Hall of Fame
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Rep Power: 128807
First Mock Draft
This is my first mock of the offseason. Obviously will be tough to mock until we get through FA, but I'm just going forward here with assumptions. My assumptions here are we re-sign Ward, Dreessen, Myers, and Brisiel on offense. We also give Foster a new deal. Defensively, we re-sign Dobbins and tender Demps. We also re-sign Rackers.
Obviously this means we do not re-sign Mario. I hate that and it will kill me if we don't, but it is what it is. We can use that $15 million salary to re-sign some other guys (Foster, Myers, and Brisiel) and we already have guys in place to replace him (somewhat). Also let Jason Allen walk, so that means it's do or die time for Kareem.
So, here goes.....
1. Mohamed Sanu - WR, Rutgers
2. Brandon Thompson - NT, Clemson
3. Donnie Fletcher - CB/FS, Boston College
4. David Molk - C, Michigan
5. Miles Burris - OLB, San Diego State
6. Greg McCoy - CB, TCU
7. Jarvis Jones - OT, Oklahoma
- 1) WR is a huge need, we all know it. Sanu is a slight reach here, but I think he's the best guy available to be honest. We could trade down into the top of the 2nd and still grab him, but I'm not going to mock that. I'm down on Jeffery and Wright is more of a slot WR. Dwight Jones is a possibility in the 2nd, but I'd take Sanu in the 1st before Jones in the 2nd. If all else fails, then Jordan White in the 3rd.
Also considered Cordy Glenn (G/T, Georgia), Peter Konz (C, Wisconsin), Chase Minnifield (CB, Virginia), and Mark Barron (SS, Alabama).
- 2) I think Thompson would be an excellent pick here, he would do very well under Phillips. He might not last this long so if he's gone then call it Josh Chapman from Alabama. Those of you that know me know that I'm down on 'big' NT's. I don't feel the need to explain further here. Drafting a guy here allows you to move Mitchell to DE where he's a more natural fit.
Also considered Dwight Jones (WR, North Carolina) and Kevin Zeitler (G, Wisconsin).
- 3) I think we need depth in the secondary and more talent if we let Allen go. I really like Fletcher as FS and that's where I'd put him with this pick. He can also play CB so you could let him compete for a job, but I'd prefer him a FS. Manning was a huge get last year, but I don't think he'll make it through his entire contract as a starter.
Also considered Jordan White (WR, Western Michigan), T.Y. Hilton (WR, FIU), Matt McCants (OT, UAB) and Kendall Reyes (DE, UConn).
- 4) Interior line is a big need, especially C. We need to add a quality C even if we re-sign Myers. I love Molk, he's a fantastic ZBS prospect. I think he would be a steal here to be honest. Could take over for Myers in a few years after a few years of NFL experience.
Also considered Joe Adams (WR/KR, Arkansas), Ryan Miller (G/T, Colorado), Trevor Guyton (DE, Cal), Cordarro Law (OLB, Southern Miss), Mychal Kendricks (ILB, Cal), Shaun Prater (CB, Iowa), and Tavon Wilson (SS, Illinois).
- 5) If we let Mario walk then we need to add another OLB. I think we need more of a true LB than a Rush-LB type considering who we have on the roster. Burris had a fantastic college career and I consider him one of the heavy sleepers at OLB this year. Another guy to consider here would be Cordarro Law, if he fell this far.
Did not really consider another position here. Maybe a guy like Austin Davis (QB, Southern Miss) if we wanted to add another QB or Isaiah Pead (RB, Cincinnati) if we wanted to add a RB.
- 6) I think we need to add a CB in this draft and a KR. Got Fletcher earlier, but I prefer him as a FS so we knock both out right here. McCoy is raw as a cover guy, but is an excellent return man. I think he could eventually develop into a Nickel guy.
Also considered Chris Rainey (WR/KR, Florida).
- 7) Obviously we need more depth on the O-Line so I address that again here. Jones has a ton of talent, but has not been able to stay healthy. This is the area in the draft where you take risks on guys and Jones is a risk. He could develop into a quality swing tackle and maybe even a RT, or he could never get healthy and bust out.
Also considered Randy Bullock (K, Texas A&M). If we don't re-sign Rackers.
"Those who stay will be champions."
- The Immortal Bo
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|