Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-02-2011   #441
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Jake Long, drafted #1 overall by the Dolphins. 3 times to the Pro Bowl. 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Ryan Clady, drafted #12 overall by the Broncos. 1 Pro Bowl and 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Chris Williams, drafted #14 overall by the Bears. Has had some problems. Last year started 13 games as their left guard. (I was hoping we'd get this guy; I didn't think Clady would fall to us.)

Gosder Cherilous, drafted #17 overall by the Lions. Plays RT. Has missed games every year.

Jeff Otah, drafted #19 by the Panthers. Plays RT. Has missed games every year and missed all of 2010.

Sam Baker, drafted #21 by the Falcons. Considered by some to be "the most NFL ready" but with a low ceiling. He's the Falcons starting LT.

Duane's turned out pretty good.
Don't forget Brandon Alberts who has bounced from LT to guard and a couple other spots on the line. Love this pick.
Old 09-02-2011   #442
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's turned into a solid enough player after a few seasons. He wasn't worth his pick when we drafted him, and that's why it's a bad pick. He was more of a developmental pick than anyone is saying. He's a solid player but it was a bad pick. You take those guys in the 3rd round or so. Patriots with Ryan Mallet, Texans with Seth Wand. Thankfully we had Alex Gibbs to teach Brown. Competent coaching helps, because Brown was no better of a prospect coming out than Seth Wand. When there is a name attached to what I've been saying for years, I hope it makes sense to some people. You don't draft Seth Wand in the first round.
Old 09-02-2011   #443
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
He's turned into a solid enough player after a few seasons. He wasn't worth his pick when we drafted him, and that's why it's a bad pick. He was more of a developmental pick than anyone is saying. He's a solid player but it was a bad pick. You take those guys in the 3rd round or so. Patriots with Ryan Mallet, Texans with Seth Wand. Thankfully we had Alex Gibbs to teach Brown. Competent coaching helps, because Brown was no better of a prospect coming out than Seth Wand. When there is a name attached to what I've been saying for years, I hope it makes sense to some people. You don't draft Seth Wand in the first round.
What?

Sounds like you're trying to justify something you may have said about the pick because your post didn't make a lot of sense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #444
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't really say any of that is true unless you had access to all 32 draft boards from 2008. The fact he developed into a good tackle by year two only makes this more wrong. It's okay to admit you were wrong about a pick.
Old 09-03-2011   #445
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Can't really say any of that is true unless you had access to all 32 draft boards from 2008. The fact he developed into a good tackle by year two only makes this more wrong. It's okay to admit you were wrong about a pick.
I've been wrong about plenty. He's not a "good" LT. He's good enough. He's someone the Texans should have no hesitation to draft over if a LT is available.
Old 09-03-2011   #446
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been wrong about plenty. He's not a "good" LT. He's good enough. He's someone the Texans should have no hesitation to draft over if a LT is available.
I disagree.

LT's play an important position and it doesn't make a lot if sense to get rid of a good young one and pray the rookie you bring in isn't s bust.

Maybe give him some good competition, but to just draft over a guy that has been as steady as brown and knows the system well and is a good run blocker would be foolish IMO.

Brown may not be dominant, but for the most part he's been a part of a line that has kept Matt from getting killed all while facing some of the leagues best pass rushers. Brown should be a staple on this line for a long time to come.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #447
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the rushing title and passing title our respective position players have gotten the last two years.
Old 12-28-2011   #448
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
LMAO..

I came in here to bump this thread and forgot it was already bumped earlier in the season....was even more shocked to see you were still bashing the pick clearly after it become apparent that Duane Brown was a HELLUVA good pick.

So are you finally able to admit that you were wrong about the caliber of player Brown is and how you completely over blew his "project status". Duane Brown was never even really a project player. He was a player that needed to get his stamina up to the NFL level and a player that had to grow into the league....just like every other player that gets drafted.

Didn't you say you were going to school to be a scout? ...I wonder how that's working out.

