Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-22-2011   #1
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Barkley Staying at USC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...012-nfl-draft/

Going for the Heisman and a Bowl Game

Makes a USC fan happy but I am sure their are some very upset Dolphins and Browns fans right now
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Barkley Staying at USC

NOT a particularly good decision IMO, but to each their own.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #3
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I think he will still be a top 5 pick.
Old 12-23-2011   #4
SeminoleTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 113 SeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This solidifies USC as a pre-season Top 5 team. They will definitely be a force next year and make a run at the National Title. With RG3, Andrew Luck, and possibly Landry Jones going to the draft this year, I don't think this decision to stay is that bad of an idea. He could easily be the first QB taken next year barring any major injuries.
SeminoleTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #5
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTexan View Post
This solidifies USC as a pre-season Top 5 team. They will definitely be a force next year and make a run at the National Title. With RG3, Andrew Luck, and possibly Landry Jones going to the draft this year, I don't think this decision to stay is that bad of an idea. He could easily be the first QB taken next year barring any major injuries.
I thought USC was still in a bowl ban or did it end this year?
Old 12-23-2011   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
This

But I respect his decision

$$$$, isn't everything and Barkley is an example of what's right in kids today.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a mistake IMO since he's a top 5 pick in the 2012 draft. It's a huge risk just trying to be the #1 overall pick in 2013. Barkley should remember that the All-American LT, Matt Kalil, protecting his blind side is going to the NFL and they'll be starting a new guy next year. He's risking his future in the hands of a new unproven LT and it only takes one blow to the knee to make him a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
This is a mistake IMO since he's a top 5 pick in the 2012 draft. It's a huge risk just trying to be the #1 overall pick in 2013. Barkley should remember that the All-American LT, Matt Kalil, protecting his blind side is going to the NFL and they'll be starting a new guy next year. He's risking his future in the hands of a new unproven LT and it only takes one blow to the knee to make him a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.
Barkley is a different cat. I think he's going to be a good one, a real good one its a just a dream of his & he wants to finish on top instead of suspension filled with dissapointment. Hard to place a value on that.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I thought USC was still in a bowl ban or did it end this year?
I think they will be off probation after this year. They should be bowl eligible next year.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what the percentage is on athletes who say they're coming back but then change their mind as soon as the eligibility date grows closer and closer?
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beat me to it 6151, good post. IMO in most scenarios a top 10 player should always come out and get into NFL coaching asap. There are some exceptions but Barkley should have come out.
Old 12-25-2011   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I think he will still be a top 5 pick.
Never meant he wouldn't be. IMO, the risk of injury in his last year knocking him into perhaps the second round or maybe even out of football is the real risk. The iron is hot and it is risky NOT to strike it. However, if he plays even better this next season he may wind up the number one pick. It is a dice roll, but it seems to have a bunch more downside than upside.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember Matt Leinart played this game a few years ago and it backfired on him. He would have been a top 10 pick after his junior year but decided to stay so that he could party with co-eds in hot tubs, not that it's a bad thing I would if I could, but it cost him draft position the next year. This is a dangerous game to play and it almost never works out for the better.
Old 12-26-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember Matt Leinart played this game a few years ago and it backfired on him. He would have been a top 10 pick after his junior year but decided to stay so that he could party with co-eds in hot tubs, not that it's a bad thing I would if I could, but it cost him draft position the next year. This is a dangerous game to play and it almost never works out for the better.
Leinart is nowhere close to Barkley in terms of talent. Lacks arm strength, accuracy, mobility & least I remind you durability. The only thing in common is their College & position played. Barkley is a true #1 next level mark these words.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

I didn't say Barkley and Leinart were similar in terms of talent. I said that Leinart also played the same game of staying in school to long instead of striking while the iron was hot and it cost him.
Old 12-26-2011   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Barkley's parents are already wealthy. He doesn't need the money.

I love his decision. And I think it's hilarious when a kid gets knocked for going back to school.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

I love his decision. And I think it's hilarious when a kid gets knocked for going back to school.
What do his parents do?
Old 12-27-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

If he's going back to finish his degree that's one thing, but to go back for hopes of a bowl game & Heisman, I couldn't think of any more wrong reasons.

If I'm expected to be one of the first three to go at my position, I'm looking at possible landing spots. Miami would be enticing, so would Washington. Id be upset if I have to go to Jacksonville or Clevland though.
Old 12-29-2011   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he's going back to finish his degree that's one thing, but to go back for hopes of a bowl game & Heisman, I couldn't think of any more wrong reasons.
why? you can finish a degree at any time. there's only one more chance in his life to win a bowl game or a Heisman.

he has money, it isn't an issue to him. btw, the decision to stay hasn't really hurt Andrew Luck any. he'll still be the #1 pick this year. also, that's assuming HE is coming out...

but this does suck for me as a Dolphins fan. maybe we wouldn't have gotten Barkley, but with him out of the draft it just takes away one big prospect that could fall down to us. guess i'll just hope for RG3 now.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
why? you can finish a degree at any time. there's only one more chance in his life to win a bowl game or a Heisman.
I was talking about the decision. bah007 said he "loved the decision"

I'd like the decision if he was doing it because he felt his education was important to him. If he wants to stay to win the Heisman, or win a Bowl game, that's no different than wanting to be a 1st round pick, or to "live his dream" of being in the NFL.

I've got more respect for the decision guys like Shaq & KG made to go to the pros but still finish their education even though they were loaded.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read