Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2012   #41
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon sees disturbing trend with Phillips after first year DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I see a disturbing trend with Solomon, his articles keep getting worse, and worse, and I didn't think that was possible. He has replaced Dick Justice as the new Chronic dumb ass.
Exactly!! I think he took lessons from Justice before he left. I saw him on some news show the other night and wanted to shoot my TV! I think he might be a bigger dumbass than RJ, and I didn't think that was possible.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Is this even realistic?

Have you ever stopped & thought to yourself, "I'm not good enough to succeed at the next level"?

Especially knowing you have a better record than many of the guys highly sought after for HC openings?

Another trait of a successful HC, is being able to develop people. If I'm Kubiak, I'm going to help Wade find out why the perception is that he can not be a good HC & try to help him overcome that perception & get a job as a HC, whether that is as my replacement in Houston, or my competitor in Jacksonville.

I understand that Kubiak trying to help a coordinator become successful as a HC just flies in the face of logic, but it is what it is. He is in a position where he should be helping his staff develop & advance.

If Wade wants to be a HC, I'm going to help him get there. If he wants to be the greatest DC of all-time, I'm going to help him get there.
1. Yeah, I'm only 35 but I am definitely learning what I can and cannot do. Accepting your limitations, rather than straining against them, helps you to learn what your strengths are and allows you to succeed MORE in the areas of your strength. You know perfectly well that people get into jobs all the time, and for practical reasons they get fired because their skill set and other factors wasn't suited to the line of work. It's a natural process, you cannot force people to become things you (or they) think they should be. Read "First Break All The Rules" for a fantastic explanation of this principle.

2. Why on earth would I try and help an underling get MY job? LOL. It's my job until I prove it's not mine anymore. I'm not coming to work every day thinking, "Gee, I need to help little Timmy get MY job. Now THAT would make me a bigger success." Uh, no. Little Timmy has to earn his way like everyone else. What is with this line of thinking, TK? It flies in the face of everything American. It sounds very nuanced and very California Liberal Dem to me. "Hey, let's all replace ourselves and boost the guy(s) underneath us! Oh ****, now I'm unemployed or now I have Timmy's sucky job and I make less money now." Yeah, that's going to fly with the wife when you come home and tell her you just helped someone get your job and now your family budget shrunk...or disappeared because you sabotaged yourself. This is really a WTH? statement by you if I've ever heard one. You get 2 days to have a do-over, a mulligan, on it.

I think Gary knows full well that Wade is always angling for his job. I think he knew the minute Bud Adams had that lunch with McNair this time last year that he (Kubiak) better watch his own ass. It is what it is. Wade is bitter, he's older, he has health problems that old people naturally have at his age, he got pissed off that he wasn't a serious frontrunner for the Bucs job so he pulled a Walter Matthau and told them to go screw themselves. If anything, like Buffi said, he needs to accept his state of being and just embrace it fully. He'll be happier, his family will be happier, and WE will be happier too.

It really is a pretty easy analysis, IMO. But hey, if trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results is Wade's boat floater then by all means he can keep on trucking' with that philosophy. Free country and all that jazz...
Old 01-24-2012   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again - by the time you are Wade's age, you should be as aware of your limitations as you are of those things you do well. As good as Wade is as a DC, he really should be proud of who he is and work even harder on being a Defensive Head Coach.

I agree that an HC should build success with his coaches, but right now Kubiak has his hands full building his own success.
Tried to rep you, but I have to spread it around.

If anybody out there is in management, you need to read "First Break All the Rules." It is mind-blowing how simple the management of people, whether it's in a business or on a team, can be. The first thing you have to do is identify what the person does VERY well and let them do it...very well. The last thing you do is promote someone to the level of their incompetence, and if you DO advance the person and they start failing...you allow them step back down into the position where they had the best success.

Unfortunately, most organizational climates/environments are set up to where the person keeps getting promoted, keeps getting promoted, and then BAM! they fail and they get fired. Companies drain themselves of GREAT employees by doing this. They lose a team player at a valuable position and they say " Well, poor old Jim just couldn't hack it anymore. Had to let him go." The best places to work for, they allow you to go back doing what you did before. But it's rare. By the time you fail at your promotion, they've already hired someone else for your old job. Smart companies give a buffer zone of time before they hire for the old position, allowing you to step back into it if you cannot handle the next level.

All of this is a direct reflection of Wade Phillips' NFL career. The moment he gets promoted to the level of his incompetence, he slowly fails and he gets fired. Then he steps into the role he's born for (d-coord) and he succeeds. Then he gets promoted, and he fails.

