Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2011   #1
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tory Holt: Yates 2nd QB off the board in draft redo

This is all assuming Newton is #1 still, and you're not counting QBs who haven't gotten a chance to play like Kapernick.

Regardless, this is high praise for Yates, and the topic of Yates and the Texans takes up most of the segment.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ.../Draft-do-over
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tory Holt: Yates 2nd QB off the board in draft redo

Just saw this. The guy won a Super Bowl with an undrafted QB so I see why he doesn't care about that "5th round" label.

Also Texans fans should be happy to know Charles Davis is doing the game sunday. He's one of the best analysts out there.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

"i cant believe i'm saying this, but TJ Yates won my fantasy week last week".

priceless.
Old 12-14-2011   #4
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

While I love me some TJ, I'm pretty sure Dalton would be the second guy after Newton. Similar success to TJ, over a whole season.
Old 12-14-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
While I love me some TJ, I'm pretty sure Dalton would be the second guy after Newton. Similar success to TJ, over a whole season.
Ponder as well.

I wonder what makes Holt move Tj up so high when he's seen less of him than he's seen of Ponder & Dalton; especially with Tj being on what appears to be the better team (by a mile).

I like some Yates, but I don't know that I can say he should have been drafted before Newton, Dalton, Ponder, Locker...... Gabbert & Tebow, I can see the argument.
Old 12-14-2011   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder what makes Holt move Tj up so high when he's seen less of him than he's seen of Ponder & Dalton; especially with Tj being on what appears to be the better team (by a mile).
Poise under fire. Part of the reason Yates is going to do well in this league is because he learned to play QB at NC during a time when they had nothing. He played with a team that was bereft of talent much of the time he was there (save Nicks for one year) and had players coming and going all the time because of injuries and suspensions. He never had a clean pocket to work from, yet he still found ways to make plays. So many times you watch a college QB's highlight reel and they have these beautiful pockets from which to throw. Yates was always letting the ball go with a defender's hand (or more) on him. So he's developed downfield vision under fire, pocket mobility, an internal clock, and a quick release. He's going to have a learning curve on reading defenses, calling audibles, and getting in sync with his teammates, but all that is going to be hastened by those traits I mentioned, as well as the fact that he ran a lot of this offense in college.

I'd say Yates in this offense and Dalton are a coin flip for second best pick. Dalton has the track record, so give it to him, but Yates is going to continue making his case throughout the playoffs, while Dalton is at home watching him.
Old 12-14-2011   #7
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Man we got us a player guys we hit it rich in the 5th round nice work!!!!
Old 12-14-2011   #8
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
C'mon man, when they went head to head in Dalton's backyard - Dalton did NOT get it done. TJ did. End of story.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #9
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
C'mon man, when they went head to head in Dalton's backyard - Dalton did NOT get it done. TJ did. End of story.
Dalton has put up almost 3,000 yards and 18 TD's this season. Not saying that TJ does not have the POTENTIAL to have done that, but Dalton actually has done it.

And TJ went against the Cincy defense, which Dalton can't control, and vice versa. From a statistical viewpoint, Dalton's performance was better than his season averages. No picks AND had their offense score on 5 out of their 9 drives.

That loss was squarely on the shoulders of a Top 5 defense that could not stop a rookie QB orchestrating an 80-yard two-minute drill with no timeouts.

I put Dalton squarely ahead of Yates at this point in the season, and I put Ponder and Yates on the same level.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #10
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now, Newton, Dalton, Yates for me.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
I wasn't aware opposing QBs arm-wrestled each other mano-a-mano for a victory. We have a much better team than Cinncy. That's why we won.

However, that doesn't mean Yates has proven to be better than Dalton, who has been the life of his team for the whole season, just as it doesn't prove Jacoby Jones to be better than AJ Green or Kareem Jackson to be better than Nate Clements. It just proves the Texans are better than the Bengals.
Old 12-14-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take Yates over Dalton.

Not that Dalton sucks. I just like tj's moxy.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, it isn't a descussion of Cam Vs Dalton Vs TJ or what ever. It is great to know we seem to have struck a bit of gold (still to be really proven) with our 5th rounder that most went 'Huh?" when he was picked. There is a guy on the main Texans website that is/was a talent evaluator for I think Miami who did a real nice work up on him. The evaluation of his release was very intreguing. Seems MOST good QBs have a release of ~.35-.45 seconds (lots are at ~.45-.55 and up). TJ's is in the ~.25 second range. Very quick and his footwork is real good, so there is some real good talent to work with and get him to improve. May have the real deal on our hands. Too soon to know for sure, but there is real promise.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I like some Yates, but I don't know that I can say he should have been drafted before Newton, Dalton, Ponder, Locker...... Gabbert & Tebow, I can see the argument.
Tebow came out of the 2010 draft.

Yates stats in college compared favorably to Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert. Some guys just slip through the cracks. That TJ was coached by a former NFL offensive coordinator (John Shoop)at UNC can't be discounted in his speedy development as a NFL starter.
Old 12-15-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Very quick and his footwork is real good, so there is some real good talent to work with and get him to improve. May have the real deal on our hands. Too soon to know for sure, but there is real promise.
If you watch his NC highlights & remember back to the preseason, his footwork was crap. From what he showed then & what he's showing now, it shows he is coachable & a quick study.

Old 12-15-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Tebow came out of the 2010 draft.
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yates stats in college compared favorably to Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert. Some guys just slip through the cracks. That TJ was coached by a former NFL offensive coordinator (John Shoop)at UNC can't be discounted in his speedy development as a NFL starter.
True.... true...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read