Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-26-2012   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Meet With Prospect ______, 2012 Edition

I figured we could use a thread to put all the confirmed contact between the Texans and prospects. I found a couple so far.

Quote:
Houston - Texas linebacker Keenan Robinson
http://www.walterfootball.com/senior...2meetings3.php

Quote:
Houston - Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams and Boston College cornerback Donnie Fletcher
http://www.walterfootball.com/senior...12meetings.php

Quote:
I spoke to the Bucs, Jaguars, Dolphins, Chiefs, Falcons, Texans, Chargers, Packers, Panthers, Browns, Seahawks, and there were more but I can’t recall them at the moment.
- Old Dominion DT/DE Ronnie Cameron
http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/...nal-2-jan-23rd
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #2
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13632 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Meet With Prospect ______, 2012 Edition

I posted this Tuesday night. It came via twitter:

@DraftCountdown #Washington DT Alameda Ta'amu told me that the #Texans have been showing a lot of interest. --
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a page called player / team observations on draftcountdown.com that list teams and players they have seen together. LINK

They show us to have visited
Mike Adams

Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia
Analysis
Strengths: Tremendous explosion, accelerates low with power. Relentless blindside pursuit, tracks down ball carriers on the other side of the field. Fast in a straight line. Excellent wide and bull rushes when quick off the snap. Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.

Weaknesses: Is slightly high cut and somewhat stiff in the hips, likely too stiff for 3-4 OLB consideration. Doesn't change directions well. Can be late off the snap. Has a history of serious injuries, including knee and pectoral. Needs more pass rush moves beyond wide and bull.

NFL Comparison: Tyler Brayton, Carolina Panthers

Derek Wolfe
I'm telling you this guy fits our mold.

Marvin Jones, WR, California
WR Marvin Jones was overshadowed a bit by Keenan Allen, but no one has made more spectacular catches along the sidelines than Jones, who has caught at least one pass in 37 straight games. In the bowl game, his chief contribution may be as a punt returner.

Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California
2010 Season
A second-team All-Pac-10 choice that started all 12 games at left tackle, anchoring an offensive line that blocked for 1,167-yard rusher Shane Vereen … earned a second-team spot on Phil Steele's postseason All-Pac-10 team and a first-team position on his mid-season All-Pac-10 squad … a member of the Jewish Sports Review's 2010 College Football All-America Team … recipient of team's Brick Muller Award as Cal's Most Valuable Offensive Lineman for the second straight year and winner of the team's Andy Smith Award as the Cal player with the most Big "C" time … an honorable mention Pac-10 All-Academic selection for the third consecutive season … selected as a second-team preseason All-Pac-10 choice by Athlon, Lindy's and Phil Steele, while Steele also listed him as the nation's No. 63 draft-eligible tackle.

Interesting that they are looking at OT's. A position no one thinks is a need. Adams is a definite first rounder so I wonder what they are thinking there. Maybe they are covering their bases in case they loose Breisal. Moving Winston inside to RG and adding Adams at LT would be sweet.
Old 01-26-2012   #4
vanknights2002
Rookie

Here's a video on Marvin Jones. Look at the catch he makes at 59 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boy0tkwcv-A
vanknights2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #5
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

We resigned Butler in the offseason right, how long was his contract for? They might not be too high on our latest young OLineman
Old 01-26-2012   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanknights2002 View Post
Here's a video on Marvin Jones. Look at the catch he makes at 59 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boy0tkwcv-A
Except for a few of his "spectacular" catches, he doesn't reach out to catch the ball very often, mostly letting them hit inside his body. Do coaches still teach the Diamond technique to receiver or what. I haven't seen anyone really use it at the pro level.

For those that don't know, the Diamond Technique is a way to easily catch passes that are thrown within catching distance. You put the tips of your thumbs and and forefingers together like your making a diamond and spread out your fingers, When the tip of the ball goes through the gap made by your hands the natural force of the ball will close your hands around it and stop it. Try it with your kids, they'll learn to catch extremely well extremely fast. The Diamond Tech is used for passes thrown above the waist, for lower passes you put the tips of your pinkies together and your hands in a "cradling position" I call it the cradling technique but I forgot what coach called it.
I taught my 10 year old nephew and the kid has been ripping up his little leagues since.
Old 01-27-2012   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
We resigned Butler in the offseason right, how long was his contract for? They might not be too high on our latest young OLineman
Butler signed for two years for right around 1mill each year. He will be a free agent in 2013.
Old 01-27-2012   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
There is a page called player / team observations on draftcountdown.com that list teams and players they have seen together. LINK

They show us to have visited
Mike Adams

Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia
Analysis
Strengths: Tremendous explosion, accelerates low with power. Relentless blindside pursuit, tracks down ball carriers on the other side of the field. Fast in a straight line. Excellent wide and bull rushes when quick off the snap. Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.

Weaknesses: Is slightly high cut and somewhat stiff in the hips, likely too stiff for 3-4 OLB consideration. Doesn't change directions well. Can be late off the snap. Has a history of serious injuries, including knee and pectoral. Needs more pass rush moves beyond wide and bull.

