Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2011   #1
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Watt's Best Game?

To change up the tune around here... don't you guys think this was Watt's best game of the season? I think he dominated from his position. If it wasn't for the stupid penalties called against him, we would have won the game and Watt could be a strong contender for defensive player of the week (is there such an award?).

He was clearly frustrated with the refs... hopefully this game doesn't discourage him.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Watt's Best Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
To change up the tune around here... don't you guys think this was Watt's best game of the season? I think he dominated from his position. If it wasn't for the stupid penalties called against him, we would have won the game and Watt could be a strong contender for defensive player of the week (is there such an award?).

He was clearly frustrated with the refs... hopefully this game doesn't discourage him.
GREAT GAME by Watt! Absolutely should be in the running for DPOW award. Those penalties were ridiculous. He played his ass off and I hope the league aknowledges him for it and publicly announces the refs were wrong. Clutch play after clutch play by him.
Old 12-23-2011   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, he was getting pressure, sacks, stops in the backfield, knocking down every other pass.....like a one man defense out there. J.J., we love you buddy, don't let those zebras get you down, you keep playing like that we'll be going places!

Easily his best game, save for Barwin's 4 sack domination on the Jags that was probably the 2nd best individual performance for any player on the whole team!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Has anyone ever seen this kind of domination from a 3-4 end?

I haven't. Ever.
Old 12-24-2011   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a fantastic pick. So happy the Texans got him.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #6
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely. Watt showed up to play, definitely doesn't look like he is going to hit the "rookie wall".
Old 12-24-2011   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I haven't. Ever.
??? Bruce Smith.

J.J. Watt did play great though and I'm glad we have him.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2011   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I haven't. Ever.
Watt has the same physical dimensions and athletic abilities as Mario Williams. Imagine how good a motivated Mario could be as a 3-4 DE.

I wasn't going to turn this into an anit-Mario rant, but, anyone notice how the rookie, Watt, has a more diverse set of pass rush skills than Mario does? Watt is going to be an elite NFL player, I believe.
Old 12-24-2011   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I haven't. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
??? Bruce Smith.

Yes, Bruce Smith comes to mind right away.

So does Ray Childress.

In fact, I heard Watt compared to Ray Childress by somebody on draft day.

But I think Watt has a chance to be even better than Childress.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Watt has the same physical dimensions and athletic abilities as Mario Williams. Imagine how good a motivated Mario could be as a 3-4 DE.

I wasn't going to turn this into an anit-Mario rant, but, anyone notice how the rookie, Watt, has a more diverse set of pass rush skills than Mario does? Watt is going to be an elite NFL player, I believe.
And it's not just the moves...he has the drive also. Which is what keeps Mario from being a great player. There is no quit in Watt and he plays just as hard on his last play at the end of the game that he plays on his first play in the game.

The entire front 7 now plays like that. Cushing, Barwin, Brooks, Smith, and Watt never stop coming and you can tell by the end of the game they wear down the opposition. I hope there's a way we can trade Mario, I'd like to get something for him instead of just letting him walk. But if that's what happens..oh well.
Old 12-24-2011   #11
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude won us the Indy game.

Animals. Cushing, Watt, Reed, Barwin. Animals.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Watt is a damns good player, and I'm glad he is on our team. But he is not a pass rusher.. a 3-4 DE is not a pass rusher.
Old 12-24-2011   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Watt is a damns good player, and I'm glad he is on our team. But he is not a pass rusher.. a 3-4 DE is not a pass rusher.
Watt has had 3 or 4 sacks taken away from him due to penalties..

As a rookie he already has 5.5 sacks (more sacks than Mario had as a rookie) so if you take away his penalties he'd be close to 10 sacks on the season. I'd call him a pass rusher. 3-4 DEs typically aren't pass rushers, but the special 3-4 ends are (B. Smith, R. Seymour, ect)...and I think Watt is one of those special players...he's definitely a capable pass rusher and one of those rare cats who could rush the QB in any defensive front. Hell he could even be a pro bowl caliber DT in a 4-3, there's not a spot on the line that he couldn't play at a very high level..he's very versatile.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-25-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-24-2011   #14
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 50924 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

In a league with honest and competent officiating Watt would have had a great game. In the current NFL, he had a terrible game.

In the future, he should refuse to wear a helmet so when a QB ducks his head down it won't be a helmet to helmet penalty. And instead of letting O Linemen push him into the QB's legs he needs to throw O Linemen into the QB's legs. Coaches need to teach defensive players to grab a QB's throwing arm and don't touch him anywhere else.
Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #15
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Watt could play any position on the 3-4 or 4-3 DLines. I think that the 4-3 strong-side DE would be his best postion, yes he's even more suited for that than 3-4 DE IMO.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read