Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2012   #21
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Hmm, I see your point. What then would you call a 3 game losing stretch including a 1 win team to get to your first playoff game?
There is currently no word or phrase that describes when a team clinches a playoff spot and then loses out (three games or more) with two or more of those losses not coming in games where starters were pulled etc...

...well, 'til now... From here on out it shall forever be known as "Kubiaking"..

Example: the 2014 L.A. Jaguars Kubiaked their way into the playoffs...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #22
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wildcard Weekend Only 3 games not 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Stop. Watching. ESPN.
This. **** the credit bullshit.

Just win the damn Super Bowl, baby.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Stop. Watching. ESPN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
^^This^^
Seconded! BSPN is garbage.
Old 01-05-2012   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmm, I see your point. What then would you call a 3 game losing stretch including a 1 win team to get to your first playoff game?
They call it a winning hangover. The Texans were so focused on getting the division title that once it was achieved, the team let out a collective sigh of relief.

I hated losing those three games in a row as much as anyone, but in the big picture, they had absolutely no impact on our chances of making or missing the playoffs. They certainly had everything to do with our seeding, so they were not meaningless. But, I think things caught up to this team and it was just a somewhat normal reaction that many teams have after securing a playoff spot.

Remember our first win over the Colts on Christmas eve? They ended up winning the Super Bowl that year. I remember Colts fans gripping over that loss, all things considered, but it ultimately meant nothing in the big scheme of things.

The New Orleans Saints had a three game losing streak to end the 2009 season, but they went on a three game winning streak right after that to win their Super Bowl.

I'm not saying the 2011 Texans are as good as either the Saints or Colts, but just pointing out that losing streaks - in and of themselves - are not necessarily indicative of future outcomes. Momentum into the playoffs is one of those intangibles that can often be a bit overrated.
Old 01-05-2012   #25
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, first your wording was a little off, we locked up the spot in week 14. You imply that the 3 game losing streak got us to the playoffs. Second. WE HAVE A FREAKING 3RD STRING QB!!! Are you people kidding me!? Rookie, 5th rounder, not Tom Brady, who was a backup under the tutalage of Drew Bledsoe for a couple years before he got his shot. We are talking about a 3rd string QB. You think that's how we would have finished the season with a healthy team?! No wonder other teams fans dump on Texans fans so much. My goodness gracious sakes alive!

More accurately, I would describe our 3 game losing streak as A)Gary Kubiak putting the restraints on his rookie QB until we got to the playoffs, since agains, we didn't accidentally luck into them. B)We severely missed Wade Phillips obviously. C)Um..No Dre, No Shaub, No Mario, No Brisiel, etc. D) Most fans don't think for themselves and just listen to ESPN...so all your buddies talking crap, don't take into consideration that this is not the "same ol Texans" This Texans team is quite different, but they have been quite depleted this season. I honestly think that caught up to them. Hopefully, and judging by the first drive against a desperate Titans team, we are back to normal.
Old 01-05-2012   #26
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
OK, first your wording was a little off, we locked up the spot in week 14. You imply that the 3 game losing streak got us to the playoffs. Second. WE HAVE A FREAKING 3RD STRING QB!!! Are you people kidding me!? Rookie, 5th rounder, not Tom Brady, who was a backup under the tutalage of Drew Bledsoe for a couple years before he got his shot. We are talking about a 3rd string QB. You think that's how we would have finished the season with a healthy team?! No wonder other teams fans dump on Texans fans so much. My goodness gracious sakes alive!

More accurately, I would describe our 3 game losing streak as A)Gary Kubiak putting the restraints on his rookie QB until we got to the playoffs, since agains, we didn't accidentally luck into them. B)We severely missed Wade Phillips obviously. C)Um..No Dre, No Shaub, No Mario, No Brisiel, etc. D) Most fans don't think for themselves and just listen to ESPN...so all your buddies talking crap, don't take into consideration that this is not the "same ol Texans" This Texans team is quite different, but they have been quite depleted this season. I honestly think that caught up to them. Hopefully, and judging by the first drive against a desperate Titans team, we are back to normal.
Glad you bought up Brisiel. Missing him was quite large and the difference was noticeable in both the run game and pass protection. It was a big loss to this team and oline depth is something we should look at next year when it comes to adding players next year.