NFL Comparison: Tyler Brayton, Carolina Panthers

Derek Wolfe
I'm telling you this guy fits our mold.

Marvin Jones, WR, California
WR Marvin Jones was overshadowed a bit by Keenan Allen, but no one has made more spectacular catches along the sidelines than Jones, who has caught at least one pass in 37 straight games. In the bowl game, his chief contribution may be as a punt returner.

Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California
2010 Season
A second-team All-Pac-10 choice that started all 12 games at left tackle, anchoring an offensive line that blocked for 1,167-yard rusher Shane Vereen … earned a second-team spot on Phil Steele's postseason All-Pac-10 team and a first-team position on his mid-season All-Pac-10 squad … a member of the Jewish Sports Review's 2010 College Football All-America Team … recipient of team's Brick Muller Award as Cal's Most Valuable Offensive Lineman for the second straight year and winner of the team's Andy Smith Award as the Cal player with the most Big "C" time … an honorable mention Pac-10 All-Academic selection for the third consecutive season … selected as a second-team preseason All-Pac-10 choice by Athlon, Lindy's and Phil Steele, while Steele also listed him as the nation's No. 63 draft-eligible tackle.

Interesting that they are looking at OT's. A position no one thinks is a need. Adams is a definite first rounder so I wonder what they are thinking there. Maybe they are covering their bases in case they loose Breisal. Moving Winston inside to RG and adding Adams at LT would be sweet.
Agree! I won't be surprised if we take Wolfe, even at #26. They say he's climbing the draft boards.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Agree! I won't be surprised if we take Wolfe, even at #26. They say he's climbing the draft boards.
If we draft Wolfe do we not start out 1st round pick or bench Antonio Smith for him?

I can't envision a scenario where either of those things happens.
Old 01-30-2012   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
If we draft Wolfe do we not start out 1st round pick or bench Antonio Smith for him?

I can't envision a scenario where either of those things happens.
The Texans should be entering into era where the 1st rounder automatically starting from day 1 should be over.
Old 01-30-2012   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The Texans should be entering into era where the 1st rounder automatically starting from day 1 should be over.
Is there precedent for teams not starting their 1st round picks (aside from instances where you might sit a QB for a year)? Even the best teams in the NFL have holes where a 1st round pick is going to/should be better than the guy ahead of him.

Seems like a first round draft pick who can't start would be an indictment on your scouting more so than a statement of your depth/talent level.
Old 01-30-2012   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is there precedent for teams not starting their 1st round picks (aside from instances where you might sit a QB for a year)?

Seems to me that even the best teams in the NFL have holes where a 1st round pick is going to/should be better than the guy ahead of him.

Seems like drafting a guy in the first would be an indictment on your scouting moreso than a statement of your depth/talent level.
Steelers, Packers, Ravens and others have all picked players in the first round that sat behind others in the lineup their rookie years and came out fine. The last 10 picks in the first round are usually not guys that are garunteed to start unless those teams have a specific glaring hole that could be fixed by said rookie.

Not every superstar in the NFL starts out as one as a rookie.
Old 01-30-2012   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is there precedent for teams not starting their 1st round picks (aside from instances where you might sit a QB for a year)? Even the best teams in the NFL have holes where a 1st round pick is going to/should be better than the guy ahead of him.

Seems like a first round draft pick who can't start would be an indictment on your scouting more so than a statement of your depth/talent level.
If every year a team has a spot where a rookie is automatically better than what they have every single year then they are not good enough. Even with the salary cap and free agency, the better organizations are not running out rookies who don't have prove better than an existing player.

A late 1st or 2nd round WR is not just waltzing and taking Kevin Walter's job w/o excellent performance. We have gotten there and it is a good thing, not a bad one.
Old 01-31-2012   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jan. 27, 2012 12:02 p.m. - by Brandon Williams - CBS Sports

Aggies WR to meet with Texans
Texas A&M WR Jeff Fuller said that he would be meeting with Texans GM Rick Smith at next month's Combine in Indianapolis. Fuller (6'4, 217), who struggled with hamstring injuries during the 2011 season, said he was scheduled to meet with Smith during this week's Senior Bowl before but that meeting was cancelled and Smith departed to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, where the Texans staff is coaching the AFC team.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Martin said the Houston Texans have expressed the most interest in him so far, but several other teams have been in contact with him and agent Rick Smith as well.

That is Mike Martin DT Michigan. Here is link. I love this guy in the third round.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

I know this is the Texans MEET with _____ player but I thought I would keep it alive and add players they have reported interest with.

Here it says Texans Linked to Alameda Ta’Amu. Dont know how reliable the source is but thought it was worth mentioning.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Any news on who the Texans talked to at the combine?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Houston Texans have expressed interest in Texas A&M PK Randy Bullock and could take him in the 2012 NFL Draft if they do not re-sign free-agent PK Neil Rackers.
http://ewallstreeter.com/texans-have...-bullock-3403#

First team All-American, Groza award winner...Not bad...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Guess they aren't

I think we now know why they were interviewing OT's.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #20
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected

Illinois DB Tavon Wilson is scheduled to visit the Texans.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...=5688693&fhn=1
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read