Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Does Coach Kubiak Deserve an Extension?
Yes 27 37.50%
No 45 62.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2011   #41
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Kubiak Deserve an Extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
This is where we need McNair the businessman to step up. He has the leverage with Kubiak since he is under contract and this is Kubiak's hometown.

What is the upside to extending Kubiak this year, in the absence of not securing Phillips?
With the possible exception of Wade being here as a potential replacement (which doesn't excite me in the least for whatever that's worth), what's different now than in 2009? If anything, the 2011 season is clearly more worthy of an extension than that year was, regardless of what happens from here on out. So what do you think is different that would cause Bob to sit tight when he felt an extension was necessary and appropriate two years ago?
Old 12-30-2011   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote no. He can be extended during 2012 if warrented.
Old 12-30-2011   #43
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
With the possible exception of Wade being here as a potential replacement (which doesn't excite me in the least for whatever that's worth), what's different now than in 2009? If anything, the 2011 season is clearly more worthy of an extension than that year was, regardless of what happens from here on out. So what do you think is different that would cause Bob to sit tight when he felt an extension was necessary and appropriate two years ago?
The 2009 extension delivered a 6-10 season in 2010. In 2011 Phillips showed up and a ten win season was delivered. That is all we know at this point.

It's McNair's money with no bearing on the cap, but he certainly is in the driver's seat to wait. As someone vested since day one I do not want to witness a ten win season every ten or six years.

There is no need to extend at this point.
Old 12-30-2011   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Wade told them who he wanted in the draft. Wade told them who he wanted in free agency.
& the players don't look any different than the players we've gotten in the past. Jj Watt turned out better than Okoye, but as far as type of player I think a description of Watt could result in picking Okoye & a description of Okoye could result in picking Watt.

Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin... what's the difference?

High energy, good character, team leaders..... probably the same description that put Kareem ahead of Kyle Wilson on our draft board.

I doubt there was anyone @Reliant that did not want to target Asomugha, Joseph, Taylor...... in that order.

Weddle & Manning were probably also on that list before Wade got here.

Quote:
Wade coached his defense and Wade changed the entire franchise outlook in the process.
100% agree with this, but I don't think Rick Smith is doing his job any different than before Wade. Sharpton, Dobbins..... look like the same guy to me. Charmichael, McMannis... freak'n twins. McCain/Harris.... not much different.

The 4 players we added to the defense last season aren't much different than the players we've added in years past. Antonio & Watt.... Reed & Barwin... Bodden & Joseph... (Bodden was a pipe dream)... Pollard & Quin... Quin is better in coverage, but we use them virtually the same way.
Old 12-30-2011   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Our biggest problem this season has been injuries and I hold those against no coach. Not even the ones I don't particularly care for. That stuff just happens.

So what about Frank Bush? Same thing. We lost Cushing (because he was expecting), then Demeco, Diles, Wilson, Connor, Bulman, Mario played with a hernia for 3 weeks because we didn't have a DE to fill out our DL rotation. Demeco, Mario, Cushing didn't play one full game together last year. & that's our defense... well it was.

The only difference, is that despite those injuries, Wade didn't stop doing what made us successful where FBush did.

I agree, that Wade's experience has probably taught him that. If Frank Bush had a good head coach, he probably wouldn't have continued to make that same mistake.

We spent all year trying to get better at something we weren't built to do. You would see us play for a Quarter, maybe a half the way we did in 2009, the way we do now & they were actually pretty impressive, that defense allowed for all those comebacks, whether they were shutting down Donovan McNabb & the 'Skins or Phillip Rivers & the #1 offense in the league.
Old 12-30-2011   #46
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we already had a thread about this: Let's Lock Gary up for another 6 years

Old 12-30-2011   #47
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The 2009 extension delivered a 6-10 season in 2010. In 2011 Phillips showed up and a ten win season was delivered. That is all we know at this point.

It's McNair's money with no bearing on the cap, but he certainly is in the driver's seat to wait. As someone vested since day one I do not want to witness a ten win season every ten or six years.

There is no need to extend at this point.
Again, there was no more reason to extend after 2009 (if anything, less reason than after this season), yet it happened.

In McNair's mind, it could also well be that the extension is viewed as leading to the 11-5 or 10-6 season as well as to the 6-10 season, and since it's a what have you done for me lately league, the more recent one would trump 2010. Wade's contribution has to be clearly recognized as well, and based on my perception of McNair formed after watching him over the past 10 seasons, I believe his response to this season will be to extend both Gary and Wade in an attempt to keep a successful partnership intact as long as he can. He will up Wade's salary in an attempt to get him to stick around long term (even though he's already the highest paid DC in the NFL), and give Kubes enough of a raise to get him to agree to another two years (at least).

Please note that this is not a what "should" happen scenario as I'm much more interested in trying to understand what those actually in a position to impact things are thinking than I am in forming opinions of my own that ultimately are worthless. Although I will say the idea of Kubiak and Phillips continuing in their current roles for another two or three years doesn't bother me one little bit.
Old 12-30-2011   #48
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is where we need McNair the businessman to step up. He has the leverage with Kubiak since he is under contract and this is Kubiak's hometown.

What is the upside to extending Kubiak this year, in the absence of not securing Phillips?

I don't see any but I think he'll do it anyway. I don't agree with it, I just think that's what will happen.
Old 12-30-2011   #49
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude just earned his 1st "unearned" extension this year, McNair has earned enough good wil from him to let him hang out to dry a little before he extends him again. Right now, he's just got to concentrate on making sure that this season isn't an anomaly.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #50
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 78148 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

No way
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #51
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does Kubiak Deserve an Extension?
No. He's not even a .500 head coach. One successful season out of six does not warrant it, IMO.

