Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you defer or receive?
Kick the ball, allow our defense to start the game. 35 72.92%
Receive, score first and put them in the hole. 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2012   #41
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coin flip

For once, I agree with Kubiak's logic. You always take the ball if you can get it. If the offense comes out and scores a TD the Bengals will have to play from behind, which is always deflating for a team. It works in reverse too if we were to defer. Plus, for those talking about utilizing a pumped up crowd - I would think Reliant would be even more thunderous if we put up a TD on our first drive.
Old 01-06-2012   #42
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
How about a Pittsburgh game-esque drive? 19 plays, 95 yards to open up the game?

Gimme the ball first. Hopefully score. Give Yates some confidence. I'd actually even consider trying that first play we did against Tampa.

Then unleash the dogs of hell.
I'd like to see the naked boot and sneak the TE back across the field a la the oakland game.

Last edited by NastyNate; 01-06-2012 at 11:51 PM.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #43
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 57086 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Offense.

I don't care how loud it would be for the Bengals' offense if we elected to kick to them, you don't give Dalton and his offense a chance to drive the field and kill clock.

You get the ball, run your plays and eat the clock...hopefully get points off of it, then let your defense support your points. Let our D have something to defend.
I was all set to answer Defer, but dammit you have a great point here. Need to control that clock and keep the Bengals on the sidelines and much as possible.

Both sides have great points and I would usually say get the ball 1st in the 2nd half with a chance to adjust, but you have swayed me and I am voting take the rock, then proceed to run it down their throat.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #44
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I clicked defense first but I can see the logic in getting the crowd pumped after a TD. My feeling is that if you can take a lead into the half, and get the ball in the second half, you can take a long leisurely stroll in the second half and keep your defense on the sidelines.

That said, there's a lot of momentum that comes with scoring first and putting your defense up with a pumped crowd.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #45
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

But in this scenario i think our crowd will already be jacked, and I doubt most of them will stay quiet for our offense....too much energy to receive first

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read