Anyways this thread is funny and they're are some ridiculous responses in it. I loved how the great Texan online jersey thief was ready to jump off a ledge right after the pick was made. I'm sure he's posting under another alias now and wonder how he feels about the pick now. Maybe he can order me one of Brown's jerseys??? It'll be C.O.D. for sure though.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-28-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #449
Heath Shuler
maybe not

Section: 521
Rep Power: 34640 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

Anyways this thread is funny and they're are some ridiculous responses in it. I loved how the great Texan online jersey thief was ready to jump off a ledge right after the pick was made. I'm sure he's posting under another alias now and wonder how he feels about the pick now. Maybe he can order me one of Brown's jerseys??? It'll be C.O.D. for sure though.
Man I hope not, good riddance to bad trash. What username do you think he is using?

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #450
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
... & I hear he (Duane) has a nasty mean streak
You know.. you hear people saying, "I wouldn't want to mess with this guy, or that guy" all the time. A lot of times with athletes, it's just because they're athletes.

Last week, I think, after Jay Ratliff got into it with a reporter, Rob Ryan says, "I wouldn't want to mess with Rat."

Most of the time, I'm thinking, "screw him, he ain't that bad."

Like Ratliff.... I'd take my chances.

But Duane Brown.... in all honesty, I wouldn't want to be standing in front of him on a bad day.
Old 12-29-2011   #451
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

YTF, it's time to realize that "draft value" is a pretty meaningless metric. Brown is a good player, and that's all that matters now. the focus of a draft for any team is to get players who will play well for you, not to achieve some sort of perfect idealized image of "value" from those picks.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #452
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
if he turns into a franchise LT, i'll eat my texans hat live on webcam.
In my best Judge Smails voice..."WELL...we're waiting!"
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #453
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown was Alex Gibbs gift to the Texans much like JJ Watt is via Wade Phillips. Both are old school football players, without flash & hype they give Texans production week in & week out.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #454
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duane Brown was Alex Gibbs gift to the Texans much like JJ Watt is via Wade Phillips. Both are old school football players, without flash & hype they give Texans production week in & week out.
I think there was 7 OTs taken in the first round in 2008 . Brown is easily the best value .

Long Mia
Alberts KC
Williams CHI
Big Dude from Pitt
Gosder Dertoit
Baker Atl
Brown Hou
Old 12-29-2011   #455
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duane Brown was Alex Gibbs gift to the Texans...
Either that or he was the very last available OT with a 1st or 2nd round grade.

I remember lusting after Clady ... then Albert ... then Williams ... then just praying we got any one of the OTs. Draftniks thought Duane had a low ceiling -- Gibbs said "Don't worry, he'll be fine."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #456
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

1 1 Miami Dolphins Jake Long OT Michigan Big Ten

1 12 Denver Broncos Ryan Clady OT Boise State WAC

1 14 Chicago Bears Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt SEC

1 15 Kansas City Chiefs Branden Albert OT Virginia ACC from Detroit

1 17 Detroit Lions Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College ACC from Minnesota via Kansas City

1 19 Carolina Panthers Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh Big East from Philadelphia

1 21 Atlanta Falcons Sam Baker OT USC Pac-10 from Washington

1 26 Houston Texans Duane Brown OT Virginia Tech ACC from Jacksonville via Baltimore
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #457
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's been a very good LT. It's alright to admit that you were wrong on that now in hind sight. I was wrong myself. I hated the pick. I'm glad that I was wrong though. We ended up getting a pretty good LT. Brown didn't need to become an elite LT that makes Pro Bowls every season for this pick to have turned out to be a really good one. Brown has been a pleasant surprise.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #458
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to argue long and hard with YTF about Duane Brown.
I used to argue long and hard with CB (and a few others) about Chris Myers.

I'm still arguing long and hard with ... about ...

Can't wait for 2013!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #459
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I used to argue long and hard with YTF about Duane Brown.
I used to argue long and hard with CB (and a few others) about Chris Myers.

I'm still arguing long and hard with ... about ...

Can't wait for 2013!
you ever do anything long & hard concerning Okoye?
Old 12-30-2011   #460
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
you ever do anything long & hard concerning Okoye?
Nothing of the sort!

Never sing him, never hate him.

Didn't watch him in college.
Didn't have an opinion on him.

It was the year after that I started looking hard into the draft.

Somebody made an avatar and I thought it's cool to support a player.
That's about it.

A couple years ago, when CB complained about Okoye during TC, I simply said "forget about where he was drafted", "he isn't great, but he's not a bust".
No, he doesn't play up to his draft status, but he can still be a part of the defense while we continue to plug other holes.

He's still playing the same for the Bears.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read