Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2012   #1
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The whole lockdown corner thing.

Now, I don't think I know all of JJo's stats, but Green had 5 Receptions for 47 yards. Last week he went 2 for 26 against the ravens vaulted backfield. Before that against the steelers he was 6 for 87. However out of those three games Green had the lowest average agaist JJo.

Would you classify JJo's performance last night as lockdown?
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #2
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The whole lockdown corner thing.

in the first half no..but in the 2nd he was as locked down as it gets..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He did a very good job, the only time that Green looked like breaking something was against other players like the Quin PI call.

Joseph has been immense this year.
Old 01-09-2012   #4
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

I think every one has thier own idea of lockdown corner.
To me a lockdown corner doesnt have to keep a wr catchless, what he has to do is keep a wr from being a game changer.

Keep WR out of endzone
Keep WR under 70 yds
Keep WR from gaining 1st downs on 3rd downs
If a catch is made give up no YAC

To expect a corner to shut out a Great WR is to high of a goal. Just make that WR a non factor in the outcome of the game.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
Now, I don't think I know all of JJo's stats, but Green had 5 Receptions for 47 yards. Last week he went 2 for 26 against the ravens vaulted backfield. Before that against the steelers he was 6 for 87. However out of those three games Green had the lowest average agaist JJo.

There were other CBs on Green, JJo covered other WRs at times and he occasionally played zone. It's not as black and white as people would like to believe. Green also got a 52 yard PI call that doesn't show up in the stats and led to the Bengals TD (I don't recall who was on him, but I think it was Quin).

That said, JJo did great and didn't give up any TDs. He was playing well, but more importantly, the front 7 was playing excellently. Pressure is the key to a good secondary, and helps guys like Kareem and Allen a lot more than we see in the stats. If Watt, Smith, Barwin and Cush can break through the Baltimore o-line next week, we have a good shot of winning that game. Just go back and watch the Balt/Jax or Titans game. Get pocket pressure on Flacco and he folds like a cheap suit (much like Matt Ryan). Give him all day to pass and he will eventually find someone to catch the ball.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

All the CBs had excellent games on Saturday. There's no question about J-Jo putting the clamps on though, he's one clamping fool. Or clamp like device.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll admit that I only wanted Joseph because I was convinced that he was the better option than Aso once Ike Taylor re-signed with Pittsburgh. After watching Pittsburgh this year, I'm glad we didn't go IT and I'm certainly glad we didn't go Aso. We did good with who we signed.

Anyone else notice that the two guys we spent money on in FA, were the two that came up with INTs in our playoff game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2012   #8
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

It is really too bad that McCain is so small. I think he has great fee, hips and recovery speed. He hangs with anyone, but he gets out muscled when matched up against bigger wideouts. He should spy Torrey Smith Sunday with JJo on Boldin, let Allen and Jackson cover Lee Evans with help over the top.
Old 01-09-2012   #9
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of lockdown corners, I think I will head over to the falcons board and see how they feel about number 23.
Old 01-09-2012   #10
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'll admit that I only wanted Joseph because I was convinced that he was the better option than Aso once Ike Taylor re-signed with Pittsburgh. After watching Pittsburgh this year, I'm glad we didn't go IT and I'm certainly glad we didn't go Aso. We did good with who we signed.

Anyone else notice that the two guys we spent money on in FA, were the two that came up with INTs in our playoff game.
Aso would have been better here than he's looked in Philadelphia so far. We play far more man to man than Philly did. He's not as good in zone coverage.

Maybe that was a reason we finally decided Joseph is better. He seems to be able to play both.
Old 01-09-2012   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Green was targeted 12 times and caught 5 balls. For me, that means he was shut down. And considering what a talent Green is, that was a pretty amazing performance.

JJo wasn't singled up on him the entire game but he had a great game.

If JJo isn't the greatest FA acquisition by any team this offseason, he's the second to Sproles. And don't forget Manning. Manning is up there in the top 5 FA acquisitions last offseason.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #12
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Green was targeted 12 times and caught 5 balls. For me, that means he was shut down. And considering what a talent Green is, that was a pretty amazing performance.

JJo wasn't singled up on him the entire game but he had a great game.

If JJo isn't the greatest FA acquisition by any team this offseason, he's the second to Sproles. And don't forget Manning. Manning is up there in the top 5 FA acquisitions last offseason.
I would honestly say it's Sproles 1 and JJo a pretty close second to him but they are by far the 2 best in league this year. Sproles is just rediculous in that Saints offense.
Old 01-09-2012   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

JJO had a good game, at first though we had 0 pass rush and it was showing, it wasn't till late in the 2nd quarter did we finally start getting some sort of pass rush.

Personally I think we overuse the term lockdown corner, IMHO there have been very few in the game, Deion, Darrell Green, and that green guy from the Jets.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

JoJo isn't a lockdown corner like a Dion or Revis or a Champ were in their heydays, but he is one dang good CB. Combine him with a really good pass rush and a bit of backend support from Manning/Quin and he is really tuff to deal with by WRs and D-Coordinators. Allen LOOKS like he may be coming around after getting a year of good coaching. May wind up being a reasonable possibility of a #2 corner after another year of good coaching. KJ ...... well, he is KJ. If he were picked in the 4-5th round range, he would be OK value and about as expected, but for a top 1st round pick, he has a LOOOOONG road to go to get to where he could be considered even value. The real problem is that one of the main things he lacks can't be taught and that's speed. Speed wise he is more in the safety type of range. Brice McCain is pretty good, but limited physically and is probably as good as he will get. Good dime guy and that's about it. Just my thoughts on our DBs and they are worth just exactly what you paid for them.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post

Depends on the receiver. Is 5 for 47 shutdown agianst AJ? Is it against Walters or any other receiver on the Texans? Boldin is a helluva receiver. Hopefully JJO does better this week. I'm sure he will.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read