Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-22-2011   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O-line time?

Yall remember a couple years ago when San Francisco spent two 1st round picks on O-linemen, Iupati and Davis, they bit the bullet and made the investment for the longterm betterment of the team. O-linemen aren't sexy picks but they pay compound dividends in the passing game, running game, and QB protection. Is it time for the Texans to make such a commitment? Other than a WR in the 1st round commiting to quality O-linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds would really help our offense in the long run. We also don't have any glaring holes on the team other than WR and this may never happen again, where we have the opportunity to make such an O-line investment. What say you? I'm thinking it's time we get better on the front line.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #2
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O-line time?

You can never go wrong with drafting OL and pass rushers! I think we are finally to the point where we can go BPA and address specific needs through FA. Given we are are youngish/in our prime, I think we might be more attractive to FAs now. I have a feeling BPA may well be OL and DL/OLB this year.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think any draft pick available to us for Oline would start before year two & maybe not then. I like Konz, DeCastro & Zeitler in that order. Konz because he can play C and OG. I think first two will be gone when we pick. To me the only two spots that a draft pick should (WR2) and might (NT) start. For me, that means grabbing one of those in first. I think at least three & maybe four NTs will be drafted before our second round. It is merely the drafter's preference on mocks who goes first.

Concerning Oline, I think good back ups can be selected in 4th that could eventually start. Wade Smith's career is winding down & Brisiel is loved by coaches.
Old 12-23-2011   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I don't think any draft pick available to us for Oline would start before year two & maybe not then. I like Konz, DeCastro & Zeitler in that order. Konz because he can play C and OG. I think first two will be gone when we pick. To me the only two spots that a draft pick should (WR2) and might (NT) start. For me, that means grabbing one of those in first. I think at least three & maybe four NTs will be drafted before our second round. It is merely the drafter's preference on mocks who goes first.

Concerning Oline, I think good back ups can be selected in 4th that could eventually start. Wade Smith's career is winding down & Brisiel is loved by coaches.

I think we'll have a decent shot at all 3 of the players you listed. Also I'm not talking about drafting backups, I'm talking selecting better quality starters and letting our current starters vastly improve our depth. If we take Zeitler in the 2nd I think he could start in place of Brisiel or Caldwell thus giving us a better starter and improved backups. Again O-linemen aren't sexy picks but a couple studs up front would help alot and most O-linemen have long lasting careers. I just think it's time we spend some high picks on an area of the team that seems to get overlooked.
Old 12-23-2011   #5
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think we'll have a decent shot at all 3 of the players you listed. Also I'm not talking about drafting backups, I'm talking selecting better quality starters and letting our current starters vastly improve our depth. If we take Zeitler in the 2nd I think he could start in place of Brisiel or Caldwell thus giving us a better starter and improved backups. Again O-linemen aren't sexy picks but a couple studs up front would help alot and most O-linemen have long lasting careers. I just think it's time we spend some high picks on an area of the team that seems to get overlooked.
If they draft an OG early I think it will be to replace Wade Smith, not Brisiel. Wade will be 31 next year entering his 10th season. Say what you want about Brisiel but they haven't won a game since he went down. I know, after watching last night's game, it looked like they were having more success running to the left with Brown and Smith than to the right with Winston and Caldwell, but I still think, if they draft an OG in the 2nd or 3rd, it will be to replace Wade. Also, we still have Shelley Smith sitting on IR and a few others on the roster (Austin Thomas, Andrew Gardner, and Howard Barieri) that could factor in to their decision making. JMHO.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

How bout a new RT in the 2nd round? Who you got?

It's been discussed before, moving Winston to RG, moving Brisiel and Caldwell to backups, and improving the RT with someone new and more athletic. This one move would improve 3 areas of the O-line.
Old 12-24-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How bout a new RT in the 2nd round? Who you got?

It's been discussed before, moving Winston to RG, moving Brisiel and Caldwell to backups, and improving the RT with someone new and more athletic. This one move would improve 3 areas of the O-line.
If you want a OT in this draft that can start right away then you're going to have to spend your 1st rd pick on a guy like Mike Adams. He may not even be there when the Texans are picking late in the 1st because of the need for LT's.

I think Adams will be a better RT, the's very strong and has very long arms.

The next tackle that should be in the Texans draft range late in the 2nd should be Levi Adcock, Andrew Datko and Nate Potter.

