Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011   #281
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade IS More Valuable Than Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My point was that it takes even the great ones time to get up to speed. The sucky ones never do. The jury is still out on where Yates will land. Great? Sucky? Between? Who knows.

As an aside, remember Brady's first playoff game was the Oakland "tuck rule" game. ...just the first of many things that would be ruled in his favor. I wish we had a guardian angel looking out for us

...but I digress, sorry

EDIT: Went back to check. Vs. the Colts, the Pats scored 3 times on the ground and Ty Law had a pick-six in that first Colts game. In rather delightful news (to me) Major Forehead (Manning) was picked off 3 times (including the pick-six).

In his second game, the stats indicate Brady was tentative; 12 of 24 for 87 yds, no TDs or picks. Orrrrr maybe Belichick "had the handcuffs on" his young QB. Or maybe Brady was getting used to the speed of the game and was being cautious. Anyway, the 'Phins' running game controlled the clock and their defense shut down Antowain Smith (10 carries/47 yds/1 TD).
Good stuff in there, thanks for sharing.

I am proud to say that I knew his first playoff game was the infamous snowy game where the ref rolled out the Tuck Rule. I remember thinking, at the time, "Wow, that is destiny changing type stuff going on right there." At that point, you knew stars were aligning. The call itself was legitimate, it's just the idea that the blitzing defender was only a split second LATE in getting to Brady. Otherwise, it's game over and no Super Bowl for Brady.

I think of the Franco reception, the Immaculate Reception, when I recall the Patriots-Raiders game where the Tuck Rule came into play. Crazy plays that alter NFL history.
Old 12-31-2011   #282
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Wonk, wonk, wonk... You sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.
Enough with the insults they just make you look like a troll which I think you are. So there.
Old 12-31-2011   #283
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade and Gary seemingly need one another, IMO.

Good offense guy (Kubiak) and a good defense guy (Phillips) can't get it done when it's just them alone with a team. They're a dynamic duo, those two are.
Old 12-31-2011   #284
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not hire a better coach if he were to become available by another team and keep Wade rather than just giving Gary an extension?
Old 12-31-2011   #285
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Why not hire a better coach if he were to become available by another team and keep Wade rather than just giving Gary an extension?
McNair believes in maintaining harmony. He wants a known commodity.

A lot of factors, fair or not, will ensure that he stays our HC. The chiefest reason is that we've had crazy injuries to our best QB and our best WR. This was a lockout year, and the team still won the division. A fifth-round rookie QB won the Bengals game and ensured a playoff appearance for us. Gary kept his hands off the defense and Wade turned that ship around from worst to first.

All these things point toward McNair seeking as low of a risk on the future as he can, which means retaining Kubiak as HC. This thing has a very Tom Landry Early Years feel to it, btw. Great football mind, very stoic and had a poker face on the sideline, was obsessed about the details to the point that he felt the players would succeed if they JUST carried out his plans and strategies and the way he designed plays and called plays. Staubach is on record as saying that he knows Landry didn't value players much because Landry vehemently maintained that it was "the system" and not the players that mattered most. Sounds a lot like Plug-n-Play tactics of Shanahan and Kubiak to me, right?

Not saying he becomes LIKE Landry completely, but I think McNair feels he is on the verge of creating a dynasty if he just keeps things the way they are.
Old 12-31-2011   #286
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 113586 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who do you recommend?
No team would fire/release their head coach if he had a better season than we had this year?

...well, there's the Marty Schottenheimer case in San Diego...
but that's an anomaly ...and it really didn't work
Old 12-31-2011   #287
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Who do you recommend?
No team would fire/release their head coach if he had a better season than we had this year?

...well, there's the Marty Schottenheimer case in San Diego...
but that's an anomaly ...and it really didn't work
I see the Giants and Eagles possibly releasing their coaches. MAYBE.
Old 12-31-2011   #288
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 113586 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see the Giants and Eagles possibly releasing their coaches. MAYBE.
hmmm...

Maybe Reid, since he made all those F/A moves that haven't really paid off. But I don't see Coughlin getting the axe. Of course, in NYC ya never know.
Old 12-31-2011   #289
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
hmmm...

Maybe Reid, since he made all those F/A moves that haven't really paid off. But I don't see Coughlin getting the axe. Of course, in NYC ya never know.
That is why I just said Maybe because you never know.
Old 12-31-2011   #290
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 29599 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Enough with the insults they just make you look like a troll which I think you are. So there.
Well gee thanks Gary, and Happy New Year to you also!

Just another name caller, which shows your age, at least mentally. I won't lose any sleep over what you or anyone else thinks about me.

Best wishes to you all... Happy New Year!

"Keenum has an aura about him". -Andre Johnson
"She did a Mean Macarena to the Funky Cold Medina" -S. Hagar
Old 12-31-2011   #291
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't go back to see where youe would fire off this type of post, but let me say this.... We've seen (literally) a number of jackasses that fade away pretty quick!!! This poster will be another....

When are you, Mom and Aunt gonna make it back to Blue Crew.... You know, your home away from home??
Old 12-31-2011   #292
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofish View Post
well gee thanks gary, and happy new year to you also!

Just another name caller, which shows your age, at least mentally. I won't lose any sleep over what you or anyone else thinks about me.

Best wishes to you all... Happy new year!
you started the name calling with db, tex, and others not me you just reek like a troll happy new year.
Old 12-31-2011   #293
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I didn't go back to see where youe would fire off this type of post, but let me say this.... We've seen (literally) a number of jackasses that fade away pretty quick!!! This poster will be another....

When are you, Mom and Aunt gonna make it back to Blue Crew.... You know, your home away from home??
I tried to score tickets to a playoff game my very first one but they are all sold out. P.S. for those of you on Facebook please click on the link for Curt and join the cause.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read