Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Does Coach Kubiak Deserve an Extension?
Yes 27 37.50%
No 45 62.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2011   #21
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Kubiak Deserve an Extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
Easy Yes. The Texans have under achieved in the past but the only reason it was an under achievment and not what the Texans really were capable of was due to fumbles, missed field goals, and injuries, not Gary Kubiak. Gary has drafted and play called and hired to put us in a great position.

......he will get a contract extension because the people who make those decisions know what they are doing
Lol.....tell me your not serioius & you just forgot to include the sarcasm smilie.....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #22
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Tough call, but the reality is that Kubiak will almost certainly get an extension even if he were to lose each of the last 2 games (to include the playoff game), by a margin of 3 TDs or more meaning he'd finish the 2011-2012 season with 4 consecutive losses.
It was a weak schedule to be sure, but on the other hand winning those back-to-back games and the division and playoff berth vs ATL and Cinci with the 5th round rookie at the helm was no small feat. And in spite of the overall schedule, I think the Texans did have a winning record vs 2012 playoff teams they played this year to this point in time ?
I'd amend the existing contract, adding a single year, and then he'd be under contract thru the 2013 season.
Agreed that this is the way it will go. If McNair extended Kubiak after a 9-7 season that didn't get us into the playoffs, I can't imagine there's any way in the world he's not going to get at least two years again this time around.
Old 12-30-2011   #23
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

He doesn't deserve a thing. We have seen how his team performs without the Son of Bum for five years and two games. It ain't pretty.
Old 12-30-2011   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I'd say he's earned the right to play out his contract. A playoff win gets him a short extension. A deep run will get him a lot more than that.

Too bad we can't just hire Wade as HC and give Kubiak a 10 year OC contract, LOL.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #25
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 104065 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This....... I voted no, but if he puts this team in the AFC Championship game, I'd be all for it.

Personally, I think McNair is thinking along the same lines. He may be happy with one play off win, but if we're 1 & done, I doubt he gets an extension.
Amen, if he can take the team to a ROAD playoff win, he's earned it.
Old 12-30-2011   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair likes Kubiak. He's getting an extension. I believe McNair is going to see all that Gary has done with all the circumstances this team has faced and will believe Gary is the coach of this team.

Let's all remember what this team has done. It was one of the first teams to clinch a playoff spots. When talking about best records in the AFC we are one of the top 4 teams. Alot of people thought we'd have to back into the playoffs at the beginning of the season BUT we didn't. We aren't a wild card, we are a division champ. We had a 7 game win streak after losing 3 Pro Bowl starters on our team along with a many more key contributors to our team. Other teams with that kind of circumstance fold it up and get ready for next season but Gary showed LEADERSHIP and got us to those wins.

Did he need help? Yes. Is Wade a big reason for Gary's success? Yes. However Gary has done a great job of knowing when Wade's going to win a game and he's not. He did a great job of allowing Wade to get his draft picks to make that defense better vs. being an egotistical head coach that still wanted to draft to make his offense look real good. Sometimes stepping back and letting your people do their job is leadership too.

Then go back and look at what some of the goals were for this team this year.

Get 10 wins - check
Have a winning division record - Check
Sweep Division - no
Playoff Berth - check
Win the division - check
Playoff Bye - no

The two NOs could be because of the circumstances this team has faced though. I'd like to see what Kubiak does with a healthy team now.

I'm sorry but Gary has earned his extension. I'm a guy that wanted him fired last year and didn't think that mixing Wade with Gary would be that much of a turnaround.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #27
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Right now I'd say he's earned the right to play out his contract. A playoff win gets him a short extension. A deep run will get him a lot more than that.
I agree with this.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #28
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
where are all those clever 'WARY' ppl now??

anyway yes he deserves (and will) to to be extended. he doesnt deserve to be a lameduck HC next yr. with or without wade, i think kubiak now have enough talent and has gleamed enough off wade this year to have a good defence going forward for the team to be successful- not to mention wade's replacement will more than likely be one of his coaches
If Wade is lured away by another head coaching gig...
<---- me
...I think McNair will hire another defensive-minded, former HC to replace him. He's been burned too many times by assistant coaches with insufficient experience.

Let me take you back to January when Wade was hired; check out what Uncle Bob said about who to hire for the defensive coordinator spot. Keep in mind that this was the day Frank Bush, et. al. were fired. More importantly, it was before Wade was hired....
Quote:
(on how important it might be to get a defensive coordinator with head coaching experience) I think that a person with that background brings a lot to the table, because your head coach is in a unique position, and to have someone on his staff whos been in that same position and understands what hes going through when he has some tough questions that he has to answer, its someone he can go to and sit down and discuss some of those issues and know that they have a common background. So I think it adds quite a bit.
naaah... I'd be amazed if we see any more "elevate an assistant" experiments from McNair.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If McNair can get a commitment from Wade to stay here for 2/3/+ more years, then yes.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #30
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait it out
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #31
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Tough call, but the reality is that Kubiak will almost certainly get an extension even if he were to lose each of the last 2 games (to include the playoff game), by a margin of 3 TDs or more meaning he'd finish the 2011-2012 season with 4 consecutive losses.
It was a weak schedule to be sure, but on the other hand winning those back-to-back games and the division and playoff berth vs ATL and Cinci with the 5th round rookie at the helm was no small feat. And in spite of the overall schedule, I think the Texans did have a winning record vs 2012 playoff teams they played this year to this point in time ?
I'd amend the existing contract, adding a single year, and then he'd be under contract thru the 2013 season.
Actually, that's a well thought out post..... & I wouldn't be opposed to 1 year.

