love for the Texans to sign him.
Old 01-31-2012   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When does FA start? And how long and what is the process?
A link would be fine.
I'm a little tired and it would help not having to dig for something I know many of you draftniks and FA buffs already know.
Key Dates -

Feb. 20 - Teams can begin applying franchise and transition tags to players

March 5 - Deadline for teams to apply franchise and transition tags

March 13 - Free agency begins at 4 p.m.

Quote:
Jax probably have cap space, does it make sense that they would go after a FA WR?
Thats a good question. There are some pretty good recievers in this FA class ... List Here.

Several teams are at risk of losing good talent at the position. Any of those teams who lose in FA will likely look to fill those voids early in the draft.

Indy (round2 at the earliest)- Reggie Wayne.
NE - I think they resign Welker.
San Diego - Vincent Jackson. Not real sure what they do as Jackson is a headcase.
Philly - DeSean Jackson
KC - Dwayne Bowe
New Orleans - Marques Colston & Robert Meachem
Buffalo - Steve Johnson
St.Louis - Brandon Lloyd
NY Giants - Mario Manningham
Pittsburgh - Mike Wallace (RFA)

Old 01-31-2012   #27
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What are the chance that some of these guys trading places or get signed by a team on this list.
A good chance of course. Depends on cap issues and such for the teams though. I didn't mention the Saints because they don't pick until the end of the 2nd, but if Colston leaves, they could pick up another WR looking to earn a ring. It's a fluid situation of course

Quote:
Steve Smith didn't look old at all to me when I watched him play (in about 10 games). Heck, I would love for the Texans to sign him.
I don't mean to knock Smith, but he is simply getting old and there is no heir to their #1 WR spot. Same deal as the Texans, AJ is getting old and we have no one to replace him. However, the Texans don't have nearly as many needs across the board, so it's not a given that the Panthers will take a WR in the first two rounds (they don't have a 3rd pick). If I were them, I would go with defense in the 1st and 2nd because their offense did put up a lot of points last year.
Old 01-31-2012   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Appreciate all the infos and inputs.

I guess we'll just have to wait for FA to happen then.
Old 01-31-2012   #29
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Alright brethren here is my WR Rankings for the upcoming NFL Draft!!!

1. Justin Blackmon Oklahoma St. 6-1 215 4.55
2. Michael Floyd Notre Dame 6-3 225 4.55
3. Kendall Wright - Baylor 5'11 190 4.35
4. Alshon Jeffery South Carolina 6-4 229 4.60
5. Reuben Randle L.S.U. 6-4 208 4.45
6. Dwight Jones UNC 6'4 220 4.50
7. Joe Adams Arkansas 6'0" 190 4.39
8. Gerrell Robinson Arizona St. 6'3" 215 4.50
9. Tommy Streeter Miami 6'5" 215 4.45
10. Patrick Edwards U of H 5'9' 175 4.35
Old 01-31-2012   #30
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Is receiver their primary need (the teams that you listed) in the first round?
I expect a large number of these teams to take a WR before our second pick. At least the wide receivers we've been wanting
Old 02-01-2012   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Appreciate all the infos and inputs.

I guess we'll just have to wait for FA to happen then.
Yeah , a lot depends on FA .... and when it comes to the Texans , everything revolves around how they handle MW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
I expect a large number of these teams to take a WR before our second pick. At least the wide receivers we've been wanting
I expect the same from most of those teams with one of their top two picks at this point. But until we get thru FA , its pretty much impossible to figure out what many will do in the draft.

Old 02-01-2012   #32
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Blackmon
2. Floyd
3. Sanu
4. Jones
5. Wright
6. Randle
7. Jeffry
8. Quick
9. Givens
10. A.J. Jenkins
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #33
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Alright brethren here is my WR Rankings for the upcoming NFL Draft!!!