"At some point, a man's gotta' know his limitations..." - Clint Eastwood
Old 01-24-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
1. Yeah, I'm only 35 but I am definitely learning what I can and cannot do. Accepting your limitations, rather than straining against them, helps you to learn what your strengths are and allows you to succeed MORE in the areas of your strength.
So what are his limitations? If it's about wins, the teams he has left have been winners more times than not.
Quote:
2. Why on earth would I try and help an underling get MY job?
That's the only way you can advance. Or should be. If you're going to succeed in a leadership position, you need to be able to develop people. You should be developing your Interns to become position coaches, your position coaches to become coordinators, & your coordinators to become HCs. & you'll make a fine HC/GM, or VP of football operations.

If I am doing that, then it doesn't make sense to fire me for the guy I trained. Even if he's a backstabb'n SOB..... but if they do, so what. I'll get another job somewhere else, a better job.

Quote:
LOL. It's my job until I prove it's not mine anymore. I'm not coming to work every day thinking, "Gee, I need to help little Timmy get MY job. Now THAT would make me a bigger success." Uh, no. Little Timmy has to earn his way like everyone else. What is with this line of thinking, TK? It flies in the face of everything American. It sounds very nuanced and very California Liberal Dem to me. "Hey, let's all replace ourselves and boost the guy(s) underneath us! Oh ****, now I'm unemployed or now I have Timmy's sucky job and I make less money now." Yeah, that's going to fly with the wife when you come home and tell her you just helped someone get your job and now your family budget shrunk...or disappeared because you sabotaged yourself. This is really a WTH? statement by you if I've ever heard one. You get 2 days to have a do-over, a mulligan, on it.
Uh..... I'm not going to be unemployed, I've been angling for my bosses job & he's helping me to get it.
Quote:
I think Gary knows full well that Wade is always angling for his job. I think he knew the minute Bud Adams had that lunch with McNair this time last year that he (Kubiak) better watch his own ass. It is what it is. Wade is bitter, he's older, he has health problems that old people naturally have at his age, he got pissed off that he wasn't a serious frontrunner for the Bucs job so he pulled a Walter Matthau and told them to go screw themselves. If anything, like Buffi said, he needs to accept his state of being and just embrace it fully. He'll be happier, his family will be happier, and WE will be happier too.
Kubiak can stand a little competition, just like Cushing & Demeco, Kj & Allen.... It makes for a better product on the field.

Again, if Wade wants to be a head coach, who are you to tell him that he can't? Especially when he's proven time & time again, that he can.

Quote:
It really is a pretty easy analysis, IMO. But hey, if trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results is Wade's boat floater then by all means he can keep on trucking' with that philosophy. Free country and all that jazz...
He'll get your team to the play-offs. Done it every time, as a coordinator or a head coach.
Old 01-24-2012   #45
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Solomon has slithered into the void left by Justice just fine. And the Chronicle has its next pot stirrer.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #46
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Fire Wade!!!
Hire Dom!!!
Old 01-24-2012   #47
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So what are his limitations? If it's about wins, the teams he has left have been winners more times than not.

But he loses them as a whole, he loses the TEAM after a period of time. The inmates begin running the asylum, TK. THAT is why Kubiak had this team playing in the playoffs this year: He has been a hard ass when he needs to be, and a shoulder to lean on when he has to be that as well. Wade is a softie. Ex-players of his have either directly said so or have hinted at it. His trend is that he starts off well, then fades as the race gets into the final laps. No staying power.

That's the only way you can advance. Or should be. If you're going to succeed in a leadership position, you need to be able to develop people. You should be developing your Interns to become position coaches, your position coaches to become coordinators, & your coordinators to become HCs. & you'll make a fine HC/GM, or VP of football operations.

I see no reason why an NFL head coach would see it as his job or duty to try and get his staff into his own job. If he's doing that, he's spending too much time mentoring and he's not focused on beating the brains out of his opponent every weekend. Does he try to be a good person and help them? Yes. Does he make it his goal to make them HC's? No, that's not his focus. It shouldn't be. If it is, then he needs to be a life coach, not a head coach.

If I am doing that, then it doesn't make sense to fire me for the guy I trained. Even if he's a backstabb'n SOB..... but if they do, so what. I'll get another job somewhere else, a better job.

That's pretty pie-in-the-sky thinking. It sounds good on a motivational poster, but it doesn't wash. Your job is to be the best at what you do every day, no holds barred, and to make others EARN your spot. Not to do things to help them get what you earned. Now, if you happen to work in a job where it is a corporate culture that everybody helps everybody and you actually get HUGE rewards for helping people ascend the ladder...and you, yourself, get bumped up the ladder, then so be it. But are you going to sit here and say that this is the way it's done in the Texans organization? I doubt it's that way, TK.

Uh..... I'm not going to be unemployed, I've been angling for my bosses job & he's helping me to get it.

Where does he go when you get his job? I'm genuinely curious. And then the spot that he gets, what happens to that guy? The company keeps creating or moving people and paying more each time? It's unsustainable (unless your job has some crazy wicked awesome economics going on).

