Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2011   #61
RunTexans
Rookie

Default Re: I Don't Like The Way Arian Carries The Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Yep. Emmitt rarely fumbled.

Which was why it was so amazing when the Oilers beat the Cowboys way back in 1991 thanks to an Emmitt Smith fumble in overtime.
Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders were also 5'8" and 5'9", when you're as tall as those backs are your center of gravity allows you to run more compact, thats the benefit of being that short.

When you have backs that are 6' or close you need a lot more balance when you run, which means you need more counter balances in order to be shifty and agile. Thats why the pictures i posted with Gayle, Eric, Payton all showed guys who were taller that needed those arms for balance.

not that it contributes to fumbling, but having the compact running style obviously enables you to run with less counter balances, not the case with the taller backs...
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #62
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTexans View Post
Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders ...
Emmitt was incredibly shifty in short space. Not make you miss entirely Sanders shifty but well planned out make a shoulder tackle into and arm tackle and then run through it shifty. Sanders' attempts to try to make people entirely miss also let to a bunch of no gain or negative gain plays. Smith's other talent which often goes unnoticed was the use of his hands. He often deflected arms just pushing them aside. Arian also has great short space awareness and movement especially for a biggish RB.
Old 12-21-2011   #63
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I feel like this is just somebody trying to light fires for no reason.
I'm sensing that you've taken this thread a little too personally and allowed my posts to get under your skin. And I hope thats not true because I've always thought of you as a solid, even-keeled poster and I think people who let message boards get them riled up are silly.

Light fires for no reason? What fires? It's a message board. I made an observation about the way the running back handles the ball, something I think should be addressed before it becomes a problem.

You disagree and that's fine. But perhaps we can keep the disagreement about the subject matter and not about you and me? I can't imagine the subject matter is so objectionable that it calls for an ad hominem attack.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #64
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool. We disagree then. If you would like to respond any of the points I have, his amount of touches, not fumbling more than anyone else, still having elite production, feel free. Otherwise I'll be quiet, seems like I'm offending folks even though I'm not trying to.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #65
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Cool. We disagree then. If you would like to respond any of the points I have, his amount of touches, not fumbling more than anyone else, still having elite production, feel free. Otherwise I'll be quiet, seems like I'm offending folks even though I'm not trying to.
Not at all. We're good.

And I'm happy to belabor the issue (just in case anyone was unclear on that).

He was carrying the ball properly when he fumbled last game
True. And I'm not concerned with that.

He gets more touches than anyone in the league
I haven't checked this but I don't doubt it.

He has only 3 listed fumbles which is fairly average, 2 fumbles coming early in the game where the team had plenty of time to overcome them
True. And what I stated in the first post is that I think it's a minor miracle he hasn't fumbled more.

He has elite production and much respect from his adversaries
True. And I'm pretty sure I've said as much in this thread already.

He has crazy jukes moves that involve his whole body
I'm going to admit that it's possible that part of his magic is that he uses his extremities as a counterbalance when he's faking suckers out of their jocks. It's possible, but I'm not completely buying it.

We are LUCKY to have this guy on our team, for all the diamond in the rough talk let's not forget how ROUGH it was with some of the guys we've seen here
True. And again, I believe I've already stated as much at least once or twice in this thread.

Everyone has flaws. Tom Brady can't run. Dallas Clark can't block. Drew Brees is short. Perfection DOES NOT exist.
Tom Brady's inability to run isn't something he can correct. It's genetic. Drew Brees' height isn't something he can correct. It's genetic. Dallas Clark catches passes well and isn't expected to be a great blocker.

What I've pointed out with the way Arian carries the ball is something that is easily correctable.

So why complain about a guy who is only doing it 98% right?
I'm not complaining---that seems to be a recurring misconception on this thread. I'm pointing out something that should be and can easily be corrected before it becomes an issue. And I would always push a guy even is he's doing 98% right if I know he can get 99% right.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Emmitt was incredibly shifty in short space. Not make you miss entirely Sanders shifty but well planned out make a shoulder tackle into and arm tackle and then run through it shifty. Sanders' attempts to try to make people entirely miss also let to a bunch of no gain or negative gain plays. Smith's other talent which often goes unnoticed was the use of his hands. He often deflected arms just pushing them aside. Arian also has great short space awareness and movement especially for a biggish RB.
I used to fence in the collegiate nationals, and Emmitt's hand moves reminded me of "parrying" with the foil, using the foil to deflect the foil of your opponent and using your opponent's inertia to send him right past you.

VIDEO (see move at 37 seconds)
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #67
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I used to fence in the collegiate nationals, and Emmitt's hand moves reminded me of "parrying" with the foil, using the foil to deflect the foil of your opponent and using your opponent's inertia to send him right past you.

VIDEO (see move at 37 seconds)
Too funny. My son just moved out of fencing after several years and is taking up martial arts. Your analogy is apt. Parry, riposte. Same theory with different terminology.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read