But there are some very good developmental guys like Tony Bergstrom and Matt McCants who are kind of developmental guys who should be available in Rds 3/4. If It was me I would move Winston inside to OG and if healthy start Butler at RT and draft a Bergstrom/McCants to develop.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

I don't want to spend the 1st round pick on an OT, that'll be used on WR. I'm looking at guys like Matt Reynolds and Rickey Wagner in the 2nd round after moving Winston inside to RG, I think this is a move that's past due. I was also considering Potter and Adcock but think that Adams will be gone in the late 1st round. I hadn't looked at Datko yet, Thanks.
Old 12-24-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have to go OL early to protect Schaub & I don't see any foreseeable replacement in Texans future QB plans. Solid pass pro & better combination blocking is needed. There are some damn fine OT's & OG's in this draft who if available would make excellent first round draft picks (OT - Jeff Riley, Jonathan Martin, Mike Adams. OG - David DeCastro, Cordy Glenn).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans have to go OL early to protect Schaub & I don't see any foreseeable replacement in Texans future QB plans. Solid pass pro & better combination blocking is needed. There are some damn fine OT's & OG's in this draft who if available would make excellent first round draft picks (OT - Jeff Riley, Jonathan Martin, Mike Adams. OG - David DeCastro, Cordy Glenn).
Agreed

This is why I want an OT taken in the 1st rd and a WR signed in FA. Then take a WR as BPA in rds 2-4. Protecting Schaub should be job #1.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

This is why I want an OT taken in the 1st rd and a WR signed in FA. Then take a WR as BPA in rds 2-4. Protecting Schaub should be job #1.
I sure wouldn't argue with this approach. Suffice to say major improvement on the O-line is needed. I wonder if Kubiak sees it this way or if his judgement is clouded by the fact that he likes his kids and seems to play favorites and/or is way to patient for their development.

Can Cordy Glenn play RT or is he strictly an OG in the NFL?
Old 12-25-2011   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I sure wouldn't argue with this approach. Suffice to say major improvement on the O-line is needed. I wonder if Kubiak sees it this way or if his judgement is clouded by the fact that he likes his kids and seems to play favorites and/or is way to patient for their development.

Can Cordy Glenn play RT or is he strictly an OG in the NFL?
Cordy Glenn will give the team who drafts him a back-up swing tackle (started all 2011 @ LT) who may be a natural fit @ RT next level? Can come in day one & start LG next to Brown. Near ideal NFL starting caliber size & measureables 6050 320 with probably close to 35" arm length. I have DeCastro rated above him but he is more of a pure LG with all-pro potential.

I can't say if Texans would ever kick Winston inside, kinda doubt it, but it is imperative they have more options depth wise & if they can upgrade Guard position moving forward (Wade turning 31/Brisel injury's) then it makes even more sense. Glenn is athletic enough for ZBS to run in space (play-action) create cut-back lanes, pull & block down-field.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just my opinion but neither of our starting tackles are going anywhere. I could see us drafting a OG but believe Konz will either return to college or be gone before we select. I also think DeCastro will be gone. Remains to be seen, I guess.Unless we can get one of the tier one guys, I doubt drafting guard in first.
Old 12-26-2011   #14
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just my opinion but neither of our starting tackles are going anywhere. I could see us drafting a OG but believe Konz will either return to college or be gone before we select. I also think DeCastro will be gone. Remains to be seen, I guess.Unless we can get one of the tier one guys, I doubt drafting guard in first.
I would be very surprised if we drafted an OG in the 1st too. Maybe the 3rd or 4th, but I just don't think Kubes take one in the 1st. I think they will go WR in the 1st. JMO.
Old 12-26-2011   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would be very surprised if we drafted an OG in the 1st too. Maybe the 3rd or 4th, but I just don't think Kubes take one in the 1st. I think they will go WR in the 1st. JMO.
Old 12-26-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

As it stands today we pick no higher than 24th. If that is final #, I think the priority 1 players will be gone and we look next at level 2. There will be some quality players there so let's hope for another great draft! Barkley remaining in school just pushed another player out of our reach.
Old 12-26-2011   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm looking at guys like Matt Reynolds and Rickey Wagner in the 2nd round after moving Winston inside to RG, I think this is a move that's past due.
Breisel isn't going to be replaced by Winston.
Old 12-26-2011   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with all of this. David DeCastro, Stanford could be a possibility but will likely be gone.

Barrett Jones, Alabama seems like a perfect fit and I could see us moving up in the third round or using our second round pick on.
Old 01-03-2012   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

The more I watch Caldwell play this year, the more I want to move OG, as a need in the 2012 draft, higher. This is really a shame since I wanted the Texans to pick him in the 3rd round and we did. I had such high hopes for Caldwell and he played well the first couple years swapping in and out with Brisiel but he has played terrible this year and been a severe disappointment. I still want a WR in the 1st and OG in the 2nd round but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if the Texans swapped priorities and took Cordy Glenn (credit to BL here) in the 1st round and then best WR in the 2nd. I think it would shock alot of people but sure wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
Old 01-04-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
The more I watch Caldwell play this year, the more I want to move OG, as a need in the 2012 draft, higher. This is really a shame since I wanted the Texans to pick him in the 3rd round and we did. I had such high hopes for Caldwell and he played well the first couple years swapping in and out with Brisiel but he has played terrible this year and been a severe disappointment. I still want a WR in the 1st and OG in the 2nd round but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if the Texans swapped priorities and took Cordy Glenn (credit to BL here) in the 1st round and then best WR in the 2nd. I think it would shock alot of people but sure wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
I think Zeitler may be avail @ #56.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read