Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Colts Forum: Build Team To Beat Texans?

Here's a good post from that thread & supports my position.
Quote:
LightninMax
In the Colts division you better be able to contend with the run or Foster, Jones-Drew, and C. Johnson is going to give you nightmares. Six times in one season alone. Rookie corners and solid cover 2 can protect against the QB's, but you better prepare for the run.

Now if I'm a team in the same division with Brees, Newton, Ryan, and Freeman guess where my priority might be. One must still prepare for all phases of the game, but if it forced to go one minute direction or the other, then the teams you face the most dictate your top priorities.
We built our team to beat the Colts.... So did the Jags & the Titans. Remember they've always been tough defenses with good running games..... just like us.

So if we're worried about getting to Peyton Manning, but couldn't stop the run, we lose... or at least don't do to well for 4 games of the year, Titans (x2) & Jags (x2)
Old 01-21-2012   #22
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
i do agree with the assessment that when the entire team is healthy, matt schaub is the weak link.
jacoby and kareem would have a strong argument against your statement.
Old 01-21-2012   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
jacoby and kareem would have a strong argument against your statement.
So would our #2 WR, if .... we .... had .... one.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #24
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 557 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lol.. All those idiots think they're the favorite next year because they're getting a rusty Manning back. Please, I more worried about Tennessee than the colts. Get over it Colts fans, you had a great run, but it's time to rebuild.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like the shoe is on the other hand now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #26
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
We got a tough schedule next year(playing against top playoff teams). We as Texans fans all know that we are very balanced and talented team as we watched Texans' game through out season. For non Texans fans, they don't watch us much and likely the most of them got to really see us in the playoffs or when we play against them. So I can understand there's some mixed feeling about us. However, when we take our division next year with double digit wins, other fans will realize we are the team to beat and will be the dominate force for a long time to come.

BTW, it is funny to see a discussion " Build team to beat Texans" at the colts forum. We had a similar discussion not too long ago.

Go Texans!!!

AFC South Champions!!!
The Titans and Jags have a similarly difficult schedule next year. I'd argue that theirs may be an even more difficult schedule...

We all play the NFC North: GB, Det, Minn, Chic.
We all play the AFC East: NE, NYJ, Buff, Miami

then,

Texans have: Baltimore and Denver
Titans have: Pittsburgh and Oakland
Jaguars have: Cincinnati and San Diego

Not to mention, they have to play us twice while we get to play them twice.
Old 01-22-2012   #27
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

They're doing fine at moderating and keeping the discussion at task. I really learned a lot from the thread apart from the derail Schaub/Yates attempts. It's a good topic.

I am flattered but do not think we are the "team to beat" but I defnitely would like to better understand how the Colts countered everybody despite being the "team to beat" for years. It's a different way of gameplanning and one that I am not familiar with.

I know most of it is talent (Brady, Manning, Brees, Foster, Ray Lewis, etc) but it does become a game of inchs as these teams don't routinely repeat. Once upon a time, players remained on their dynasties. I know I know I know... salary cap but I have a feeling that even if there was a cap back during the Steeler days, they'd do more to stay together than the players of today.

I don't know but it's been a good thread for the most part over there.
Old 01-22-2012   #28
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Why with our current team the colts went 1-1 shakes head
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #29
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Why wouldnt you build your team to beat the best. With Schaub and AJ, Foster, OD Dressen we have a top passing attack, With Foster, Tate and the O-Line we have a top Running Attack. So build your team to beat us and you can beat anyone , thats how i see it. Since i think we are one of the most balanced offenses in the league.
Old 01-22-2012   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yep, the chairs are turned.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #31
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The Titans and Jags have a similarly difficult schedule next year. I'd argue that theirs may be an even more difficult schedule...

We all play the NFC North: GB, Det, Minn, Chic.
We all play the AFC East: NE, NYJ, Buff, Miami

then,

Texans have: Baltimore and Denver
Titans have: Pittsburgh and Oakland
Jaguars have: Cincinnati and San Diego

Not to mention, they have to play us twice while we get to play them twice.
Yes, it will be a tougher schedule than 2011. With healthy #8 and healthy Wade(this is a key here), we should do well against top playoff teams. There will be many scenarios and situation to consider before we can predict # of wins. However, the way we played in 2011 showed me enough that the Texans can compete with any teams in the NFL.

A key to have successful season next year is to dominate within our division first. Now, there's is uncertainty in Indy that Manning may come back or may not. Just say, he comes back next year. Against Indy, Indy will have a hard time stopping our running game and with our improved D, I don't know if they can win a game against us. Jags is Jags. To me, Titans game hold a key for our success in 2012. They should have easier schedule than us and they may able to sneak into playoff picture.(remember, they did beat Ravens). This year, our record is 4-2 within our division however, the last game against Titans, we did not really try our best to win as it was a meaningless game. If #8 was healthy in 2011, we would more than likely be 6-0. When we come out our division with 5-1 or better in 2012, I see us in the playoffs again which I think possible with the talents we currently have. Now, this can all change with key injury and this is just based on injury free roster.

One major improvement I think we need is to address WR position. We need #2WR to complement AJ and should vastly help improve our already very talented O. There are some other needs like quality back ups for OG, ILB. Improve NT, CB position. However, legit #2WR can immediately take us further than this year IMO.

Dale, it takes a lot out of me when I write in English. I hope, I wrote my points of view clearly.

Go Texans!!!

Last edited by SAMURAITEXAN; 01-22-2012 at 07:43 PM.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yep, the chairs are turned.
Did you by chance mean "table has"
Old 01-22-2012   #33
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 31193 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Did you by chance mean "table has"
You might want to read Thorn's post again.

Old 01-22-2012   #34
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

"Well well well, how the turntables......"
Old 01-22-2012   #35
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 113586 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Yeah... the turn has definitely wormed...
Old 01-23-2012   #36
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

How would you specifically build a team to counter this Texans group?

I'd say a 43 D with 2 massive bodies at DT, they'll crush the smaller OL/break up the line and won't be tempted to run side to side and get caught on backside cuts by the RB. 2 guys at end who really get after the QB (Freeney/Mathis...if they turn it around quick enough I'd say they already have those 2 guys) and a lot of zone/press coverage on the outside to counter the ball-control/short throw offense. LBs and S all swarm tackle the ball. Lots of bend but don't break behind a massive line that can't be moved to run on. That's my best guess.

On offense, attacking this Texans version of the 3/4 I'd just start praying. A lot.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #37
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
An interesting thread on the Colts forum.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/t...o-beat-texans/

Some smart people on there saying the Texans are the most balanced team in the league... and since they're going into rebuilding mode, they should rebuild to be able to beat the Texans. They believe the Texans will run the AFC South for the foreseeable future.

A few guys thinking once Peyton is back, they'll go back to the kings of the AFC South... and the Texans success was a fluke.

One guy even said he's more worried about the Titans than the Texans!?!?
wait, wait, Peyton back? Why would he come back? He already has a new job...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gufVdeaGk

"Hey a man's gotta work, ok?"

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read