Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which one?
Jacoby Jones 13 12.50%
Baltimore's defense 15 14.42%
Home field advantage 0 0%
Lack of secondary receiving options 10 9.62%
Rookie inexperience 66 63.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2012   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to Yates?

Um, he throws harder than Schaub by a mile, although he's no John Elway.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #42
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Um, he throws harder than Schaub by a mile, although he's no John Elway.
I don't see it.

His passes look soft and alot of air underneath.

Maybe Schaub gets away with it by having superior ball placement.
Old 01-18-2012   #43
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I don't see it.

Yates has a quick release. Remember that td to Dreesen in the Atlanta game?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
None of the above.

Yates problem is he has no zip on the ball. Weak ass passes.

Bad decision making aside, the ball takes way too long to get there.

The good QBs throw into tight coverage all the time and get it done with mustard on the ball.
I don't see this at all. Yates has a stronger arm that Schaub and he can and has fit the ball into tighter windows than Schaub.

The problem is when he tries to throw a touch pass like the one he threw to Tate that floated and didn't make it all the way there. That's not a problem with arm strength, that's a problem with a defensive player standing between him and his target and him trying to throw a touch pass. When he tries to finesse a ball in, it floats and doesn't have enough juice on it. But in those cases, he HAD to finesse the ball in because it would have been batted down and possibly intercepted if he hadn't.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #45
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: What happened to Yates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
All of the above.

Yates did about as well as can reasonably be expected. It was just too big of a responsibility for him at this stage of his career. He has earned the privilege to continue his professional development as an NFL quarterback with his performance out on the field. And that will happen.

In fact, if Matt Schaub had played yesterday, I expect that the Texans would have won that game. And he will be back next year, which should be a really good year for the Houston Texans.
/thread
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #46
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Rep Power: 2447 Texanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

All the above AND the fact that Kubes stopped running the ball. He should have used Tate more often also.

You mess with the Bull, you get the horn!
Texanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #47
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell the OP didn't need a poll for this thread, he answered his own question...

Everything he listed was the reason...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #48
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What happened is exactly what people should have expected to happen. He was an inexperienced rookie that was thrown into the fire and had to play an experienced Ravens team in the playoffs. THe fact that people were predicting SB runs for Yates during the regular season was ridiculous to say the least.

I just hope that people can get off this Yates bandwagon from this point on, because his ceiling is not ever going to be that high. He is not the future of this team. He is capable of probably being a decent QB in this league like a Mark Sanchez/Jake Delhomme/Joe Flacco type at some point, but he's never going to be capable of being an elite level type of passer. I like the guy and respect what he tried to do considering the situation he was thrown in, but I never once saw anything spectacular from this kid.

The Texans need to start looking for Schaub's replacement in the next two seasons in the draft to start grooming for when Schaub is no longer playing at his best level or when another really bad injury occurs. Yates is "not" that guy to be counted on for the future. Hell no.
Great assessment.

I like Yates' raw tool set, but I think with a healthy Matt Schaub at the helm this team wins at Baltimore. I don't think it would hurt at all to have some better secondary receiving options.

Totally agree on Schaub's replacement. I really like what Matt brings to the table for the most part, but I would really love a guy with a little more athleticism and a bigger arm. Is Yates his eventual replacement? To early to tell either way IMO.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #49
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't see this at all. Yates has a stronger arm that Schaub and he can and has fit the ball into tighter windows than Schaub.

The problem is when he tries to throw a touch pass like the one he threw to Tate that floated and didn't make it all the way there. That's not a problem with arm strength, that's a problem with a defensive player standing between him and his target and him trying to throw a touch pass. When he tries to finesse a ball in, it floats and doesn't have enough juice on it. But in those cases, he HAD to finesse the ball in because it would have been batted down and possibly intercepted if he hadn't.
I'm not saying his arm strength isn't better, it is, I've seen it, the problem is that too many of his passes are too soft and without confidence.

And Drew Brees throws balls with zip all the time and he's not very tall for a QB.

I like Yates, he just needs to get some confidence and let it fly.

These soft touch passes suck.
Old 01-18-2012   #50
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying his arm strength isn't better, it is, I've seen it, the problem is that too many of his passes are too soft and without confidence.

And Drew Brees throws balls with zip all the time and he's not very tall for a QB.

I like Yates, he just needs to get some confidence and let it fly.

These soft touch passes suck.
You're comparing Drew Brees to a rookie. Drew Brees. A rookie.

BTW, I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, Yates is a rookie thrown into the fire without the benefit of an off-season and who was inactive for the first 10 weeks. The only action he saw was tossing balls to a rehabbing Andre Johnson. I just can't slam the kid's long term potential right now.
Old 01-18-2012   #51
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of you discount Yates future as a QB a little to much. I think he has a much brighter future in this league than just a steady hand at the number two position. But yeah, he had to much on him for his experience level.

Now, for arguments sake, had he been coached up from the start of the season like Andy Dalton or Cam Newton and did what he did, that would be a much different arguement. Even Flaccid was making mistakes.

