Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-11-2012   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Walterfootball Mock Draft.

Quinn has made some plays, no doubt....

But we should have someone challenging him for his position because we can get better there...No one we currently have is going to even challenge him for playing time, and if you're not a pro bowler or an all pro that's not how it should be...

GQ has been pretty good overall, but he has not been phenomenal....There I said it...

It's not a "must replace him situation", but some competition back there would help...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #42
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Just updated:

Round 1: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
Round 2: Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
Round 3: Robert Lester, S, Alabama
Round 4: Trevor Guyton, DE/DT, California

unsure over the safety pick. again he uses the point of quinn not playing well which i disagree.

pretty happy with the other picks though
If this were how our draft went down, I'd be happy. I'd like an O-lineman in their but those first 3 picks are pretty good ones.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #43
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just updated:

Round 1: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
Round 2: Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
Round 3: Robert Lester, S, Alabama
Round 4: Trevor Guyton, DE/DT, California

unsure over the safety pick. again he uses the point of quinn not playing well which i disagree.

pretty happy with the other picks though

Considering how they have Jeffery rated a top 20 pick and then have the Texans picking him at #27, I'd be very happy with the draft if it fell this way. I just don't think Jeffery will last that long unless he has a bad Combine or something else comes out about him to make his stock fall.

As for the whole "Quinn experiment not working" thing, I'm not sure what Walter is seeing, but I don't think he is seeing the complete picture. Quinn has been a good SS for us this year and it's only his 1st year at the position. Will he ever get a lot of picks during a season? Probably not. Should we draft someone to give him competition and add depth to the team? Yes!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #44
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Quinn has made some plays, no doubt....

But we should have someone challenging him for his position because we can get better there...No one we currently have is going to even challenge him for playing time, and if you're not a pro bowler or an all pro that's not how it should be...

GQ has been pretty good overall, but he has not been phenomenal....There I said it...

It's not a "must replace him situation", but some competition back there would help...
what about Nolan once he returns from injury and demps hasn't been bad this year. considering we have other needs like o-line which he didn't address in the first 4 picks i think we can pass on safety this year. unless someone big drops like barron to the late 2nd (which is VERY doubtful)
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #45
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter updated his mock draft 1-18 and made one change to the Texans picks.

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Tommy Streeter-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

Walter previously had Robert Lester-FS going to us in the 3rd round. I like the new pick Tommy Streeter better. Streeter is young and raw but has tons of potential. He's tall, fast, great hands, very athletic, etc... he's got it all but only has 1 year of experience starting at Miami. He'd probably be 4th on the depth chart for us but I think he's worth the investment. He could be a stud WR in a couple years.
Old 01-18-2012   #46
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what about Nolan once he returns from injury and demps hasn't been bad this year. considering we have other needs like o-line which he didn't address in the first 4 picks i think we can pass on safety this year. unless someone big drops like barron to the late 2nd (which is VERY doubtful)
Like I said...

No one on the team is even going to challenge him for his position.

This draft should mostly be about value as we have the least amount of holes that we've ever had.

Therefore, if a safety falls to us in round whatever and we have them rated much higher than everyone else on the board...we should take them. I wouldn't avoid any position.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #47
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Tommy Streeter-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

Walter previously had Robert Lester-FS going to us in the 3rd round. I like the new pick Tommy Streeter better. Streeter is young and raw but has tons of potential. He's tall, fast, great hands, very athletic, etc... he's got it all but only has 1 year of experience starting at Miami. He'd probably be 4th on the depth chart for us but I think he's worth the investment. He could be a stud WR in a couple years.
I don't see the point of spending a 1st and 3rd on WRs. If we got Jeffery, I would prefer to address other needs in the 3rd and pickup a late round WR/PR/KR in the 5/6/7th. Get a LB in 3rd instead, we need some more depth there.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #48
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Tommy Streeter-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

I would be estatic with this draft.

Jeffery and Chapman are 10 yr starters in the NFL. Streeter has the ability to be better than Jeffery. Guyton should fit in well with Wades defense.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #49
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't see the point of spending a 1st and 3rd on WRs. If we got Jeffery, I would prefer to address other needs in the 3rd and pickup a late round WR/PR/KR in the 5/6/7th. Get a LB in 3rd instead, we need some more depth there.
I think Walters point is that we'd have the WR position solidified for years to come with great talent and depth. Streeter has great potential and all the ability to be a #1 in the NFL he just lacks the playing time. He's raw and will need some development but the investment is well worth the risk if you can get him in the 3rd, he'd be great value. Personally I don't think he's still available, I think he goes in the 2nd round based on his Combine and potential. I also think that AJ will have some say so in this decision. He goes back to Miami during the offseason and works out at the "U". I'm sure he knows Streeter and the Texans would be foolish not to at least ask his opinion of Streeter. Streeter could learn from the best.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 01-18-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2012   #50
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Walter updated his mock again on 01-25-12.