1. Justin Blackmon Oklahoma St. 6-1 215 4.55
2. Michael Floyd Notre Dame 6-3 225 4.55
3. Kendall Wright - Baylor 5'11 190 4.35
4. Alshon Jeffery South Carolina 6-4 229 4.60
5. Reuben Randle L.S.U. 6-4 208 4.45
6. Dwight Jones UNC 6'4 220 4.50
7. Joe Adams Arkansas 6'0" 190 4.39
8. Gerrell Robinson Arizona St. 6'3" 215 4.50
9. Tommy Streeter Miami 6'5" 215 4.45
10. Patrick Edwards U of H 5'9' 175 4.35
I'm a big believer in Touchdown Tommy if we can snag him in the 3rd round. Highly coachable, just starting to really use the most of his techniques, and has sick game speed on the vertical route that doesn't necessarily show up in the 40, would be a great deep threat.

Last edited by NastyNate; 02-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BL,
Your list is a very good list. I'm interested to know what other draftniks top 5-10 look like.

Your list consists of young Hines Ward and Greg Jennings type WR's.

My List has Jennings/Antonio Brown type WR's. I think one way to quickly improve the ST's is to draft a TY Hilton/Joe Adams/Demps type slot WR that can play outside somme too.

Hopefully Floyd or Jeffrey are there late in the 1st. In the 3rd 4th rd taking a White/Hilton/Adams would be playing with house money. It would take the biggest weakness and turn it into a possible strength.

I'm going to put out a Texans post combine mock soon. Check it out and tell me what you think.
When breaking down WR prospects one thing I look for that I don't see posted enough as an area of strength in a players game is his ability to form a trusted bond with his QB. Chemistry is really, really important especially moving on into the NFL, is how well you work with others, adapt to a system & can be counted on in crunch time. I would throw a lot of measureables away if a specific player has a deficit in this area. Just something to think about SB when evaluating talent that might help you, not that you really need any

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #35
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I'm a big believer in Touchdown Tommy if we can snag him in the 3rd round. Highly coachable, just starting to really use the most of his techniques, and has sick game speed on the vertical route that doesn't necessarily show up in the 40, would be a great deep threat.
The only video I saw of him he showed himself to be a body catcher. Personally after Jacoby Jones I couldn't bring myself to take another highly athletic, potential-filled body catcher.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #36
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
The only video I saw of him he showed himself to be a body catcher. Personally after Jacoby Jones I couldn't bring myself to take another highly athletic, potential-filled body catcher.
He will actually go up and get the ball/use his length on a lot of catches, he started displaying this later in the season with more field time. he's really only been a starter one year and the progression has been very measureable. The upside is there, he has a ton of raw talent and the measureables/physical abilities that Rick Smith has been known to look at.

17.6 YPC and 8 TD's in the first true season he played. Those are damn near identical numbers to what Marques Colston did in his senior year.
Old 02-01-2012   #37
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Justin Blackmon
2) Michael Floyd
3) Alshon Jeffery
4) Kendall Wright
5) Ryan Broyles
6) Nick Toon
7) Mohamed Sanu
8) Dwight Jones
9) Marvin McNutt
10) Jordan White

5 small school receivers to watch come draft day-

1) Brian Quick, Appalachian State
2) Thomas Mayo, California (PA)
3) Tim Bedford, Tennessee State
4) Brandon Bostick, Newberry
5) Dale Moss, South Dakota State
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
When breaking down WR prospects one thing I look for that I don't see posted enough as an area of strength in a players game is his ability to form a trusted bond with his QB. Chemistry is really, really important especially moving on into the NFL, is how well you work with others, adapt to a system & can be counted on in crunch time. I would throw a lot of measureables away if a specific player has a deficit in this area. Just something to think about SB when evaluating talent that might help you, not that you really need any
Agreed & why I would not be shocked to see Cleveland choose RG3 and then Wright.
Old 02-02-2012   #39
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Kendall Wright and I hope the he falls to us he is a game changer supreme and if he is gone then Dwight Jones or Rueben Randall would be my next targets.
Old 02-02-2012   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I haven't been able to watch Baylor much this year (and whatever I saw from the year before I don't seem to recall much), but it seems like Wright lines up in the slot quite a bit. And when he lines up wide, I haven't noticed him running a deep route. But then again, I have only watch a game and a half.

(I did watch more than that, but wasn't concentrating on Wright.)

Can you guys tell me a little more about him?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read