No matter. Yates will be back next year on this team and he'll be a better backup to Schaub because of his experience this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #52
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You're comparing Drew Brees to a rookie. Drew Brees. A rookie.

BTW, I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, Yates is a rookie thrown into the fire without the benefit of an off-season and who was inactive for the first 10 weeks. The only action he saw was tossing balls to a rehabbing Andre Johnson. I just can't slam the kid's long term potential right now.
I just want to see some zip. He could have made a lot more completions let alone had fewer interceptions if he had used that arm of his.

And I'm not slamming his potential, he has a tremendous upside, composure, pocket presence ect.

Fire it in there, if you decide you are going to throw.

Last edited by DBCooper; 01-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm just want to see some zip. He could have made a lot more completions let alone had fewer interceptions if he had used that arm of his.

And I'm not slamming his potential, he has a tremendous upside, composure, pocket presence ect.

Fire it in there, if you decide you are going to throw.
yep, I agree with you.

It was mentioned in one article that Texan receivers were adjusting to his increase velocity on the ball, so he's definitely got the arm.

I suspect that his inexperience leads to the mental hesitation that causes his mechanics to break down and accuracy to suffer.

Hopefully, being the no. 2 QB behind Schaub will allow him to grow and fix these deficiencies over time.
Old 01-18-2012   #54
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think you're both right. yates does have a pretty good arm, much stronger than schaub's, but he tries to float his passes WAY too often. he's much less accurate when trying to feather the ball in than when he fires away. instead of placing the ball, next season i'd like to see him do on sundays what he does in practice - let it rip.
Old 01-18-2012   #55
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see it.

wow, ive never heard anything like this said about schaub before.. theres a reason the texans receivers were saying that they were cranking up the jugs machines to adjust to yates' arm strength.. as for schaubs accuracy, before he went down, everyone was talking about how he couldnt hit any receiver in stride, consistently over throwing andre, and hitting OD in the feet.. schaub has a better control of this offense and 8 years of playing against NFL defenses, but lets not go overboard and make him off to be some elite quarterback, lets not dismiss his flaws just because you havent seen him play in a couple of months..
Old 01-18-2012   #56
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 74920 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
None of the above.

Yates problem is he has no zip on the ball. Weak ass passes.

Bad decision making aside, the ball takes way too long to get there.

The good QBs throw into tight coverage all the time and get it done with mustard on the ball.
I do not agree with this. Did you see that deep out he threw? That had mustard on it for sure. I agree more with the idea that it's his indecision that keeps him from firing it in there.

That is probably from being over coached as others have suggested. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" even though we all know it was all done with the best of intentions.

I did not see this mentioned anywhere, but did you see near the end of the game the camera shot of Delhomme sitting on the bench as if to suggest it was time to give Yates the hook, or to ponder why Kubiak was not going to the vet to see what he could do in the final minutes?

With all that said... Let it be known that I too like mustard on my balls.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #57
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
wow, ive never heard anything like this said about schaub before.. theres a reason the texans receivers were saying that they were cranking up the jugs machines to adjust to yates' arm strength.. as for schaubs accuracy, before he went down, everyone was talking about how he couldnt hit any receiver in stride, consistently over throwing andre, and hitting OD in the feet.. schaub has a better control of this offense and 8 years of playing against NFL defenses, but lets not go overboard and make him off to be some elite quarterback, lets not dismiss his flaws just because you havent seen him play in a couple of months..
Schaub has better accuracy and ball placement than Yates.
Old 01-19-2012   #58
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
He is not the future of this team. He's never going to be capable of being an elite level type of passer. Yates is "not" that guy to be counted on for the future. Hell no.
Clairvoyance. So which finger am I holding up right now?
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year Schaub threw two picks against the Ravens. One was just a terrible throw because it resulted in the game being lost. They have a good defense.

Acting like Yates is somehow behind the curve because he struggled at times against them is silly.

Schaub took four sacks and turned the ball over earlier this year against them.

Obviously Schaub is and would have been the better option, but Yates should get better. How much better is really not something we can put a crystal ball on.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #60
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I don't believe it is any of these options actually...

Does anyone remember what Kubiak said about how he was practicing with Yates before the game?

He was challenging Yates more than ever in practice and told him to make mistakes so that he wouldn't make them again in the game....

When you are throwing the ball in practice thinking it is okay to make mistakes, it is hard to immidiately change that mindset going into a game like that. So the games before, where his main focus was to manage the game and not turnover the ball, he was able to do that. When the focus becomes getting your mistakes out of the way, your focus is quite the opposite. In game you all saw him force a lot of passes he should have never thrown. You saw him run towards the sidelines and instead of, like all previous games before, throwing the ball out of bounds, and he forced the ball to a receiver covered (the ball was batted down by a defender). Kubiak, quite frankly, put way to much trust in him, and if he would have practiced with the mindset of Yates just game managing, we could have won.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read