McNair will probably do it, though. It's the way he rolls. Gary has been on the right track for years now, regardless of results, and that's all that matters to the big boss. Well, that and umpteen consecutive sellouts.
Old 12-30-2011   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& the players don't look any different than the players we've gotten in the past. Jj Watt turned out better than Okoye, but as far as type of player I think a description of Watt could result in picking Okoye & a description of Okoye could result in picking Watt.

Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin... what's the difference?

High energy, good character, team leaders..... probably the same description that put Kareem ahead of Kyle Wilson on our draft board.

I doubt there was anyone @Reliant that did not want to target Asomugha, Joseph, Taylor...... in that order.

Weddle & Manning were probably also on that list before Wade got here.

100% agree with this, but I don't think Rick Smith is doing his job any different than before Wade. Sharpton, Dobbins..... look like the same guy to me. Charmichael, McMannis... freak'n twins. McCain/Harris.... not much different.

The 4 players we added to the defense last season aren't much different than the players we've added in years past. Antonio & Watt.... Reed & Barwin... Bodden & Joseph... (Bodden was a pipe dream)... Pollard & Quin... Quin is better in coverage, but we use them virtually the same way.
LOL at this post

Was the Gary/Bush led defense not historically bad last yr? My mind seems to be failing me.

Hasn't Rick and Gary not had 5 yrs together to put together a competent defense. I would say Wade knows how a defense is supposed to work and knows what to look for talent wise to make it work.
Rick and Bush didn't have a clue how to put a defense together. 5 yrs of evidence and 2 DC's tells me this.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #53
Pieman2005
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Pieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respectedPieman2005 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
Easy Yes. The Texans have under achieved in the past but the only reason it was an under achievment and not what the Texans really were capable of was due to fumbles, missed field goals, and injuries, not Gary Kubiak. Gary has drafted and play called and hired to put us in a great position.

......he will get a contract extension because the people who make those decisions know what they are doing
Not sure if serious..
Pieman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #54
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I voted "no" because I don't think his body of work justifies keeping him.

The responses to this thread, and this one in particular made me think

I don't think Wade is going anywhere but even if he does you can imagine that more than likely we've seen the last of first time "I think I can do it" DC's around these parts. McNair this year saw results instantly from the arrival of one man who knew what he was doing. Wade told them who he wanted in the draft. Wade told them who he wanted in free agency. Wade coached his defense and Wade changed the entire franchise outlook in the process.

Our biggest problem this season has been injuries and I hold those against no coach. Not even the ones I don't particularly care for. That stuff just happens.

Does anyone think that Wade could leave and that Gary & Rick would be able to go see McNair and say "We know this one guy who used to coach defensive backs at Denver and we think he might make a good DC. He's never done it before but we have a lot of faith in him"?

I don't think that dog is going to hunt anymore. At least I hope to hell it won't.
I said the same thing in an earlier post but you said it better.
The businessman in McNair knows to stick with what has proven to bring results. And that is to hire someone that has been successful as a DC. No more experimenting by bumping up position coaches.

If I were Rick Smith, I'd be a little nervous that the boss had to step in and do a job - hire a very qualified DC - that he should have done years ago. I mean when the boss does your job better than you, why does he really need you?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #55
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

If I were Rick Smith, I'd be a little nervous that the boss had to step in and do a job - hire a very qualified DC - that he should have done years ago. I mean when the boss does your job better than you, why does he really need you?
GMs don't fill out coaching staffs. That's usually the job of the head coach. McNair did Kubiak's job.
Old 12-31-2011   #56
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
The Texans have under achieved in the past but the only reason it was an under achievment and not what the Texans really were capable of was due to fumbles, missed field goals, and injuries, not Gary Kubiak.
Don't forget hurricanes.
Old 12-31-2011   #57
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote we automatically change HC every three years unless they win a SuperBowl. I mean, it's worked out pretty well for Detroit, just look at them now.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #58
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
GMs don't fill out coaching staffs. That's usually the job of the head coach. McNair did Kubiak's job.
Good point. One more reason Kubiak will likely not get that extension until next year. Uncle Bob may like GK but why should he make that decision before he has to?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #59
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Good point. One more reason Kubiak will likely not get that extension until next year. Uncle Bob may like GK but why should he make that decision before he has to?
Kubiak will get that extension. Bank on that. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

I thought that McNair had no choice but to extend Kubiak in 2009. Though he hadn't earned it. The organization needed the stability, I thought. I think Kubiak relaxed, and staying status quo led to the 2010 disaster.

After making the playoffs and heading into the final contract year, there's zero doubt that McNair will extend everyone. I don't agree with it. Kubiak, Smith, and company need that carrot, I think. But, I would have axed Kubiak and Smith after the '08 season and hired Cowher. McNair and I have never see eye-to-eye on Kubiak.
Old 12-31-2011   #60
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Kubiak will get that extension. Bank on that. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

I thought that McNair had no choice but to extend Kubiak in 2009. Though he hadn't earned it. The organization needed the stability, I thought. I think Kubiak relaxed, and staying status quo led to the 2010 disaster.

After making the playoffs and heading into the final contract year, there's zero doubt that McNair will extend everyone. I don't agree with it. Kubiak, Smith, and company need that carrot, I think. But, I would have axed Kubiak and Smith after the '08 season and hired Cowher. McNair and I have never see eye-to-eye on Kubiak.
I'm pretty much in agreement with Lucky here except for the extension in 2009. I've never understood the whole "lame duck" thing. Earn it.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read