Kudos.
Old 12-30-2011   #32
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Where's the "Only if Wade comes with him" option??
Agreed. To me, Kubes has to be handcuffed to Wade. Without Wade, Kubes is around .500. With Wade, the Texans are a playoff team.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
Easy Yes. The Texans have under achieved in the past but the only reason it was an under achievment and not what the Texans really were capable of was due to fumbles, missed field goals, and injuries, not Gary Kubiak. Gary has drafted and play called and hired to put us in a great position.

......he will get a contract extension because the people who make those decisions know what they are doing

I like Kubes, but I can't even go in there. WOW!

Nitrofish thinks you're being a Gary homer.
Old 12-30-2011   #34
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

This question is a joke right now. One good season out of six? An extension? He deserves to keep his job another season. That's it. If he can deliver two back to back seasons of a great team that goes deep at least once than we can talk. Until than this is laugh to even talk about.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #35
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
He doesn't deserve a thing. We have seen how his team performs without the Son of Bum for five years and two games. It ain't pretty.
Well, lets think about this for a moment.

First I want to say that I was on board with firing Gary Kubiak after the 6-10 season & today, I'm in the group that wants him to be a lame duck. But, just to play devil's advocate & some balance to this conversation.

Let's say that the 2009 season was the first season most (of us here) wanted him fired.

To me, it's all about the goals you set & what you've accomplished in light of those goals. 2009, was our "Play-offs or bust" year. So let's say that was the goal. How did we do?

Well, we didn't make the play-offs. Why not? Because the Jets beat us in week one & we failed to win more than 9 games. In a nutshell, that's what it was.

So let's look at the possibility of winning 10 games. That year, our schedule was,
Jets, Tenn, Jacksonville, Oakland, Arizona, Cincinnati, 49ers, Buffalo, Indy, Tenn, Indy, Jacksonville, Seattle, St Louis, Miami, & New England.

Tennessee won the division in 2008 with 13 wins, Indy was second with 12 wins, Jacksonville only won 5 games. So it would have been reasonable to expect a split with Tenn & Indy & a sweep of Jacksonville for 4 wins in the division.

We finished with 1 win inside the division.

Oakland should have been thought of as a W, Cinci, 49ers, Buffalo, Seattle, St Louis, & Miami should have been thought of the same.... that's 7 games. We were perfect against these teams (7-0)

Jets & Arizona should have been thought of as Maybe; we lost both (0-2)

New England should have been a probably won't win. We did.. 1

So realistically, we should have thought we would win 11 to 13 games.

I remember before the season, I said we would win 11-12 games & most of you said I was smoking something. So let's say 10 games should have been the expectation.

We won 9.

So, "realistically" we should have expected 10 wins & a play-off berth.. he missed it by one game & he missed the play-offs by losing to the wrong team (had we won the Jets game & went 0-6 in the division we'd have been in the play-offs).... Is that cause to fire him?

I didn't think so & I don't understand those who said it was....

So anyway, we (McNair, Cal, Rick Smith, & Gary) have a sit down at the end of the season, Gary/Rick blow a lot of smoke Gary gets an extension (is that right? was he extended at the end of the 2009 season?) & we (they) set the goals for the next year.

Let's fast forward to definitely failed against 2010 expectations........ the question is why?

Personally, I think the rookie CB was the biggest reason. Why did that happen? Did Kubiak say Kareem was good enough? Or did Rick Smith fail to get someone who was?

Personally, I think Rick Smith failed & Kubiak had to do what he had to do. Now, how can that abysmal season be credited to one player? I think the plan was that we were going to play a lot of zone & try to help the rookie. If you've paid attention to anything I've said since then, this team was not built to play zone. Our LB need to be attacking the LOS... our Corners need to be physical at the line & play solid man to man coverage.... Our DL..... need to penetrate. See what we did in 2009, that's what we did. See what wade has done in 2011, that's what we do. See how we give up more yards when we play zone.... check the Colts game.

I think we should have left Kareem on that island, let the rest of the D do what they're good at & make things hard for QBs & RBs... sink or swim.

So..... I credit Rick Smith for not getting a veteran CB.. but who's decision was it to play so much zone coverage? If it wasn't Gary's, it should have been... so I blame him for that.

