Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2012   #1
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pressure without blitzing

Anyone see ESPN's little stat ticker?

"The Texans' defense rushed four or fewer pass rushers on 37 of Andy Dalton's 47 dropbacks on Saturday, and Dalton struggled throwing into coverage."

I remember someone having concerns that we relied too much on blitzing, but the stat surprised me! We still got some pretty good pressure on Dalton without blitzing; our defensive line is getting back to playing at a high level. Gotta keep it up for next game!
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #2
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pressure without blitzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post

"The Texans' defense rushed four or fewer pass rushers on 37 of Andy Dalton's 47 dropbacks on Saturday, and Dalton struggled throwing into coverage."

I remember someone having concerns that we relied too much on blitzing, but the stat surprised me! We still got some pretty good pressure on Dalton without blitzing; our defensive line is getting back to playing at a high level. Gotta keep it up for next game!
seemed to me like texans blitzed some early in the game and got burned with the screens and short passing (and i think the PI play to aj green as well). once texans started rushing four, dalton seemed flustered when he had to scan the field and look for his second and third options.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #3
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

No surprise... they did this in the first game too.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #4
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully this means that we have plenty of tricks up our sleeve for the ravens game...and they lay an egg since they seem due for it again.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #5
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

LET'S GET IT
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

That was me, my point being we don't need to talk about going forward without Mario until we can pressure the QB without the blitz.

Now, we can start having that conversation.
Old 01-08-2012   #7
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That was me, my point being we don't need to talk about going forward without Mario until we can pressure the QB without the blitz.

Now, we can start having that conversation.
Bengals' O-line isn't a strength, is it? I wanna see how they do against a more legit opponent/O-line.

Too early to say we need Mario, too early to say we don't. Judging by our overall defensive pressure this year, I'd say we're doing pretty well. Mario just may be that piece that would be nice to have, but not necessary.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2012   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never thought this team would be a winning team until the day ever arrived that they could get pressure on the QB without having to "manufacture" it with the blitz.

I know I'll get disagreed with, but I believe our ability to get a rush with just 4 people, instead of rushing 5 or 6, has made a bigger difference in the improvement of the defense than Wade Phillips scheme or improved secondary. I know Phillips and the secondary are getting the most credit, but to me, it it's music to my ears when I hear about the QB getting hurried with 4 man rush. You always have to sacrifice something if you rush more than 4.

Regarding Mario, I would think the injuries that we've had this season would be reason enough to dispel any notion of "going forward without Mario". You can't have too many legitimate pass rushers.
Old 01-08-2012   #9
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 34626 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

The key to being successful is being able to adapt. To say that we should never blitz is laughable, even if the front 4 are generating pressure. Some QB's will pick you apart when you blitz while others will fall apart.

Adapt to your opponent and blitz when necessary.

We have to see what Mario can do in this system, especially with a full camp, etc. In my mind there is not even a question whether we keep him or not.

"Keenum has an aura about him". -Andre Johnson
"She did a Mean Macarena to the Funky Cold Medina" -S. Hagar
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #10
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bengals' O-line isn't a strength, is it? I wanna see how they do against a more legit opponent/O-line.

Too early to say we need Mario, too early to say we don't. Judging by our overall defensive pressure this year, I'd say we're doing pretty well. Mario just may be that piece that would be nice to have, but not necessary.
They only gave up 25 sacks this year. That's not even 2 a game. While it's not indicative of great line play I think it's safe to say they are good. Benson had 1,000 yards as well.
Old 01-08-2012   #11
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33554 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our dline is awesome. Our lb core is awesome. Our secondary is awesome.

Too bad Brice McCain is like 5 foot, because I think he is our best cover corner, but just too small to match up against bigger wide outs.....he has made play after play all season when he is in there
Old 01-08-2012   #12
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Too bad Brice McCain is like 5 foot, because I think he is our best cover corner, but just too small to match up against bigger wide outs.....he has made play after play all season when he is in there
Dude looked pretty good as a rookie as well, regressed last season and looks better again this year. This team is going to have to cut some really good depth players from their CB core this off-season as the numbers are too many.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
They only gave up 25 sacks this year. That's not even 2 a game. While it's not indicative of great line play I think it's safe to say they are good. Benson had 1,000 yards as well.
I think the Bengals' o-line has done a very good of protecting Dalton this year. They don't open a lot of holes, which is one reason their running game is so pedestrian. But as far as protecting the passer, I'd say they're as good, or better, than the Ravens' o-line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Too bad Brice McCain is like 5 foot, because I think he is our best cover corner...
No, Joseph is the Texans best cover corner. But McCain, and all of the returning players in the secondary, have improved under the new coaching staff. With the improved pass rush the Texans have this season, they've held their own more often than not.
Old 01-08-2012   #14
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I have never thought this team would be a winning team until the day ever arrived that they could get pressure on the QB without having to "manufacture" it with the blitz.

I know I'll get disagreed with, but I believe our ability to get a rush with just 4 people, instead of rushing 5 or 6, has made a bigger difference in the improvement of the defense than Wade Phillips scheme or improved secondary. I know Phillips and the secondary are getting the most credit, but to me, it it's music to my ears when I hear about the QB getting hurried with 4 man rush. You always have to sacrifice something if you rush more than 4.

Regarding Mario, I would think the injuries that we've had this season would be reason enough to dispel any notion of "going forward without Mario". You can't have too many legitimate pass rushers.
The only part I disagree with is not giving Wade the credit for adjusting our scheme to fit the opponent. The guy is phenomenal at reading the offense and making adjustments.

But agree that you have to have the talent to rush 4 and get pressure or you are limited in the adjustments you can even make.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, Dalton was tied with Brees at 22nd with 24 QB sacks. Flacco at 15th with 31 sacks is certainly not invulnerable.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

In preceding seasons, blitzes were completely ineffective because the opposing team knew that that we couldn't generate pressure with just the down linemen. That made it super easy for them to read our defense.

To say that was only a "scheme" issue is laughable. You have to have the talent also, as J.J. Watt has clearly demonstrated.
Old 01-08-2012   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I think most of the pressure was due to good coverage.

In the first half, Texans were leaving a lot of the underneath stuff open, and Dalton was hitting them quick. In the second half, they seemed to do better against the short routes, and gave time for the pass rushers to get to Dalton.
Old 01-08-2012   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

buddyboy is right, this may still be too early, other factors have to be taken into account.

If the stat is true, it is only for this game. From what I've seen, we still rely on the blitz way too much to generate pressure.... but I haven't seen the Bengals (play-off) game yet.
Old 01-08-2012   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
The key to being successful is being able to adapt. To say that we should never blitz is laughable, even if the front 4 are generating pressure. Some QB's will pick you apart when you blitz while others will fall apart.
What's laughable, is that you think someone even said we should never blitz.

If a team can only get pressure on the QB by blitzing, that team has a problem, a weakness that can be exploited.
Old 01-08-2012   #20
dream_team
Hall of Fame

In technical terms, are we actually blitzing just about every down?

Since we're technically a 3-4 team, wouldn't it be considered a blitz if we rush 4 guys?

If we're always rushing 4 guys, then wouldn't that actually make us a 4-3 team?

Not trying to be an ass, just something I've wondered about. What's the difference between a 3-4 & 4-3 defense if we're stilling lining up 4 guys on the LOS most of the time?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read