Also a lot of people just brushed off the Wade thing and expected the defense to keep on rolling. But really a good coach puts his players in position to make plays...which is essentially calling the plays.

Also the losing streak oddly correlates to when Andre went out again. The reason it didn't happen the first time is because Schaub is a pretty good QB who can make our other decent WRs look better than they are. Yates NEEDS Andre out there, it will make things that much easier for him.

No Dre, No Wade, No Brisiel...and the last game we loss sure but it was thanks to 2nd and 3rd stringers.
fiasco west is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #27
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think you guys are overstating or overreacting to this team's media coverage. I watched Mike and Mike and they had a whole segment on our game. Also on NFL live, they did a whole segment on our game and on our "next man up" mantra. Do we get the same coverage like the saints or giants do, no. But if you want that attention, you got to start winning.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #28
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we win our first game, we'll get a lot more coverage going in to Baltimore. But the majority of the talk will be about Baltimore
Our game would still be the least discussed though. The New England and Green Bay games would be getting all the run. Throw in all the San Fran/Montana/Young info and then you would have the Texans v Baltimore. Screw the national media. Most of them are annoying and don't know squat anyway.
Old 01-05-2012   #29
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I guess everyone's being technical, but they're correct... Backing in means barely getting in... Now "stumbling in", no one can disagree with 'at...
I think it more like we kicked the door in and then forgot why we came.....

The last three weeks were a little rough, but I'm hoping we see a different team come Sunday. The D has played well but has been on the field a lot. Will be great to see if AJ stretchs the field opening up the middle which opens up holes for Arian.

Can't wait to see what our guys can do!!!!!
Old 01-05-2012   #30
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

No idea why they forgot to talk about the 2011-2012 Superbowl winners.
Old 01-05-2012   #31
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

This game and the Falcons/Giants game are probably the two most closesly contested games in the wild card round. The different possibilities for outcomes in this game are interesting, but neither team here is expected to get past either Baltimore (if Houston wins) or New England (if Cincy wins). I would love to go into Balty and shock the Ravens but the Texans have to win this game first. I'm confident they have the talent and ability and I just hope that all the players come to wreck shop on Saturday.
Old 01-05-2012   #32
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
They call it a winning hangover. The Texans were so focused on getting the division title that once it was achieved, the team let out a collective sigh of relief.

I hated losing those three games in a row as much as anyone, but in the big picture, they had absolutely no impact on our chances of making or missing the playoffs. They certainly had everything to do with our seeding, so they were not meaningless. But, I think things caught up to this team and it was just a somewhat normal reaction that many teams have after securing a playoff spot.

Remember our first win over the Colts on Christmas eve? They ended up winning the Super Bowl that year. I remember Colts fans gripping over that loss, all things considered, but it ultimately meant nothing in the big scheme of things.

The New Orleans Saints had a three game losing streak to end the 2009 season, but they went on a three game winning streak right after that to win their Super Bowl.

I'm not saying the 2011 Texans are as good as either the Saints or Colts, but just pointing out that losing streaks - in and of themselves - are not necessarily indicative of future outcomes. Momentum into the playoffs is one of those intangibles that can often be a bit overrated.
^^^Moderator FTW!^^^

couldn't have said better myself. Everybody is hanging on this 3 gm losing streak, well in essence 2 gm with starters, and momentum. Guess what, Cincy has NO momentum either. They lost their last game and backed into the playoffs. Now the QB was been out almost all week with the flu during a very crucial time.

So if anything, Texans have the advantage being at home and with the crowd.. The whole "Texans backing into the playoffs" was just someone not understand what "backing into the playoffs" was...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #33
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I think it more like we kicked the door in and then forgot why we came.....

The last three weeks were a little rough, but I'm hoping we see a different team come Sunday. The D has played well but has been on the field a lot. Will be great to see if AJ stretchs the field opening up the middle which opens up holes for Arian.

Can't wait to see what our guys can do!!!!!
Remember we play saturday, would hate to see you miss the game

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read