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Stephen Hill-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

The only change is Stephen Hill-WR from Georgia Tech instead of Tommy Streeter. Anyone know anything about Stephen Hill? Anyone think it's possible that we take 2 WR's in the first 3 rounds?
Old 01-25-2012   #51
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Stephen Hill-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

The only change is Stephen Hill-WR from Georgia Tech instead of Tommy Streeter. Anyone know anything about Stephen Hill? Anyone think it's possible that we take 2 WR's in the first 3 rounds?
I remember seeing a quote about Stephen Hill saying the way to find diamonds in the rough at the WR position was to look for WRs from running teams and teams with bad QB play in college. They can typically run block very well (which is important for us) and are use to catching bad passes. Here's the link: http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1_17-32.asp They have us taking him in rd 1 - HIGHLY doubt that but he might be worth a look in rd 3

I definitely could see 2 WRs in the first 4 rounds if the value is good. Personally, I think our draft may look more like WR, OG, BPA, BPA ect...

On a side note, Baylor has a wide body NT, Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, that performed very well during the Shriner game practice week. Supposedly very tough to block. Could be had in a later rd

Last edited by otisbean; 01-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #52
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I remember seeing a quote about Stephen Hill saying the way to find diamonds in the rough at the WR position was to look for WRs from running teams and teams with bad QB play in college. They can typically run block very well (which is important for us) and are use to catching bad passes. Here's the link: http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1_17-32.asp They have us taking him in rd 1 - HIGHLY doubt that but he might be worth a look in rd 3

I definitely could see 2 WRs in the first 4 rounds if the value is good. Personally, I think our draft may look more like WR, OG, BPA, BPA ect...

On a side note, Baylor has a wide body NT, Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, that performed very well during the Shriner game practice week. Supposedly very tough to block. Could be had in a later rd
Jarrett Boykin WR 33 Virginia Tech
Old 01-25-2012   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Stephen Hill-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

I like it, except give me Kaddu instead of Guyton.

I not only think that it's possible.

If I were making the call it would happen in the 3/4th rd. Hill is a Big WR who was the Georgia state sprint champion in high school.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241555 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how you pass on a guy with a name like,

Vontaze Burfict

Guaranteed to be a star with that name!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #55
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Stephen Hill-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

Hill is another very big WR who looks to have good straighline speed. Hands and route running are in question. Thought hw was a later round developmental type than a 3rd rounder.
Old 01-25-2012   #56
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post

I picked him I think in the 5th of my last mock. He's listed with like a 5.0 40 yard dash as a 320 pound guy. That's disgusting. I think he probably gets looked at by a lot of teams, not just the Texans

I'd rather have Streeter as far as Walter's mock goes. He seems like a very, very athletic...very, very raw talent. Like a mega Jacoby Jones, bigger, possibly faster...I've only seen one highlight reel of him and it wasn't impressive but the physical assets are interesting.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #57
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012hou.php

check out this! givens an in-depth look into the texans and what they need to do over the off-season.

nothing we didnt know already though
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012   #58
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012hou.php

check out this! givens an in-depth look into the texans and what they need to do over the off-season.

nothing we didnt know already though
Rackers is a "four star" kicker?
who knew...?
Quote:
Neil Rackers, K, Texans. Age: 36.
Neil Rackers' field-goal percentages over the past four years: 89.3, 94.1, 90.0 and 84.2. He's 7-of-9 from 50-plus in the previous two seasons. Only his age (36) is a concern.
Thanks for the link though...
Interesting stuff
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012   #59
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Alshon Jeffery-WR
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Stephen Hill-WR
4. Trevor Guyton-DE/DT

Hill is basically a less talented Demaryius Thomas. I would prefer a guy like Streeter, but to be honest I don't think we need 2 WR's in the first 4 rounds.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #60
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Walter has another update as of 02-01-12.

1. Peter Knoz-C
2. Josh Chapman-NT
3. Tommy Streeter-WR
4. Marvin McNutt-WR

Looks pretty good to me but I have my doubts that Streeter and McNutt fall this far.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read