Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2012   #21
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

Both Foster and Tate could take 70% or more of the carries, and both do everything as good or better than Ward, depending on exactly what it is. That leaves -40% of the carries for Ward...

I don't think it's gonna happen.

Ward is a darn good player to have as a last resort though, and I do appreciate him being there just in case we need him. I'm sure he believe he could be a starter somewhere and....meh, he might be right. He'd be a lot better than some of the starters we've had in the past.

Gary, I think you're just feeling sympathetic. I'm sure he's compensated well.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #22
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.
I understand keeping all three fresh but I would imagine Tate was quite 'fresh' only having nine carries this game.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
He'd make great trade bait with other options for another respectable true #2 WR thats for sure.
Is Ward a FA after this yr?

If not a trade with the Packers for James Jones would be a great fit.

That or a 3rd rd pick.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #24
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

That or a 3rd rd pick.
Pretty sure he is free agent after this year, but he is 31 years old and would have about zero trade value.
Old 01-09-2012   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it has to do with Ward's value on the special teams unit. With all the injuries that took place on the team I'm sure his value as a player is on the special teams and that's where we need him.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #26
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The Giants use Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ware so it is not unheard of to use all three.
Old 01-09-2012   #27
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Giants use Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ware so it is not unheard of to use all three.
Not unheard of but there's no reason to use all three. Tate only had nine carries himself.
Old 01-09-2012   #28
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Both Foster and Tate could take 70% or more of the carries, and both do everything as good or better than Ward, depending on exactly what it is. That leaves -40% of the carries for Ward...

I don't think it's gonna happen.

Ward is a darn good player to have as a last resort though, and I do appreciate him being there just in case we need him. I'm sure he believe he could be a starter somewhere and....meh, he might be right. He'd be a lot better than some of the starters we've had in the past.

Gary, I think you're just feeling sympathetic. I'm sure he's compensated well.
i dunno man, i like the way ward runs. He is a no B.S runner, he says juke em, F it i will run em over haha. And he is very slippery without trying to be. I think Ward would be a good change of pace back for the play offs. Use all ur tools especially in the play offs. IMO
Old 01-09-2012   #29
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1441 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

um....

No.
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #30
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

It wouldn't hurt to use him, but it wouldn't be that beneficial either. You rarely see him go for negative yards, but he doesn't have as many breakout runs as Tate or Foster. Of course he has few opportunities, but I just don't think he has as many big plays in him as our two young starters do. It may not hurt to throw him in 2-3 times to mix things up, throw in a different run style, but if Foster and Tate are working, why rock the boat?
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ware had 46 carries this season. Ward had 45.
Old 01-09-2012   #32
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i dunno man, i like the way ward runs. He is a no B.S runner, he says juke em, F it i will run em over haha. And he is very slippery without trying to be. I think Ward would be a good change of pace back for the play offs. Use all ur tools especially in the play offs. IMO
This. He is already getting paid anyway.
Old 01-09-2012   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It's really just an odd time to even bring this up. At the beginning of the season... the middle of the season.... I think it would be worth having the discussion.

But now? We're going to the divisional round, after our first play-off win ever....... why change?
Old 01-09-2012   #34
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's really just an odd time to even bring this up. At the beginning of the season... the middle of the season.... I think it would be worth having the discussion.

But now? We're going to the divisional round, after our first play-off win ever....... why change?
What change? I am not going to call Gary and make demands because that won't do any good. All this is just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2012   #35
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I like Ward well enough but if he gets more carries then it would take away from either Foster or Tate. Tate only had nine carries against the Bengals, three of which came in the final possession when the game was in the bag. If anybody should get more carries it should be Tate not Ward (IMO).
Old 01-09-2012   #36
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

That or a 3rd rd pick.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #37
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69008 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

No.

If Ward is getting significant carries, something is gonna be real bad, as in Arian, or Ben going down.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #38
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I like Ward well enough but if he gets more carries then it would take away from either Foster or Tate. Tate only had nine carries against the Bengals, three of which came in the final possession when the game was in the bag. If anybody should get more carries it should be Tate not Ward (IMO).
I'm sorry but tate has been virtually ineffective of late.
Old 01-09-2012   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.
Don't use New Orleans as your measuring stick. They have three totally different kinds of RBs.

- P. Thomas is kind of like Tate, IMHO. Can run outside or between the tackles.
- Chris Ivory is their bull. Straight ahead, run over anyone in the way, type guy. Tate does that for us at times too.
- Pierre Thomas is the definitive "change-of-pace" RB. Much quicker than Thomas and much faster than Ivory. Just as much of a serious threat "in space" than Reggae Bush ever was; maybe moreso. Foster can do this for us because of his smooth moves. But even Arian isn't as quick as Sproles is.

IMHO, Ward is a "system back". He excels at getting the most out of how the play is designed to work, by letting his blockers do their jobs and taking advantage of whatever is there. He's not really going to run over anyone like Tate or fake defenders out a la Arian. And he sure isn't quick like Sproles.

All that to say that, Ward, while he's good in our system, doesn't bring anything extra special to the table that would warrant taking touches away from Foster or Tate and giving them to him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I'm sorry but tate has been virtually ineffective of late.
You're comparing him to Foster.

In the Cincy game he was 9 carries for 37 yds is 4.1 per... That's not exactly suckage. But it looks like it when you compare it to Arian. If you can depend on 4.1 yd/carry from our RB, that will keep the offense "on schedule". And he does have the ability to break one like he did against Tenn.

Kubiak is just riding the hot back, and that's Foster.

do you blame him?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read