Is that enough to fire him for? Again, I would have been fine with firing Gary at this time, but would have much preferred to fire Rick Smith & get a real GM who wasn't hand picked by the newbie head coach...

So... why did I write all this?

I have no idea.
Old 12-30-2011   #36
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted "no" because I don't think his body of work justifies keeping him.

The responses to this thread, and this one in particular made me think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
where are all those clever 'WARY' ppl now??

anyway yes he deserves (and will) to to be extended. he doesnt deserve to be a lameduck HC next yr. with or without wade, i think kubiak now have enough talent and has gleamed enough off wade this year to have a good defence going forward for the team to be successful- not to mention wade's replacement will more than likely be one of his coaches
I don't think Wade is going anywhere but even if he does you can imagine that more than likely we've seen the last of first time "I think I can do it" DC's around these parts. McNair this year saw results instantly from the arrival of one man who knew what he was doing. Wade told them who he wanted in the draft. Wade told them who he wanted in free agency. Wade coached his defense and Wade changed the entire franchise outlook in the process.

Our biggest problem this season has been injuries and I hold those against no coach. Not even the ones I don't particularly care for. That stuff just happens.

Does anyone think that Wade could leave and that Gary & Rick would be able to go see McNair and say "We know this one guy who used to coach defensive backs at Denver and we think he might make a good DC. He's never done it before but we have a lot of faith in him"?

I don't think that dog is going to hunt anymore. At least I hope to hell it won't.

With that major change in place I think the single biggest shortcoming Gary has is resolved. The man might be an offensive genius. He might be able to coach a QB up like nobody else. He might have his team 100% behind him and inspire loyalty from them in any situation but he doesn't know shit about hiring a DC or coaching a defense. You take that out of his hands and you're probably looking at a coach who is good enough to win in this league.

That coach will get an extension and in a couple more years will actually deserve it.
Old 12-30-2011   #37
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It is not a question of firing Kubiak, it is a question of extending him past 2012 after the 2011 season. The answer should be a resounding "no" until we see how 2012 goes, specifically having Phillips aboard.
Old 12-30-2011   #38
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I voted "no" because I don't think his body of work justifies keeping him.

The responses to this thread, and this one in particular made me think

I don't think Wade is going anywhere but even if he does you can imagine that more than likely we've seen the last of first time "I think I can do it" DC's around these parts. McNair this year saw results instantly from the arrival of one man who knew what he was doing. Wade told them who he wanted in the draft. Wade told them who he wanted in free agency. Wade coached his defense and Wade changed the entire franchise outlook in the process.

Our biggest problem this season has been injuries and I hold those against no coach. Not even the ones I don't particularly care for. That stuff just happens.

Does anyone think that Wade could leave and that Gary & Rick would be able to go see McNair and say "We know this one guy who used to coach defensive backs at Denver and we think he might make a good DC. He's never done it before but we have a lot of faith in him"?

I don't think that dog is going to hunt anymore. At least I hope to hell it won't.

With that major change in place I think the single biggest shortcoming Gary has is resolved. The man might be an offensive genius. He might be able to coach a QB up like nobody else. He might have his team 100% behind him and inspire loyalty from them in any situation but he doesn't know shit about hiring a DC or coaching a defense. You take that out of his hands and you're probably looking at a coach who is good enough to win in this league.

That coach will get an extension and in a couple more years will actually deserve it.
Great Post & rep your way. I don't think it's so much Wade Phillips as it is a guy who knows what he's doing on that side of the ball. & if wade does go anywhere else i'm pretty sure McNair's not going for Kubes & Smith's banana in the tailpipe routine again. The person who steps in for wade will likely be a guy who's done it before & had success.

In any event, if wade does decide to leave after a few years we'll be looking at some great candidates to replace him...most notably I Steve Spagnuolo will be gone from STL if they fail again this year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It is not a question of firing Kubiak, it is a question of extending him past 2012 after the 2011 season. The answer should be a resounding "no" until we see how 2012 goes, specifically having Phillips aboard.
Another 10+ win season in 2012 would in my mind confirm that a corner has been turned and then justify a long term extension. another 6-10 or 8-8 road-to-nowhere season would get a firing from me.

I think McNair will extend him though based on this year and the expectation that next season will be another step in the right direction without injuries like we've had this year. He'll base it on the faith he has in Gary which will be a shame (though we all hope he's right and it works out).
Old 12-30-2011   #40
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Another 10+ win season in 2012 would in my mind confirm that a corner has been turned and then justify a long term extension. another 6-10 or 8-8 road-to-nowhere season would get a firing from me.

I think McNair will extend him though based on this year and the expectation that next season will be another step in the right direction without injuries like we've had this year. He'll base it on the faith he has in Gary which will be a shame (though we all hope he's right and it works out).
This is where we need McNair the businessman to step up. He has the leverage with Kubiak since he is under contract and this is Kubiak's hometown.

What is the upside to extending Kubiak this year, in the absence of not securing Phillips?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read