Kubiak can stand a little competition, just like Cushing & Demeco, Kj & Allen.... It makes for a better product on the field.

Again, if Wade wants to be a head coach, who are you to tell him that he can't? Especially when he's proven time & time again, that he can.

I'm not going to tell him, TK. Life is telling him for me. His experiences are slapping him right in his kisser, I'm just making commentary on it. I see a pig, I call it a pig. I see a duck, I call it a duck. Pretty easy analysis on all accounts.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have the urge to be a HC again. I'm saying sometimes you knock on doors that won't open and you have to trust that it's not THE definitive statement on who you are as a person, you're self worth. I would like to see him be THE best d-coord in the NFL and spank the Capers and LeBeaus of the NFL d-coord tree. Dom surely is a happier man being a key contributor on a Super Bowl team that also reached the NFC Divisional round the very next year. That's gotta' be more rewarding than being the HC of a team that spirals downward and gets you ran out of town. I would think.

He'll get your team to the play-offs. Done it every time, as a coordinator or a head coach.
My responses in red, above.
Old 01-24-2012   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
But he loses them as a whole, he loses the TEAM after a period of time. The inmates begin running the asylum, TK. THAT is why Kubiak had this team playing in the playoffs this year: He has been a hard ass when he needs to be, and a shoulder to lean on when he has to be that as well. Wade is a softie. Ex-players of his have either directly said so or have hinted at it. His trend is that he starts off well, then fades as the race gets into the final laps. No staying power.
I've suspected as much, but I have yet to find anyone to say so, or have any evidence to support it.
Quote:
I see no reason why an NFL head coach would see it as his job or duty to try and get his staff into his own job. If he's doing that, he's spending too much time mentoring and he's not focused on beating the brains out of his opponent every weekend. Does he try to be a good person and help them? Yes. Does he make it his goal to make them HC's? No, that's not his focus. It shouldn't be. If it is, then he needs to be a life coach, not a head coach.
The better your staff, the better you are.
Quote:
That's pretty pie-in-the-sky thinking. It sounds good on a motivational poster, but it doesn't wash. Your job is to be the best at what you do every day, no holds barred, and to make others EARN your spot. Not to do things to help them get what you earned. Now, if you happen to work in a job where it is a corporate culture that everybody helps everybody and you actually get HUGE rewards for helping people ascend the ladder...and you, yourself, get bumped up the ladder, then so be it. But are you going to sit here and say that this is the way it's done in the Texans organization? I doubt it's that way, TK.
I'm saying that's the way it should be in every organization. If it's not like that in the Texans organization then something is wrong imo.

Now, one caveat. If Rick Dennison does not want to be a head coach.... so be it. No one is forcing him to be a HC. But the same things that would make him a good HC, would make him an excellent OC.

It's about teaching, developing, & motivating..
Quote:
Where does he go when you get his job? I'm genuinely curious. And then the spot that he gets, what happens to that guy? The company keeps creating or moving people and paying more each time? It's unsustainable (unless your job has some crazy wicked awesome economics going on).
He can move laterally, or I can earn a position equal to his but in another dept. I do work Fortune 100 company, there are many positions available. We like to promote from within & yes, it's all about helping each other be successful.
Quote:
I'm not saying he shouldn't have the urge to be a HC again. I'm saying sometimes you knock on doors that won't open and you have to trust that it's not THE definitive statement on who you are as a person, you're self worth.
Well, when he gets to that position, he can rethink his position. He was a HC last year & may very well have the opportunity in the future.
Quote:
I would like to see him be THE best d-coord in the NFL and spank the Capers and LeBeaus of the NFL d-coord tree.
& who is playing the liberal now, setting goals for other people & holding them back from their own aspirations?

Wade said he would like to be a HC again.
Quote:
Dom surely is a happier man being a key contributor on a Super Bowl team that also reached the NFC Divisional round the very next year. That's gotta' be more rewarding than being the HC of a team that spirals downward and gets you ran out of town. I would think.
You don't know that Dom is happier now, than if he would have had the opportunity to fix his mistakes here. & you don't know that Dom won't be able to be a better HC in the future, or Wade.

Dom may have learned exactly what he was lacking & developed those skills (i.e. developing his staff as well as his players).

A head coaches job goes way beyond what happens on Sunday.
Old 01-24-2012   #49
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I'm excited to see what Wade can do with a full season of Mario Williams at outside linebacker. He's the strongest and most dominating defensive player in the league. Nobody can block him one on one when he's playing at a high level. Not even sure two guys can stop him.
I guess this is my problem with retaining Mario. Without him the defense stepped up and really established itself as a relentless pressure defense based on high motor guys.

Mario has the physical attributes to be that dominate, I just don't see it often enough. He's never been known as a high motor guy.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read