Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2004   #1
Andre_Johnson88
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via MSN to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via Yahoo to Andre_Johnson88
Question Improvement of offensive live

What are everyone's thoughts on how improved the o-line will be this season?Personally,I think they have been improving each year in their abilities as a unit and hopefully they shall continue to be even better this year.Also,is our o-line coach pretty good out of curiosity?
Old 05-05-2004   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

They are on a nice curve. Dom Davis ran for 1000 yards in 10 games and Carr was only sacked 15 times (not including Banks and Ragone). Adding Bruenner and Wade should allow us to help Pitts since we have always had journeymen at RT so far. Joppru should be a tough blocker too if he can come in healthy. I look for big things. The only spot that is unsettled is LG, and that spot is up in the air imo because of our new blocking scheme.

Also, we are moving to more zone blocking (like the Broncos) this year so look for us to struggle early, but gel towards the mid point in the season. We should have a fine unit in place for our serious playoff run of 2005.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

The line should be pretty good. Wade is a upgrade over Randall. An intresting battle to watch in mini camp is whether Milford Brown can get back his starting LG spot that Todd Washington took when Brown got injured. The other spots on the line are locks. Although I wonder what Seth Wand has done...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Washington has a shot to start with our new zone blocking scheme. He has lead feet. This is Weary's shot to start if he has matured. This slot ought to be between Weary and Brown. I'm thinking Washington will have a tough time making the team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I forgot about Weary. He is very athletic but raw. He could play center in like 2 seasons when McKinney's contract is up and if McKinney asks for too much.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 05-05-2004   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Im gonna be watching Wand like a hawk. He is possibly our LT of the future.. if he comes around, id watch for him to take over as starting LT by mid season.. if he isnt quite ready.. id look for it next season. Pitts is gonna make a great LG if Wand comes around.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

just out of curiousity who is our other back-up tackle...i know wand is backing up both techniquely but who is the next guy in line for the tackle position...jones?
Old 05-05-2004   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
just out of curiousity who is our other back-up tackle...i know wand is backing up both techniquely but who is the next guy in line for the tackle position...jones?
Yeah it is Garrick Jones and Curry Dawson

Old 05-05-2004   #9
BigTex
Rookie

Never heard of either of them, to be exact I don't know a thing about em. I would like to see someone step up and become a grade A backup, that way depth is not an issue. There has to be someone out there who is not getting the chance to play that has the abilities right? lol. . . . .
Old 05-05-2004   #10
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
Zach Weigert would be our fourth, or emergency tackle, after Pitts, Wade and Wand. They will still need a tackle for practice purposes, but I see them only activating Pitts, Wade and Wand on game day.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #11
Mistril48
All Pro

Which of the following do you think will have the biggest influence on the improvement of the offensive line:

(a) Infusion of new talent (Todd Wade);
(b) Maturation of younger players (Pitts, Wand, Brown, Weary); or
(c) New offensive line coach, Joe Pendry (new scheme and perhaps re-shuffling of positions)?
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
Which of the following do you think will have the biggest influence on the improvement of the offensive line:

(c) New offensive line coach, Joe Pendry (new scheme and perhaps re-shuffling of positions)?
B no doubt, Pitts is improving, Brown and Weary have experience and are both battling for the starting LG spot.

Old 05-06-2004   #13
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48

Both a and b, Adding Talent and the improving of young players, are line should have a pretty good year.

I heared about them introducing the zone scheme, I don't think they are going to use as much as some people believe. Are personal are too big and not as swift a foot as the Bronco's Line. We will use it on certain plays and circumstances, but still think you will see a lot of straight ahead smash mouth blocking this year. :
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read