Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Phillips: Cushing 'one of the best' he's coached

Quote:
First things first, it's great to see Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips up and around and back with the team. The plan is for Phillips to be up in the coaches box Sunday as he works his way back into his normal routine.

Second, I've never been one to make a big deal out of anything related to the Pro Bowl, but something that Phillips said today caught my attention.

When asked for his thoughts on Brian Cushing not being chosen for the Pro Bowl, Phillips went off on a pretty good rant.

"How (Brian) Cushing did not make the Pro Bowl is beyond me," said Phillips. "I mean the guy’s got at least 160, 180 tackles by our count, which is coaches’ count, which is the correct count. I know a lot of people are deserving, but that guy is a holy phenom, now. He’s one of the best I’ve coached (and I've) been in it a long time. That’s my say so.”

One of the best Phillips has coached and a 'holy phenom' to boot. High praise coming from Wade.

Cushing was very appreciative of his coach's comments.

"You play for the respect of your peers and you play for the respect of your coaches and coming from him, that means the world for me," said Cushing. "That’s one of those guys, to get his approval and his praise, that’s the reason you play the game.”
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...t-he-s-coached

which I will also link ,what I feel is, the official Brian Cushing thread on TT

Cush SMASH
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #2
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips: Cushing 'one of the best' he's coached

I would love to hear anyone explain/justify Cush being snubbed. I don't understand it at all. I saw we only had 2 pro bowl picks and I was stunned that Cush wasn't a starter.

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Real reason...He still is seen as 'roided up. Until, if, he can shake that others outside of the Texans family will not appreciate what he does on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #4
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I would love to hear anyone explain/justify Cush being snubbed. I don't understand it at all. I saw we only had 2 pro bowl picks and I was stunned that Cush wasn't a starter.

Maybe the refs voted on the pro bowl.
Old 12-29-2011   #5
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Real reason...He still is seen as 'roided up. Until, if, he can shake that others outside of the Texans family will not appreciate what he does on the field.
Yea it's unfortunate for Cushing but he may be too stigmatized for the rest of his NFL career as far as being on the receiving end of awards from his NFL peers.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Yea it's unfortunate for Cushing but he may be too stigmatized for the rest of his NFL career as far as being on the receiving end of awards from his NFL peers.
nothing a few stellar performances in the playoffs cant cure....hes gotta hit the playoffs this year and be a complete animal to begin shedding that label. he can start 1st thing this year..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

That's the thing, it's gonna take time. Look what happened to Shawne Merriman, went from All-Pro to where is he now?

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2011   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy Phenoms on Parade!
Old 12-30-2011   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

But do not LBs Pat Angerer and D'qwell Jackson also have as much to complain about as Cushing ?
My big complaint is that over-the-hill Ray Lewis playing behind arguable the best DLine in the league gets the nod to visit Honolulu over any and all of those three guys. On the the other hand, unlike loud-mouth look-at-me Lewis, I thought the Chiefs Derrick Johnson made the team on merit.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #10
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
That's the thing, it's gonna take time. Look what happened to Shawne Merriman, went from All-Pro to where is he now?
His production fell off though. Cushing's has increased.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
His production fell off though. Cushing's has increased.
He hasn't played in 4 years. I'd say his production fell off. Until Cush can get out of that tainted group he won't be getting his due respect.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2011   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

ok I will speak on behalf of the fat ass elephant sitting right over in the corner over there....

I think getting the 4 gm ban for PEDs last year is the main reason Cushing is not on the Pro Bowl. He was selected his rookie year becasue everyone thought he was a beast, find out he was just pregnant.

Last year, presumably off the PEDs, he had a very below subpar year, for what ever reason you would like to list.

this year, a beast mode again. So maybe voters do not trust that Cushing is doing it legit thus overlooked...

The one I am still baffled about is that "reach of a draft pick" Duane Brown that is THE ONLY LT in the NFL that has not given up a sack this year...

Explain that one to me...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #13
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Hmmm...Ray Lewis anyone? Murder goes down as worse than 'roids in my book.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
ok I will speak on behalf of the fat ass elephant sitting right over in the corner over there....

I think getting the 4 gm ban for PEDs last year is the main reason Cushing is not on the Pro Bowl. He was selected his rookie year becasue everyone thought he was a beast, find out he was just pregnant.

Last year, presumably off the PEDs, he had a very below subpar year, for what ever reason you would like to list.

this year, a beast mode again. So maybe voters do not trust that Cushing is doing it legit thus overlooked...

The one I am still baffled about is that "reach of a draft pick" Duane Brown that is THE ONLY LT in the NFL that has not given up a sack this year...

Explain that one to me...
combination of bad timing (losing last two games) when voters where casting ballots, & poor memory/attention span, why both players (Cushing/Brown) did not make Pro-Bowl team. Fortunate thing is they still have a chance to prove how wrong those voters are who left them off their ballot.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post

Watch it

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read